Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Walt Disney Family Museum

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Walt Disney Family Museum

Postby Mel » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:08 pm

I know this isn't in Disneyland, but I couldn't think of where else to put it!

Our big trip is coming up later this year and I'm trying to hash out our days (geez WDW had changed since I was last there :shock:).  I'm now at the SFO part of our trip and I'm trying to imagine what we'll be doing there.  My one and only experience with San Fransisco was not all that pleasant.  My girlfriend and I were chased down the street at Fisherman's Wharf by a beggar who was very aggressive and screamed obscenities at us.  We were reluctant to venture out much after that!  Anyway, I'm willing to give it another chance, but only a brief one.  We'll be in SFO for two days and one night.  Of course I need to visit the WDFM, but I don't think the boys will be that interested.  I may be able to get half a day out of them.  Will this be enough?  I have a feeling I'd happily spend all day in the museum, but I can't expect Craig to be happy about me ditching him with the boys for a whole day (especially after I'm doing exactly that at Islands of Adventure for WWoHP!).  My other plans for the two days include; the California Academy of Science (right up the boys' alley), an Alcatraz tour (again, the boys are very excited about the idea) and using a cable car to get to at least one of these places just so we said we can do it.  I'm thinking of getting the Citypass as it includes the Monterey Aquarium - which we'll be at the day before.  We will be arriving into SFO early from Monterey, by car and fly out the following night very late so we'll have pretty much two full days.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  I most likely won't get back to the WDFM for a number of years and it'll be over a decade before we can travel without the ratbags in tow.
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Walt Disney Family Museum

Postby calisota » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:24 pm

I can't speak for the WDFM but Alcatraz is a great trip, highly recommended. 

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Walt Disney Family Museum

Postby KeithS » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:29 am

You could easily spend the whole day in the family museum.  We thought we'd get through it before lunch, but we ended up getting kicked out at closing - it was that good.  Even then we didn't read every plaque etc.

Other things in SF - definitely go to Alcatraz - that was another great day trip.  We also had fun at the maritime museum down on the waterfront - it is right across the road from Ghirardelli Square where the chocolate shop is.  Also you can visit the Cable Car Museum (on Mason Street) which is also really good (sorry, most of these places are great for the boys - maybe you should just dump them with a map to these places and spend the day by yourself in the WDFM!)

Actually getting on a cable car can be a bit of a pain - I've only done it once as every other visit we've made has seen long crowd lines and it takes forever to load.

But there is plenty to do there, especially if you are there just a day and a half so I think the boys won't get bored.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disneyland”