Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

DL plus Hawaii

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

DL plus Hawaii

Postby ajp » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:30 am

Well after putting some hard times behind us, we're finally planning another trip. We're centering this one around a 7 night cruise around Hawaii on Norwegian (not DCL which were a little nervous about but can't be helped). Before the cruise we're spending 8 nights in Anaheim - feeling Disneyland homesick big time. We've booked Stovalls Inn so will be able to report on that. It will be around Thanksgiving, but we'll manage the crowds, we're used to peak time crowds. After the cruise we're planning 3 nights at Aulani, just working on balancing that to make it work. Looking forward to it.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: DL plus Hawaii

Postby calisota » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:08 pm

Sounds great and a nice balance between park, resort and cruise. 8 nights in Anaheim should go a long way towards sating that Disney desire. :-)

Does the cruise have many port days or mostly sea days?

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:14 pm

Does the cruise have many port days or mostly sea days?

Greg
Every day is at port, no sea days, there are 2 nights spent in port as well in different locations. We figured this was the best way to briefly see the variety of things Hawaii has to offer, without the expense and wasted time of flights and different accommodations.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:23 pm

The overnights are the best, an opportunity to really see a place but still have your base on board. I'm a bit biased against sea days.

Are you going to do the Hawaiian shirt, red Ferrari and luxuriant mustache thing while you're there?

Greg   

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:10 pm

Are you going to do the Hawaiian shirt, red Ferrari and luxuriant mustache thing while you're there?

Greg   
Naturally! :lol:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Greg   
Naturally!  :lol:
Now I really want to see the photos. 

Greg 

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:10 pm

You'd make a great Magnum Anthony!!!

Great to see you back in a position where trips are on the agenda again - so happy for you guys!!!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:18 pm

Looks like a fantastic trip.  My parents are looking at the same cruise for next year so will be interested in your feedback.  Will you get to Aulani before or after the cruise?

Love how you guys spend 8 nights at Disneyland, our last two trips we only did 4 nights (3 days in the parks) and I always feel like I need more time.  What a fantastic trip all up!
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:04 pm

Sounds wonderful ajp.... can't wait to hear all about it :)  Would LOVE to visit Hawaii one day.  My son and his partner are headed there in May and I'm super jealous.  
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Looks like a fantastic trip.  My parents are looking at the same cruise for next year so will be interested in your feedback.  Will you get to Aulani before or after the cruise?

Love how you guys spend 8 nights at Disneyland, our last two trips we only did 4 nights (3 days in the parks) and I always feel like I need more time.  What a fantastic trip all up!
We're going to Aulani after the cruise. A few days of relaxation and luxury before we come home. We have changed it now to 9 nights because Hawaiian Airlines gets us to LA at 11pm, and we couldn't stand to cut DL by a day lol. We love just chillin at Disneyland, so spending over a week there is easy to do.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:25 pm

Wow, I wonder if LAX is any less insane at that time of night...or more so?
How are you buying your park tickets and will an extra day have much of an impact price wise?
Greg

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:01 am

Wow, I wonder if LAX is any less insane at that time of night...or more so?
How are you buying your park tickets and will an extra day have much of an impact price wise?
Greg
Good question about LAX at night, I'll let you know. I'm hoping it is less insane as I don't want to be there too long before we get to the hotel.  Plus is that we land as domestic passengers having immigrated in Honolulu.
For the park tickets, we have ordered the 10 day pass anyway through our TA and bough it here.  The 10 day pass is well priced comparatively so it was worth an extra few bucks.  With the 10 day pass we have complete flexibility to visit for an hour or a day.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:29 pm

Plus is that we land as domestic passengers having immigrated in Honolulu.
For the park tickets, we have ordered the 10 day pass anyway through our TA and bough it here.  The 10 day pass is well priced comparatively so it was worth an extra few bucks.  With the 10 day pass we have complete flexibility to visit for an hour or a day.
I can only assume that immigration in Hawaii will be much better. just remember to have your phone unlocked so TSA can check your facebook page... :-)
That ticket flexibility is a big plus, much more relaxing not thinking that you have to squeeze everything in and feeling guilty if you don't get full value from your one day ticket.
Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:04 am

LAX was quiet both times we went in at far too early an hour in the morning.  The downside is that depending on the shuttle company, they try to fill them and you can be left standing waiting if it's too quiet.  We ended up just the 2 of us going to Anaheim, however at the end of the trip we had far too long a wait standing on the footpath waiting to go Universal. 

At least with a 10 day pass you can sleep in the first day.  Oh 10 days..... still dreaming about that one.  Plenty of time to re-see all the shows I love, improve my drawing at animation academy, World of Colour again and again, while also having time to rest time back in the room.  One day.
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi everyone, I logged int before xmas to do this and got sidetracked, so here goes.

We're back lol.  Had a great trip (for those of you on FB, you did see some shots).  Disneyland was in it's xmas splendour and as usual, creates all the right emotions.  It was good to finally be home, as we hadn't spent any serious time here since Jan 2010.  We had 7 days at the parks, which was nowhere near long enough.  Went to LegoLand (won't return) and Universal for a day and was disappointed.  I think the east coast version spoils you.  Being there on Thanksgiving was interesting.  The day before was packed to nearly xmas week proportions, however Thanksgiving day was much less busy.  Still busy, but not uncomfortably so.  Something to remember for future reference.  We were a little disappointed with the shopping options.  There was nothing that screamed buy me really, so it was difficult to find that special item.  Plus their pricing across the board has gone excessive.  All that means is for future trips we need to adjust, just wasn't prepared this time around.  Love the new additions, first time we have seen Carsland for example, and I now officially have a new land (until Star Wars of course).  What they did with this land is nothing short of genius.  Every entry day in DCA we spent good time in this land.  The new Guardians changes to ToT work well, we enjoyed it.  Oh, and security has been beefed up to 11 with the check point moved to the entry to DTD near the DL hotel.  Thorough bag checks and scanning gates.  Not as much as Universal who use full airport style bag and body scanning.

The cruise wasn't Disney, so won't spend much time on this except to say that whilst it wasn't Disney Cruise Line standards, they gave it a fair shake.  We enjoyed our cruise immensely.  But the crown jewel of the holiday was our 3 nights (which were about 3 nights short of what we would have liked) at Aulani.  This place is spectacular multiplied by amazing, add incredible and then square the result!  I can't say too much more about it, suffice to say, there will be return trips.  I'll add a review of the restaurants in the appropriate thread, as well as the room and hotel, but OMG!

By the way Greg, LAX is less insane at that time of night, but still insane nonetheless. On a side note, because we focussed our trip around Hawaii, we flew Hawaiian to keep costs down, so that meant a flight to LAX via Honolulu.  It makes for a LONG travel day.  11 hrs to Honolulu, 5 hour wait time, plus a 6 hour flight is not the best option.  Next time we will direct flight to the mainland and then hop over to Hawaii (yes next time.  And we will likely follow most of our mainland trips with an Hawaiian leg).

There's probably more to cover which I have forgotten, or not enough time here at work, so any questions let me know.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”