Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Keith and Della Hong Kong 2019

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Keith and Della Hong Kong 2019

Postby KeithS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:46 am

Hi Folks - just starting a thread for our Hong Kong trip later this week.

Keep an eye out here for daily trip updates from Saturday or Sunday (depending on how I'm feeling!)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Keith and Della Hong Kong 2019

Postby KeithS » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:25 am

We are safely here!  I'll be writing a report soon, so stand by :)
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:02 am

Holiday Journal 2019 – Hong Kong
Day 1 – Saturday 20 April 2019.  Sydney – Hong Kong
It is a beautiful Saturday morning in Sydney and Della and I wake up at 5:30am to get ready for our trip up to Hong Kong.  I’m particularly excited for this trip – not sure why though, maybe it is a combination of a short flight, a park we haven’t been to in a while, new hotel and new attractions…Anyway – I’m ready to get going.

Of course, we firstly have to have breakfast, finish packing, and order a taxi first.  We had already squared away yesterday with our neighbours to collect mail and look after the house.  Our flight this morning is at 10:20am, however as it is Easter Saturday, we thought we had better head early to the airport.

So all our packing was complete by 7am, and I called for the taxi – they came pretty much within 10 minutes and we locked the house and loaded up the cab.  Our driver was great today and we chatted all the way to the airport – but when we got near the terminal, the traffic started crawling as holiday makers were heading out of town.  When we finally got dropped off, we headed into the terminal and it was packed!  But the check-in terminals at Qantas are now super-efficient so it didn’t take too long to check in and drop off the bags.  Likewise Customs and security had all the desks and security gates operating and we got through in about 20 minutes.  After a quick round of the shops, we headed to the lounge to wait our flight.

Around 9:30, we went to the gate and got in line for boarding.  We were on the plane pretty quickly and settled ourselves in for the flight.  We were in a new Qantas 787 in their new Premium Economy seats – I have to say I liked them much more than the old Premium Economy.  In the end, our flight departed about 40 minutes late, but the pilot said the weather was good and we would arrive an hour early!

The flight was super smooth, but when we got to about 150 klms from Hong Kong, we started to do laps – apparently the weather in Hong Kong wasn’t good (we later found out they had issued a Red rain alert for a severe thunder storm).  We circled for about an hour before they said we were going to make our approach.  The seatbelt sign came on even though we were still at 27,000 feet and 150 klms away – good thing too, as we  went pretty much straight into severe turbulence.  It was like a roller coaster and tower of terror all in one.  The turbulence lasted about 15 minutes in which we had lightning, thunder, screaming babies, and screaming adults – quite an event.  We finally broke through it into sunshine near the airport and landed without incident (except a very heavy landing) and about 30 minutes late.

We breezed through customs and immigration though and very quickly we were in a taxi heading to the resort.  And what a resort this is – we are staying at the new Explorer’s Lodge at HKDL!  It appears similar to Animal Kingdom Lodge that we stayed at in January.  When we checked in, we got a Platinum annual pass for Della to help her with merchandise payments (20% discount!). Our room was upgraded to the top floor (thanks to the Mayor of Hong Kong Barry) – which we can’t wait to see in daylight tomorrow.  The room itself is huge!

Once we got in the room, we sent a text to Elissa – she’s in HKDL too, and they were just heading back to the hotel from the park, so we decided to meet her and her group of six at the Chart Room Café for dinner. It was great catching up with them, but tiredness was taking its toll – so we bid goodnight and returned to the room (via a quick look at the shop – geez…there was a lot of interesting merchandise that’ll be coming home!) We were well behaved though, and didn’t buy anything on the spot – instead, we came back to the room and headed to bed.  Tomorrow, we will catch up with Elissa, Judy, Lisa and the girls again.  Should be fun!
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:41 pm

Wow, the Explorer's Lodge. I had a bit of a poke around there last time I was in Hong Kong and it quickly became my favorite of the hotels there just from the what i was able to see, without actually looking in the rooms. I'm interested in an in depth review of the pace.

I don't know if we copped the same weather front or something but I was coming back to Chiang Mai from Bangkok yesterday and we had 4 aborted attempts at landing before we were finally successful. At one point, after a particularly nasty sudden drop, even the cabin crew were screaming. Luckily I only had carry-on because the entire airport terminal was in darkness because the power had been cut by the storm and nothing was working.

Who needs to go to  theme park when you can just do that. :-)

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:55 am

Yep - sounds like a similar storm front to what we had...exciting stuff!  Glad you landed safely though.

