Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Movie Music

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Movie Music

Postby mushu mama » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:57 pm

Ok, so what are everyones favourite Disney movie music?
(and no disparaging remarks about princesses this time - I promise)
These are the ones I just HAVE to sing along to ...

Classic Movies:
When I see an elephant fly - Dumbo
Everybody wants to be a cat - Aristocats
Cruella De Ville - 101 Dalmations

Post-Little-Mermaid favourites: these are the top of the lungs ones.....
Reflections - Mulan
Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride - Lilo & Stitch
Under the Sea/Part of your world - Little Mermaid
A Whole New World - Aladdin
Beauty & the Beast - Beauty and the Beast
Colours of the Wind - Pocahontas
God Help the Outcasts - Hunchback
Hakuna Matata/Circle of Life - Lion King
Love the music from Tarzan
You got a Friend in me - Toy Story

Good grief thats a long list - Obviously I'm singing too much :oops: And the funniest part is that I usually have an iPod on at the time. And I hadn't even finished the list yet ....

- Lisa :)

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:13 am

I might have to give this some serious thought. Unfortunately I'm the type of person who simply has the last song I hear on the radio going around and around in my head until I hear something else to take its place.

I can't really think of any classic songs at the moment, everything seems to be more recent stuff.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:02 am

Whoa - nearly all those modern classics are on my Disney playlist on my iPod! I am a huge fan of the movie music (mainly from the Little Mermaid onwards) and have all the soundtracks on CD. In fact, I blame the music for me returning to Disney movies - ever since I accidentally saw a special on the making of Beauty and the Beast on Channel 7 in 1991, I've been buying the soundtracks, watching the movies and meeting up with you fine people!

"A Whole New World" is the song I sang to myself when I did my first solo flight in an aeroplane back in 1993. My flying instructor got out of the plane - I took off, and sang that whole song in the three minutes it took to do a circuit of the airport. Everytime I hear that song, I remember that moment.

As with Tarzan, I also like the Phil Collins songs from Brother Bear - especially "Welcome". I had pretty much forgotten this soundtrack until last year when that song was used as the main theme for The Parade of Dreams at Disneyland. When I got home, I revisited the soundtrack and found it was really good.

"Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride" - awesome (an underated song - but features in the Golden Mickeys stage show at Hong Kong)

"God Help the Outcasts" - also underated and generally unknown - but once again a great song and soundtrack - although many people thought it too "adult".

"I Won't Say (I'm in Love)" sung by Megara in Hercules - this is a cool song but way too short. Easily the highlight from this album.

"Circle of Life" - I love the opening scene of the Lion King, probably the greatest Disney opening scene ever - I love how the very last second of this song (the big drum/orchestral hit) corresponds with the black background and the red Lion King title on the screen - an amazing sequence (cold shivers!) I waited months for the release of this soundtrack, harrassing my local music store for a release date, only to be faced with vague pimply faced, gothic shop attendants wondering what I was talking about!

"Bare Necessities" - this is the only song I like from the Jungle Book! The others were to jazzy and random sounding. I think this is the most over rated Disney soundtrack ever. Sure there are other poor soundtracks, but everyone says they are poor - however with this movie, most people say the music is great...it is not for me however :)

"Belle" from Beauty and the Beast, this introduces Belle and Gaston and the town and all their relationships - all in 5 minutes and 9 seconds - with great animation - I love it and know it word for word...(yeah, yeah - I'm a little sad...)

Other favourites (in no particular order)
"Under the Sea"; "Part of Your World"; "Once upon a time in New York City" from Oliver and Co.; "Beauty and the Beast"; "Mine, Mine, Mine" from Pocahontas; "Colours of the Wind"; "I'm Still Here" and "Always Know Where You Are" from Treasure Planet - probably Disney's only genuine animated movie rock ballads but I like them both; "I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan (who'd ever think I'd like a Donny Osmond song!)

These probably make up the majority of my most listened to Disney movie songs...
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:59 pm

I am a huge fan of the movie music (mainly from the Little Mermaid onwards)
Money doesn't make the world go round - music does- but especially Disney movie music :)

"A Whole New World" is the song I sang to myself when I did my first solo flight in an aeroplane back in 1993. My flying instructor got out of the plane - I took off, and sang that whole song in the three minutes it took to do a circuit of the airport. Everytime I hear that song, I remember that moment.
Wow. What an amazing memory - and so appropriate, all that flying around and all!
"I Won't Say (I'm in Love)" sung by Megara in Hercules
I can't believe I forgot this one - its one of my all time favourites too.
I love the opening scene of the Lion King, probably the greatest Disney opening scene ever
Ok theres another thread right there!

Since the Little Mermaid I think the correlation between the music/storyline/animation has been taken to another skill level. Its way more seamless. You get lost in it so easily. You kind of 'feel' the story rather than just watch it perhaps

"Belle" from Beauty and the Beast, ... - I love it and know it word for word...(yeah, yeah - I'm a little sad...)

