Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Hotels close to Disneyland

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Hotels close to Disneyland

Postby mushu mama » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:51 pm

Just wondering what hotels everyone has stayed at when they visited Disneyland and what they thought of them.

Has anyone stayed at the Howard Johnson? All the brochures say its ' right next door to Disneyland' but how far is 'right next door' in reality.... and I was wondering if that means I could safely walk back to the hotel after the fireworks for instance. I'm not worried about walking to and from DL in the daylight, just at night, given that I will be traveling solo.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks... :D

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:18 am

Right next door yes, but not to the gate!!!!

The Fairfield Inn is the nicest but still a small walk. Last 2 times we stayerd at Parkview INN - the closest to the entrance and got it for $35US a night!

Not 5 star but clean and quiet.

Sandie

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:39 am

I've heard that the Howard Johnson is pretty good. Friend of mine from Brissy stayed there last year and she enjoyed it. For closeness most of the hotels on that strip on Harbor Blvd are within "walking" distance. At least being on your own you're not worrying about others keeping up and complaining.

We've stayed at the Fairfield Inn, it's nice and OK. My parents stay at the Carousel, they're nearly regulars, but they say it's gone downhill of late, but it's still nice.

Our preference is the Anabella. It's newish, rooms are quite nice, and it's a 4 star. A main reason we stay there is it was really the only place within striking distance that has a hot breakfast. Now the downside is that it's at the back behind DCA, but if you're there during a shoulder or high time, then the car park operates. What this means is you wander down the road and there is a back entrance from Katella into the car park and then you jump on the tram that takes you around to the entrance plaza. Very handy, especially at night.

But really you're on your own, there are 3 beautiful on-site hotels that are just calling your name. We've done 2 (DLH and PP) and they are just something special. And getting back at night is a breeze on the monorail or just a short stroll though DTD. So go on treat yourself! :wink:

I wouldn't worry too much about being on your own. I've never seen any sort of trouble there, and if you're walking back at night after the fireworks, there will generally be another couple of thousand doing the same thing, so if you just stick to the crowd, you'll be right. Just get talking to people and it will look like you're in a group anyway. (By the way as I type this, I am being serenaded with When you wish upon a star)
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:59 pm

We've booked 3 nights at the Anaheim Camelot Inn and Suites for 3 nights in October. It includes a continental breakfast, although I intend skipping one morning in favour of Goofy's Kitchen.

The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland 2008 gives walking times to the entrance of the parks:
Disney Hotel 10-12mins
Grand Californian 4mins (to DL as they have their own entrance to CA)
Paradise Pier 14mins
Howard Johnson 10mins
Camelot 7mins
Fairfield 9mins
Carousel 7mins
Best Western 5mins
Park Vue 6mins

Just to mention a few!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Hotels close to Disneyland

Postby KeithS » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:38 pm

Just wondering what hotels everyone has stayed at when they visited Disneyland and what they thought of them.
We've stayed at the Tropicana Inn and the Best Western Park Place Inn - both of these are located next door to each other at the traffic lights on Harbor Blvd - right opposite the entry to the Esplanade.

Both of these were standard hotels with clean rooms - all that we ask for really as we only use them for sleeping - we don't care what sort of pool it has, or car parking spaces etc.

Both provided breakfast - the Best Western's was better as the breakfast was in Captain Kidd's Restaurant next door and they had cereals etc. Tropicana had cereals, but you had to pay extra for them - the free stuff was glazed donuts etc...

The Tropicana's room we stayed in was newly renovated - but not all of them were back then (late 2006).

Being at the traffic lights means these two hotels are the closest you'll get without being in a Disney hotel. You are just 4-5 minutes away, but they are much cheaper than the Disney hotels. There are a few others in the vicinity on Harbor Blvd - the Carousel, Park Vue etc.

Being so close means you can pop over to dump your loot, or to change into warmer clothes in the evening without having to catch a shuttle - very convenient.

