Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Karen's first trip to Japan

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Re: Karen's first trip to Japan

Postby DisneyKaren » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 am

Keith - you guys would love Universal here, however I'd avoid Halloween and the zombie run :?

Greg - my sister planned it, I showed up.  If I'd planned it we'd be at the Hilton Tokyo Bay, not the Disneyland Hotel - loving it though, pretty amazing experience staying here!

Lauren - I never gave Daiso enough credit and only started going in there this year.
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:32 am

Day 8 – Disneyland

We arrived at the special entry gate at least 1hr before park opening and found families settled on their picnic blankets, however we weren’t too far back in the queue. Cast members came out and got the crowd going, then characters came out (behind the closed gates) running along and waving. I was impressed how park-goers all just stood patiently when the gates opened, no one moved even one step forward.  15mins before general opening, the special entry gate was announced as opened and it was every man, women and child for themselves once we were through the turnstiles. I found Marie not far in and quickly tried to get in line for a photo – turns out you need to be somewhat pushy especially as the characters move and don’t follow any system.  Not something we’re used to, even though I remember hearing about this at the last Disneyana meeting I attended.

While the park was still unopened to the general admission, we rode the Carousel, Snow White and Peter Pan before heading to Toon Town.  I love this area and am so glad another park has included it.  Although similar to Anaheim, there are enough variances which we enjoyed looking around and of course seeing all the Christmas decorations.  Into Tomorrowland to get lottery tickets for the castle show – and they’re not needed!  As we’d both had small breakfasts the Sweetheart Café provided some Mickey treats for us.  I had a basil chicken Mickey pastry and also bought a strawberry muffin and Mickey banana & walnut muffin for snacks through the day.  Wanting to explore the entire park we came across a 5min wait for Pirates so we jumped on. As the boat made an unexpected decent we both grabbed our Minnie Ears off as they threatened to fly backwards.  Running into a few characters from the Jungle Book, we tried to get photos but they play up and have fun with guests so we got a couple of quickly and just had fun with them.  Super Duper Jumpin Time was our first show for the day and a lot of fun.  At least supercalifragilisticexpialidocious was in English, however we are both still loving the shows and aren’t fazed by them being in Japanese.

After searching out the ‘hidden’ (ok just to us) bathroom in Tomorrowland, we saw One Man’s Dream II, as there is no reservation required for the first show.  At first we both thought they were taking us through the first few movies, starting with Mickey and scenery in B&W and then everything went colour before Snow White joined the stage.  Randomly there was a cute It’s a Bug’s Life piece in the middle.  A wonderful show, great music as always.  Wandering through Fairytale Hall we read through Cinderella’s story and saw kids trying on the glass slipper (firmly attached to the ground).  A glass blower in the crystal shop was designing a Mickey when we walked in – oh the skill these guys have, so amazing how they create and make it look so easy.

Back to strolling through the park we went through Critter Country and to Adventureland, checking out Tom Sawyer Island while we were there.  Camp Woodchuck Kitchen for lunch I just had the fries as I wasn’t hungry having been gradually snacking on my strawberry muffin all morning.  A trip on the railroad before we found a spot for the parade. Can I just say I have so much respect for the Japanese how they sit for long periods.  We both had to stand up while waiting, assuring a cast member we would sit for the parade and then I struggled after the parade having been sitting for so long.  My young, but injured, back doesn’t take kindly to sitting like this for too long.  Happiness is Here was a great parade though and as always I took way too many photos while Lynelle videoed.

After this we found a spot for the castle show, in front of the castle in the central garden plaza – on a seat – in front of a garden.  This was a great position as it meant we could sit comfortably prior and people didn’t crowd us too much, also being in front of a garden we could lift our cameras at times without disturbing others; that said, the castle seems a little more elevated giving a better view.  While waiting, Lynelle headed out for her Mickey popcorn bucket, then I went out photographing in the evening light as the lights came on.  Once Upon a Time was another great show, I love the castle shows – ok I love every show and parade!!! 

Moving with the crowd we found a seat by the road for the Electrical Parade Dreamlights.  We took turns getting dinner, I headed into Toon Town for a Mickey hand sandwich with grilled chicken from the Good Time Café – very good.  Loved how they had some of the Electrical Light Parade music but added other music.  The floats just kept coming, amazing.  Not long afterwards we heard the fireworks were cancelled, not surprising considering the slight breeze.  With all the fantastic shows and parades we weren’t disappointed about no fireworks and I’d taken so many photos, it probably wasn’t a bad thing!

