Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

The Disney Store

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

The Disney Store

Postby KeithS » Thu May 18, 2006 7:48 pm

This isn't really about memorabilia, but more about nostalgia.

Do you remember the first time you visited a Disney Store?

For me, it was 1996 - I was in the north-east of England, at the Gateway Shopping Centre in Gateshead (near Newcastle). I was just browsing this giant centre, when there in front of me was the gaping doors of the Disney Store.

I didn't even know these stores existed! I was just standing there, dying to go in (but also thinking, "would I look a little nerdy walking in there by myself?")

Nevertheless, I headed in and was amazed by all the goodies. I could have stayed there for hours, but I had to be on my way. Over the next two years I returned to the store to experience that little bit of Disney.

Fast forward to Sydney in 1999 (I think) and I was working with Della (but we were not yet going out) and I listened to her talking about the Disney Store opening in Sydney. Once a week, she would head down there with Nicole (another club member) and come back with a new stuffed character. She would talk about how great the store was etc, but I never headed down there - I always had lunch with mates who weren't very interested.

When Della and I started going out in 2000, I joined her and Nicole on their weekly trips - every Wednesday was "Disney Day" - a trip to the store to check out new merchandise and it was fantastic and fun. Over the years, we spent buckets of money at that store, and also began our association with this club, through Nicole's introduction.

I was transferred to Parramatta in 2002, but fortunately the Disney Store was there too - so although by myself, I could still have a Disney Day every Wednesday (and I didn't feel nerdy anymore).

A couple of times a year, the club would have special nights at the Parramatta store after closing, so all the club members would meet at the store and we'd get special offers on goods, have lucky door prize draws and have a great night. These special nights were always well attended, almost like an extra club meeting. (I even won a Pooh bear in a raffle on one night - he is sitting on the shelf in my bedroom)

When they finally announced they were closing in Australia, we were all devastated, our once a week trips became three times a week, as we tried to soak up the last days. We knew all the staff in the Sydney and Parramatta stores (and some were even club members). It was sad to see the shelves empty, never to be refilled.

I was going to rant on about what a poor decision it was to run these stores out of town, but this article ended up recounting fond memories.

Who else out there liked the Disney Stores and would love to see them come back downunder (you don't need one in each town - just a state captial city shop would be great) - I would certainly be there on opening day, and support the store with my wallet :) I'd love to see a return of quality merchandise - not the dodgy stuff they sell in Targets...

Your thoughts?
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu May 18, 2006 8:05 pm

Because I live so far away from Melbourne, I only made it to a Disney Store a couple of times a year (if that) and spent a FORTUNE. But the time I stood outside the empty closed Disney Store is etched in my brain. I didn't even know it was closing so I was devastated. And Yep, bring it back I say.

~Lisa. :(

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri May 19, 2006 7:15 am

I can remember when one opened just a 20 minute walk away from my home. I was at the opening and spent a lot of money on stuff just because I could, the fatc that I got a free commemorative watch for spending a certain amount had no bearing at all.

After that I started calling in regularly to see what they had but very quickly it became obvious that the store would not last. It was placed in an unfortunate spot in the shopping centre that meant it got very little walk by traffic and had to compete with Target and Kmart (which you had to walk past to get there) selling very similar stuff cheaper. the staff seemed to have been selected purely for their "bounciness" rather than any real love or knowledge of the merchandise and I don't know if Australian shoppers are comfortable with the American level of friendliness that they encountered. I saw a lot of people looking put off by being greeted at the door.

The next problem they had was the merchandise. At the beginning they had a certain amount of collectible items but the vast majority seemed to be clothing and soft toys, both things that could be bought cheaper at other places a few doors down. The collectable items did not last long at all due mostly to the prices that would only have appealed to true collectors and they must be few and far between on the Coast.