Here is my update from today (sorry Greg, it was all shopping today!)

Day 2 – Sunday 21 April 2019.  Hong Kong Disneyland
The alarm went off at 7:30am today and we got up – ready to hit the resort hotels in the morning and the park after lunch.  I made a coffee in the room and opened the curtains onto our first view from the room. We are looking out across the water to the south of Lantau – with the city of Hong Kong visible to the far left. It is a great view, even on a humid and overcast day like today.

After getting ready, we headed to the lobby to have a look around our hotel, taking photos of the lobby when we ran into Elissa and the girls.  Elissa said she was looking to change their booking for the Enchanted Garden character dining tonight to get us on their table and she would text us later in the day.  Della and I then walked to the Hollywood Hotel next door – it was amazing to see how established the gardens were now – a far cry from our first visit in 2006!

At the Hollywood, we went to the Hollywood and Dine café to eat breakfast – a tradition of ours since our first visit to Hong Kong.  We just go there and eat cereal and coffee but it is a fun little café. After breakfast, we hit the hotel store and ran into the girls again.  We bought some more merchandise before heading into the hotel’s rear garden and on to the sea promenade. We used the promenade to walk back to our hotel. Once there, we took a tour around the garden area which was beautifully designed.

We dropped our merchandise in the room before heading to the pool area to check it out – the pool looked very inviting and I think we will go swimming later in the week.  Back on the promenade, we headed to the Disneyland Hotel to check out their store.  While there, we got a text from Elissa saying they sorted us out for dinner at 8pm, so we would be joining their group for the character dining – yay!

After more shopping, we took the walking path to the entrance of Disneyland, as always enjoying that quiet walk with the music playing in the background.  The crowd at the gates was fairly light and we entered the park just after midday. First things first, we headed to the Duffy shop in Main Street to buy Della a Cookie (friend of Duffy).  There was a big wall of Cookies and Della and I began searching for “The One” – the Cookie who will come home with us.  As Della was going through all the candidates, who should tap her on the shoulder but the full size Cookie!  She was very interested in talking to Della and it was one of those magical Disney moments that just happen once in a while.

We finally found the Cookie who would come home with us and then we tackled the whole length of the Emporium – collecting merchandise as we went.  It was a fun shopping trip. We decided to stop for a bite to eat at the Midtown café and we got toasted ham and cheese sandwiches which we ate on a bench in Main Street. As it was almost parade time, we stayed on the bench and watched the Flights of Fantasy Parade.  It may be old now (starting at the commencement of their 5th anniversary celebrations – nine years ago – but it is still a good parade.

After the parade, we headed to Tomorrowland which had changed a lot with the construction of Antman and the Wasp, and the Ironman Experience rides.  We can’t wait to try them tomorrow. Today though, we were shopping and got some cool merchandise there (and will get more tomorrow).

After Tomorrowland, we walked towards It’s a Small World and stopped for some ice cream – I had a Mickey head ice cream, and Della had a Lotso head strawberry and sherbet iced sorbet which she loved.  We continued walking to the back of the castle construction – it is important to note here that the castle is being expanded so half the hub is blocked with walls. Behind the castle, the new construction is on the way up and is now higher than the original castle.  We went through the Fantasyland shops before heading down to Toy Story Land.

I should also point out that it is Easter here and they have a large egg hunt on at the moment, with eggs all through the park and hotels to find, so we’ve been photographing them as we find them. We did the large stores in Toy Story Land and Mystic Point before heading to Adventureland and the shop there too. It was getting late now and we still had the jewellery stores in Main Street to tackle, so we headed there and Della got some Hong Kong Pandora exclusives.  After another run through the Emporium, we headed out the park for the day around 6pm.

We went back to our room and got changed for the character dining event at the Enchanted Garden.  We then walked back to the Disneyland Hotel and found Elissa and the girls in the lobby having a drink. Around 7:50pm, we headed down to the restaurant and the waiting area was packed, but once they started letting the 8pm session in, the line moved quickly.  We were seated near the back of the restaurant, close to where we had the Club dinner back in 2011.  We then went to the buffet and got food before the characters started coming.

First up was Alice and the White Rabbit and they were great despite having to be quick. Della and I got a photo and the girls got a group photo. We continued eating and next up came Minnie who was looking great in mauve. But Mickey was the big star when he arrived and took a liking to Della which was hilarious – she couldn’t get away from him which was funny. We took group and individual photos then he grabbed Della again as asked my permission if it was okay to make a fuss of Della (I gave him the thumbs up!)