We finished our first day with a cruise through the jungle and then strolling through the shops in World Bazaar.

The merchandise is different here and we enjoy seeing it however other than my Disney Store purchases I haven’t bought anything – yet.  Stella Lou is looking cute and would like to help me decorate for Easter plus the Japanese Mickey & Minnie look sweet.  A silly thing I enjoyed, was seeing all the different popcorn buckets; we decided rather than the map saying which flavours were available in each location, it should label the bucket.  Many appeared to be ones they’d bought previously with a couple of different Easter buckets amongst all the characters.   

DisneySea was amazing yesterday which I’ll post about when I get time and today we’re headed there again as it’s overcast with a chance of rain and there was more indoor things there.  Although I started sneezing badly overnight I’m medicating up and heading out!  Wishing I’d bought those cheap Disney face masks at Daiso.
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:58 pm

I only had one Park day while I was in Tokyo (which is my excuse for going back) so I chose DisneySea. That makes it really nice to hear about Disneyland and what I missed out on but can look forward to seeing. If Disneyland is themed anywhere near as well as DisneySea then I'll be happy.

Short story...while i was working in Laos I had occasion a number of times to meet various Abbots from the Buddhist Temples in town, including the head Abbot for the entire region. When you meet an Abbot you are required to kneel and touch your forehead to the ground 3 times. Having destroyed my knees many years ago I find it difficult to just get down onto the ground, let alone kneel etc. After the first couple of times this Abbot would just gesture to me that it was okay not to do it and that i could just collapse onto the mat in front of him and sit anyway i found comfortable while we were talking. So the short version is...I can appreciate not having to kneel or sit on the ground for any length of time and am quite happy to stand at the back of any crowd. Being tall this usually isn't a problem in terms of seeing anyway.

I notice you didn't do any of the "thrill" rides. Was this because of the length of the queues or are you smart and avoid those types of rides.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:33 pm

If Disneyland is themed anywhere near as well as DisneySea then I'll be happy.
So the short version is...I can appreciate not having to kneel or sit on the ground for any length of time and am quite happy to stand at the back of any crowd. Being tall this usually isn't a problem in terms of seeing anyway.
I notice you didn't do any of the "thrill" rides. Was this because of the length of the queues or are you smart and avoid those types of rides.
Greg
I loved DisneySea as it's different to other Disney parks around the world, but there's probably more for me at Disneyland.  I love the theming at both - Disney are experts at that!
I'm anything but tall and we were lucky at DisneySea to find standing areas right at a fence behind the Vacation Package seating.
"Thrill" rides are not my thing, bad for my back and neck, also I get some motion sickness especially if my back or neck or playing up.  Cars, buses and trains are generally ok, but the sudden movement, swings, turning and jarring of rides is not good for me - basically the Alice ride at Disneyland (DLR) was a limit for me and even the Snow White ride there can be borderline.  This is why I do the shows, however I realised we missed 2 at DisneySea, Big Band Beat and Out of Shadowland.  Sometimes we didn't want to walk all the way across the park for the right time and other times the lines were just ridiculous a few hours prior to the performance and we just didn't want to miss that much of our day.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:43 am

Oh no - you can't miss Big Band Beat - that's one of the best live Disney shows at any park!  It is a proper live concert with a live big band.  Will you be going back to Disneysea?  Or is your trip almost over.

Thanks for the great Disneyland report - I was following you around in my mind as I was reading it - it is a great park (although way too busy when I went there earlier this year...)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:13 am

Oh no - you can't miss Big Band Beat - that's one of the best live Disney shows at any park!  It is a proper live concert with a live big band.  Will you be going back to Disneysea?  Or is your trip almost over.

Thanks for the great Disneyland report - I was following you around in my mind as I was reading it - it is a great park (although way too busy when I went there earlier this year...)
Oh no!  To be honest I forgot it was a lottery until we got to the theatre and people were handing over tickets, also found out at that point my sister is avoiding the lotteries as she thought we had to check back through the day.  To be honest I wasn't sure how it worked but just googled it so all ready.  Today is our last day however we'll try to fit it in between the Disneyland Christmas parade in the morning and the Christmas night shows - they all started yesterday so we haven't seen them yet but there may be time in between depending what else we do.