I can remember going in and looking at the animation cels they had on display for sale and pointing out to one particular staff member that they had mislabelled them as "original production cels" when they were actually just limited edition sericels. I was told I was wrong and even when I pointed out the embossed seal on the cels themselves that stated they were sericels I was still told I was wrong. I ended up with the store manager coming out and telling me I was wrong and asking if I could prove my claims. I came back the next day with a number of books and magazines and left them for the manager. When I went back to pick them up all the offending labels had been removed but it was some staff member that returned my stuff rather than the manager herself. That put me off the whole place.

Shortly after that anything remotelt collectable was removed from the store and a little while later any clothing for anyone over the age of 8 went as well. The store managed to limp along for a while selling childrens items but I really wasn't sad or surprised when it shut it's doors.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri May 19, 2006 7:49 pm

It is a shame your experience with the store up there was not too good.

The City and Parramatta stores here stayed pretty good throughout their lifecycle. The Miranda store was also very good.

But these stores were made special by knowing the people who ran them and visiting them each week, even if it was just to chat about upcoming stuff, or the anticipation of finding something new and exciting when you get there.
Keith

Trip history:

beli88
A Ticket
A Ticket

Re: The Disney Store

Postby beli88 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Here in Perth Australia, the markets are far enough and I prefer to do shopping online!
Protection!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Here in Perth Australia, the markets are far enough and I prefer to do shopping online!
Shopping online certainly seems to be the best way (short of a trip to a Park :-) ) to get Disney stuff these days. I imagine even more so in Perth. 
Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:06 am

The only problem I have with shopping online is the shipping costs - particularly from The Disney Store.  I've had a few rants about this in the past, especially when you consider how cheap shipping is from Amazon.  But it is what it is I guess; a Disney-fan and his money are soon parted :)
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:54 pm

I know its been a really long time but when there were Disney Stores in Australia did they have online shopping that shipped from Australia?

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:51 am

No - I don't think they did, in fact I'm pretty sure they didn't even have a website for advertising.  Disney's presence (particularly Disney Australia) on the internet back in those days was pretty poor.
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Now I'm trying to do the mental arithmetic and realising that way back then (OMG, I"m old!) I knew a number of people who didn't even have email addresses.  ;-)

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:59 am

Yep - you're old hahaha :)
Keith

Trip history:

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:27 am

I was temping when they shut down the Disney stores in Australia.  It was when I was planning to go back to uni full time (short-lived, I ended up working back there to get money to get married!).  I was temping at Parramatta and spent every lunch break down at the Disney Store, leaving with huge bag fulls of bargains.  I remember these amazing Pooh slippers they had.  I bought myself three pairs and pairs for all my sister, SILs, mum and mum in law for Christmas.  They were seriously the most comfortable slippers I ever owned.  Anyway, I digress!  It must have been 2002 as that was when I was temping
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:03 pm

and spent every lunch break down at the Disney Store, leaving with huge bag fulls of bargains. 
They had decent bargains? My impression, at least of the one near me, was that it was selling the same stuff as Kmart but at a higher price.

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:47 am

It was higher price, but much better quality than Kmart-type stuff.  We loved the Disney Store.

I must have been shopping beside you during that time Mel - I was also working in Parramatta at the time and was at the Disney Store nearly every lunchtime!!
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:26 am

In case you haven't noticed, the Disney Store is gone and has been replaced with shopDisney.
https://www.shopdisney.com/

This includes a new rebranding of their stores around the world.  The stores are going to be more interactive but have less products on their shelves.  Instead they'll have terminals to shopDisney so you can order goods that aren't in store and have them delivered.  The first new store opened in LA this week.

So what do you think of this new concept in retail?  I wonder if they'll improve their shipping costs to Australia?  Anyone want to take a look and get back to us? :)

Here is an article on Reuters about the new concept stores:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-disney-stores/disney-tests-new-store-design-as-shoppers-go-online-idUSKCN1C10NR
Keith

Trip history:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Memorabilia”