Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Rapunzel

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Rapunzel

Postby mushu mama » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:26 pm

Hmmm... where to start..... um... the soundtrack I think.

So many things about this movie were outstanding, and I'll get to them in turn, the most immediate impact on both myself and Millie was the music. "I see the light' was so touching, we both bawled when we saw it on screen and also when we downloaded it that afternoon. But all of it was so good, the lyrics were so engaging and the mix of music styles was well done. In actual fact, we both commented that 'I see the light' was so startlingly similar to a song from ' The Magic Sword: The Quest for Camelot" called 'The Prayer'. In that movie, its sung by Celine Dion, but " I see the light' is more like the haunting Josh Groban version.
Anyhoo... The Tangled soundtrack is well worth getting if you haven't already ( I'm sure Keith must have it by now :wink: )

When the trailer came out, I was so worried this was going to be another misguided attempt to follow rather than lead the field, but I needn't have worried - and I can't believe I'm saying this, but one thing that was so engaging for me anyway, was how each 'lovey-dovey' scene was saved from being saccharine sweet Disney Princess-ey by an almost indiscernible modern edge to the language or nuances without losing its Disney magic. Very Very well done.

Fav scene was without a doubt the lantern flight with its misted backgrounds and lanterns that just filled the entire screen with a mystic glow, but a very very very close second was when Flynn sacrificed himself for his love.... and she brought him back to life with a tear... and the kiss was very 'now' and better than the one in Beauty and the Beast... which from me, is high praise.

Almost impossible to say fav character... they're all so strong... but front runners are the sidekicks, the totally adorable Pascal and the totally obsessively focused Maximillion.

The animation was just the best I think I've seen, that soft desaturated colour palette with all that beatiful Rococco thing going on was literally breathtaking. The light in the shots was exceptional and the water when the dam broke and the texture, glossy glow and 'feel' of Rapunzels hair were just world class.

This is truly something Walt would have been spectacularly proud of, cutting edge with 'old school' feel.

Magic indeed. -/ -/

Phew... sure I've probably forgotten vital points, but anyhoo.... what did everyone else think?

and PS: when does it come out on DVD? I need to buy it :wink:
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:48 pm

'I see the light' was so touching
I love this song and the scene it goes with - it sums up so many points of the movie - not just the romantic angle, but the anguish of Rapunzel's parents at her kidnapping and their hope that she is still out there - somewhere.

I agree that it is similar in style to The Prayer (and you impress me Lisa - most people think The Prayer is from Australian Idol - very few know that it is from a little known Warner Bros animated movie from the 1990's when they thought they could compete with Disney!)

And yes - I own the soundtrack :D
I was so worried this was going to be another misguided attempt to follow rather than lead the field
My thoughts exactly - I was so disappointed by the trailer and thought they ruined what was looking to be a good film. In the end, they made a great film!
an almost indiscernible modern edge to the language
I didn't think this would have been possible - but they pulled it off. I wonder how it will stand the test of time though? I guess that is the basis by which a great Disney film is judged, its timelessness. Will we be watching and enjoying Tangled in 2031 - or will it look dated?

The lantern scene is probably my favourite too - but I liked the slapstick of Rapunzel hitting Flynn with the frying pan and trying to hide him in the cupboard. I also loved the montage of Rapunzel's introduction to freedom and the mood swings she goes through - and Flynn just watching on until she got it out of her system - hilarious!

Maximus is a great character - his dogged determination to hunt Flynn is hilarious, but I love how he then falls for Rapunzel when she sweet talks him!
glossy glow and 'feel' of Rapunzels hair were just world class.
We were also impressed by Rapunzel's dress - the way it moved was so natural looking - amazing animation.
and PS: when does it come out on DVD? I need to buy it :wink:
Hahaha - I wish I knew. It is the first Disney animated movie in MANY years in which I came out of the cinema and immediately thought "I'd love to see that again on the big screen" - to give you an indication of how rare that is, The Lion King is the last Disney animated film where I did that!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:29 pm

(and you impress me Lisa - most people think The Prayer is from Australian Idol - very few know that it is from a little known Warner Bros animated movie from the 1990's when they thought they could compete with Disney!)
Ahhh... now see, I know my music.... and it helps that my daughter knew that particular movie word for word at one point so I heard that song A LOT !! thats how she also recognised the similar lilt to the song.

