Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Trip Planning - Hong Kong/Shanghai

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Trip Planning - Hong Kong/Shanghai

Postby DisneyKaren » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:02 pm

I know there aren't too many readers on here so not sure it's the best place to ask however external forums usually give too much info that's hard to sort through for actual usable advice - 
I'm going to Hong Kong & Shanghai next year for Chinese New Year as it's going into Year of the Rat which is my year.  I know it's a crazy time to go especially as it falls at the end of Aust school holidays, however I've been wanting to do this for well over a year.  My sister and I have decided to stay at the Disney hotels as we'll only do 1 day in each city so better to be close.

Hotel prices come out 3mths (SDL) and 6 mths (HKDL)   ahead so we are currently getting quotes from a travel agent so we can pre-book.  Prices are far higher than we anticipated, especially at SDL (largely because they built in a few extras we don't need and only quoted DL Hotel).  We're getting them to requote with accom only at Toy Story Hotel.

What do you do for booking hotels, airport shuttles, park tickets, etc?  While we know it won't be a cheap trip, we also want it to be somewhat affordable.
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Trip Planning - Hong Kong/Shanghai

Postby KeithS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:42 am

Hi Karen.

When we went to Shanghai, we just booked the hotel directly on the Shanghai Disney Resort website.  I thought I booked more than three months out though, so maybe their release policy has changed.  I'd have to look back at my booking emails when I'm back home to check.

As for transfers from the airport - we just grabbed a local taxi once we were through customs.  The guy didn't speak a word of English and had no idea about Disneyland even though it had been open nearly a year when we went there.  Luckily, we had printed out the resort address in chinese and he was able to plug it into his GPS and got us there with no problems.

For Hong Kong, again we just booked directly with the resort through the website.  And we just get a taxi from the airport to the hotel (in Hong Kong, they all know Disney so it isn't such a big problem).  We did get a bus transfer a couple of times (our early trips) but you have to wait for the departure time and it is easier just to grab a taxi. 

Just remember to have cash with you in Shanghai and Hong Kong to pay the taxi drivers :)

For park tickets at both parks, we just bought them in the hotels when we were there - as you are staying on property, it is really easy - just get them at the reception/concierge area.

As I'm heading to Hong Kong on Saturday - I'll be able to update you if we discover anything different :)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Thanks Keith, we were concerned about waiting for the rooms to open up on the websites but maybe it'll end up cheaper.  Appreciate your feedback and looking forward to reading all about your trip!
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:32 am

Seems the websites must have had issues as I've looked up both Hong Kong and Shanghai and these are available - also much cheaper than the travel agent.  Happy for any suggestions for visiting both parks though.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:49 pm

I can't be much help with the hotels, I usually just stay in cheap places in the city.

I can reiterate Keith with the local taxis. If you have the name and address printed in the local language that you can hand to the taxi driver, or the taxi desk at the airport, they all have gps these days and can find something major like Disneyland with no problems. They are certainly the best and easiest option.

If you are feeling a bit braver, and don't have too much luggage, you can get the train from the airport in Hong Kong to Disneyland. It is a couple of train changes and quite a walk from the train station to the hotel so maybe not the best option.

I have a bit of a trip report on the forum here from my trip to Shanghai which was fairly recent that may give you an idea or 2.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:54 am

I can reiterate Keith with the local taxis. If you have the name and address printed in the local language that you can hand to the taxi driver, or the taxi desk at the airport, they all have gps these days and can find something major like Disneyland with no problems. They are certainly the best and easiest option.
If you are feeling a bit braver, and don't have too much luggage, you can get the train from the airport in Hong Kong to Disneyland. It is a couple of train changes and quite a walk from the train station to the hotel so maybe not the best option.
I have a bit of a trip report on the forum here from my trip to Shanghai which was fairly recent that may give you an idea or 2.
Greg
We've decided from Keith's feedback that we'll do taxis and I started reading some reviews on here where Lauren also did a taxi in Shanghai - seems easiest in both places.
I've been home with a bit of a flu for a few days so haven't been able to read much at a time.  Feeling more capable this morning so will get into them.  This is what I love about the website, having reviews to go back on, sure things change, but it's a great starting point.
FYI - I don't understand what 'don't have too much luggage' means?  This is a new phrase to me.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:59 pm

FYI - I don't understand what 'don't have too much luggage' means?  This is a new phrase to me.
For me it means having more luggage than can fit in a plastic shopping bag. Of course your mileage may differ. :-)

Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:59 am

For me it means having more luggage than can fit in a plastic shopping bag. Of course your mileage may differ. :-)
Greg
Haha, 'don't have too much luggage' is a non existent phrase in my vocabulary.  For this trip I plan on taking the largest checked in and carry on I can manage!  We'll also take a flat duffel in case we need an extra checked-in on returning.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:34 pm

Haha, 'don't have too much luggage' is a non existent phrase in my vocabulary.  For this trip I plan on taking the largest checked in and carry on I can manage!  We'll also take a flat duffel in case we need an extra checked-in on returning.
I'll stop making suggestions about using local commuter trains then. :-)

Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Karen's Hong Kong/Shanghai trip Jan 2020

Postby DisneyKaren » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:16 pm

We've pre-purchased our park tickets for Hong Kong and we're at the airport waiting for our 00:40 departure!  Hopefully I'll sleep on the plane.  We'll be at Hong Kong Disney nice and early so will make the most of our first day, although may need an afternoon nap or just crash early.  I worked today, while Lynelle has been recovering after the long drive from Canberra.  Winter clothes are packed for Shanghai, slightly lighter for Hong Kong - looking forward to the cooler weather after Brisbane's humidity.

I've heard that Hong Kong Disney isn't doing as much this year for Chinese New Year, however as we've never been to the park it will still be amazing and I'm sure there's still some sort of decorations up and merchandise on the shelves.  I'm hoping to try Tai Chi with Goofy a couple of times and hopefully we'll be able to meet the characters dressed up in their new year best.  I know the park is smaller and attendance is down so perhaps we'll get everything done in a day, however it will be great to have time to line up for meet & greets, check out restaurants, hotels and of course the shops.  I'm looking forward to the new parades and shows (well new to me) and seeing what the park has to offer.

Just need to stay awake for another hour!  Hopefully I'll have time to write updates through the holiday.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:34 pm

Good luck with the flight and staying awake when you need to and sleeping when you need to. 

I'm really looking forward to hearing what it's like in Hong Kong at the moment.

Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:06 am

Day 1 - Wednesday 15 Jan 2020

After perhaps a couple of hours sleep/dozing we arrived tired but ready for a day at Disney.  Everything was quick and easy (other than finding which baggage carousel was ours which was quiet funny as we're walking all the way down to 9 and then assumed it would be closer to where we came in so walked back to the highest (13/15?), then finally found tv screens telling us which was ours - number 8!  Leaving the airport I stopped for quite a few Chinese New Year decoration photos; even the airport was fun.  Well sign posted, we easily found the blue taxis and waited only a short time for one to come along. Our taxi driver managed to hit a top speed of 135 (that Lynelle saw) and I found it a little less nerve wracking to look out the side rather than the front.  Loved seeing the green mountains and scenery along the way.  At check-in I had a panic as I couldn't find the cash I'd put aside to pay for the remainder of the hotel, however as soon as we arrived in the room I remembered where I'd stashed it (it was in my handbag all along) and after we changed and got ready for the day we went down to pay.  Lynelle had pre-advised the staff it was my birthday trip (even though my birthday isn't until Feb, I wanted to come for Chinese new year which is early this year).  They kindly gave me a card and badge so I was like an excited 5 year old as we left the reception.  

Explorers Lodge is stunning and I see why those who've stayed here rave about it. We are on the third floor which we actually like as it's the same level as reception so no waiting for the elevators and we have an ocean view looking over Rafiki Garden. On our way out  of the hotel we checked out the hotel shop and got excited about Chinese New Year merchandise.  I also found a nice watch that has a small face and put that on my wish list.  Then it was to the shuttle and the park.  I took my time photographing the flags and other great touches along the walkway - Disney, how I've missed you.  Straight through security and to the turnstiles around 9:45 ready for a 10:00am opening ........... it opens at 10:30.   The first thing I noticed was how low the crowds were.  We weren't far back and there weren't that many people behind us. Perhaps to a first-timer it would look busy, but even quiet times at Disneyland are way busier than this.  