Not sad at all, actually I know it word for word too and- to the kids disgust- always sing along!

I guess the Disney music is a 'portable' layer of Disney. I love that. I have the "Ultimate Disney Collection" CD as I type this - I defy anyone to sit still while that music is on! Hakuna Matata

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:42 pm

I'd forgotten what a great CD "The Ultimate Collection" is :

These will give you chills if you ever have the chance to listen to these versions -
- Beauty and the Beast - Peabo Bryson/Celine Dion
- If I never knew you (Pocahontas)- Secanda & Shanice
- When you wish apon a star - Eternal

My Dad played Honkytonk piano so I love Jazz. The Jazz version of Cruella De Ville on this CD is fantastic. The Trumpet riff in the middle would make a great strip (tease) song - for those inclined :wink:

Has anyone heard the CD " O Mickey Where art Thou?" I think I'll get that one next!

- Lisa :D

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat May 06, 2006 3:28 pm

I just got a copy of "Classic Disney: 60 Years of Musical Magic" a 5 CD set, is this the one you're talking about?

As for the song that I hum the most, I've spent the last week at work trying to figure it out and unfortunately it isn't a Disney one. There is a guy I work with who only seems to be able to whistle one song and it's that "Billy don't be a hero" one. Damned song gets stuck in my head and I can't get rid of it. :roll:

The opening of Lion King is the one that still gives me goose bumps. "Belle" from Beauty and the Beast is the one that I know all the words for but that's just because I have the hots for Belle. :oops:

Greg

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat May 06, 2006 3:49 pm

Nope. This one is called 'the Ultimate Disney Collection'. Single disk. It is all movie songs sung by celeb singers. Its my favourite

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun May 07, 2006 7:56 am

Just came up with another one (as I sit here listening to it).

Rhythm Of The Pride Lands by Lebo M.

It may not strictly be from a movie but it was certainly inspired by and if you like that African feel then it's amazing.

Greg

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun May 07, 2006 8:54 am

What? you're listening to Disney Music?
Then my work here is done...

- Lisa.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Direct to Video Disney Movies

Postby KeithS » Sun May 07, 2006 2:29 pm

Rhythm of the Pride Lands is an awesome CD - and I believe some of that music was ultimately used in the Lion King's direct to video sequels (which I've never seen).

Okay, there is a new topic - who watches the direct to video Disney movies? I have never seen any of them!
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Direct to Video Disney Movies

Postby calisota » Mon May 08, 2006 1:34 pm

Okay, there is a new topic - who watches the direct to video Disney movies? I have never seen any of them!
Ahhhggghhh, he screamed tearing his eyes from their sockets. I've seen a couple but am really trying to avoid the ones that are sequels to my favourites.

I have seen a few episodes of the TV series of Aladdin and thought that the voice of the Genie was pretty good, Dan Castellaneta of Homer Simpson fame. Saturday morning cartoons haven't been the same since Ducktales and Darwing Duck finished.

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon May 08, 2006 9:07 pm

I don't mind the TV versions at all. Aladdin, Stitch, Tarzan, even the Little Mermaid, were all okay. I just avoid the DVD sequel movies.

I also like some of the other Disney TV animation - Kim Possible is cool (I try and watch it on Saturday's - just depends how hard Friday night office drinks were...) And Buzz Lightyear is good too (with Patrick Warburton voicing Buzz). One thing I don't like is American Dragon...just gives me the creeps, and the worst theme song ever!

I never saw Ducktales - obviously a major gap in my life!
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon May 08, 2006 9:23 pm

I also like some of the other Disney TV animation - Kim Possible is cool

I really enjoy Kim Possible too. Only ever get to see snippits though cos I'm usually getting ready for work. Love the Lilo and stitch series as well.
One thing I don't like is American Dragon..
Don't even know this one. Sounds like that is a good thing!

I never saw Ducktales - obviously a major gap in my life!
Ducktales and Darkwing Duck were great. Sorry Keith but that really IS a gap.....

- Lisa. :)

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon May 08, 2006 9:30 pm

American Dragon is sometimes shown on Saturday Disney and the Disney Channel. It features a 'hip' high school kid who can turn into a dragon...

I don't like the characters, the stories, the animation or the music...

Here is the website
http://psc.disney.go.com/disneychannel/americandragon/

I'll have to do some Ducktales research now! I'll check the Disney Channel guide (I never watch the Disney Channel for some reason, and I've had it for 2 years! I guess I'm scared over overdosing.)
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon May 08, 2006 9:44 pm

Just watched the theme song and I still have never seen this - must be on when I've gone to work. I'm less than impressed with it though. What a banal song - not one of Disney's finest moments.

... And shame on you for having the Disney Channel and not watching it... There could not possibly be Disney overload.....

Lisa. :)

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Music”