Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Music in Animation

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Music in Animation

Postby KeithS » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:48 pm

Alright, so I was sitting around on the weekend and this thought came to my head - what was the last Disney animated movie in which the characters actually sang the songs?

I started looking backwards and I think Mulan is the last film where there was a significant amount of character singing. There was a small portion in Tarzan and I think also The Emperor's New Groove (I might be wrong there) but nothing since. Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons...

So, have animated movies lost a bit of their magic because of this omission? Is this why the more recent Disney offerings have not seemed quite as good as the hey-days of the late 1980's - 1990's? Do we need to see a return of the traditional Disney musical, or do you think the more recent style with a pop/rock soundtrack is more in keeping with today's audience?

Let the discussion begin :)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:49 am

Interesting topic Keith, and not one that I put much thought to. But you're right, the music now is seen as an addition or enhancement to the story or scene, rather than part of the movie and character's personality. Brother Bear did touch a little with the small bear (can't remeber the name at present) seeing the end line of "On My Way", but that's it.

I do feel your comment on keeping with today's audience is highly likely, and I will admit that the music used in the later movies is more wide reaching in audience appeal. For example the Brother Bear and Country Bears (not animated I know but similar style) are great soundtracks to listen to the whole disk. I also think that the move away from "musical" style movies is in keeping with the movie industry on a whole. When was the last time we saw a really good musical style movie? (Chicago was the only one to comes to mind, and that was even based on an old broadway show).

I would like to see a return to the old musical style animated movies, but am also enjoying the music soundtracks from the current offerings as well.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Music in Animation

Postby mushu mama » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:12 am

Ok, intital thoughts....
Mulan is the last film where there was a significant amount of character singing.
This has brilliant songs... I love the music in this one - reflections is one of my all time favouite Disney songs. But then I love the entire thing so its a no brainer really.
Tarzan
LOVE the soundtrack to this - can't go past Phil Collins, he's a master.
The Emperor's New Groove
Can't even remember the music from this...
nope....
nothing springs to mind.
Lilo & Stitch,
Love the music but frankly, it would have been weird for Stitch to be singing :shock:
Treasure Planet, Atlantis
Can't even remember hearing the music. Must have blended well or been insignificant .... not sure which.
Brother Bear,
Can't remember the music from this but I do remember trying to get the music from BB 2 because it was really good, and not even being able to find it anywhere. (does anyone know where I can get this, I still want it)
Home on the Range, Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons...
the rest I either didn't notice or haven't seen yet.

So, have animated movies lost a bit of their magic because of this omission? Is this why the more recent Disney offerings have not seemed quite as good as the hey-days of the late 1980's - 1990's? Do we need to see a return of the traditional Disney musical, or do you think the more recent style with a pop/rock soundtrack is more in keeping with today's audience?
Ok... well, I think that having the soundtrack as a background works for more modern offerings like Lilo & Stitch.
But as a rule, I think that despite the oft maligned 'singing animals' thing that people love to poke fun at Disney movies with, all those 'singing animals' are in movies that are absolute classics that people the world over love. So there has to be some connection. I think that if it is embedded in the story then it has more impact than if its just a veneer.

And I think thats why one of the only recent movies to have spurred me to buy the soundtrack ( Cars notwithstanding - that one was brilliant) was Brother Bear 2 because the character actually sang the song that made me teary, and thats the connection I want from music in a movie. I want to feel like I'm there.

So, yep, I do think that moving away from the 'singing animals' thing hasn't worked out so well, but maybe they needed to do that to see that its part of the magic after all.

Phew....

Capeesh?

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:21 am

I would like to see a return to the old musical style animated movies, but am also enjoying the music soundtracks from the current offerings as well.
Anthony, this probably sums up my thoughts on this too. I have nothing against the current soundtracks, I think that most of the original songs are brilliant (Brother Bear springs to mind - Lisa you have to get the BB soundtrack, it is also by Phil Collins and IMHO it is slightly better than his effort on Tarzan) - but I think the films themselves lack a little something from not tying in the musical with the narrative - the songs are there just for the sake of having songs.

And another thing - whatever happened to commercial radio releases of Disney end-title songs? In the early 1990's they were all going into the top 10 - but when was the last time we had anything like that? Does Disney even attempt to market their songs to the wider audience these days? I remember listening to the American Top 40 countdown in the weeks leading up to a Disney movie premiere, because they'd always play the songs on there before their Australian release - then I'd be stalking the local record shop waiting for the single :)

As for Lilo & Stitch - yep, there is no way they could have him singing - that would have been wrong :) and I've no problem with how the music in that film is handled!
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:19 pm

Keith, a good question regarding the pop releases of the major movie songs. Popular releases of Beauty and the Beast and Aladdins A whole New World were very successful. I suggest though, that you have a read of this article. It seems to explain somewhat what is happening at Disney music and goes some way to answer your question.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news ... htm?csp=34
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:48 am

I suggest though, that you have a read of this article.
Thanks for that, it was a great article that put things into perspective. I guess I just forgot all about HSM etc.