I'd taken my last gingerbread biscuit with me and snacked on my Mickey head gingerbread while waiting - seemed a perfect time to eat him.  Just prior to opening Mickey and Minnie, wearing their Chinese New Year best, drove in and walked along in front of the crowds (safely on the other side of the turnstiles).  This got the crowd going before they opened the park and in we all streamed.  Heading straight to City Hall for our First Visit badges, we stopped briefly for a photo with Goofy, the God of Fortune as there wasn't a line up yet.  Some photos along Main Street of the pretty decorations up - pretty pick flowers and lovely Chinese New Year (CNY) banners - now if they sold these I'd be broke, it's the park decorations that I really want to buy!  A stop for Chip & Dale in their CNY outfits was fun - due to lower crowds we are getting plenty of time with the characters which is fun and we don't feel rushed at all.  Despite the work on the castle I still had my photo taken in front of it.  I kind of feel it looks over crowded with the different turrets, however I suspect the scaffolding around the bottom and the cranes are probably skewing the overall look.  It's a Disney Castle, I still love it!

We decided that due to our tiredness we'd just stroll around the whole park, go through the shops, check out menus at restaurants and just see what we came across.  First was Chip & Dale in Adventureland wearing their Explorers outfits so we had another chipmunk photoshoot.  Through Mystic Point and Toy Story land before lunch at the Royal Banquet Hall.  Our tickets gave us a free combo meal up to the value of $130 so we bought the steak meal and Mickey vegetable potato cake between us and shared a great meal.  Naturally there were photos taken in the dining area which is beautifully done.  Next door is Mickey's PhilharMagic which I just love so we went in and I realised that perhaps a dark room with comfy chairs wasn't recommend - stayed awake and enjoyed seeing this again. Fairy Tale Forest was fun and with few people it was easy to take photos and stop an enjoy the interactive displays.  It was here we found out that my new camera takes photos simply by touching the touch-screen on the back so we are accumulating some random photos as we pass the camera between us.  Some I delete, others I don't notice until I download.  Fantasy Gardens was still set up for Christmas and looking super pretty with large baubles and at night the fairy lights lit it up beautifully.  Anna & Elsa were taking photos but we skipped this for now.  Small World was still closed however next door Mickey and the Wonderous Book was about to start so we filed in and ended up sitting next to Australians.  I remembered to sit on the right (there could be signs but in our tiredness I can't guarantee this.  For some reason I thought this may be outdoors like the California show and didn't realise I would be back in a dark room with comfy chairs.  A fantastic show, only disturbed by some head nodding on my part.  

Back to Main Street we strolled through shops, photographed Cookie-Ann leaving her photoshoot and then found a spot for Flights of Fantasy.  This is when the park kind of looks crowded, however it's still quiet for a parade.  Although short I love how they stop for a while and dance, interacting with kids - at the Toy Story section where we were they gave the little kids balls to through back.  We returned to the hotel to get a light jacket for the evening and get everything ready for bed for when we returned.  Returning to the park for another stroll through the shops and night photos of Main Street, we then watched We Love Mickey projection show.  Fun way to end our fight day at Hong Kong Disneyland.

Sleeping tablet and bed for a 9-10 hour (much needed) sleep.

About to start day 3 and must go as my sister is threatening to confiscate my laptop so I can finish getting ready and walk over to the Disneyland Hotel for Tai Chi with Goofy!

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:28 pm

Day 2 - Thursday 16 Jan 
(so I just spent half an hour typing this and it disappeared so hopefully works this time)

With the park not opening until 10:30 we spent the nice sunny morning strolling through the hotel grounds, looking at Rafiki Garden and Kevin's Garden (Up).  Both are really lovely and I always enjoy the changes to lamps and other items to delineate the different areas.  We really are loving this hotel.  Visiting the Chartroom café for a fruit salad, we moved upstairs to the lounge so we could eat with a great view over the garden and to the ocean.  Today I used the lobby toilets for the first time and I loved how the theming went all the way to the doors.  Yes I did take a photo!  We decided to brave the mystery bags as we could feel a medium sized plushie.  We did great - Lynelle got Cookie Ann and I received Stella Lou!  We also got a small biscuit tin and some small items. The plush was worth it.

Into the park and to Fantasyland where Cinderella was greeting kids in front of her Carousel (well one kid).  We walked on to Winnie the Pooh receiving our first sticker of the day which ended up being the first of many, many stickers.  I'd forgotten people saying it was sticker heaven here.  On our way to Small World we saw Olaf waiting for customers in Fantasy Gardens so we headed into the garden as cast members waved us over for a photo.  Yes it's that quiet.  Olaf was fun and when I walked in front of him so Lynelle could join the photo, I bumped his nose and we had a laugh as he kept pointing to his nose.  Walking straight on to Small World we had a great ride and enjoyed the extra Hong Kong/China exhibit.  I do enjoy this ride.

