Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Happy Birthday Disneyland

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Happy Birthday Disneyland

Postby KeithS » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:45 am

On this day in 1955 on the south eastern outskirts of Los Angeles - a new entertainment venue opened its gates. The blazing mid-summer sun looked down upon the small town of Anaheim, where nestled amongst the orange groves, Disneyland had sprung up after just twelve months of construction. The opening wasn't Disneyland's most auspicious day; the heat, the overcrowding, the unfinished pavements and water fountains, it was labelled Walt Disney's folly and a complete disaster. And at the end of the day, the cast members had to set about cleaning the place up, restocking food stalls, and repairing rides - so that it could open again the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that.

Many thought that it would fail within a year, but Walt Disney had faith in his idea and had taught those who worked at Disneyland that it was all about show and story and the cast members believed him. The public came back because it was a quality offering and unlike anything seen elsewhere in the world. People still say that only Disney can do Disney - despite numerous other incarnations of theme parks around the world.

After it was opened on that hot day in July 1955, the people continued to come and Walt was never short of money ever again! And for that we can be thankful, for his legacy of entertainment offerings through film and theme parks is second to none, and all of us reading this have shared in many adventures around the world and at home because of the opening of Disneyland - 55 years ago today.

Happy Birthday Disneyland!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Happy Birthday Disneyland

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:05 am

Oh Wow... nicely put Keith.... goosebump material...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DISNEYLAND !!!!

and I also feel compelled to say.... 'Thanks Walt'.... my fav quote has always been " if you can dream it, you can do it" - something I keep reminding myself when my goals seem further away than feels possible.

Have a great time at the meeting tonight guys... wish I could be there to share the fun. :)

Lisa. -/
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:20 am

Oh yeah... and am looking forward to seeing lots of photos from the night...

especially the 'EARS THROUGH THE YEARS' display -/

I'll be wearing mine tonight to celebrate and going to see TS3 this arvo AND cooking our fav Disneyland food for the tribe for dinner tonight.

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:06 am

Happy happy birthday DISNEYLAND -/ -/ -/ -/

Looking forward to Disney on Ice - A Disneyland Adventure at 2.00pm then onto the meeting!!!!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:01 pm

A great prose Keith, well said. Enjoy the night guys and may there be 55 more (at least) for DL.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disneyland”