We continued chatting and checking out the photopass pictures when we had a second visit from Mickey and Minnie later on – so we couldn’t have asked for more.  The night was a lot of fun and Della and I are grateful to Elissa and the girls for letting us crash the party.

After dinner, we said goodnight to everyone and then went to the hotel store (we needed more shopping!). After that, we walked back to the Explorer’s Lodge and called it a night. What a fun day that was and we didn’t do a single attraction! Tomorrow we are back at the park for more fun times!
Keith

Trip history:

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:46 am

Wow what a great start - and meeting Cookie within your first few moments in the park!  So great you could meet up with Elissa, Judy and their friends for a couple of dinners; the Enchanted Gardens sounds fantastic with the characters who made it a little more memorable.  We'll be staying at Explorers Lodge so am looking forward to your reviews on that through the week.

I'm not sure my head/stomach needed that landing story, I wasn't sure whether to laugh at how you wrote it or panic that it could be me going through that!!
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:14 am

Day 3 – Monday 22 April 2019.  Hong Kong Disneyland
Today we awoke to clearer skies (even some blue) but still hot and humid.  After we got up and dressed, we created a short loot video for Jess before heading downstairs to have breakfast.  We ate breakfast in the food court of the Explorers Lodge before returning to the room to get ready for a full park day.

We walked to Disneyland again via the sea promenade – although it was hot, there was a hint of a cooler breeze that made it more pleasant. We went quickly through security and through the gate into the park.  Our first stop was the Duffy meet and greet. We hopped on the line and were able to meet Duffy and Shellie-May together which was great.  It certainly made Della happy!

Next up, we headed to Tomorrowland and were going to ride Antman, but it was a 30 minute wait. The Ironman Experience next door was pretty much a walk on though, so we headed there. It is a fun ride – if you’ve been on Star Tours you know what to expect except the ride is wholly set in Hong Kong. There is a neat Stan Lee cameo too…

After Ironman, we walked to Hyperspace Mountain but it was down, so we headed up to It’s a Small World for a change of pace and a chance to cool down inside…yay!  After that, we headed to the Teacups for a quick spin.

We then headed back to Tomorrowland and had lunch in the Starliner Diner before getting in line for Antman and the Wasp. The queue said 20 minutes, but in reality it was less than 10. What a fun new ride this is – it is similar to the Shanghai version of Buzz Lightyear, but better! It had a story, some awesome special effects, story driven projections that weren’t the main part of the ride (I find too many rides are cheaping out by using projections) and plenty of practical sets that are awesome.  This is not another screen-simulator ride, but a great omni-mover shoot ’em up.

After Antman (and associated gift shop shopping) we went to the Ironman meet and greet which was great fun too. Ironman was cool.

Next – we were heading to Fantasyland but realised the parade was just starting (and Hyperspace Mountain had a long queue) – so we doubled back to the hub area (or half hub due to construction walls!). From there we went into the Princess Gardens – and indoor Princess meet and greet. Only Prrincess Sophia was there (as the parade was on…) but we went to the Princess shop in there which was great – so much cool merchandise and nicely laid out – even better, we were the only two in the massive store!  We bought a few things and the girl arranged for our packages to be sent to the hotel for us.

Next we headed into Adventureland and over to the Grizzly Gulch mine train for a ride on that.  It is a great coaster with a lift hill, a backwards section, and a linear acceleration section. The girl in front of us screamed the entire time which was pretty amazing – I thought she’d explode!

From there, we headed to Mystic Point and went on Mystic Manor – the queue was a bit longer but it was great to go on again after quite a few years since our last trip.

Next we walked through Toy Story Land without riding – it always amazes me how packed this land gets – we just sat down for a while on a paddle-pop stick chair and drank more water. We then grabbed and ice cream in Fantasyland which we ate outside Mickey’s Philharmagic.

We then went back to Main Street and the Duffy shop to buy a shirt Della wanted before heading back to the Hub to watch the Mickey and friends show. We would a cool spot on the balcony of the Plaza Inn to photograph all the characters as they went backstage so I got some great photos.

Next we decided to grab dinner at the fish and chip place in Grizzly Gulch before again heading back to Main Street for some shopping. We finished shopping just on 7:30 and stepped out of the Emporium as the Mickey Main Street projection show commenced. The show projected Mickey through the years on the Main Street buildings – at the end of the show, Mickey jumped up on a stage in Town Square – which just happened to be right in front of us, so that was cool.

