Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Nemo Sub Refurb... permanent or just temporary?

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Nemo Sub Refurb... permanent or just temporary?

Postby mushu mama » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:57 am

SPOILER ALERT - if you haven't seen Frozen, then reading further could spoil your movie experience.

I've been reading a lot about the now closed Subs in Disneyland and the chat is that it will possibly never re-open.

I really like this ride and would be sad to see it go for good, ( and that I won't get a 'last chance' ride when I'm there in Feb) but I also started thinking about what might be a good replacement for it.

So in the interest of speculation what do think should go there?

I was thinking they should do an inside ride that was themed to Frozen ( continuing the Nordic theme of the Matterhorn) that begins in the summer, goes through the blizzards and Elsa's Castle, and then back into Summer again at the end. The important bit would be to use the same technology as Pooh's Hunny Hunt vehicles that work individually to give it a unique ride each time - like the ones in TDL. Maybe a Smell-a-vision room with the Trolls ( that smelled like grass/moss)and the room bouncing like the trolls do and blizzards like the windy day room in the ride in TDL. The ride vehicle could be sled's like Kristoffs that move around the segments in varying routes so its always a new experience . Imagine being in a sled that slips all over the ice in the last scenes and then flows back into the summer.... all to the amazing songs from the movie. So very many possibilities to do ice in new and unusual ways.

Just a thought. :)

So any ideas about what they could do with the lagoon should the subs not return?
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Nemo Sub Refurb... permanent or just temporary?

Postby KeithS » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:56 pm

I don't think that the subs will return - they are expensive and slow at moving people. They have even closed them a day earlier than advertised so that there wasn't a last-day crush of people to trying to have their last ride on Sunday and then being disappointed because of big crowds - they'll just fade into Yesterland I think.

I'm glad I got to ride them before they closed for good - I really enjoyed them.

As for a replacement - I'm not sure. The subs are in a great strategic spot - I guess they'd have to make a decision on whether they want to expand Fantasyland (I love the Frozen ride idea!); or expand Tomorrowland (or even make Tomorrowland a Star Wars Land).

If it was me, I'd probably turn Tomorrowland into Star Wars Land - only because Tomorrowland had never really worked. The future always looks a little hokey and gets dated really quickly. A Star Wars land could be timeless and futuristic at the same time without having to be a "Tomorrowland".

I'm not sure what to do with the land the subs occupy but I do like the Frozen idea - especially next to the Matterhorn. Talking of the Frozen ride idea - I've read some rumours of a Frozen makeover for the Maelstrom ride in the Norway pavilion in Epcot. Lots of people don't like that idea, saying that Frozen isn't set in Norway, but I kind of like it. If it is anything like what Lisa describes, it would be a great ride (definitely needs the music from the movie, but not sure about the troll smell-o-vision!) Having Kristoff-sled vehicles is inspired! There just aren't enough rides featuring ice.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a Frozen ride though - when Tangled was so successful three years ago, there were lots of rumours about how they were going to build a Tangled ride, but nothing came of it! (I can't even imagine a Tangled ride however - except maybe a boat dark ride, whereas there are lots of things that could be done with Frozen).
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:58 pm

The ride has been let go a bit. I rode it twice this visit and a lot of the effects were missing on the left side and the volcano was missing from both sides. If the voice over hadn't mentioned it you would never know anything happened

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:28 am

so sad that the subs have been let go to the point of parts of the experience just not working at all. So disappointing... don't think Walt would have been too thrilled to hear that.

I've also read that the Aladdin show is rumored to be being replaced as well... its going to be down while we are there, which we're quite disappointed about as Millie hadn't seen it and was looking forward to it. There's been some talk of that becoming a Frozen show too. All just speculation though.

I guess that is the downside of lower crowds in Feb - lots of stuff shut... we'll miss Pirates, Splash ( although, I'm not losing sleep over that one), Fantasmic, possibly BTM if it hasn't re-opened yet, IASW, Grizzy River, and a few more lesser attractions that I can live without.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:58 am

I've also read that the Aladdin show is rumored to be being replaced as well
Ahhh - I hadn't heard that. That is a shame as it is a great show. They did announce a few years ago that it was being shut down and replaced by the Toy Story show from the Cruise Line, however there was a big public outcry against that and Disney backed down. I think if it was to be replaced by a quality Frozen show, the outcry would not be as bad.
I guess that is the downside of lower crowds in Feb
Yep - it is the annual refurbishment period. The crowds will be much lower but unfortunately they do shut a lot of rides to get them ready for the US summer crush.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disneyland”