First look: New foods at Disney's Cars Land
- Hits: 309
Today, I joined a group of more than 30 bloggers and journalists who toured the still work-in-progress Cars Land at Disney California Adventure.
Photography was banned inside the much-anticipated 12-acre land. Let's just say Disney did a great job bringing Radiator Springs to life. The rock work was stunning. It was so authentic, I thought Lightning McQueen, Sally, Mater and Luigi would zoom by me.
But I digress. I'm not here to report about the two new lands opening at California Adventure on June 15. I attended the tour to learn about the new food offerings at Cars Land and Buena Vista Street. (Check out The Register's Around Disney blog for more details on the two new lands.)
I'll be writing a full food report in the coming weeks. However, here are a few highlights from today's tour:
- New dining in BuenaVista Street: Carthay Circle Restaurant and Lounge, Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe, Mortimer's Market and Clarabelle's Hand-Scooped Ice Cream.
- New dining in Cars Land: Cozy Cone Motel, Fillmore's Taste-In, Flo's V8 Cafe
- We sampled a few "roadside" dishes that will be served at Cozy Cone Motel and Flo's. We tried the "ugly crust" pie (shown above), spitfire Rotisserie meats (turkey and pork loin), shakes, a fruit drink dubbed Red's Apple Freeze, baked beans, a veggie Shepherd's pie, and a bread cone stuffed with chili and Fritos corn chips. The latter (sorry no picture) will likely be one of the most unique food items sold in the park. It can best be described as a piece of bread made to look like a roadside cone. It has the texture of a thick pretzel, so it can hold the chili. I was also impressed with the Coca-Cola infused barbecue sauce (shown above) topped on the pork loin. I loved Red's Apple Freeze, which reminded me of the yummy Butterbeer drink at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando. The beverage is made of 100 percent apple juice, passion fruit and topped with an elegant mango foam. I can't wait to try that one again.
- Carthay Circle, Flo's and the Cozy Cone Motel will serve various types of alcohol, including specialty cocktails and beer from Anaheim Brewery and Bear Republic Brewery. High-octane pomegranate and limeade frozen drinks with vodka will be sold at the Cozy Cone Motel.
- Starting Thursday, guests can make reservations to Carthay Circle Restaurant, a 256-seat fine dining restaurant. The seasonally-influenced Southern California menu was created by Napa Rose Executive Chef Andrew Sutton. Reservation line: 714-781-DINE.
- Go to the official Disney blog for more news on Cars Land and Buena Vista Street