Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Book/Magazine/DVD/... of the Month Club

Mike
A Ticket
A Ticket

Book/Magazine/DVD/... of the Month Club

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:06 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone else here has numerous Disney books on the go at any one time (not to mention magazine subscriptions, DVDs, etc). My work colleagues are always fascinated at just how many package deliveries I seem to get each month from various Disney sellers around the world!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining me in a "X of the Month Club" to discuss what we're all reading or watching at any one time. We could decide what to discuss two weeks or a month in advance, then chat about our findings here.

Books might be a bit tricky and expensive for everyone to start with but does anyone else subscribe to Laughing Place Magazine or The E Ticket? I'd also be interested in thoughts on the Walt Disney Treasures DVD series, new cinema and DVD releases other than the major event films like Cars, etc, etc.

Let me know if you want to get started!

Mike

WayneG
B Ticket
B Ticket

Postby WayneG » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:36 pm

Mike,

The idea of a Book, Magazine, DVD discussion is a great idea. I subscribe to the ETicket and have also got a copy of the Laughingplace Magazine.
Look forward to meeting you at the Pirates event. A great place to order Disney books is Angus and Robertson Bookshop in the Town Hall Arcade. Great service and a very low shipping fee.

Wayne

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:41 pm

Hi Mike, I love collecting hard cover Disney books - anything on animation, movies (especially The Art of... books) and that sort of stuff. I just don't get the time to read them all :(

I'm currently reading Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston's book, The Disney Villians.

I don't have any ongoing subscriptions for magazines, though my girlfriend Della used to get the Disney Magazine when it was available. I spend my time in Disney websites getting my fix of historical articles. She was also collecting the Australian releases of the Walt Disney Treasures DVDs - it is a shame we only received the first wave. Whereas I collect all the Disney movie DVDs (at least the special editions - Lady and the Tramp is coming next month!)

Still I am happy to partake in any discussions on new movies/books/etc as we see fit. Just get a topic started!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

Mike
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:02 am

I'm currently reading Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston's book, The Disney Villians.
That's one book I've had on my shelf (but not read) for over ten years if you can believe it! I get seduced by the images then don't allow enough time to actually read everything. I'll start reading that now as well and perhaps we can discuss starting next week once I catch up. For everyone else, Frank and Ollie books always seem to be amazingly detailed and well written (like Illusion of Life) so you might want to get a copy and join in!

WayneG, I'm a new e-ticket subscriber so issue #43 is the only current one I have besided the back issues (24 and 25) which I'm slowly collecting. Let's start a Frontierland Pack Mules thread...

m

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:53 am

I've got that one! To tie this in with another thread, I got it from the Cartoon Gallery many years ago and it came signed by Frank and Ollie.

The two of them came to Brisbane a few years ago and did a signing in one of the shops up there. I made the trip and managed to get a heap of stuff signed by them.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Book/Magazine/DVD/... of the Month Club

Postby mushu mama » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:44 pm

Books might be a bit tricky and expensive for everyone to start with but does anyone else subscribe to Laughing Place Magazine or The E Ticket?
Hi Mike, How does the 'Laughing Place' magazine compare to the now finished 'Disney' magazine? I have all but a few issues and loved getting those. I've been toying with subscribing to the "Laughing Place" magazine for a while and wondered what it was like.

And about the new DVD releases - I was reading a write up on the new Brother Bear 2 DVD thats coming out soon and it seems like it might be ok as far as sequels go........ has anyone else heard anything about this one?

And what on earth is a 'Frontierland Pack Mule' when its at home? Not another 'secret mens business' thread I hope! [-X

~Lisa :)

Mike
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:26 pm

Hi Mike, How does the 'Laughing Place' magazine compare to the now finished 'Disney' magazine? I have all but a few issues and loved getting those. I've been toying with subscribing to the "Laughing Place" magazine for a while and wondered what it was like.
Hi Lisa,

I used to LOVE The Disney Magazine but then started to lose interest when they dropped the "The" and it just became "Disney Magazine" somewhere around 2000 I think. Apparently the change in format and eventual discontinuation was due to the availability of Disney info on the web but I'm sure you'll agree, it's always nicer to read something on paper and really study the pictures. I thought the magazine towards the end had become too general and was almost like Good Housekeeping.

Laughing Place magazine is great! It's more of an artistic magazine than strictly an info source. It has great quality paper and beautiful pictures of the parks around the world. The thing I like best (but the magazine has sometimes been criticised for) is that the pictures are too artistic - ie extreme close-ups on fine details and different light levels instead of literal simple shots. These are my favourite types of disney pics to take so this is right up my alley but I'll admit it can be frustrating on articles like HK Disneyland when you want to see it all as well. The writing is great and they have access to some interesting Disney people so I'd definitely recommend subscribing. It sort of feels like a Disney coffee table book each quarter.
And what on earth is a 'Frontierland Pack Mule' when its at home? Not another 'secret mens business' thread I hope! [-X
:-) Issue 43 of e-ticket mag is all about one of the extinct attractions at Disneyland - the Frontier Pack Mules! It's a bit sad people today only seem to want roller coasters & thrill rides because some of the classics, like the pack mules sound incredible - a real trip back in time.

The e-ticket is another mag worth subscribing to. For years, I ignored it because the cover artwork looked so amateurish but was I ever wrong! Each issue tends to focus on 1 extinct attraction with interviews with the creators and staff from that era. The info and images are unbeatable - so much so it's the only unofficial magazine to be sold INSIDE the disney parks. Now I'm on a mad dash to collect all the back issues.

That's it for my magazine sales pitches :-) I should get a commission!

Tigger71
B Ticket
B Ticket

Postby Tigger71 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi all,

I currently subscribe to "Celebrations" magazine about WDW and I just love it. It has regular writers who are each experts in their field of topics. The photos, maps, trivia and articles are all first rate and I look forward to receiving my copy every 8 weeks.

I also get "Tales from the Laughing Place". I started getting this because it was so frustrating that all the Disney magazines/theme park subscriptions were only available to other countries (US/Canada only!!!). Now I happily pour through my issues several times before I allow my kids to even look at the pictures!
TFTLP is a more artistic magazine with classy photos and a smaller number of topics covered in great detail. There seems to be alot of stories on TDL and HKDL which is now very convenient for me as we are travelling to both in Sept/Oct school holidays. Must go back and re-read some articles to be up to speed on what to expect.
Past Disney vacations...

DLR - 1995, 1998, 2002, 2015, 2016
DLP - 1998, 2013
WDW - 2005, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2017
TDR - 2010, June 2012
HKD - 2010, Oct 2012, 2015
DCL - 2013,2015
Aulani - 2015
SDR - 2017

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:38 am

TFTLP is a great magazine - very professional. Wayne from our club used to get copies that I'd read at the club meetings.

A number of us now subscribe to the D23 magazine and club - that is a great publication too with excellent articles. Most of the authors for D23 used to work on the old Sketches magazine that Walt Disney Classic Collection members used to receive before that club finished early this year.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Books and Comics”