I wonder how it will stand the test of time though? I guess that is the basis by which a great Disney film is judged, its timelessness. Will we be watching and enjoying Tangled in 2031 - or will it look dated?
my thoughts are, it will... because when you watch Snow White for instance, yes, it does depict the 'helplessness' of women of the time, but thats ok, it actually fits into the timeline of Princess movies and it doesn't matter that the characters overall feel is on of a bygone era... the core values are the same today, which is why we all still can watch and enjoy it.
but I liked the slapstick of Rapunzel hitting Flynn with the frying pan and trying to hide him in the cupboard. I also loved the montage of Rapunzel's introduction to freedom and the mood swings she goes through - and Flynn just watching on until she got it out of her system - hilarious!
yep, all of those had us in stitches... The whole frying pan thing was so hilarous and well placed for todays thinking on weapons... just goes to show you don't need pointy sharp things to defend yourself. And it wouldn't hurt if more men became so enamoured of the humble frypan :lol:
Maximus is a great character
dang... got his name wrong... oh well, I've only seen it once so far :wink:

Yep, Millie and I are already plotting another visit to see it on the big screen... not something I do often either. But the Lantern scene alone makes me want to go back and see it again. :)
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:08 pm

Ditto what they said. I know you are dying to know where I cried, well the lanterns of course and the death scene. Her back actually moved in and out when she was crying.

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:23 pm

Can you believe I have a six week old, and still managed to see this movie on the weekend?!?!? FINALLY!

Loved, loved, loved it. I'd heard so much hype (but avoided all spoilers including this thread) and was not disappointed. Craig really enjoyed it too, but said it was ruined a little bit by some people telling him key points of the movie.

The animation blew me away. The way her hair and dress moved really caught my attention, I even leant across to Craig at one point early on and said that it LOOKED brilliant if nothing else. Very, very happy with this movie and am eagerly awaiting the DVD release to see if the boys will enjoy it as much as I did :)
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Can you believe I have a six week old, and still managed to see this movie on the weekend?!?!? FINALLY!
Very impressive! I went back to tap dancing rehearsals for 42nd Street when Angus was 3 weeks, naturally he came with me!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Very impressive! I went back to tap dancing rehearsals for 42nd Street when Angus was 3 weeks, naturally he came with me!
I don't know how you did that - I tried out the kids' trampoline when Josh was three weeks old and it felt like my insides were going to fall out :lol: Back to netball next week though :)

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:57 pm

I hear the sound of crickets from the male members of the forum as they make a quick escape to the V8 thread :lol:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:32 am

I hear the sound of crickets from the male members of the forum as they make a quick escape to the V8 thread :lol:
zzzzz....zzzzzz....zzzzz....zzzzzz....zzzzzz....zzzzzz

:D
Keith

Trip history:

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I was sleep-deprived when I wrote that and afterwards thought 'Oops, I think I may have said a bit too much..." :lol:

Sorry guys!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:05 pm

Don't apologise Mel, I've been at Netball for 3 weeks already.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 pm

Don't apologise Mel, I've been at Netball for 3 weeks already.
Awesome Anthony - have you scored many goals? :D
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:22 am

Awesome Anthony - have you scored many goals? :D
Managing 18 hormonal 14 year olds Keith, only goal I'll achieve is insanity before the end of the year.

However I did like Mel's trampoline comment. :lol:

Back to the movie, I am waiting for this to come out on video. I will get the DVD/BR combo, even though we haven't got a Bluray (yet), this is definitely one that will only be at it's best on Bluray format.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:40 pm

I forgot to mention that while I was in Hong Kong, my Bluray 4-disc edition of Tangled arrived in the mail from Amazon! Including the shipping, it cost just $29 (thank you strong Australian dollar!).

The four disc version includes the 3D Bluray, normal 2D Bluray, a DVD version, and the digital copy version.

The bluray disc is region coded for A,B and C - so there is no problem playing it on Australian B-region machines (the DVD is region 1).

Now I just need to find the time to watch it!
Keith

Trip history:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Did this include postage?

The cheap price must have been due to the connections you made when you were chatting up rapunzel in fantasyland.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Movies”