As soon as that show ended, we just grabbed a spot on the gutter in Town Square to watch Paint the Night. We had never seen the Hong Kong one but have seen Anaheim many times.  The floats were pretty much the same, however the walking cast had different outfits which was cool to see. We love both versions of the parade.

Once the parade finished, we waited for the crowd to disperse before leaving the park for the day. Another fun day, and we are back tomorrow.
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:07 pm

The Antman ride is new since I was last there, makes me want to visit again, it even sounds like my sort of ride ie. doesn't get off the ground. If my cousin was here visiting me at the moment I would probably meet you there for a coffee.

I enjoy that walk between the Park and the hotels as well. The banners, the music playing and it is usually deserted since I get there early so I can have breakfast in one of the hotels before the Park opens.

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:19 am

Antman only opened three weeks ago, so it is brand new.  On to today's report :)

Day 4 – Tuesday 23 April 2019.  Hong Kong Disneyland
I woke up this morning a bit under the weather, a bad headache and upset stomach – but was that going to stop me hitting the parks? No way!  So after a shower and popping some Advil, we headed down to breakfast (I needed a coffee hit).  We then got ready for the day and hit the road to the park.  This time, instead of the sea promenade, we walked along Magic Road in front of the hotels – two reasons for this, it is shorter, and there is more tree coverage to keep the sun off as it was bright and sunny today with blue skies!

On arrival at the park, we went to Starbucks and I got a large cappuccino and Della got a mixed berry ice drink.  Then we wandered into Tomorrowland to ride Hyperspace Mountain – and I thought it was pretty awesome.  The Star Wars overlay worked better than the Ghost Galaxy one we saw in Anaheim – the projections being much brighter and clearer.  I always liked Hong Kong’s Space Mountain and it is great with the overlay now.  I also like the huge X-Wing fighter in the entrance.

Next we thought we would go to the Fantasy Gardens meet and greets, but only Pooh was there so we skipped it and went for a stroll around the newish Fairy Gardens. It is a walk through with interactive dioramas of the princess movies key moments. There is also a Tinker Bell meet and greet there, but no Tinker Bell today.  The garden itself is pretty cute though.

Next up, it was almost time for the stage show, Mickey and the Wonderous Book in the theatre where Golden Mickeys used to be. We entered the queue about 25 minutes before the show started.  It was very hot waiting, but the fans kept us cool.  Eventually we shuffled into the theatre and got a great seat on the right hand side of the theatre where the English subtitles appear.  The show was fantastic too – similar to the Magical Map show in Disneyland, but much better we thought. I liked the overarching story of helping Olaf find his page of the book by flicking through various story pages and have them come alive. Sequences from The Jungle Book, The Little Mermain, Brave and Tangled, a particularly memorable Princess and the Frog sequence, and culminating (of course) with Frozen. A great show – well worth seeing! (4.5 Mickey hats out of 5)

After the show, we headed to Main Street and noticed the queue outside the Duffy store. Duffy and Gelatoni were doing a dual meet and greet, so we jumped on the line as Della hadn’t met Gelatoni before.  Once we were through that meet and greet, we grabbed lunch as the Main Street bakery and sat in Centre St watching the parade go by.  The Duffy character handler told us that Stella-Lou would be appearing in Town Square straight after the parade, so we followed the parade into Town Square and stalked the character handlers.

Eventually we found out where she would appear but Shellie-May was first, so we got in line for her, then straight back in line for Stella!  It was good fun and the characters are pretty cute – Della had a great time.  We then noticed across the square that a line had formed near guest services – this was for Vanellope and Ralph, so we headed over there and got on that line too.  They were fantastic fun characters.

We then went for a walk through the Emporium and bought a few things including a USB rechargeable fan (you need it in this heat!).  Then we went and bought ice creams at the Centre Street outdoor vending cart and sat and ate them while texting friends back home.

Next we headed back to Tomorrowland where the Ironman ride was a walk on, so we went for a ride on it again – I saw heaps of things I missed the first time and now the story makes more sense.  After Ironman we did Antman and the Wasp – this time Della beat me so we are 1-1 on this attraction.  I love this ride – so much detail and things to see.

After Antman, we jumped on Astro Orbitor – I haven’t done that ride in years but it was good fun (especially when the wait is short!).  It was now late in the day and we decided we could go back to the hotel for dinner as there are no fireworks at the moment and we saw Paint the Night last night. But first we stopped on Main Street so Della could buy a Minnie Sip Sip (collectible sipper cup).

