Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Beauty and the Beast (2017) (spoilers)

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Beauty and the Beast (2017) (spoilers)

Postby calisota » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:31 pm

Just got back from seeing it.

First impression...I liked it...didn't love it unconditionally...I liked it.

I should probably say that I am a huge, huge fan of the animated version so that is probably clouding my opinion somewhat. I'm always going to do a comparison rather than judging this one on its own merits. But, on to my thoughts.

It looked amazing. The Beast was extremely well done, the other enchanted characters looked enough like their original animated versions but had enough life and character to fit into a real world. I didn’t feel that Gaston had quite the presence that he should have, he needed to be at least a head taller than anyone else. I do wonder ifMadame de Garderobe might be a bit scary for younger kids.

Maybe I’m getting old, maybe it was the theatre where I was seeing it, but I found the lyrics a bit hard to follow at times. I know all the words to all the songs (yeah, I’m a fan) and I was having trouble singing along to myself.

I had been avoiding reading too much prior to seeing it but I was genuinely surprised to see that Belle’s father was played by Kevin Kline. He did a great job.

There were still some problems with timing, the same as the original. Time seems to pass a lot faster or slower depending on where you are. How long did Maurice spend tied up under that tree?

The “controversial” moment with LeFou at the end would only come as a surprise to someone who had been asleep for the rest of the movie.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Re: Beauty and the Beast (2017) (spoilers)

Postby DisneyKaren » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:19 am

It doesn't open here until next week so I've made plans with my sister and niece for next Saturday night.  The stage version is my favourite so far as I love all the extra music they have.  I'll miss the enchanted characters looking like cute animations but I know they have to update and made them fit in with real life actors.  Looking forward to it.
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:30 pm

It doesn't open here until next week so I've made plans with my sister and niece for next Saturday night.  The stage version is my favourite so far as I love all the extra music they have.  I'll miss the enchanted characters looking like cute animations but I know they have to update and made them fit in with real life actors.  Looking forward to it.
Whoops, didn't know it hadn't opened. Disney seems to have been so good about opening dates lately, is there school holidays starting next week or something?
The updated Cogsworth is a wonder, really liked they way they made him look and move.
I got to see the stage version in Melbourne a very long time ago, Hugh Jackman as Gaston!
Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:56 am

I LOVED it!  Went last night with my sister, niece and 3 of her teenage friends and everyone had a great time.  I hadn't realised my older sister hasn't even seen the animated version - my niece must have inherited her love of Disney from her 2 amazing aunts.  As I own the stage version soundtrack, there's a couple of times I expect character to burst into song and they don't however that certainly didn't impact my impression as the music was still great and there were a couple of new songs which I enjoyed.  Having some back stories at the start with additions to these throughout, along with a closing sequence which closed off from the opening, was a fantastic touch.  The modernised enchanted characters (which concerned me prior to viewing) were fantastic and suited the real-life setting - also a nice touch how their characters linked into the villagers.  I like the slight change to the ending which was really well done.  Just enough minor changes to make it new, without taking away from the story I've always enjoyed.

Out of the 4 teenagers with me, 3 of them have been to Disney parks.  As many of my friends haven't done as much travel it was great to chat travel and Disney even with a bunch of teenagers!  They loved my Mickey glasses and other items in my house, however thankfully they had small purses so no need for a bag check on their way out :)
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:25 pm

I loved it too :)  B&tB is my favourite animated Disney movie and Belle is by far my favourite princess.  I love Emma Watson too so that helped.  BUT she really can't sing.  I means sure, she can hold a tune, but she has absolutely no vibrato in her voice whatsoever.  It was very noticable to me in the opening song, but then I totally got sucked in and didn't notice it after that except when it was really flat.  Even in spite of that though, I walked out with a massive smile on my face that they hadn't buggered up the best Disney movie (IMO) of all time :)

I'd kept away from ANY news about it, so I didn't know most of the cast and was surprised to hear Emma Thompson, Ewan McGregor and Ian McKellan, amongst others.  I thought Gaston was great, although as Greg said, he could have been a bit more physically intimidating.  His facial expressions and love of and for himself was done very well though.  And Josh Gad was brilliant as an in-love-with-Gaston Lefou.  Loved the little end bit with Lefou :)  I liked the way they tied in the relationship of the castle-dwellers to the villagers, that was always a big plot hole for me as they never explained in the animation that the villagers were enchanted to forget the castle and it's inhabitants, so I liked that tie-up.

