Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Disneyland Surge Pricing

Kevin
A Ticket
A Ticket

Disneyland Surge Pricing

Postby Kevin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:22 am

FYI folks.  There is now 'surge pricing' at Disney resorts.    "Disneyland Introduces Seasonal Ticket Pricing; 1-Day Passes Will Cost $119 At Peak Times. 

Surge Pricing at Disneyland

its not Just Disneyland but also Disney world I believe.  Not sure about elsewhere in the world. 

Of course if you chose a low use day then its a little cheaper.

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Disneyland Surge Pricing

Postby ajp » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:40 am

Thanks Kevin. Yes Disneyworld have also introduced this, and even have different rates for MK as against the other parks.

I haven't been to others, but in research I've done for possible trips, Tokyo and HK have seasonal pricing.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:51 pm

While I understand the 'why' it will certainly eat into the budget if you want to go to their special offerings like Christmas or just to escape our winter... disappointing, but I guess not all that unexpected.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:45 am

I've seen a lot of talk about this surge pricing but does it even affect us?  I thought this was only for single-day tickets?

Who from Australia would ever buy a single day ticket?  We would always get a multi-day park hopper and as far as I'm aware, and those tickets are unaffected as they are issued for a length of time stay and are priced the same whether it is a quiet period or whether you go in peak Christmas time.

The only people I thought would care about this are locals who don't have annual passes (have I got this wrong?)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:38 pm

Who from Australia would ever buy a single day ticket?  
The only time I could think that I would buy a single day ticket is if I happened (?!) to be nearby for some other reason and had a day free. Then I would just be paying "the price" because that was the price. If that was the only day I could go then I doubt I would decide not to just because it would have been cheaper some other day. The only places I've bought one day tickets were Hong Kong and Tokyo and that was because I only had one day to visit. I didn't even think about it, just forked over the cash.

It may make me think about juggling a long term trip to another date but I would have to think about whether the difference in price and the saving is worth the potential hassle caused somewhere else in the process. Accommodation costs are already variable.

Greg 
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:00 am

I certainly agree with it probably not effecting those of us who travel from here and are Disney nuts, and definitely not those of us who travel solo or only with adults who can afford to pay their own way... I was thinking of it more so from the stand point of a couple of my friends in the US who have certainly had to reconsider the dates of their family trip to Disney.  When they factor in the price for each family member ( 2 parents, 4 kids with grandparents in tow) it effected how they were going to purchase food ( now opting for quick service rather than sit down meals) and also when they were going to travel, they are now considering pulling their kids out of class - which could also attract a fine for doing  so. It will definitely effect how they can choose to 'do Disney'.   It brings the pricing style into line with many other travel related expenses, but I can see how it will effect those in different circumstances was all I meant.

I think it might surprise you how many Australians do just buy a one day ticket... when I was working for Escape, I booked quite a few Disneyland trips and without exception, they considered it a 'one day thing' and that's what they booked. The perception was that it would be like Movieworld on the GC and one day would be fine.  Any further discussion was seen as upselling.  That was my experience anyway.. 
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Wow. I wonder how many people get to WDW, realise that they are only going to see a fraction of it in a day and burst into tears.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disneyland”