Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Keith and Della's Shanghai/Tokyo Trip 2017

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Keith and Della's Shanghai/Tokyo Trip 2017

Postby KeithS » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:43 pm

Day 8 – 26 March 2017. Travel – Tokyo – Mt Fuji
Today is another tour day, so once again we were up early to eat breakfast in our room, before meeting Brian and Patti downstairs and heading to the bus terminal in the City. Today we were heading out to Mt Fuji on a tour, however as soon as we woke up this morning, we didn’t have much hope of seeing the mountain. Unlike yesterday which was clear and sunny, today was overcast and drizzling.

After getting to the bus station, it was just a short wait before we were on the way. It is a two hour drive from Tokyo to the Mt Fuji visitors centre and as we headed along the highway, the drizzle continued, but after a while, I noticed that the trees had white on them and it looked to be snowing outside. We continued on and the snow got worse and worse until it was pretty much a blizzard and it was piling up beside the highway.

By the time we got to the visitor centre, everything was white and snow was falling thickly. We went into the visitor centre and discovered that the road up to Fuji was completely blocked with snow and there was no way up there. That didn’t worry us, we’d done this tour before and the snow was something completely new. After the visitor’s centre, we went to our tour lunch place which was pretty amazing. It was themed to a Ninja village which was brilliant. The food was great too as it included curries, tempura and salads. It was traditional dining and the view out of the window of the snow falling was amazing.

After lunch, we hit the road again for the drive to Lake Ashi – once again the snow was falling hard and by the time we got to the lake, the wind had picked up and it was freezing. Luckily we didn’t have to wait long for the boat which takes you along the lake to the base of the Komagatake cable car. There were a lot of people here and we decided to jump on the cable car for the ride up the mountain. In hindsight that wasn’t a good idea and it was snowing at the bottom of the mountain, so by the time we were another 1,300 metres in altitude, it was absolutely freezing and windy. It was so windy, that our cable car was rocking side to side and had trouble docking at the top station, crashing twice into the side of the building before coming to a safe stop. Large icicles were forming on the building at the top of the mountain and snow was building up in piles about a foot high. It was also very slippery up there. We had planned on walking up to the Torii gate, however the wind was too strong so we decided to get back on the cable car and travel back down. We were worried the wind would get too high and the cable would shut and we’d be stuck up there! It all ended well of course and we got safely back down the mountain.
We spent some time in the shops down there before getting on the bus and heading down the mountain to catch the Shinkansen bullet train from Odawara station to Tokyo. When we arrived in Odawara, it was raining and not snowing. We got on the train platform just as our train was approaching. It was very busy on board and we stood as far as Yokohama as we flew along the tracks but we then got seats for the trip to Tokyo. It is always a great experience travelling on Japanese trains. Once in Tokyo, we just transferred to the line back to Maihama and the Disney resort. We managed to get a seat in a Hawaiian burger restaurant in Ikspiari which was sensational. Great burgers. We then bought some items at the grocery store before heading back to the hotel. We bought our Disneyland tickets for tomorrow – so we are going to hit the parks at last!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Great posts Keith!! 

Couple of questions...

Immigration in Shanghai not an issue at all?
Did you happen to notice if the public transportation in Shanghai (train in particular) was signed in English at all?
How many days would you suggest for the Shanghai park? 
How many bags will you be bringing back with all this shopping? :-)

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:08 pm

I'm seeing news reports about a deadly avalanche not too far from Tokyo. Was this near where you were?

Greg

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 pm

Oh wow... I've just done a big catch up and love the thorough report :)  Shanghai sounds amazing.  Can't wait to see photos.  
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:12 am

Hi everyone.

No the avalanche was north of here and we were west. The big snow was very unseasonal though; the locals could not believe it for late March.

Shanghai was terrific, none of the pushing and bad behaviour we'd expected (maybe one or two minor incidents but nothing worth mentioning and no where near as bad as the US!).

English was not a problem in Shanghai, dual signage everywhere and most young people speak it better than the Japanese young people. Taxi drivers though struggle because they grew up not learning it.

The Shanghai park weren't busy on day one so it was easy to get stuff done. But you would want two days if crowds were higher and you had to use fastpass.

Immigration were fine and efficient as long as you have the right visa. Getting out of the country was slower but still good.

Happy to answer more questions if you have them.
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:45 pm

Happy to answer more questions if you have them.
What shares should I buy to guarantee I double my money in the next 2 months?

Was there the same variety of "cart food" in Shanghai as there is in Hong Kong eg. squid and fish balls?

What is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?

Are there enough attractions in Shanghai to keep someone like me, who doesn't do the bigger rides, amused?

What is this growth on my arm that keeps getting bigger?

