Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

staying dry in DLR and DCA

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

staying dry in DLR and DCA

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:02 am

ok, now this is quite a serious question ....

On our upcoming trip to LA, I am going to be dragged onto every ride in the DLR/DCA area that will likely get me soaked to the skin. In the past I have avoided them like the plague for various reasons, the most significant of which is that I don't want to get wet.

My question is... is there any way to stay dry ( or mostly dry) on these rides? The thought of wet shoes and wet jeans and wet hair for hours after wards leaves me cold and this would annoy me enormously. And would ruin subsequent photos.

Is there a 'sweet spot' to sit on any of the rides that is less likely to get soaked? do the rain poncho's work to keep the bulk of the water off?

I know this is a bit 'girly', and have already been told to 'suck it up princess' by various friends, but any ideas in my quest to stay dry would be gratefully received. :D
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: staying dry in DLR and DCA

Postby ajp » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:53 am

I think the best advice Lisa is to ...

Suck it up! :lol:

Seriously, if you don't want to get wet,avoid them or wear cloths you'll be happy to get wet. It will be warm so this should be possible, surely.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:35 am

Suck it up! :lol:
You beat me to it Anthony! :D

Seriously though Lisa - the only ride you really have to be concerned with is Grizzly River Rapids, because you can get very wet on that. Della hates it for the same reason you do, but she'll ride it with a poncho. I've ridden it many times and haven't gotten wet, yet Della beside me will get soaked - it is the luck of the draw when you go down the big hill at the end of the ride. Try to avoid sitting next to the raft's openings. The raft has 8 seats with two gaps - so it is four by four seating (hint be the second person to get in the raft). Sitting away from the gap in one of the middle seats may help a little. The poncho will keep you dry from water that is deliberately sprayed into the vehicle (this is only light, so no big deal - and is only turned on during hot days which includes when you are there!).

You may get wet on splash mountain too but it'll only be light - if worried, wear a poncho.

And as you'll be there in mid-summer, the heat will dry you pretty quickly. And don't worry about your hair, it'll get messed up by your goofy hat/mouse ears/California Screaming launch/Tower of Terror drop/someone else's fairy floss - in no time at all - so forget all that and have fun!

Don't avoid rides because you "think" you'll get wet or scared - you've been before so you know Disney rides of all types are immensely enjoyable (except the swinging gondolas which are the epitome of evil).

I wish I was going again - I envy you!!!!

PS - here is a before and after shot of Della at Grizzly when I made her ride without a poncho - I told her she wouldn't get wet (I got in BIG trouble that day :) )

Happy Della before the ride

Not so Happy Della after the ride!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:19 pm

No ride could leave you as wet as the Popeye river raft in universal Orlando. They now have drying booths!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Your shower cap is on the way....and.....suck it up princess.

There is one lady coming on the trip who absolutely refuses to get on any ride taht has water near it. She also refuses any ride with a drop bigger than one you may experience driving over a speed hump.

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:15 pm

Sounds like a case of "challenge accepted" Sandie.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:23 pm

:lol:

yep, I'm quite sure I'll HAVE to go on these rides, I'm just trying to reduce the collateral damage to my hair, clothes and shoes... :lol:

will definitely have to start putting some thought into the shower cap... still working on the Walmart ensemble... and OMG its a doozie... hope they haven't brought in the under consideration dress code or we won't get to wear them anyway.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Oh Della... I'm feeling your pain... I'm always the one that gets soaked... :?

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:49 pm

Tube rides I take my runners off and go bare feet. Nothing worse than blisters due to wet feet rubbing in runners. I put my runners in a plastic bag so during the ride they keep dry.

One year my grandmother put on a garbage bag, very funny!

Not that I ever need one but getting wet is a great excuse to buy some Disney clothes. :)
Rick

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:06 am

Sandie tell your friend who doesn't like bumps that she'll get more from turbulence on the plane!

My experience when I went to HKDL with a group of women was that it was the wooses who complained the loudest... So don't go on the ride... See ya!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:33 pm

I like your thinking Beth

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disneyland”