On the way to Festival of the Lion King we stopped for photos with Carl from Up - a rare opportunity.  Into the show which was fantastic from the first note to the last.  Those singers are amazing as are the dancers, fire dancers and acrobats, plus I loved how they mixed the Cantonese and English to bring the story to everyone.  With a little time before Moana, we went to the Main St Bakery for lunch then found a seat on some steps in front of a façade to enjoy my cottage pie and Lynelle's sandwich.  Good food.  Moana, A Homecoming has more of a comedic slant aimed at children.  No singing with just the background music being played, the actors openly discussed that everyone is just playing a part with even Moana having a few jokes at the expense of the skinny Chinese guy playing Maui.  The (marginally) bigger tattooed guy with Hei Hei on his hand would have been more suited and did try to get Moana's attention for the role.  He was a good Hei Hei.  It was fun and I'd see it again.

Crossing the river on a raft to Tarzan's Treehouse, Lynelle noted that this is the only park where you can see so much of the terrain outside the park.  The green mountains are a beautiful backdrop around the park.  Next we headed to the Jungle Cruise which actually had about a 10min wait, largely due to boats going in different languages.  On to Mystic Manor which I knew I could do with Brad & Rebecca introducing me to Haunted Mansion.  The name had always indicated a more rough ride so we'd avoided it at previous parks.  I will say this one and Winnie are both a little jerky for us and Lynelle didn't find it was good for her.  I was ok and would probably do it again if I have the time.

Strolling through Toy Story Land to Main St ready for the parade.  First up was the Janitors percussion band playing their rubbish bins and dust pans.  So talented.  This time when Flights of Fantasy stopped for the dance number, we had Jungle Book and Lion King floats in front of us. Here the performers handed out some instruments like an African maraca for the kids to shake.  I'm enjoying seeing the interaction they have making this short parade so much fun.  Afterwards we darted across the road to the Duffy greeting room and learnt Shellie May was next so we lined up for our first Duffy & Co character meet.  Shellie May had to open the door herself and bolt it down, adding to the excitement in the crowd.  When at the doorway I saw someone go in to hug Shellie May down went Shellie May!  I thought it was funny, Lynelle did not :(.  Shellie May recovered and was fit and able to meet us and have photos.  This was one of the first times I truly saw someone take photos of just the character and boy did she play up to the camera!

A quick return to the hotel to change over water bottles and pick up long sleeve shirts when we ran into Explorer Goofy so naturally we stopped for photos as Goofy is always a bit of fun.  Back to Royal Banquet Hall for dinner so Lynelle could use the 50% off a combo meal which came with our ticket, while I wasn't hungry so just had the cute Piggy Pork buns.  On our way out we photographed Fantasy Gardens as the lights were coming on and it really looked like a Fantasy Garden.  To Tomorrowland and we stopped at the Star Wars photos to learn R2D2 and Chewbacca were waiting.  With nobody else in line we went straight in and had our photos taken.  Although the cast member was quick to hand back the camera, Chewie was making noise and waving us back so we took a few more photos.  I introduced my sister to the competition ride of Antman & the Wasp Nano Battle and we both loved it.  While I haven't done this, Della & Keith introduced me to these types back in California.  We'd never tried them due to being indoors and we had no idea, plus 'Midway Mania' just sounds like a roller coaster.  Another great We Love Mickey show.  At the end the confetti was blown in our direction so I was one of 'those' people who bent down and picked up lots of gold Mickey Head confetti to use for decorating.  Sure I don't know what I'll decorate, but it's cute.

Another great day.
Last edited by DisneyKaren on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:23 am

Awesome updates Karen, I've only just caught up. Keep them coming. I've lost big updates I've written before too, so now I write them in Notepad before cutting them into the forum so they don't go missing (pro-tip LOL).
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:39 pm

Thanks Keith - I am now using Notepad for safety.  Also does anyone know how to change the topic name?  I'm using the trip planning one I set up.

Day 3 - Friday 17 Jan

Today I took my first Tai Chi with Master Goofy class at Disneyland Hotel.  First a cast member came out and did warm up with us, then Master Goofy entered and showed us through Tai Chi.  It was a quiet class and Master Goofy showed a more serious side.  Naturally afterwards there were opportunities to line up for photos with Master Goofy, Lynelle was my official photographer through the class and again when I lined up.  Once class was over, we checked out the resort shop before heading downstairs where Lynelle did the maze.
Instead of taking the bus, we walked the Park Promenade to the Park and once again arrived before opening - I do like the 10:30am opening, makes for a nice start to the day.  This morning we wanted to get some character photos done so started with Mickey & Minnie before the line got too long.  Donald was on his own so we checked when he'd be out with Daisy.  While waiting there was time to get photos with Stella Lou, then line straight back up again for Gelatoni.  Daisy really played up to people prior to getting photos.  She gave Lynelle a big hug and Donald got jealous so he photo bombed.  So much fun.  We both love how great the Disney photographers are here, they take loads of shots from walking in to walking out.  Lynelle believes they should send the American photographers across for lessons!  Lines still seem to move very quickly.

