Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

2018 Club Trip

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: 2018 Club Trip

Postby KeithS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Day 15 – Saturday 13 October 2018. Disney Wonder – At Sea
Today is our last full day on the Wonder and while I was getting ready for a big day – Della said she was heading out the door to get a photo with Captain America!  I said that was fine, so I had a shower and got dressed while she was out.  When she got back, she told me the photographer Chante was asking where I was this morning as we were always together.  We headed off the breakfast next at Cabana’s and sat at the table with Elissa, Judy and the other girls. Wayne joined us briefly and handed me a copy of the Mickey Mouse 90th birthday Life Magazine special issue before heading off elsewhere.

Della and I and the girls then headed as a group towards Preludes where we got a character photo with Jake from Disney Junior.  Then it was back to the Atrium for a Spiderman photo, then back to Preludes for Princess Sophia and Doc McStuffins.

One of our favourite cruise line events was next – Jack Jack’s Diaper Dash, where, as the cruise director says, “We race babies for your pleasure”.  It is a hilarious event where crawling babies race down a track being lured by their parents with toys, food and iphones! It had a big audience and is funny to see in person.

Next up, I decided to put some shopping and my camera in our room while Della went to the character dance party.  While I was away, I also went for a walk around the deck 4 walking track because I didn’t know if I’d get a chance otherwise – it is a good way to see some of the ship’s workings like the anchor motors.  After my walk, I returned to the character dance party to watch the characters dancing with the guests which is always fun.

After the party, we headed up to deck 9 for lunch before returning to our room to pack. We had all our bags open on the floor of our stateroom and were enjoying the breeze through the open balcony door when all of a sudden, the ship’s alarm went off!  Six short horn blasts followed by one long one!  At the same time, the alarm was sounding in our stateroom.  I went on the balcony to have a look and we were sailing fine.  I opened the door to the hallway and all the emergency lighting was on.  There were a few guests standing in the hall and they were heading to their staterooms to await further information.  I said to Della I’m going to the bathroom in case we had to go to our muster point.  She decided to go to, and when she was in there, crew members told us to get our life jackets and warm clothing on, and head to muster!  I said to Della we had to go and she was yelling at me not to go without her!  I got the life jackets out thinking this was awesome, but then the captain came on the speaker to say it was a false alarm and nothing was wrong!  So I packed the life jackets away and we got back to packing – it was an interesting 10 minutes and we heard later there were a few complaints at guest services about how long it took to issue the retraction.

Once we were packed, we headed out for one more character photo – Minnie in her cruise line costume.  We always do the final day Bingo jackpot as well, so we headed to Azure and played the must-win jackpot. Unfortunately we didn’t win, but four people split the $7400 jackpot so they were happy!

After Bingo – it was time for Showtime in the Walt Disney Theatre, and tonight, it was Frozen!  It is similar I guess to the DCA version and in many ways, it is actually better – it doesn’t have the big staging of the DCA one but some sequences were actually better produced.  Both are good but I think I preferred the Wonder!

After the show, we headed to the D-Lounge to see magician Shawn Farquhar’s close up magic show.  Just like last night, we were completely blown away.  I have no idea how he did any of it!  The show finished a bit late, so we ran to our room to put our suitcases out then headed to Triton’s for dinner.  We wanted to eat as fast as we could so we can get to the See Y’all Soon Party (the farewell party).  It used to be a song and dance thing, but now it is a character meet and greet followed by the farewell which was still great.  After the party, our entire Australian group got together for some group photos in front of the Halloween tree and the staircase before we all said goodnight.  Della and I did a big walk around the ship and it was deserted as most people had gone to bed early for the early start tomorrow.  After our walk, we headed back to our room and headed to bed. Tomorrow, we disembark and drive to Solvang.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:01 pm

Day 16 – Sunday 14 October 2018. Disney Wonder – San Diego to Solvang
Today is disembarkation day – we arrived in San Diego in the early morning and tied up at the same pier as our departure day.  The first thing we did after dressing was head up to Shutters to pick our photo USB up.  We also ran into our stateroom host and handed over his gratuity.  We then headed down to the hallway where Triton’s restaurant was located and waited outside until 8.30am which was our allotted breakfast time.  We chatted with the rest of our group as they made their way there.

We went into Triton’s for breakfast and had our last meal on the ship with our group and our servers. It gave us the opportunity to thank them and provide them with their gratuity too.  Soon enough, it was time for us to leave the ship and commence the next portion of our adventure.

We left the ship just after 9.30am, headed to the baggage pick up, then had a quick walk through US Customs – next thing we know, we are outside and waiting for a taxi with Wayne and Jennifer.  They got one first (heading to the Amtrak) and we got one to the Grand Hyatt where the Hertz hire car desk was.  After some bother with the hire car (sorted in the end), we got into the car and hit the highway.  We only made one stop at Agoura Hills McDonalds on the way up – which was about 100 miles south of Solvang.  When we finally got here, we checked into the hotel before heading down the street to get some dinner.  It was late Sunday afternoon so most shops were closed, but the restaurants were open for dinner.  After dinner, we came straight back to the room to repack for the flight home and watch Harry Potter on TV.