I missed Belle saying "It's you!" at the end too, I think they should have had that in there.

Anyway, I'm hoping to see it again soon with at least one of my boys.  I wanted to really enjoy it so ditched the kids for my first viewing :wink:  Now I need to convince the older two that it's not that girly and hope Josh doesn't freak out over the wolves.
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:07 pm

I missed Belle saying "It's you!" at the end too, I think they should have had that in there.
Your right! I hadn't picked up on that. 
I agree that Emma Watson lacked a bit in the singing, I don't think she'd make it on stage.
Greg

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:04 pm

We also love it - nothing really to add to everyone else's comments, but to say I think it is possibly the best live action conversion so far.

I have bee informed by my Disney/Emma Watson/Harry Potter fanatical daughter that Emma Watson was tricked into unknowingly record live the opening sequence song.  They got her to sing, didn't tell her it was to be actually used in the movie and recorded it.  I too thought she was a little flat, but this put a little context in and probably didn't come up too bad.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:13 pm

We also love it - nothing really to add to everyone else's comments, but to say I think it is possibly the best live action conversion so far.
Now that's an interesting question...personally I think that The Jungle Book is the best so far. 

Greg 

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Now that's an interesting question...personally I think that The Jungle Book is the best so far. 

Greg 
Interesting.  I did enjoy the Jungle Book, but for me, because it was essentially still a talking animal movie, it still - for me anyway - had an element of an animation feel about it.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:57 pm

I guess I'm looking at it in terms of which one(s) would make it as standalone movies without having a built-in recognition from the previous incarnation. 

I don't know if BatB would be as successful if it didn't have that recognition. The story may hold up but would certainly be picked apart for all the holes and the "Stockholm Syndrome" that are harder to forgive in live action than animated. I also don't think that the singing, particularly from Emma Watson, would hold up if this was an original attempt. 

Jungle Book would hold up as an original because I felt like you didn't need to know the original movie at all to enjoy it. Great characters, story etc that didn't need that recognition boost.

Greg

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:27 pm

I get where you're coming from Greg ....

.... I think you may be overanalysing though :lol:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:06 pm

I get where you're coming from Greg ....

.... I think you may be overanalysing though :lol:
You should see me standing in the aisle of the supermarket trying to decide. :-)

Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:04 am

I guess I'm looking at it in terms of which one(s) would make it as standalone movies without having a built-in recognition from the previous incarnation. 
I don't know if BatB would be as successful if it didn't have that recognition. The story may hold up but would certainly be picked apart for all the holes and the "Stockholm Syndrome" that are harder to forgive in live action than animated. I also don't think that the singing, particularly from Emma Watson, would hold up if this was an original attempt.
Greg
My older sister has never seen the original and she really loved the movie.  Of course she knew of the storyline so there were no real surprises.  I think the Stockholm Syndrome affects me less because the Beast's kind side is shown so quickly, plus the movie appears to span only a few days.  Oh and we both agree that Emma's voice is fine for this movie.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:11 pm

Now that's interesting. I assumed that it took place over quite a time period. 

Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:19 am

Oh, maybe I'm wrong.  I was guessing based on the quick turnarounds Philippe had to do getting Maurice and Belle to and from the castle.  Also when Maurice shows up at the bar, Gaston mentions he's been looking for 5 days (? I think).  As I type this I'm seeing that I pay way to much attention to the little things!!!!  Overthinker 101.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Movies”