Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Rides becoming Movies

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Rides becoming Movies

Postby ajp » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:57 pm

It's generally accepted that Disneyland evolved from the movies, with alot of the earlier attractions being based on the various animated movies or associated with the making of other movies (for example Matterhorn).

But what of the attractions that have spawned movies. I'd like peoples thoughts of the succes or otherwise of the various attempts. I think the POTC example is probably the most notable success story, but there are others.

Haunted Mansion and the Country Bears are 2 that come to mind (if there are others please list them). I for one really enjoyed the Country Bears and listen to the soundtrack over and over. It was a very clever movie and whilst it used the attraction characters it didn't try and recreate the show at all which made it viewable by non Disney park visitors.

Haunted Mansion was also enjoyable but obviously not the big blockbuster of Pirates. I don't know why, because they tried to use big names (Eddie Murphy) and some action as well. They tried to stick very close to the ride with this one which may have been a little off putting for some who didn't understand. But still a fine effort.

So what do you think, are there any more than are worth putting on the silver screen? Big Thunder Mountain or It's a Small World perhaps. :shock:
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Rides becoming Movies

Postby mushu mama » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:59 pm

I for one really enjoyed the Country Bears and listen to the soundtrack over and over.
I LOVE THIS MOVIE.
I loved it from the first guitar riff to the very last credit song. What a cool movie. I've only seen the Country Bears Theatre in Japanese but it was still fun. That movie is one of my favourite Disney 'watch and re-watch' ones. The music is kick ass and its a cute story to go along with it. I absolutely love bluegrass and that kind of country with attitude music 'really gits mah toes a-tappin'..... :D. Anything with a Honkytonk piano or a banjo and I'm hooked. Must be a little latent hillbilly in there somewhere... :wink: oh... without the crosspollination.... :)

Haunted Mansion was also enjoyable but obviously not the big blockbuster of Pirates. I don't know why, because they tried to use big names (Eddie Murphy)
Now I'm a huge Eddie fan ( he is the essence of Mushu after all) but this movie doesn't set the world on fire for me. I like it, but rarely choose it over others to watch.
Big Thunder Mountain or It's a Small World perhaps. :shock:
Either of those would lend themselves to a great movie. I really like both rides and can see lots of areas that could be developed into a movie. Heres another one.... the Jungle Cruise. I know that it is very 'African Queen' and all that , but it could definitely be developed into something akin to an epic journey/adventure movie. How about the Amazon instead of Africa?
And there has been whole movies about shops before.... how about the Mad Hatters? Lots of fun stuff goes on in that shop I wager.

I was under the impression that the decision to make those 3 rides into movies was taken at the same meeting once upon a time., rather than 3 separate decisions about spin offs. I could be wrong though.

Hows this....
The Seven dwarves find 'Its a Small World" in an parallel universe and after initial elation at the world being 'just the right size', suffer emotional stuggles, ( Grumpy gets grumpier and requires a good lawyer, Bashful becomes a hermit on a deserted island with internet access who cuts his nose hairs and his dinner with the same pocket knife, Doc is run off his feet with his new practice fixing doll-dizzyness and RSI from years of spinning and twirling without a break, Sneezy discovers antihisamine, Dopey becomes a Rhodes Scholar - majoring in communications, Sleepy goes on the dole and buys a hammock, and we discover that Happy is really just suffering a chemical imbalance)they decide they prefer being the minority rather than the majority and return to Fairy Land to sell their gems from the mines on the black market and make a killing, living Happily Ever After. ..... Thus proving that the grass is quite often greenest where you were to begin with.

hehehe..... ( My apologies to Walt, I couldn't resist :twisted:)

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:16 pm

Anything with a Honkytonk piano or a banjo and I'm hooked.
And don't forget the "One Strang Thang". That things make the most awesome sound. Sounds just like a Strat! I actually use music from this Soundtrack in some of my work including Sandie's.

You sure do have a wicked imagination Lisa! I reckon that 7 Dwarf tale can go somewhere. But I reckon Quentin Tarantino will be doing it before Ron Howard or even Pixar!
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:44 am

[quote="mushu mama]Heres another one.... the Jungle Cruise. I know that it is very 'African Queen' and all that , but it could definitely be developed into something akin to an epic journey/adventure movie.[/quote]
Jungle Cruise is already on its way :) There was some concept art doing the rounds for a while - it is expected to be the next-big franchise release after The Prince of Persia series currently being worked on.

I see that Disney is also ramping up its video game department, so not only will we see games designed from movies, we may also see movies coming from the games. The games section has just acquired a guy called Warren Spector, who is known in the PC gaming industry as a bit of a legend with his original story based games (I was a big fan of his Deus Ex and Thief series). Expect big things from them in the coming years.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:51 pm

Jungle Cruise is already on its way :)

Cool. :D

Does it have an African flavour? could you tell that from the artwork?

I wonder how many rides they will turn into movies? Lets hope they don't go overboard and just do them all. That would lessen the appeal I think. Its a novelty that could quickly become ho-hum if they turn every possible ride into cinematic offerings.
You sure do have a wicked imagination Lisa!
sometimes its a good thing, sometimes its not.
I reckon that 7 Dwarf tale can go somewhere. But I reckon Quentin Tarantino will be doing it before Ron Howard or even Pixar!
Yeah... it might be a bit edgy for Pixar... Quentin could probably do it justice. I better get my people to talk to his people huh? :wink:

Hm.... 'Lisa the Hollywood script writer'... has a certain ring to it don't you think? Fame and fortune here I come..... :lol:

~Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Movies”