Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

MyMagic+ Coming to Disneyland

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

MyMagic+ Coming to Disneyland

Postby KeithS » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:18 am

In an interview with the Orlando Sentinel this week, Tom Staggs announced that they'd be rolling out the MyMagic+ system in Disneyland in the near future (as well as at other parks around the world - I'd imagine that Shanghai will open with it already in place).

No actual timeframe yet on when it will hit Disneyland, but I guess it was inevitable that it would make its way over to the west coast eventually.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: MyMagic+ Coming to Disneyland

Postby ajp » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:00 pm

It appears by all indications the WDW experience has been very successful, so it was just a matter of when not if. A positive by product is free wifi throughout the parks, however I'm sure for the number of positive experiences people are having there would be as many negatives with the whole program.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:02 am

Yes - I have to admit that I really enjoyed using MyMagic+ in WDW and I think it is a great system for short-term visitors (i.e. not locals) like ourselves. With MyMagic+ you are basically guaranteeing access to attractions that are your favourites, so if you spend a week in Disneyland, you'll get to ride your favourites spread over that week, despite how busy it is (or have good viewing locations for shows, fireworks etc too).

I also think it encourages spending, I knew I was buying more with the magicband due to its convenience. I don't even mind that Disney is tracking me (in reality, everyone is being tracked by corporates these days - Apple, Google, Disney - you name it) - besides, I'd rather Disney know how much I'm spending with them so hopefully I'll get some benefit back in the long run like upgrades/discounts (might be wishful thinking here but we can dream!)

I think the people who will need to change will be the annual passholders - it is not that they are being disadvantaged, it just means that they'll need a cultural change to enjoy the program. At the moment, they are happy coming in to the park whenever they can and just grabbing an early morning fastpass for whatever takes their fancy and I think that will no longer be quite so easy for popular rides as they'll already be booked out. I do feel sorry for them, because they will have to change (imagine if the council here said we'd have to start paying $20 to visit a beach so that us locals don't take up all the good spots on the sand for the overseas tourists who are happy to pay for their one-off visit - we wouldn't be too happy about it. That's the sort of cultural change the APers will have to deal with.) Still - as the APers are on the spot, they will be the first ones to work out the best ways to rort the system eventually and we'll get back to the old equilibrium where they have the edge over the casual visitors - it always works that way!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:44 pm

You make some valid points Keith, but your final comment I think is what will transpire. There isn't much noise from the AP holders on the East coast, which would indicate they've worked it out. And I'm aware that the west coast AP holder has a different culture completely, but they will work it out quickly and make it work for themselves.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disneyland”