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:38 am

You're a strange man sometimes...LOL

We did see seafood churros in Shanghai. There weren't a lot of outdoor vending carts though as that is not what the chinese like. They prefer to sit inside and eat as a family.

Are there enough smaller attractions? The only big scary one is Tron so I'd say yes. You are afraid of Pirates, Soarin or rapids rides are you?
Keith

Trip history:

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks Keith, still keen to hear the meaning of life, but liking all the other updates.  My sister is planning a trip to Japan in November for almost 2wks (4.5 days at the parks, rest seeing the cities), so depending how well I save to whether I join her.  Looking forward to your updates and photos of the parks there and your report at the next meeting - good incentive for me to save.
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:33 pm

Duffy's new friend StellaLou was released in Disneysea today so we went there this morning and bought her. She is a super-cute bunny and the Japanese (and Della) are going crazy for her. She'll make her DUD Club debut on the 8th April!
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:29 pm

You're a strange man sometimes...LOL
Only sometimes? Challenge accepted!!
I don't mind the Pirates ride and loved Soarin' so that's all good news.
Greg

Lauren05
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Lauren05 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Yay, can't wait to see Stella Lou. I've been stalking the Internet for pictures of the new merchandise.
Your trip sounds amazing so far. Im very jealous and trying to work out how to get there this year
Trip History:
DLR: 1997, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2018 (April & October), 2019
WDW: 2007, 2014
DLRP: 2003, 2016
HKDL: 2011
TDR: 2012
DCL: 2012 (Wonder), 2014 (Panama Canal - Wonder), 2018 (Magic), 2019 (Wonder)

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:40 am

Oh my... I'm obsessed with Stella Lou as well... I was talking to the guy who writes Tokyo Disneyland Resort Explorers website about her and he was saying how the photos don't do her justice... my next trip to Japan is going to be an expensive one because I don't have Gelatoni yet either... and I won't be leaving without both ... and outfits. Its a wonder you didn't see him... he was there on launch day as well.  I just can't wait till they have collectible plates and stuff to go with the food for Stella Lou as well.  I will need those too.  
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:24 pm

We have Gelatoni too.

We also have a collectable cup and lunch bag featuring StellaLou - that is all the merchandise that's been released for her so far.  The motherlode of SL merchandise comes out on 10 April, but we'll have left by then.
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:21 pm

Day 9 – 27 March 2017. Tokyo Disneyland
We awoke this morning to the sound of rain hitting our hotel windows – not a good thing considering we were planning on going to Disneyland today!  Looking out the window, the rain was falling sideways! We headed downstairs for breakfast with Brian and Patti in the hotel and planned our day.

After breakfast we got ready for our day and headed over to Disneyland.  It was still pouring rain so when we got through the gates, we headed firstly to the Emporium and had a good look around. The place was packed! It seems everyone who was at the park had packed into the shops.  We checked out all the merchandise and then decided we had better check out the wait times…oops…things were already out of control. Fastpass for Monsters Hide and Go Seek were already gone (wait time 150 minutes) but Pooh was still available.  We ran up to the Pooh ride and got a fastpass for 8:55pm!

Every other ride in the park had long waits, and so we decided to go back to the shops for a look again.  It was very cold and windy – 4 degrees with a minus 8 wind chill and very wet.  We thought we could get into a quick service restaurant for a hot drink, but the lines for those were out the door too – when we tried the coffee shop, they offered us a time of 3:15pm to get in and it was only 11am! It was totally crazy, so we headed out of the park to go look at the Disneyland Hotel.

While we were there, we took photos of the place and had a good look around and dried off before heading over to Ikspiari and the Ambassador Hotel.  At the Ambassador, we stopped for lunch at one of their food places which was warm.  The food was good and by the time we got out of there, the sky was clearing up.  We decided to head back to the park and with the better weather, the crowd dispersed better throughout the park, so the lines and restaurants eased a lot.

We headed up to Aunt Sara’s Kitchen near Splash Mountain for hot chocolates, before walking over to the Westernland Railway and taking the train ride which was fun. We then headed back to World Bazaar to get some gifts before going back outside to watch Dreamlights.  We found a brilliant spot with an uninterrupted view of this amazing parade.  Although Della and I had seen it before, nearly all the floats were new – they just keep making bigger and better floats for this parade!

After the parade, we headed up to the Queen of Hearts restaurant in Fantasyland and walked right in to get dinner.  We love the theming in this restaurant – so many little details.  We had a great dinner and bought the collectible dessert cup and plate which were very nice. Straight after dinner, our fastpass for Pooh became available so we headed over there and got straight on.  We had a terrific ride and really love this attraction.  Brian and Patti had never seen anything like it before.