As we went under the railway tunnel to exit the park, we found no one was near the Mickey floral garden so we were able to grab unobstructed photos for once!  After leaving the park, we walked firstly to the Disneyland Hotel (just to check the shop) and then on to Explorer’s Lodge (also checking the shop). We did a room drop off of merchandise before going to the Chart Room Café for dinner and then back to the room to retire.  Tomorrow, our plan is to catch the subway into Hong Kong for a day of adventure in the city.
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:33 am

Day 5 – Wednesday 24 April 2019.  Hong Kong
Today is our Hong Kong city trip. But first we had to get breakfast and make the obligatory visit to the hotel shop. I needed to buy some stuff for family and friends, and when we were in there, we noticed a pile of Hong Kong Disneyland merchandise blind bags. These were just large resort bags that were completely sealed so you had no idea what you were buying. They were $150hkd but guaranteed to have $700hkd in merchandise – so we decided to buy one and open it later.

After breakfast, we went back to the room to pick up the backpack and water bottles and head on out for our day of adventure.  We walked from the hotel up to the Disneyland Resort Station and were going to purchase a Octopus card (like our Opal cards) but then we noticed they now have a one day tourist card for $65 (about $11AUD) which allows you travel anywhere on the Hong Kong MTR for 24 hours!  That is a much better deal as the Octopus card requires a deposit that you never remember to claim!  So we bought the two cards, went through the gates and boarded the train to Sunny Bay.

We only planned on doing the Kowloon side of Hong Kong Harbour this year and we used the West Rail Line to change for a train to East Tsim Sha Tsui. Once we arrived there, we firstly visited the Japanese department store Sogo – but it wasn’t as good as its larger store in Causeway Bay, so we headed on down Nathan Road to iSquare – this is somewhere that Jess had mentioned to me the other night and it was good fun.  First though, they had a Starbucks so we stopped there for a coffee and a muffin each to keep us fuelled for shopping.

We attacked each floor of iSquare and found some cool shops with different merchandise, including Disney stuff.  After a couple of hours there (it is 10 floors!) we then went into Nathan Road and the surrounding streets.  One thing we noticed is how much more upmarket the place had become – previously it was dominated by small electronic stores selling cameras and mobile phones of every shape and size.  But now, it was high end merchandise – all the top (i.e. expensive) fashion brands had moved into the area and it was just another expensive shopping area now.  Harbour City used to have all of that stuff, but now it had spread into the Nathan Road area which is a shame.  There were still the dodgy guys trying to sell “copy watches” but the place really had been cleaned up (and therefore lost some character).

After doing the rounds of the shops and trying to avoid the expensive labels, we headed to the Avenue of the Stars for a view across the harbour to Hong Kong city.  It was a nice day with the sun shining and blue skies, although it was a bit overcast above Victoria Peak.  We took a bunch of photos there and then headed back to pick up some merchandise we saw earlier at a store before catching the MTR back to Disney.

Once at Disney, we walked back to the Explorer’s Lodge to drop off our merchandise.   We then decided to go swimming in the pool.  We expected the water to be cooler, but it was actually warm water!  But it was very relaxing – the pool is enormous and we spent 30 minutes down there in the darkness before deciding it was time to head upstairs, get showered and go to dinner in the food court.

After dinner, we went back to the room to go through our loot and open the big blind bag.  It contained some awesome items including a Duffy plush (which Della didn’t have) a Stella-Lou scarf, Incredibles hat, a Tsum Tsum and other stuff. We were so impressed, we are tempted to buy another blind bag tomorrow!

Speaking of tomorrow, we will be heading back to the park for some more fun.
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:37 pm

I'm glad you said what was in the blind bag. I was sweating through the whole post to find out. 

You do spend a lot of time shopping though. We're not going to see you on some hoarders TV show some time in the future I hope. :-)

Can you give me an idea of what the Antman ride is about?

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:31 am

The Antman ride is a re-skin of the old Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters ride - similar concept in that you sit in a pod with a laser gun and shoot targets. But the technology has all evolved since the Buzz Lightyear days. First off, you can no longer control the spin of your vehicle, it turns automatically, secondly the guns are much better, you now know what you're shooting at. Thirdly, the targets aren't just some coloured patches on the wall but interactive screens themselves that change when hit. On top of it all is the storyline about nanobots requiring you to be shrunk to fight them off a computer system.  You will love it next time you visit Hong Kong.
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:04 am

Day 6 – Thursday 25 April 2019.  Hong Kong Disneyland
Today is our last full day in the park as we are heading home tomorrow night. But let’s not worry about that for now as first we have a full park day ahead. So we get dressed ready for the day and then Della starts to think that the shirt she bought and was to wear today was too big. She had already removed the tags but I said just see how it goes at breakfast. We headed to the Chart Room as normal and when we returned to the room, Della said she couldn’t wear that shirt out – so I had to go to the hotel store and buy her a smaller version.  That crisis over, we headed to the park and our first job was character hunting.

