Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

The Disney Mountains: Imagineering At Its Peak

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

The Disney Mountains: Imagineering At Its Peak

Postby KeithS » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:42 pm

Author Jason Surrell (a very special friend of DU Disneyana) has just had his latest book "The Disney Mountains: Imagineering At Its Peak" published by Disney Editions.

Jason is an Imagineer and show producer at WDW in Florida, he also hosted the MSN broadcast of the Pirates of the Caribbean 2 premier in 2006. His other books include his fabulous histories of the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean.

His latest book (which I acquired through Amazon) is about the history of some of Disney's classic e-ticket attractions - the Mountains.

Starting with how the Matterhorn was conceived and built in 1959, right through to Expedition Everest in 2005 (and all the mountains in between) this book is a great addition to any collection. It even features details of the mountains that never made it off the drawing board.

Written in Jason's easy to read style, it makes you want to turn just one more page before turning out the lights!

Fully illustrated with concept art, construction photos, details of how the rides have changed through upgrades, and current photos, you won't be disappointed.

And if you are a fan of Jason Surrell and his books, be sure to come along to our Haunted Mansion meeting on October 27 - where we may have some surprises awaiting you ;)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:18 pm

I finished reading my copy that we won in the raffle at the October meeting (Thanks!!!) and I was impressed. The history and detail that Jason covers is fascinating, and to even highlight the differences, where applicable in the ride at every park is also interesting.

It's incredible to read about some of the decisions made, and the ideas, which when broken down, are very simplistic but highly effective. But the engineering feats around some of the constructions was simply awesome.

I was amused to read that Space Mountain was designed for Disneyland originally and put into Disney world first, and that BTM was designed for Disneyworld and put into Disneyland first. For those who love the landscaping for BTM in DL, get to Bryce Canyon. We went there last visit and to see that landscape "in the flesh" really puts it into perspective, and is awe inspiring. We thought that this inspired BTM when we were there, and it was confirmed in the book.

I'll be reading it again, to make sure I can remember it, because all the information covered will always be handy one day for sure!! :wink:
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Books and Comics”