After we got off, we headed through Tomorrowland and saw Star Tours was only a 5 minute wait.  We got on and managed to get the front row – that was a first for any of us in the new version of Star Tours.  And even funnier – I was the Rebel spy – Yay!  It was a new flight sequence for us too – neither Brian nor myself had seen the scenes we went through tonight, so that was good.

We got off Star Tours then headed to Monsters Hide and Go Seek – and it was only 30 minutes standby, so we got on the line, but it only took about 15 minutes as the park closed and there were no more fastpass people slowing the queue.  This was much better than I last remembered it too.  When we got off the ride, the park had closed and we were some of the last people to leave.  We headed to the monorail for the trip back to the hotel.  It was a tough start to the day, but in the end we did what we wanted to do – Pooh, Monsters and the Electrical Parade.  We also ticked off the hotels so that was great too. Tomorrow we are going to Disneysea and It is also Patti’s birthday so we should have a fun day!
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:54 pm

Day 10 – 28 March 2017. Tokyo Disneysea
What a contrast from yesterday – we opened the blinds to see clear sunny skies – not a cloud in sight!  It was a perfect start for Patti’s birthday and their first trip to Disneysea.  After breakfast, we all caught the monorail together to the park.  As soon as we were through the gates, I grabbed everyone’s tickets and ran to Journey to get us all Fastpasses.  As I got close to the ride, I hit a giant crowd – it was the fastpass line LOL.  Not worries though – by the time I got the tickets, the fast pass return time was only 1:00pm.  I then headed back to Mediterranean Harbour to catch up with the others who were busy photographing the park.

When I caught up with them, we headed straight over to the gondolas for a ride as the queue was only 15 minutes.  It is a great photo opportunity as you get some unique angles.  It is also funny listening to the Japanese gondoliers speaking Italian.  After that, we walked through the American Waterfront area towards Toy Story Mania which is themed to the 1920s boardwalk and fits quite well into that area of the park.  No lining up though, it was a 200 minute wait.  We also went on the SS Columbia for a look around before heading over to Cape Cod – Duffy’s home.

At Cape Cod, we entered Aunt Peg’s place to purchase Gelatoni.  We had previously purchased our Duffy and ShellieMay in this store, so it seemed natural that we’d also get Gelatoni there. Once again, this shop was an awesome experience as we battled the locals getting their Duffy-branded merchandise.  We got Gelatoni and some outfits, as well as other Duffy stuff. It was an eye-opener for Brian and Patti who had never seen such devotion to Duffy from their US experience.

After Cape Cod, we walked up to Aquatopia and saw the construction for the new Nemo ride that is taking over from Stormrider. It isn’t open yet and there was a lot of work going on in the queue area for it.  It doesn’t look ready for soft openings yet, so I don’t think we’ll be riding it before we leave.  It opens in May.

We headed back to the Mediterranean Harbour and Brian got in line for popcorn while Della and Patti bought hats in the shops.  We all then went up to Mysterious Island area to take photos before heading into the Mermaid Lagoon. Once again this area is an eye opener for first timers – it is just a magical space to visit.  Our FP for Journey was now due, so we headed back there and entered the fastpass line.  That worked beautifully and we were straight on the elevator heading to the loading area.  I still love this ride, even after going on the amazing Pirates in Shanghai, I still think this ride is smarter.  There are no video screen tricks – it is all practical sets and animatronics, coupled with great audio, story and excitement. It blew our US friends away.

Next up, we headed to 20,000 Leagues under the Sea for a fastpass before walking the the Arabian coast area and riding Sindbad.  I love the Sindbad ride too – great music and animatronics; sure it looks like Small World but that is an unfair comparison as it is a very different beast and definitely worthy of multiple rides.

After Sindbad, we were due to meet with our Japanese friends, Tetsuya and Yukari whom we always catch up with in Tokyo.  They came to the park at 3pm, so I went to the American Waterfront to meet them and escorted them up to Vulcania where the others were eating.  Tetsuya and Yukari hadn’t eaten either so we all sat together for late lunch.  It was fun to catch up with them and exchange presents. While we were talking, Yukari mentioned that Duffy’s new friend “StellaLou” was being released on Thursday this week!  I knew straight away that we’d be going to Disneysea that day…

Tetsuya escorted us around the Fortress Explorations and also got us into Magellan’s Restaurant for a look.  We then headed up to Lost River Delta where we caught the ferry back to Mediterranean Harbour.  We had a quick look through the Miracosta before heading back into the park.  Tetsuya arranged for us to get a booking at the Il Canneleto restaurant for dinner.  We had a magnificent four course dinner that took us right up to park closing.  It was a fun night of making new friends and sharing good stories.
Keith

Trip history:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”