Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Disney comics in Australia

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Disney comics in Australia

Postby calisota » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:42 pm

I thought, since comics are one of my first loves and there are no posts in this topic, that I had better start one. :D

Does anyone else collect comics would be a good first question.

I only got back into it when I discovered a Gladstone issue in my local newsagent one day. This was many many years ago now ('80's) and luckily it was Uncle Scrooge #219 with Don Rosa's "Son of the Sun". What a great story to rekindle that Disney comic spirit in me. I now have a copy of that issue autographed to me by Don, framed and on my wall, after writing him a fan letter.

I stuck with the comics all the way through the Gladstone years, then suffered through the Disney years and then rejoiced again at the Gladstone II years. The devastation at the following comicless years was hard to handle, especially since I was able to hear of new Rosa stories being published in Europe by way of the Disney Comics Mailing List.

To again have access to Disney comics in english puts a smile on my face every time I get a package from the Brisbane comic shop I deal with.

I guess my main question here is: are Disney comics for kids these days? Knowing what I pay for them I wonder if many parents would be willing to spend the money. Are they being priced out of the market?

Greg

Lion711
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Lion711 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:27 pm

Hey, Which comic store in Brisbane do you deal with?

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:59 am

I get them from Daily Planet at 144 Elizabeth St. I don't actually go to the shop itself because it's just too far to go but I have a standing order for anything they can find Disney related and they just mail me a packet every so often. Even with the cost of postage it's cheaper than driving there or taking the train. Mind you, with the cost of them it's still over $100 a month!

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm

Yep, I have been 'forced' to buy the odd comic in recent years. Not so much as a collector but as a gathering of memories. We were blessed to have a dad who loved Donald Duck, so mum would buy him comics every trip into town and then we would inherit them all. We literally had 100's but the sad part is when my parents left the farm, they sold all our comics. I only buy a comic if I can remember it from our collection. There were so many but I have no trouble recalling those stories. My favourites were the off beat ones - Feathery Duck, Gladstone, the Beagle Boys, Scrooge, Super Goof and the much maligned Little Woodchucks. Donald goes without saying. We had lots of Mickey ones too but they didn't grab me as much as the ducks.

There nothing quite like finding a gem. And yes, I too spend too much on the ones that I want!
- Lisa.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only comic collector on here, even if I do take it to extremes. :D

Lisa, do you buy the new ones in the newsagent or do you check out second hand stores?

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:48 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only comic collector on here, even if I do take it to extremes. :D

Lisa, do you buy the new ones in the newsagent or do you check out second hand stores?

Greg
I am a seasoned garage-saler ,eBayer and second hand store scrounger. I love the search and the bargain even more. My collection is relatively small but I only buy copies that I remember from our childhood stash. I don't gather them and then stash them - comics were meant to be read. Its mostly about the memories, so I am not precious about handling them. But my Disneyland memorabilia - no ones even allowed to breath on that stuff.
- Lisa . :)

BrizMarc
C Ticket
C Ticket

Re: Disney comics in Australia

Postby BrizMarc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:13 pm

anyone still collecting comics or are they still even avalible?

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Books and Comics”