Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Moana

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Moana

Postby mushu mama » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:49 am

Disney has just released details of this movie to screen late 2016, and it does sound interesting. The little info shared indicates that it is set in the South Pacific, but so far, everything seems to be Hawaii-centric ( names, meanings etc). I'm hoping that the epic voyage which is the movie plot basis, actually takes her to the South Pacific region - otherwise I'm going to think they've lost their atlas's somewhere in Disney Animation.

Anyhoo, I love the South Pacific mythology and am keen to see what they include ( if they include anything other than Hawaiian that is) and the music should be good given that it will be scored by Mark Mancina ( Brother Bear/Tarzan/Lion King). If the way the sea has been drawn in the one pic released is anything to go by, the animation should be breathtaking.

Thoughts?
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Moana

Postby KeithS » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks Lisa - you beat me to it! I was just coming here to start a Moana thread :)

I agree - they are talking about a South Pacific theme, however it is pretty clear from the press release below that Hawaiian-themes are prevalent. Still, the concept image they released looks fantastic (again, those island cliffs look like Hawaii!). Roll on 2016 :)

Here is the Disney press release:

WALT DISNEY ANIMATION STUDIOS SETS SAIL WITH “MOANA”
Ron Clements and John Musker (“Aladdin,” “The Princess and the Frog”) Helm the Epic Comedy-Adventure

BURBANK, Calif. (Oct. 20, 2014) Walt Disney Animation Studios revealed plans today for “Moana,” a sweeping, CG-animated comedy-adventure about a spirited teenager on an impossible mission to fulfill her ancestors’ quest. In theaters in late 2016, the film is directed by the renowned filmmaking team of Ron Clements and John Musker (“The Little Mermaid,” “The Princess and the Frog,” “Aladdin”).

“John and I have partnered on so many films—from ‘The Little Mermaid’ to ‘Aladdin’ to ‘The Princess and the Frog,’” said Clements. “Creating ‘Moana’ is one of the great thrills of our career. It’s a big adventure set in this beautiful world of Oceania.”

In the ancient South Pacific world of Oceania, Moana, a born navigator, sets sail in search of a fabled island. During her incredible journey, she teams up with her hero, the legendary demi-god Maui, to traverse the open ocean on an action-packed voyage, encountering enormous sea creatures, breathtaking underworlds and ancient folklore.

“Moana is indomitable, passionate and a dreamer with a unique connection to the ocean itself,” Musker said. “She’s the kind of character we all root for, and we can’t wait to introduce her to audiences.”
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Movies”