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:14 am

Day 9 – DisneySea

Lynelle’s birthday so she chose the park.  Today we caught the Disney Resort Line (monorail) around to DisneySea and were lined up an hour before the early opening.  No characters at the turnstiles this time, however I noticed lots of cast members with signs stating ‘For Safety Please Walk’.  Parkgoers bolted past and only once did I nearly get knocked over.  Entering Mediterranean Plaza we noticed characters and Lynelle managed to get a photo with Jiminy Cricket. Wandering aimlessly we came across Mysterious Island and found Horizon Bay where we had a 10am character ‘lunch’ booked.  Catching the cute train to the American Waterfront we found the runners in line for fast pass tickets to Toy Story Mania.  It was only around 8:45am (early opening 8:15 & full park at 8:30) and the standby line was already at 70mins and the fastpass tickets were being issued for 1:30-2:30pm return.  The fastpass line was massive and wove back down the street quite a few people deep with a cast member dutifully staying at the end of the line with a sign advising what the line was for.

Moving away from the crowds we found a nice little plaza area all decorated for Christmas and a big Christmas tree.  Back through Port Discovery we then strolled through Lost River Delta where it was also decorated with great Christmas decorations and Donald appears to rule even though there’s also meet & greets for Mickey & Minnie (at 45mins), and Goofy (his line was only 15mins and we felt sorry for him).  Over at the Arabian Coast Sinbad’s Storybook Voyage was a relaxing little ride where we experienced our first rain of the trip (inside the ride not outside). 

Finally it was time to return to Horizon Bay for our character meal.  I ordered a pasta soup, chicken and braised beef with rice, and raspberry chocolate mousse cake for dessert.  Mickey, Minnie and Pluto came out when we were at dessert and it was quite organized with staff offering to take photos so we could get photos on our own and together.  Lynelle had Mickey & Minnie sign her bag however Pluto had gone past by the time she thought of it.  Leaving the restaurant very full, we returned towards Arabian Coast.  Along the way Mexican Chip and Dale were being swarmed however Lynelle managed to get a photo with Dale however it wasn’t easy with a cast member encouraging everyone into a line in one area and Dale wandering the other direction!  In Arabian Coast we saw Jafar and Abu.  We headed to Abu who was very playful, so I only got one shot off of him with Lynelle before he headed toward my camera.  I love having seen such different characters wandering around that we don’t have photos with.

Wandering past the Mermaid Lagoon we returned to Mediterranean Harbour where A Perfect Christmas was playing a day early (lucky as most of today’s were cancelled due to light rain). There were about 5-7 stages around the Harbour, it was hard to tell by our position, and the characters moved between the stages.  I was impressed considering it was a hot day and they were dancing around as well as moving the considerable distance between all the stages.  Even the dancers had to be feeling the heat in costumes designed for winter.  All the Christmas music, what a great show!  As we were so close we wandered the Venetian Canals heading for ‘Steps to Shine’ where Stella Lou makes her dream come true of dancing on Broadway. Minnie is a great piano player and Shellie May knows her percussion, while Mickey did some tap dancing.  Part way through the show the characters wandered through the crowd.  Another great show.  After the show we checked out Aunt Peg’s to see all the Duffy merchandise – new to us both, however at least I had some heads-up on the Duffy phenomenon, whereas it was new to my sister.  Exploring the lookouts on the other side of Mediterranean Harbour, Lynelle set off a canon while I took some panoramas of the buildings.

Back at the main shops we checked out the one side before going into the Mira Costa for Lynelle’s second birthday lunch booking, this time at the Bella Vista Lounge.  I couldn’t eat a full meal so ordered a glass of wine and had an ice-cream medley when her dessert came out – wonderful by the way, tasted like good quality handmade ice-cream.  Over lunch we could see A Perfect Christmas being performed again and they played the full sound track in the restaurant so again I could sign along (in my head – well most of the time) to the Christmas music.