On entry to the park, Mickey and Minnie were in Town Square in their Easter clothes, so we jumped on the queue.  Two hours later, we got our photo taken! It was a long slow queue and we stood for a long time in the heat and sunshine, but that is what a dedicated husband Disney fan, will do…! Once that ordeal was over, we were going to get lunch, but then Chip ‘n’ Dale came out as a pair so we got in that line too.

Now we were definitely getting lunch, but on the way to the bakery, we stopped by the character guy looking after the Duffy store and he said Cookie would be out at 1:30.  As it was already 1pm, we grabbed a quick sandwich and a cold drink which we ate in Centre Street before jumping on the Cookie line – and not only was it Cookie, but Duffy was with her too.

After the meet and greet (which even I had to admit was super-cute) we hit the Duffy store again and bought a lot more merchandise which we then got sent back to the hotel.  From there, we headed up to the Princess Garden for a quick peek in the store there before moving into Adventureland and the store there. In Adventureland, they have a market place set up with some games to win pins and we saw Russell and Carl there playing them!  But we didn’t go in as The Festival of the Lion King show was exiting and the place was swamped with people – we’ll check the games out tomorrow.

We headed into Grizzly Gulch and straight on through to Mystic Manor where we got on the queue – it was just a 5 minute wait today and we breezed through to the ride which we great.  Next, we continued into Toy Story Land where we walked on to RC Racer – I forgot how that really leaves you hanging in the air – it is a good and fairly intense ride considering you don’t go upside down.  For a change of pace, we then went on Slinky Dog Spin which is a cute little wave ride.

After passing through the shops, we headed into Fantasyland and got our Lotso Ice Creams. I decided to try one today as Della said they were good – and they were!  We ate them while watching the carousel go around. We also grabbed a fastpass for Winnie the Pooh as the line was always long.

It was now time for the Mickey and the Wonderous Map show so we got in line and pretty much sat in the same seats as last time.  It hadn’t lost anything on a second showing – it is a great show.  

When we left, we walked towards Tomorrowland and went to the Stark Expo and Antman stores for some gifts. When we came out of the store, I wanted a photo beside the Antman and the Wasp ride sign, and that is when I found a small plaque at its based that said you must be 1.27 centimetres to ride! Haha – most people would miss it but it is really funny.

Next, we walked back up to Fantasyland as the Winnie the Pooh fastpass was due and we rode that (I used to look down on this ride, but it is actually not that bad!). We then noticed the carousel was quiet, so we hopped on while we had the chance.  Next, we headed back into Toy Story Land as Della wanted to check something in the store there, before we walked back to the Jungle Cruise for a night adventure.  I can’t remember doing the Hong Kong Jungle Cruise at night, but it was a hoot – our boat only had 10 people aboard and it was a fun crowd.

When we got off, we headed to Main Street as the Mickey projection show was about to commence, so we stood in the middle of the street to watch. When Mickey appeared on stage at the end of the projections, hundreds of people went running down Main Street to photograph him – I tell you, he’s still got it!

After the show, we headed inside for some more last minute shopping before leaving the park for the day.  We walked back to the resort, picked up our shopping that had been sent there, and then hopped into the pool as it had been stinking hot all day!  The pool is great here.  Next, Della went back to the room and I got a take away dinner from the Chart Room. Tomorrow is our last day in Hong Kong and we fly home in the evening – boo, it has been a terrific week up here!
Keith

Trip history:

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:54 am

I've been enjoying all the updates and look forward to hearing more first hand - especially the rides and which ones I may be able to do.  Antman actually sounds like a good one for me (despite having not seen the movie).  I always love the Winnie the Pooh rides although some spin a bit more for me than I'd like and the shows and parades also sound like I'll quickly fill my days.

Enjoy your last day, so glad Della's had plenty of opportunities to meet all her favourite characters!
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:36 pm

The Antman ride is a re-skin of the old Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters ride - similar concept in that you sit in a pod with a laser gun and shoot targets. 
Bit sad to hear that Buzz is no longer there but this sounds exactly like my sort of ride. Worth the trip to Hong Kong just to check it out.

Greg

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”