Hope all these posts help - are you thinking of heading over there??
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:08 pm

Hope all these posts help - are you thinking of heading over there??
Yep, they help a lot, thanks everyone. There will be lots more questions as I finalise my plans. and thats a big YEP to going to DL. Every time I've planned a trip recently, something has happened to prevent it. This time, I have the money, the time and the inclination to be able to just go do it.
I'm not a 'years ahead' planner. But this trip requires a little pre-planning as I am intending on spending almost a month checking out various parts of the US - 10 days of which will be spent at DL. I want to get that part organised first ( flights/accom/Disney breakfasts etc) and then decide on the other places to see closer to the time. Shortlisted - various national parks and scrapping places. Accom must haves - Proximity to DL, free internet access and decent pillows and hairdryer. :)
Any suggestions and 'don't forget's' will be greatly appreciated.
~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:09 pm

Oh... and I'm determined to get that photo in the California "L" :wink:

Lisa

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:18 pm

At least being on your own you're not worrying about others keeping up and complaining.
yep thats true and was something I had to put up with last time, but I think I might miss having someone to say 'OH WOW... look at that" to as well.
So go on treat yourself! :wink:
that was my first thought, but then I thought of all the things I could buy to bring home with that extra money so have decided to do that maybe next time.
(By the way as I type this, I am being serenaded with When you wish upon a star)

One of my favourite Disney songs... especially the version by Eternal. You guys are in planning mode too aren't you?

Thanks everyone for the great info so far. Stay tuned, there's likely going to be more questions yet.
~ Lisa ~

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:26 am

I think I might miss having someone to say 'OH WOW... look at that" to as well.
True. Sharing the experience is rewarding and valuable. But hey, make the most of it.
You guys are in planning mode too aren't you?
We are, which is turning more into were at the moment. Had a couple of unexpected hits on kitty which has put our plans on the back-burner, but they're not extinguished totally. We'll just put more effort into planning for other people :D
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:54 pm

Accom must haves - Proximity to DL, free internet access and decent pillows and hairdryer. :)
Any suggestions and 'don't forget's' will be greatly appreciated.
~ Lisa ~
The haidryers in a lot of hotels produce as much air as an 85 year old blowing out the candles on a birthday cake. My sister intends on buying a cheapie at Walmart when we arrive and then leaving it when we go home.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Accom must haves - Proximity to DL, free internet access
You'll be pushing hard to find "free" internet access at the hotels in the area. The little Kwik-E-Mart at the front of the Tropicana did have a couple of Internet terminals for a very cheap rate - that is where I updated our trip from. I can't remember how much it was, but you just bought a 5 hour (or so) ticket and you could come back as many times as you liked over the period you were there to use up your hours.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:38 pm

The haidryers in a lot of hotels produce as much air as an 85 year old blowing out the candles on a birthday cake.
:lol: :lol:
My sister intends on buying a cheapie at Walmart when we arrive and then leaving it when we go home.
Now that is a brilliant idea. I do have a pretty good travel one but I was just trying to save myself some weight in the luggage that would be better taken up with Scrapping/Disney stuff on the way back.
I'm more worried about the pillows. :roll: I have traveled a lot of Australia and I almost always take my wizz-bang pillow everywhere I go cos none of them ever measure up in motels ( regardless of the 'is she mad?' looks I get in airports - I've even had someone ask me if I knew they probably have pillows where I was heading :) ) . But taking it O/S might just be going a bit far.

~ Lisa ~

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:53 pm

You'll be pushing hard to find "free" internet access at the hotels in the area.
From what I have been able to find out, the Howard Johnson and one of the Best Westerns ( escapes me which at the moment) both now have complimentary high speed internet in the rooms and for a fee in the foyer. Which was why I was considering it. It might be worth it to me despite being a little way from the main gate so I can email daily.

Course, I've been known to be wrong before :shock:

~ Lisa ~

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:39 pm

I'm more worried about the pillows. :roll: I have traveled a lot of Australia and I almost always take my wizz-bang pillow everywhere I go cos none of them ever measure up in motels ( regardless of the 'is she mad?' looks I get in airports - I've even had someone ask me if I knew they probably have pillows where I was heading :) ) . But taking it O/S might just be going a bit far.

~ Lisa ~
Ah you'll have such magical dreams in your head at night that you won't even notice. :wink:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm

Ah you'll have such magical dreams in your head at night that you won't even notice. :wink:
How right you are :D

~ Lisa ~

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disneyland”