Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Meet The Robinsons 3D

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Meet The Robinsons 3D

Postby ajp » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:42 pm

As we will be unable to make the club trip to see the movie next Saturday due to various childrens sporting commitments, we took the opportunity to see an advanced screening put on by GU at Campbelltown today.

I don't want to give anything away for you all, but I will say that there is great music, a very good story and twists and turns throughout. An enjoyable movie all round.

I did happen to see another club member buying coffee in Starbucks afterwards, but given my "excellent memory for names" (NOT), I'm sorry I don't remember who it was. But I do assume he too was at the screening.

Anyway, for those going next Saturday, enjoy the movie and the company and we'll discuss it on your return.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:03 am

How was the movie guys?

(I haven't seen it so..... no spoilers ok?)

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:37 am

I took my daughter who is almost 11 last night - sorry guys but late Saturday morning makes it hard for those of us with kids who play sport to come to meets.

I went hoping for a great movie and didn't think it was any better than Monster House. It was ok, I guessed all the twists in the first 20 minutes and my daughter got all the twists except the last one.

The end however with the words that appearred on the screen made up for the last 80 minutes. So, did the short before the movie started!!!

Maybe if I had some of Mushu's jelly shots before hand I would have enjoyed it more.

Why can't they make a movie that engages the audience like Little Mermaid, B&tB or Lion King?

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:59 am

Why can't they make a movie that engages the audience like Little Mermaid, B&tB or Lion King?
Yep - those are my sentiments!

It looked great - the Digital 3D still amazes me. But I also guessed most of the twists, and there were moments in the film that I was thinking "What the heck is all this about?"

It may be better on its second showing, but we shouldn't have to see it a second time to work out whether it is good or not. I like walking out of a cinema saying "Wow, that was awesome" and then spend and hour talking about it - this film didn't make me do that. It was a capable film, but we'd seen most of the funny bits in the trailer, and the rest of the story just didn't quite gel.

Oh well, at least there is Pirates next month :D
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:46 am

I have to say that the reaction that Sandie and Keith have shown was mine and the families first reaction as well, particularly throughout the course of the movie, I had that, where is this going thinking. How the story ended, for me, seemed to tie it all together. Over time though and talking about it, it wasn't as abd as first thought, hence my comments in the start of thread. Did enjoy the music though (hows the CD Keith?)

I tend to over analyse things, and feel that the quote used at the end of the movie, whilst being very inspiring and working with the storyline well, was more of a mission statement and message to the masses of what to expect from Disney animation. Won't go too deep, as its probably worth another thread to discuss the whole animation thing, but I'm positive.

Back to the movie, one thing you can tell is the patchy development it got through it's life. We all know the dramas it had with the changing of the guards and the different approach by the new Pixar management in having the movie pretty well re-done. And it did show in the flow of the movie, which I felt was disjointed. However it did recover I feel and ended in that typical feel good way that Disney movies do. To use the commonly used rating system for movies, I'll give it 3 stars.

I just keep loving the new intro for the movies with the new castle and tink though!
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:47 pm

It was ok, I guessed all the twists in the first 20 minutes
Oh... thats just annoying.... :?

I kind of wondered if it hadn't set the world on fire when no one had been on here talking about it...
Maybe if I had some of Mushu's jelly shots before hand I would have enjoyed it more.
Well, yes they do add something to an occasion :twisted:

Lets hope that "Frog Princess" is one of those... seems to have that epic feel already. Heres hoping. This one might even get me on the Princess bandwagon.... maybe :wink:

Yep... bring on Pirates.... I can't wait to be drooling.....oops... watching Captn Jack again....... the more sequels the better.....:D
Keep 'em coming Disney....

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

Wendy
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Wendy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:49 pm

I just took my son (who is almost 8) to see Meet the Robinsons and I have to say that this is not going down as one of our favourite Disney movies.

Yes we were both disappointed.

While watching the movie I was thinking to myself "and this movie goes for how long".

We are however looking forward to the release of Bridge to Terabithia and Shrek 3.
Wendy

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:48 pm

I don't know how old your son is but be aware Bridge to Terabithia is not the fantasy based fairy story it appears to be on the previews. It is actually a very sad and confronting story.

I have told my 11 year old she can only see it if she reads the book first.

Sandie

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:34 pm

It is actually a very sad and confronting story.
The trailer makes it come across as a good old fantasy adventure story.

I must admit, I had never even heard of the book until the movie trailer came out. Sandie, you are the first person I've met that has actually read it.

I wasn't actually planning on see this at the movies - I'm sort of tired of this style of film right now - all these New Zealand filmed fantasy adventures are beginning to look the same...
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:16 pm

I am kind of glad that I haven't got around to seeing "Meet the Robinsons" yet after all the less than glowing reports I'm hearing.

I'm thinking I'll wait till its on DVD and hire it first.

I loved the look of the "Bridge to Teribithia" and I am looking forward to seeing it. I hadn't ever heard of the book either and was surprised by your description Sandie, considering it has been marketed as a kid friendly fantasy. After reading that, I might go see it first before taking my 12 yr old, and decide from there if she can see it yet. Or maybe I'll just get her the book, thats a good idea... then I don't have to try and wrestle the HP books off her in the next 100 odd days. :roll:

Bring on Shrek3.... love that cat.
Shrek never never gets old. :D

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:19 pm

I do not want to give the story away but it involves a tragic death which I think will be too upseting for any child under 12, I know each time I have read the book I have sobbed my heart out and you all know I am a cold hearted witch!

I know a lot of US message boards dealing with both Disney and child development have been harsh of the way the movie is depicted in the previews.

That being said if you like to read this is as great a book as Diary of Anne Frank and is used in a lot of US schools as a compulsory novel for the equivelent of year 8 here.

Ok nerd hat off and back to my normal life!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:35 pm

thanks for the heads up Sandie.

I would never have thought this story was that involved had you not mentioned it.
I think I will get the book, but reading it will have to wait till after the HP marathon is over.
Other than the HP books, I am also trying to wade through two other books - a text book for my course and another novel. Add to that two absolutely gorgeous 'technique books' on loan from my Scrapping boss and I think my bedside table is full. The scrap books are screaming at me to read them, particularly the one with Mickey on the front. :D

~ Lisa ~

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:20 pm

The scrap books are screaming at me to read them, particularly the one with Mickey on the front.
Is it the Sandylion one?

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:56 pm

Is it the Sandylion one?
Yep.... 'The Essential Disney Scrapping Guide" or something like that. And the Making Memories Ribbonrie.

I read them while I had to wait for over an hour sitting in the carpark waiting for my son to finish his job interview. I read them both. The Sandylion one is really a how-to for their products, but having said that, it had some really great ideas - especially as I have a large collection of their stuff and wasn't sure how I wanted to use it. Now I have some ideas try out. :D
And 'Ribbonrie' is just the most beautiful book. I am a bit of a ribbon addict, and the ideas in this book are superb.

~ Lisa ~

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:54 pm

I finally got around to watching this today... so here's what I thought of it...

I guessed all the twists in the first 20 minutes
yep me too... :?
The end however with the words that appeared on the screen made up for the last 80 minutes.
yep. I loved that tie in.

And OK... confession time... I cried at the end.
I'm a sucker for a happy ending. :D

I really enjoyed this movie... yep, a little predictable but the scenery was just amazing. Having the ability to go back and take another look at certain scenes allowed a different perspective maybe, but I really thought it was a very watchable movie. It didn't perhaps have that polished feel that Pixar offerings come with, but I still thought it was good.

I also watched Wild Hogs... what a hoot that was.... well worth watching if you haven't already.

~ Lisa ~

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Movies”