Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Historical memorabilia

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Historical memorabilia

Postby mushu mama » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:42 pm

Just thought I better answer this in the appropriate thread......
And Della even has a Disneyland guide map from 1983 - it is awesome to see it because it was during the Fantasyland rebuild - must be a collectors item now. I love historical stuff.
Was that guide map from a trip Della made?

Old Disneyland memorabilia was what I started collecting second (Comics were the first), and being able to see the changes to the park as its expanded is one of my favourite things.

Today I packaged up my Disney stuff ( so the movers :evil: don't wreck anything), and because I have previously not been allowed to display any of my collection, I discovered some treasures I had forgotten I owned.

Just thought I'd share..... :)

My favourites were in a 1958 blue paper Disneyland bag with a white Tink printed on it. I bought it from eBay a couple of years ago. I actually only bid on postcards, but when they arrived they were in this bag with a heap of other memorabilia. The most exciting was the 1958 guide map, with flyer for upcoming exhibits ( the Matterhorn, Autopia, the Sub ride etc) and an 'I am' sticker from a tour, a fold out flyer/map of the Monsanto house of tomorrow, 1958 guide book, a strip of still packaged slides, the postcards I had bid on and about 3 mega postcards of exhibits that are no longer there. ( I guess it pays to have a good rapport with the seller :D)

And another treasure I forgot I had was a huge fold out park map. I have no idea how old it is, but it has the Upjohn Pharmacy on it so it must be from reasonably early I guess. ( does anyone know when the pharmacy closed and it became a watchmakers? ) It has some wear at the fold corners but I'm going to have a friend on the Sunshine Coast (Suncoast Framing - plug plug) professionally frame it for me when I get there. (Thanks Tim)

Oh .....and a Carlson Doll with its original signed and numbered paper Disneyland exclusive tag. Its dressed in a suede ( I think confederate ) soldier uniform. I haven't been able to find out much about this doll, so if anyone knows anything, please tell me.

Oh.... and a very very old straw donald duck shaped hat with a squeeker bill. From what I can ascertain, these were given out on or within a short time of the park opening, and because of the fragile nature of the hat, apparently very few have survived. I guess I was just lucky to stumble across this one in such good condition.

Needless to say, it took me all day to pack this stuff.... I just kept getting sidetracked :D

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Historical memorabilia

Postby KeithS » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:10 am

Was that guide map from a trip Della made?
Exactly - she went with her mum and dad back in 1983. They were on a business trip but took in a couple of days in Disneyland. She had always wanted to ride the teacups and when she got there, they weren't working because of the major Fantasyland rebuild! Which made our ride on our first day in 2005 so special - she had waited 22 years to get in those teacups...

It must have been a great moment when you opened that package from the eBay seller and found all those extra bits in there! That sounds awesome!

As for the big guide map that has the Upjohn Pharmacy on it, you might want to take a look at this website:
http://www.billlund.com/Mousemaps/index.html
It shows all the fold out Disneyland maps ever produced in each year, including how to spot minor version changes etc. It may help narrow down which one you have. The set of these maps would make a great collection - the only one I have is the 2005 edition :)

Sounds like you have a great collection of interesting items - you may have to post some photos!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:15 am

she had waited 22 years to get in those teacups...
Yep, the teacups are worth the wait.
It must have been a great moment when you opened that package from the eBay seller and found all those extra bits in there!
Yep. This is the look I got first :shock: then this one :D
It shows all the fold out Disneyland maps ever produced in each year, including how to spot minor version changes etc.

Now this was a great site. I'm sure it will be able to shed some light on the age of the map. Only trouble is, It's now buried in an enormous crate! But its going to be one of the first things I unpack to check a few dates etc....
Sounds like you have a great collection of interesting items - you may have to post some photos!
I have thought about that before but not done anything about it. I've often wondered if a separate album in the photos section where we could all show off some of our treasures might not be a bad idea, collectors always like to see other collections.

~ Lisa ~ :)
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:34 pm

It may help narrow down which one you have.
I found it..... My map is from 1968.....

Thanks for the info.... :)

~Lisa ~

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Memorabilia”