After checking out the shops on the other side of the main entrance, we sourced a good spot for Fantasmic.  My sister wandered around while I met the lady standing next to us and her Shellie May who was all dressed in this year’s Christmas outfit.  Although we spoke different languages, she let me take a photo and after point to the buttons and saying Mickey, the owner turned Shellie May around and showed me a Mickey head on the back of the dress – you really don’t need to speak the same language to have a brief conversation.  Next it was my turn to wander around so after trying to get to Mermaid Lagoon I was concerned about the number of people heading back and whether I wouldn’t be able to return to my place for the show.  Then I noticed the lights on the ship were on so I headed to the American Waterfront and took lots of photos in the early evening light with all the lights coming on around the waterfront, the Christmas Plaza and then the boat – but the lights were off.  I did come across Stella Lou’s show and found there was a better viewing location outside the show and the lights in the evening made it look better (plus less squinting into the sun).  After a few more photos I hurried back to our spot and noticed that it was still quiet in our area.

Fantasmic was fantastic.  So many photos, Lynelle videoed again.  Great music, great show.  With the fireworks not on for a while and we weren’t sure they would be at all considering the breeze, we headed to Mermaid Lagoon for a look around and dinner.  King Tritan’s concert was great with Ariel ‘swimming’ through the air above the crowd, playing a few great songs from the movie.  Dinner at Sebastian’s Calypso Kitchen was a sausage pizza and Lynelle had a mango mousse in a Flounder cup – she decided that was her seafood for the day.  Walking around the park at night was super pretty and I tried to take photos wherever I could but you just can’t capture the beauty of all the lights.  Toy Story Mania had the most lights and looked amazing at night (was also easier to photograph due to the many lights).  Returning to the main harbour we found they were also playing the Christmas night light show a day early so we caught the end of it.  More great Christmas music.  Not surprisingly the fireworks were cancelled so we strolled through the shops to get to the exit.

Another great day with wonderful shows and music and more popcorn buckets to look at.

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:20 am

Day 10 – DisneySea

Through the night I woke a few times sneezing and coughing so I was up before the alarm eating and taking cold medication.  Rugged up and ready for the rainy day before us, I put on my Snoopy Christmas ears/headband as I don’t yet have a Minnie Christmas one and I prefer the one in the USA (top of my shopping list for next year’s club trip).  Despite having a slow start to our day, we still made it in time for early admission.

Again we strolled through Galleria Disney and then headed to Mickey and Friends Greeting Trails in Lost River Delta and had a photo with Mickey within minutes of the area opening up.  By the time we came out Minnie’s line was already at 40mins so we lined up for Goofy who again was no-where near as popular.  Poor Goofy.  The cast members only take one photo on your camera however thankfully they were good photos, meanwhile Lynelle happily got autographs on the resort notebook. Back to the Arabian Coast we took photos – with the clouds taking the glare away it was much easier to take photos today so I made the most of it.

Another visit to Mermaid Lagoon for brunch and this time I had the Sebastian dessert and Lynelle had Flounder again, however we swapped cups so we had the dessert and cup we wanted.  More merchandise shops. Even though eventually we’re just seeing the same things, we keep looking as I’m sure I see new things all the time with so much to see! 

Heading through Port Discovery via the pretty Cape Code and through to American Waterfront.  Duffy’s meet and greet line was already at 150mins so we decided we didn’t need to meet him this trip.  Catching the DisneySea Transit Steamer Line was a lovely trip back to Lost River Delta so we checked out Lost River Outfitters as there had been a big line earlier.  There still was and it appeared they had released a clothing line for the little Mickey and Minnie snow figures (possibly for Chip & Dale as well but we couldn’t read the sign).  We then had to walk all the way back to American Waterfront again where I took yet more photos of this lovely area and the Christmas tree and decorations in Waterfront Park.  I wanted to check out Toy Story Mania lines and once again a 70min wait and no more fast passes available and this was still before midday.

Enjoying the New York Street, Lynelle had a sudden craving for a Beer after seeing the fake beer kegs on a wagon in the street.  More shopping and finally I bought some Mickey tongs and chopsticks while considering other items.  After a great gelato, we decided to leave the park for a while and return to the hotel via the Disney Store at Ikspiari and Bon Voyage.  I’m a bad decision maker so needed to see what items I have to buy today at DisneySea and which ones I have time to consider.

After a break in our room where I caught up on my diary (this blog) and Lynelle web searched where to get beer at DisneySea, we headed back for evening photos and events.  On arriving we found Clarice and Marie out for photos however both were heading in so we didn’t try getting any.  Despite cast members leading them away, they still stop and get photos with people.  Clarice was leading a small child by the hand with the parents trying to get photos as they went.