Hong Kong cast members are really standing out to me for such lovely greetings.  Today there is a new popcorn bucket out (there's been 2 Christmas ones as well as a Mickey & Minnie head so far).  A cast member, Anthony, just started talking to me, gave me a sticker then mentioned I had Simba on my shirt and it was also the new bucket.  These random conversations and the many cast who end with Happy New Year has really made this Disney trip even more friendly.

Back to the Royal Banquet Hall for another free lunch on our second 2 day pass.  This time I had the roast chicken which comes with loads of beans and some fries.  Lynelle got her standard Mickey vegetable plate and we split.  Over the past few days we'd been messaging with a couple of people on Facebook who'd reached out on an Asian parks site.  They live in Hong Kong and have annual passes so were hoping to meet up with people when they came to town.  We met Jefferson and then Susanna for Festival of the Lion King.  Sitting up the front just behind the wheelchair area provided a great view.  Another great show and just after Simba defeated Scar and took back Pride Rock, all the cast left the stage, then an announcement came over first in Cantonese and then English, however by the time we heard the information to follow cast members we'd already figured out we were evacuating (the smell of smoke was also a cue).

Mystic Manor was our next point of call, however it was temporarily closed.  Jefferson showed us how the Garden of Wonders worked and we had fun taking photos.  We saw Lotso heading in to the photo area while going through Toy Story land and it makes me realise how much everyone just loves characters regardless of good or evil.  Back in Main Street to watch the daytime parade we saw a great drawing of sleeping Mickey on the pavement so down I got to pretend to sleep and take a photo.  Jefferson loves the band which leads the parade in so we headed to the train station to watch the parade from a higher vantage point and when the parade stopped for interaction time, the band were right in front of us.  It's been great standing in different places and seeing different sections of the parade.
The Duffy Afternoon Tea at Corner St Café was something Jefferson had always wanted to do and the rest of us didn't need any convincing, we were in.  Great food and getting to know our new friends made for a wonderful afternoon tea.  Lynelle and my 2-day passes came with 15% off which was a nice bonus.  One of my favourite things is Animation Academy and everyone was happy to come along and learn to draw Baymax.  Although the class is in Cantonese, it's not that hard to follow - well not easy to draw, but I could easily see what I should be drawing.  I seem to do ovals when I need a circle and then a great circle when I need an oval.

As Lynelle and I are restricted with our backs to which rides we do, it was off to Tomorrowland where first we stopped and had a group photo with R2D2.  On leaving I said "R2D2 hi-five?"  Poor R2D2, his head whizzed around as he made a lot of noise!  Jefferson wanted to take us through the queue for Iron Man just to see the exhibits on the way as he felt it was just as good as the ride (seeing neither Lynelle or I could do it), then we competed in Antman & The Wasp.  There weren't line-ups for either ride.  Nearly time for the night entertainment, we did some shopping.  I finally bought the cutlery set I've been considering for some years and also a nice watch.  They had new mystery bags out which had CNY before the number so we were hoping it was Chinese New Year gear.  This time we did a good check of the bag and were pretty sure one had Cookie Ann and the other CNY Mickey.  Susanna just wanted the Happy 2020 ears in the bag (we could see them through the material) and offered to share with me as I wasn't interested in those, so I came out with a CNY Cookie Ann and tin of biscuits for the cost of half a bag which I was very happy with.

Susanna then had to run as she had a flight to Europe that night!  The rest of us found a spot for the parade near the castle as the scaffolding seems to deter people so it was nice and quiet.  I have to say it was great meeting new people and spending a few hours at the park with them.  Jefferson put the call to people up on Facebook hoping to get one or two responses and he was flooded with offers of people who live in HK or will be visiting - Facebook certainly has a lot of good to offer and in this case it will hopefully give him company more often rather than going alone to the park.  We certainly enjoyed sharing time with other people, hearing what they enjoyed and their favourite places.

Tomorrow is a rest day and despite the shorter days I feel like I need it.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”