Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Valiant

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Valiant

Postby KeithS » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:20 pm

The first of two Disney CG bird movies has been released in the US this week. "Valiant" is about the carrier pigeon corp in the Second World War. It was originally released in the UK back in March.

Valiant it a bit of a strange movie - firstly, if you download the trailer from Disney.com, you'll notice it opens with the line "From the Producers of Shrek and Shrek 2" - this is sure to cause some confusion with the public and debate amongst the Disney hardliners! It is made by Vanguard Pictures, a new startup animation company headed by John H. Williams (who used to work at Dreamworks and was the producer of the Shrek films before returning to the UK).

Vanguard have a four picture deal with Disney (similar to how Pixar got its feature film career launched).

Valiant is receiving mediocre reviews from the US press. It is interesting to note that imdb.com has quoted UK run time for the movie as 109 minutes, but the US version is just 76 minutes - I wonder if the six month release gap was to tighten it for US audiences? It is due for release in Australia on the 6th January 2005.

That release date for Australia is really strange too - as Chicken Little, Disney's other bird movie - and the one they are resting a lot of hopes on as their first CG movie inhouse - is to be released in Australia on January 1! This is only going to cause confusion amongst the general public - 2 Disney CG bird movies in 5 days!

KeithS

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:54 am

They cut a little over half an hour out of it! That's a big cut for an animated movie and a LOT of work that's been left in a rubbish bin somewhere. It would be nice to see the DVD release contain both versions for comparison.

Of course I would never think of using bittorrent even though we won't see it here until next year. :oops:

Greg

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:25 pm

I just watched it...the US release at 76 minutes.

I would like to know what they cut out of the UK version, probably everything that may have helped it. Not that's its a bad movie...just not as good as it could have been.

It lacked any really funny moments with the main "funny" character slightly annoying, although John Cleese's performance was nice and subtle, watch out for a couple of Python references.

The reason for the heavy cutting may have been the setting. England during WW2 is probably a period of history completely unknown to an American audience let alone one of the age they are pushing the movie towards. Most of the references and very clever set dressings would have gone completely over their heads. The extra half hour also may have been handy for creating a greater sense of danger and a set of characters I cared about.

I'm trying not to give anything away because it is worth seeing, just don't expect too much. If you have any questions though, fire away.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:23 am

I just watched this movie (I've had it for ages and never watched it ) but I thought it was really good. Its really a cross between 'allo 'allo and all the old war movies I've ever seen. Being that it is so long since this movie came out I guess I wont be spoiling it for anyone if I mention some of the best bits.
I saw the Monty Python references, plenty of James Bond ones too. John Cleese was ok. The Blonde buzz cut and blue eyes of the Falcon were a perfect touch and I loved the leader of the French resistance - The White Mouse. I thought that was very clever. And yes, the set dressing is littered with war history that made it all the more watchable.
But my favourite line?

"Ve haf vays of makink you Sqvauk!"

Loved that....

~Lisa ~ :D
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:56 pm

I didn't mind Valiant. I have always been a huge fan of the WWII movie genre - I grew up watching The Great Escape, The Longest Day, The Battle of Britain, The Battle of the Bulge, A Bridge Too Far etc...

I guess it didn't do so well at the cinema because there was a lot of bad press prior to its release - the critics gave it a hammering in the US.

I only saw it the once at the cinema - Della has the DVD, I guess I should give it a spin. But in the meantime, I'll be watching Cars this afternoon - Kachow!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:28 pm

I have always been a huge fan of the WWII movie genre - I grew up watching The Great Escape, The Longest Day, The Battle of Britain, The Battle of the Bulge, A Bridge Too Far etc...
Yep, the old B&W war movies were a staple at our place too. Having seen them made Valiant way more enjoyable. If you didn't know much about what went on in Britain and France at that time, it would make it a little 'blah' and you just wouldn't notice the details.
But in the meantime, I'll be watching Cars this afternoon - Kachow!
Lucky you... :D
I haven't bought a copy yet... I'm holding off till I find a two disk edition or has something 'extra' with it. I'm under pressure from my son to buy it pronto though.

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:29 pm

I haven't bought a copy yet... I'm holding off till I find a two disk edition or has something 'extra' with it.
I didn't buy it either - I've got a borrowed copy for the same reasons - I'm awaiting a two-disc version at sometime in the future. I like most things the Disney corporation does, but won't resort to purchasing two versions of the same DVD!
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:44 pm

but won't resort to purchasing two versions of the same DVD!
Yep, I draw the line there too.

If my kids had been the critics for Valiant, it would have gotten a lot of stars. They've watched it twice more since yesterday ( school holidays.. :roll:) and I keep hearing the strangled cry of "SABOTAGE" (the only line by the chubby French Resistance mouse) all over the house....

better hide the matches....

When does school start again? :shock:

~ Lisa ~

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:31 pm

better hide the matches....

When does school start again? :shock:
Hehe - that's funny :)

I like school holidays as it means my train to work is only half full and I can always get a window seat and sleep...
Keith

Trip history:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Movies”