Lynelle found her beer at Barnacle Bill’s and then we went to Cape Cod Cookoff for dinner where I purchased the set meal with the Duffy & friends Christmas lunch bag.  Lynelle had a look at it while I was eating and decided that while she didn’t understand the Duffy phenomenon she did like the bag so she went and purchased the set meal and bag as well.  We wanted to redo Steps to Shine in the evening out of the glaring sunlight of the previous day with lights on the show, so I left my sister guarding us a good location at the fence outside the show while I went and photographed in the good light as lights came on – yes I do this most days.  The show was lovely a second time around and so much better with the lights.  More videos and photos!

Our last slow walk around the park taking it all in.  We did stop at Aquatopia which finally had a reasonable line and decided to give it a try.  At first we watched the boat in front as this helps the brain understand movement so we wouldn’t get any type of motion sickness.  Turns out they all follow a different route though.  Overall it was a fun ride and totally worth doing; the spins were manageable and it wasn’t too jarring, although my back was starting to feel some of the movements at the end.   That said, going back through Arabian Coast we found a different set of stairs we hadn't explored which gave us a higher view point for the flying carpets and at that level we both felt a little queasy watching the carpets go round and up and down.  We continued our stroll and sat in Mermaid Lagoon for a while; very pretty place with lovely music.

We decided to try for the last Big Band Beat as we hadn’t seen it, however realised it was a lottery show when everyone was handing in tickets (I've since read there is a standby only area so should have double checked).  At least we enjoyed everything we did see and it was good to be able to get back to the hotel and relax through the day and not to rush and try to see everything.  Before settling for the night shows, I went to McDucks for 2 little Stella Lou’s to add to my small Easter decorating (original one sitting and the new Christmas version).

Eventually we returned to the Harbour and found a good spot for the night show ‘Colours of Christmas’.  Yet another wonderful light show on a ‘Christmas Tree’ (also the sorcerer’s hat in other night shows) with boats ferrying the characters around.  We really thought the wind was stronger tonight, however the fireworks were finally on!  We saw Starbright Christmas over the Mira Costa.  Hopefully these are on tomorrow night at Disneyland as we feel they’d be even better closer up at the Castle.

Another day ending at the parks and we decided to head back to the hotel as we’re both tired and I am hoping to kick this cold.  New popcorn bucket out today - Mr Potato Head dressed for Christmas.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Great posts Karen. You do seem to manage to fit a lot in and are more of an opportunistic ride goer the same as me.

A general question: How much of an advantage is getting a fast pass if you have to join a long queue in order to bypass a long queue?

Greg 
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:50 pm

Great posts Karen. You do seem to manage to fit a lot in and are more of an opportunistic ride goer the same as me.

A general question: How much of an advantage is getting a fast pass if you have to join a long queue in order to bypass a long queue?
Greg 
Thanks it's been a great trip.  I'll post our last day at Disneyland tomorrow morning, it was a great day but I'm exhausted.  Tomorrow is final shopping, packing and a night flight home.  Over the weekend I'll see if I can post photos on here.
You ask the same question we did!  We don't understand either.

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Day 11 – Disneyland

Another morning that felt like a slow start but we were at the early entry gate well before opening.  Once through I saw Toulouse and headed to him, waiting for others to have their photo.  Berlioz headed over so I quickly cut him off while standing on the other side of Toulouse and my quick thinking sister started taking photos and they both realised so I got both in one photo.  Very happy considering how hard it can be to get any character to notice and stay long enough for a photo.

Straight to the cast members blocking off the Critter Country and Westernland.  Very organised as they go through the crowd checking where you are going and making sure you’re at the right line.  Once the open the area everyone follows their cast member to their designated ride.  Lynelle wanted to do Splash Mountain so I stayed at the bottom and photographed her as she came around.  Apparently this ride felt longer than the ones at DLR and WDW.  Afterwards we did Mickey’s PhilharMagic which was fun to sing along to while trying not to duck with all the objects being thrown at me.

Today I was checking out the popcorn buckets to see if a good Christmas one was out (I’m not actually big on popcorn), however it was just the same Mr Potato Head.  We could always smell the Curry from a distance and were amazed at the line-up for it.  Actually going by all the lines popcorn is big here – I just like the variety of buckets even though I didn’t get one.

