Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Saving Mr Banks

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Saving Mr Banks

Postby KeithS » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:27 pm

Absolutely fantastic! I can't stop crying! My favourite movie!
So you liked it then? LOL
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:22 pm

Hmmm...

I REALLY wanted to like this movie - but I walked out feeling kind of flat - I think I just had too-high expectations for this and the movie never really got there.

I think my problem was the whole contrasting tone of the flashbacks vs. the 1960s section. Whereas the trailers and advertising portrayed a light-hearted and nostalgic Disney movie (which the 1960s section was), the flashbacks were dark and grim (and they consisted of 50% of the film). I don't mind dark and grim in movies - but the contrasts were very jarring, so I didn't know how I was meant to feel, and in the end, I guess I didn't feel anything at all.

There are great sequences in this film, like the all-too-short visit to Disneyland; Travers' arrival at the Beverly Hills Hotel; and her control of the story meetings. I also loved the end credits with the original photos and the audio tape segments playing over the top, that was great.

But overall I felt it fell a bit short of what I was hoping for - maybe it will be better when I see it again on video and my expectations aren't so high?
Keith

Trip history:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:40 pm

I just saw it again

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:13 pm

I just saw it again
I think that is probably what I need to do.
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:56 pm

We just saw it. I reread your review Keith to try and get an understanding of your thoughts. I think I may understand where you're coming from. What were your actual expectations though before you went in?

It was a movie that took us on an emotional roller coaster, that's for sure. There were light humerous sections and dark confronting sections. But what it did for me was put a human perspective and a personal perspective behind what is really a fantasy family based movie.

I loved it, I really enjoyed the historic aspect of the story and the understanding of her personality and how that translates into the story. I'm going to get this on bluray and watch it over.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:53 pm

What were your actual expectations though before you went in?
I think this is where my expectations got in the way of enjoying a good movie. I was sort of sucked into the Disney marketing, whereby the trailer played up the lighter/comedic (dare I say the "Disney") side of the film and I had not prepared myself to see a darker film.
I'm going to get this on bluray and watch it over.
You watch what happens - I bet I'll see this again on bluray in a couple of months and I'll be raving about it!

Don't get me wrong - I don't think this is a bad film, it is very good - I just didn't fall head over heels for it.
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:54 am

I can't recall a time when Disney has deliberately stripped back the surface of a movie, particularly one of their all time favorites, and showed us the raw emotion and real life tragedy that underpins the reason behind the story. (Finding Neverland wasn't Disney was it?). Perhaps that is what you're not sure about Keith? It is confronting to know that the story was so personal and dark, and I know that if I ever watch Mary Poppins again, which at the time of walking out of the cinema I wasn't sure I would, that my mindset will be completely different and I will process it from a completely different angle. Will Disney do this to other authors of their stories? Perhaps we'll start to see more movies showing us the real Walt, something I would go and see with much interest.

Something else about this movie that I liked but also think they sugar coated. Yes they touched on his illness which would have been reasonably advanced at the time, but they stayed away from his real health woes. But they also stayed away from his drinking problem, only showing him having a drink at the end of the the day once. I know this movie was more about Travers than Walt, but I think if they're going to go raw, they could have been rawer. And where was Roy? Mentioned but not shown, interesting.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

BrizMarc
C Ticket
C Ticket

Postby BrizMarc » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:19 am

Im gonna check this out this afternoon, I didnt have high hopes but what ive been hearing and reading is pointing to it being a great flick

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:18 am

Well, I've finally seen this movie... I've made several attempts that didn't happen.

I LOVED it. For so many reasons. I loved how well Tom Hanks portrayed someone I watched every opportunity as a child and thought I knew his mannerisms well... Tom did him justice.
I loved all the flashbacks - they were dark as has been mentioned, but I thought they went really well to show the depth of Travers reluctance to hand her memories over. I wondered if JK Rowling felt the same initially.
I loved the Disneyland footage - and totally agree with Keith that they were all too short, in fact, I think you see almost the entire sequence in the shorts.
I LOVED with a capital L recognising the sections of the movies and costumed folk that we were driving past while they were filming in Universal ...I've never been so excited to be 'sushed' and I've since gone back to my photos to see if I captured any of the stars - only extras I fear.

I loved the Disney detail - especially the bits of the last credits I managed to see ( see further down for explanation) The original story board photos etc.

And finally, I loved loved loved the humour connected to the differing personalities - I wasn't expecting that.

Things I didn't love :

How NOT like Australia any of the supposed Australian footage was - and I'm determined to find out if all those name places on the railway board exist, because I have never heard of almost all of them. With the money they have at their disposal, and the fact that we still have vintage working trains here that run regularly that they could have taken advantage of seems like a loss in the authenticity stakes.

The 'old dollies' sitting next to us with their walking sticks that insisted on talking in their 'outside voices' all the way through the movie and then rudely stuck their butts and sticks into our faces and toes when the end credits were running - meaning I'm going to have to go again simply to see that without some old ladies pampers a little too close to my nose. Sorry for the detail... I was not impressed - they literally were still making their way out the walk way when it actually finished and made many of us miss the historical stuff.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:34 am

I completely agree on the lack of Australian authenticity Lisa. This was certainly a disappointment. I did recognize some of the place names on the rail board, but others I wasn't sure about. This is one aspect they could have done better.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:25 am

How NOT like Australia any of the supposed Australian footage was
That train they used makes me cringe every time I think of it. It is nothing like the Australian steam engines of the day.
The 'old dollies' sitting next to us with their walking sticks that insisted on talking in their 'outside voices'
Annoying audiences is the major reason I'm not seeing as many films at the cinema these days.
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:37 pm

That train they used makes me cringe every time I think of it. It is nothing like the Australian steam engines of the day.
exactly Keith. It was the only negative of the movie. Given the global distribution of today, they almost owe it to the country they're trying to portray to make it as authentic as possible. The topography, the trees and plants and especially the train are nothing like what is here in QLD.
The 'old dollies' sitting next to us with their walking sticks that insisted on talking in their 'outside voices'
Annoying audiences is the major reason I'm not seeing as many films at the cinema these days.
LOL Keith, yep, we couldn't take a trick... the cinema was quite empty as we went midway through the day on a business day so we thought they should have spread out the patrons a bit more given all the space available.
Oh well.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Movies”