Disney no longer have to concentrate their music releases at the adult contemporary level, and why should they? Many in the 25+ age group would probably just download the tracks these days anyway, whereas the 9-14 year old bracket will get the albums purchased for them for birthday/Christmas presents by their parents. When you read the sales numbers, you can see this effect occurring.
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:34 pm

- Lisa you have to get the BB soundtrack, it is also by Phil Collins and IMHO it is slightly better than his effort on Tarzan)
I went out and bought the DVD of BB2 today, so I can hear that song again. Its every bit as good as I thought it was the first time.

I'm not usually into the sequels that much, but this one is a good one. But I primarily bought it so I could hear that song again. :)
... well, that and I hadn't bought a DVD in ages and it was time.

OH... and I think that Disney concentrate way too much on the teenyboppers for my liking... but that might be because I'm so far from that demographic now that it irks me..... :)

And I'm going to keep a look out for the BB soundtrack, if its better than Tarzan I'd like to hear it.
~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:46 pm

OH... and I think that Disney concentrate way too much on the teenyboppers for my liking...
Della and I were discussing Disney marketing the other day - Australian Disney marketing to be exact.

We tend to find that the marketing here is very kiddie based - pretty much ignoring the young adult and beyond sector.

Case in point - when the Meet the Robinsons TV commercials were on the air - they were poorly edited to appeal to a very young audience. For example, they featured the high-pitched scream of the caffeine patch scene (because it was a funny noise for kids) but didn't show the actual reason why she was screaming (the caffeine overdose, which would appeal to adults). All the TV ads I saw were of this nature - just quirky juvenile scenes not in their context. Adults who didn't know better wouldn't be bothered going to see the film because the ads teach them it is just "for kids". I'm not talking about the cinema trailer here - just the TV ads.

You can be sure the Shrek 3 TV advertisements will be of broad content, with kids and adult content ads.

When I speak to anyone at work - they all associate Disney with kids stuff - I think the company has some issues with image in Australia, by aiming at kids, they are missing out on a sizable market with money to spend... not us of course, because we are fans - but so many other people out there! Walt's idea was to produce entertainment that everyone would enjoy - he was said to have never aimed it towards children.

Okay, that's my daily rant :)
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:02 pm

Lisa, if you're going to look for the BB sound track, be prepared for a long journey. I searched high and low for it, and eventually had to buy a copy from a second hand record retailer in Parramatta. I was on the verge of ordering it from a place in San Diego because it was no-where to be found here. It was however, very much worth the search. Good Luck!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:09 am

I had to revisit this topic, after listening to my iTunes collection today. I play it on shuffle, so I can go from AC/DC to Cold Chisel to a Disney song to REM etc. I love variety!

Anyway, after listening to the courtyard song from Beauty and the Beast, I again thought that much of what is missing from modern day animated classics is the music interaction. B&TB, Alladin, Hunchback, Pocahontas and the like, were all classics because of the interweaved and classic music. We have discussed already the need for Disney to use standard soundtracks to back movies and not involve the characters, and I will say that the more I think about it, the more I want to see Disney Animation return to the classic formula that was re-birthed during the golden eras of the 80s and 90s. Involve the characters with the music, make it part of the complete package. Hopefully with the success of Enchanted which did this, sometimes, that they take it further and use it for future movies like the Frog and the Princess for example. We'll have to wait and see. Anyway, just thought I would revisit this discussion, we shouldn't lose sight of it.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:27 am

I'm hoping that they do this with the Frog Princess... There would be some lovely soul music that they could intertwine with the story being set in the south. Anyone heard anything about the music from this movie?

Part of the reason I loved Enchanted quite so much was the singing characters... it just seems to be a winning recipe. Strong character interaction with both dialog and music. Can't beat it.

I agree Anthony, I think the music has taken too much of a back seat to the 'merchandising ops' that other aspects of the movie might. I use music to punctuate my day though- every day - so I guess I'm a little biased. :)

Lisa. -/

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Part of the reason I loved Enchanted quite so much was the singing characters... it just seems to be a winning recipe.
Absolutely correct - I loved this film for its music and the fact it was interwoven into the story (I sort of liked Giselle a bit too :) )

I really hope that The Princess and the Frog is driven by character music - and for that matter, Rapunzel as well.
Roll on the next couple of years!

I don't hold out much hope for character singing in Bolt - I'm guessing it'll have a contemporary soundtrack in the background, but not character driven.
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:50 pm

I don't hold out much hope for character singing in Bolt
Looking at the trailers, it probably wouldn't fit anyway.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:01 pm

Looking at the trailers, it probably wouldn't fit anyway.
That's right - I wouldn't expect it, it just wouldn't fit right. But maybe they are making the wrong type of movie?? Maybe Disney fans want to see the old-style sweeping animated epics featuring songs...
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:24 pm

And I think that's the point Keith. Movies like Meet the Robertsons and Chicken Little have been only warmly accepted by the audiences, but Enchanted did well. I suspect that there is an expectation, and rightly so mind you, that from Disney we get classics with singing and all that goes with it. Pixar are the people who are supposed to bring us animated comedies, and Dreamworks are the ones to deliver the adult humoured kids movies. That's the way it is! So now if we can just get some more of the musical animated classics from Disney, we'll all be happier chappys and chappettes.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Music”