Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Is Disneyland Over Subscribed?

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Is Disneyland Over Subscribed?

Postby KeithS » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:12 am

If you were at the meeting on Saturday night, you would have seen Lauren's images of the long crowds at the bag check waiting to get into the esplanade between DCA and Disneyland.

Waiting over an hour for a bag check is not my idea of a relaxing holiday, neither is getting up at 6am to be the first in line to avoid those long delays.

I also see images on various websites for the parks, showing massive queues everywhere - at all times of the year.

When I think back to my first visit in 2005 (for the commencement of the 50th anniversary) we were still able to walk on to most rides (except for the actual anniversary day which was busy).  Now, there is no downtime throughout the year.  Disney have been trying to adjust this through changing AP pricing and single day tickets, but with all the new offerings (and Star Wars around the corner) - the parks continue to get busier.

So the question is - has the resort (and other parks around the world - not just Disneyland US) become the victims of their own successes?  At what point do the crowds become so large that you begin saying - hmmm...maybe not this year?  Is there a point where the crowds and waiting get too much to make the overseas trip not worthwhile - perhaps opting for other options like the cruise line instead of the parks?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Is Disneyland Over Subscribed?

Postby calisota » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm probably in the minority because a number of the big ticket rides don't appeal to me. It doesn't worry me how long the queue to Space Mountain is because I won't be going on it. I tend to spend most of my time just walking around and going on rides if I stumble on one with a short queue.

I am annoyed by the queue to get in however. It seems to be the worst managed of all the queues you will encounter over the day. Quite often the majority of it is not under any sort of cover. There is no theming or anything to take your mind off the queue. There is much less organisation of the queue in regard to a single line or guide ropes. Hong Kong and Shanghai are the most recent ones I've been to and I seem to remember them both being a bit of a free for all. For an organisation that invented the efficient and entertaining queue this does seem to be a failing. 

Greg 
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:19 pm

The bag check line is a bottle neck, and it is something that needs to be reviewed across not only Disney but all parks.  We tried to enter the parks early on Thanksgiving last year and waited nearly an hour in the bag check line.  It’s unfortunate that we need the lines anyway but the state of the world dictates that it is necessary.  I don’t think it’s an oversubscription issue, because those bag checks are at the entrance to Downtown on the west side and at the transport hub on the east.  Universal use airport style scanners which perhaps Disney could employ, but having said that, their process wasn’t much quicker.  I think the solution is not to take a bag, because we sent the girls through without bags and they literally walked straight through.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:32 pm

I think the solution is not to take a bag, because we sent the girls through without bags and they literally walked straight through.
I did find that to be the case, to a degree, at Shanghai. Once someone spotted that I didn't have a bag they called me up to the front of the line and let me go through. Of course then I had to queue up again to show my ticket at the turnstile. 

Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:42 pm

I'm with Greg about the big ticket rides, I don't do them, however I do jostle for a space for parades and fireworks. In relation to a bag though, I take too much 'stuff' with me to go without one.  Disneyland in late January (2014 & 2017) was pretty easy, I'm thinking this next trip will be a different story.

I would agree they are a victim of their own success in many ways, partly Disney's success in great merchandising. We have a more merchandise focused society (me included) and are choosing to spend our disposable income on experiences to take us away from the everyday (again - me included :)).  I just hope they increase prices out of necessity and not to try and lower numbers in the parks.
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:15 pm

I just hope they increase prices out of necessity and not to try and lower numbers in the parks.
Unfortunately I think this is a big reason for the price increases.

Greg

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disneyland”