Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

2019 Movies

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

2019 Movies

Postby DisneyKaren » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:45 pm

I can't believe the great line-up of movies this year.  I rarely go to the movies however I've already been twice this year and January's not even over!

Mary Poppins:
Some of you would have seen this last year, however I saw it just after it's formal release...… and loved it.  The story seemed to follow on so well from the original with a great mix of tie-ins along with changes to make it unique and bring some new characters who slotted in well.  The music was catchy and of course it was great seeing Dick Van Dyke make an appearance.  I think Disney did well bringing this instalment of the books to life.  I am hoping to find the books and read them all at some stage, even though I've heard they're not as much fun as the movies.  Maybe Disney will go through the whole series over time.

I did have a quiet chuckle seeing Meryl Streep and Emily Blunt together, so different from their Devil Wears Prada characters. As a side note, my friend and I bought the popcorn umbrella (bucket) and drink special, something I've never actually done as I'm not big on popcorn or soft drink however I did enjoy them (I barely ate 1/2 my popcorn though).  Actually we both bought 2 umbrellas as we were buying for others - my friend took all the remaining popcorn home in loads of lolly bags the staff kindly gave us.  Those umbrellas hold A LOT of popcorn!

Ralph Breaks the Internet:
Again Disney has done well with a follow-up movie, mixing the known characters with some new.  Such a great idea making the internet seem like it was all real people personally looking after every click we make.  I could feel their pain with the search guy pre-filling in their answers and then all the pop-ups; so funny though.  Bringing the old arcade games together with the internet was a great idea and of course it wouldn't be Disney without a little life lesson at the end.  Bringing in the Disney Princesses and other characters was fun and I think adds a lot of humour for the adults seeing Disney make fun of themselves.

We stayed until the very end of the credits for the surprise we'd been told about and while worth it, my little 5yr old goddaughter was tired and didn't understand why we were staying so got a little upset and kept saying "I'm tired and want to go home".  I felt just like her the following day when I returned to work after 3 weeks of office closure!
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: 2019 Movies

Postby calisota » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 pm

I missed seeing Mary Poppins unfortunately. I didn't know that there was a series of books. 

I liked Ralph breaks the internet, lots of in jokes. I fear that it will date much much faster than most of the Disney/Pixar movies will. Basing so much of it on current internet habits may look real old in just a few years.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:52 am

I missed seeing Mary Poppins unfortunately. I didn't know that there was a series of books. 
I liked Ralph breaks the internet, lots of in jokes. I fear that it will date much much faster than most of the Disney/Pixar movies will. Basing so much of it on current internet habits may look real old in just a few years.
Greg
I'd heard that Mary Poppins was a few books but to be honest had forgotten, a friend of mine who is a lifelong Disney fan reminded me.  Apparently the books are quite expensive nowadays and I'm sure the new movie will up the price again.
Oh I hadn't considered how fast Ralph would date, that's very true, will be interesting to see.
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:08 pm

Apparently the books are quite expensive nowadays and I'm sure the new movie will up the price again.
I guess the books are still owned by the authors family and Disney only owns the movie rights?

Greg

Lauren05
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Lauren05 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:59 pm

I bought the books about 5-6 years ago from Big W - I think the collection was around $20-$25
Trip History:
DLR: 1997, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2018 (April & October), 2019
WDW: 2007, 2014
DLRP: 2003, 2016
HKDL: 2011
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2012
DCL: 2012 (Wonder), 2014 (Panama Canal - Wonder), 2018 (Magic), 2019 (Wonder)

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:22 pm

Haven’t seen Ralph but did manage to see Mary Poppins this afternoon. Everything you said I agree with. I enjoyed the small nod to the bird lady sitting on the steps in the early scenes and the use of Dick Van Dyke was special. I absolutely do not like Meryl Streep and whilst she actually did a good job with her role, nothing changes for me there. 

I’m looking forward to the next few releases to be honest. Dumbo, Lion King and Aladdin. And of course Ep 9!
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:09 pm

Lots of big Disney movies coming this year - they're going to make a motza!

I haven't seen a film in the cinema for years - we just wait for the Bluray these days and watch it in comfort at home - I must be getting old...
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:21 pm

I haven't seen a film in the cinema for years - we just wait for the Bluray these days and watch it in comfort at home - I must be getting old...
I will watch "smaller" movies at home but there is still something about seeing a big movie like Star Wars on a big screen and with a lot of people. Something about making the effort that makes it a bit more memorable. The only problem, and this may be an age thing, is that I have trouble getting all of the dialogue in a theatre and usually pick up a few things I missed when i watch it again at home.

Greg

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Movies”