We decided against going back to DisneySea for Big Band Beat due to the time we’d lose and it paid off as we got quite a bit done in the morning.  Due to an upcoming Christmas Parade we grabbed fast passes for Pooh’s Honey Hunt as the times being issued suited our day well.  A quick stop in Toon Town so Lynelle could have a Mickey Pizza while I photographed and checked out the popcorn stands (Minnie and Cinderella, both Caramel).  Finding a good place for the Disney Christmas Stories parade – on seats on a corner to make videoing & photographing easier and with the sun behind us so the floats are in sunlight - wasn’t too hard.  Another great parade, however I did notice when the signing was in English some of the Japanese performers weren’t mouthing the correct words (who can blame them).

Afterwards we headed to New Orleans and came across the Minnie Oh Minnie show which had space seats so we quickly took one and enjoyed another fun show.  Donald in one great Latin dancer, when the dancer’s got their hips going, he really shook those tail feathers!  Some more wandering around and it was time for the Happiness is Here parade again. I love the music for this and the floats, as always, are colourful.  We saw this same parade on Monday and there were many more performers between the floats.  Of course still a great parade and I enjoyed seeing it again and signing along. While waiting I grabbed the hot dog lunch set from Refreshment Corner with a Christmas lunch bag.

Slightly distracted by shops and a visit to Snow White’s Grotto before we went on a Honey Hunt with Winnie-the-Pooh.  Great ride which seems to have similar programming to the Aquatopia the way the honey pots move all over the place.  Lynelle wanted to detour via Toon Town for a cream cheese pretzel and we went for a cruise on the Mark Twain Riverboat (writing this I’m starting to see why my back is so sore, we really don’t follow and pattern, just walk all over the place as we need to).  Strolling back through Western and Adventure lands, back in the main plaza everyone was ready for the second showing of the Christmas parade so we took a seat on the balcony of Plaza Ray’s Diner to watch it from a distance and hear the music.  This showing there were very few performers between the floats.  It seems just the first parade of the day is the big one and the next two are smaller.  I still sing along.

Lynelle went to purchase her Tinkerbell jewellery box from the Castle Crystal shop however it was all shut up ready for the evening entertainment.  Quickly heading to New Orleans, thankfully the shop there had one.  While there we watched a cast member engraving a Mickey, Minnie & Pluto crystal block (the square glass blocks with the engraving inside it not on the outside).  Very interesting to watch it come to life.  As the sun set it was clearly time for evening entertainment so we found a seat for the parade which would also give us a view of the early castle light show (Disney Gifts of Christmas).  We also saw the Electrical Parade Dreamlights and then found a better position in front of the castle for Starbright Christmas fireworks followed by the later edition of the Disney Gifts of Christmas.  In between one of us would wander off for food or just to walk and warm up as it was cooler tonight especially standing still for too long.

Many photos and videos later we made the most of our last night, going on Pinocchio’s Daring Journey and then, 10mins before park closure we went to see Mickey’s PhilharMagic again as staff were waving and it seemed a good opportunity to sing along one last time.  By the time we came out (10mins after park closing), Fantasyland was almost deserted.  We joined the people leaving through the castle, many of us stopping for last photos of the World Bazaar and Christmas tree from the Castle entrance.  A last stroll through the shops and toward the gate, with me stopping for a few photos along the way.

What a wonderful four days at Tokyo Disney.  I see why people love it.  They have more character shows here which is great for those of us who don’t do many of the rides.  In case I haven’t mentioned it for a while – I love the shows! I also love how the Japanese embrace their characters and really get into the spirit of whatever park they’re at.  This was a fantastic time of year to come with great weather, blue skies – warm days cool (to cold) nights.  Only one day of rain (well light mist/drizzle) and that was for a few hours on and off.  Last night was the coldest night however walking around or crowds closing in during entertainment kept us going – that said we weren’t really rugged up, light jeans, short sleeved shirt and puffer jacket.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Great Trip report Karen :)  The Japanese parks are quite amazing aren't they.  
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:17 pm

Great Trip report Karen :)  The Japanese parks are quite amazing aren't they.  
Yes, we loved the parks, such a great trip - too short as always though!

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Ok, I'm going to try adding photos.  First some culture with Nara and Shinjuku Gardens.

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Universal Studios

Ernie is an awesome rapper just for the record!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”