Tomorrow, we are heading to Half Moon Bay after spending the morning shopping here.
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:02 pm

Day 17 – Monday 15 October 2018. Solvang
Today is a beautiful cloud free sunny day and we got up early so that we could go to the shops before hitting the road up towards San Francisco.  After getting dressed, we headed to breakfast in the hotel.  While we were sitting there, we realised that we would be pushed for time as the drive this afternoon would take 5 or 6 hours and the shops here don’t open until 10am.  That limited the shopping time we would have today.  With it being such a nice day, I suggested we stay here another night and Della was happy with that.  I went to the front desk and asked about availability and they said we could stay in the room tonight.  That sorted, I rang our other hotel and told them we’d be a day late.  Now we can shop all day and then head up to San Francisco first thing in the morning.

So we headed out of the hotel and then proceeded to visit every store in Solvang – I won’t go into detail – suffice to say that Solvang is a bit like Hahndorf in South Australia with lots of quirky stores.  The town is themed to Denmark (I say themed but it was actually established by ex-pat Danes and was built around 1911 – so it isn’t a new town).  The stores are fun – especially for Della who loves to shop and had been looking forward to coming here for a long time – we last visited in 2012.

Suffice to say we bought quite a bit, stopping only for giant chocolate eclairs, hot chocolates and milk shakes.  One of the highlights was the Thomas Kinkade gallery – they had lots of his paintings, including his Disney ones, as well as calendars, jig saws, postcards etc.  We also had dinner in a Danish bar and the food was great.  We headed back to the hotel after dinner and started packing again.  It was a good fun day and better than trying to squeeze it in to a couple of hours before a six hour drive.  So tomorrow we’ll be heading off early to San Francisco – hopefully we’ll be there around 3 or 4 pm tomorrow.
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Day 18 – Tuesday 16 October 2018. Solvang and Road Trip to Half Moon Bay
It is another road trip day and our final full day of our Down Under Disneyana Club Trip! We got up early and had breakfast in our hotel and then completed packing of yesterday’s loot.  We packed our suitcases into the back of our hire car and then hit the 101 freeway heading north.

I won’t bore you with travel details – it was a 5 hour drive up the highway via Pismo Beach, Salinas, Cupertino and ending in Half Moon Bay.  When we got here, we checked into the hotel, then went for a walk down Main Street – it is a very quiet town this week, but last week was its pumpkin festival and there were pumpkins everywhere in the street and shop fronts.

After our walk around, we went to the restaurant under our hotel to see if they were open for dinner tonight – the restaurant was empty but the girl said they’d be open so we said we’d be back.  We came up to the room and spent an hour charging phones, ipods, and laptop for the flight home tomorrow.  Then around 6:30 we headed back to the restaurant to find that it was packed!  We were able to sit at the bar however and just ordered dinner there – it was a good atmosphere and the food was terrific.  I had mushroom risotto and Della had the lasagne.

After dinner, we headed back to the room to watch TV and write up my journal.  Tomorrow we are going to do some Disney Store and Hallmark shopping, before heading to the airport tomorrow evening and flying home.  It has been a great trip with lots of memorable moments from Disneyland, the bus trip, and the Disney Cruise! I’ll do a final update when we get back to Sydney!
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:03 pm

I don't think I've ever heard of Solvang, I'll have to look it up because it sounds interesting. 

Do you have a photo of your luggage pre leaving Australia and pre leaving the US...just as a comparison?

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:52 pm

We are back! Of course we had to be diverted to Brisbane because of Sydney fog today but we are home now. I have next week off so I might get the chance to upload some photos then.
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:04 pm

We are back! Of course we had to be diverted to Brisbane because of Sydney fog today but we are home now.  I have next week off so I might get the chance to upload some photos then.
Wow, Brisbane, a bit of a letdown after the US. :-)

Looking forward to the photos.

Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:18 pm

Greg
You've no idea!!!!! :(  I think this is the worst post-holiday blues I've had.
I'll catch up on all of Keith's blogs and add a little myself, however fortunately the hard work has been done by Keith already.  Should pick me up reading and remembering fun times.
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Greg
You've no idea!!!!! :(  I think this is the worst post-holiday blues I've had.
I'll catch up on all of Keith's blogs and add a little myself, however fortunately the hard work has been done by Keith already.  Should pick me up reading and remembering fun times.
I'm interested to read someone else's take on the trip just to make sure there were things to see other than only Princesses. :-)

Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:04 pm

I'm interested to read someone else's take on the trip just to make sure there were things to see other than only Princesses. :-

Greg
There's more than Princesses?  Say what..... it's all about the Princesses!  Just kidding, even Disneyland had a Pixar Parade that didn't even have Mickey and Minnie in it, let alone Princesses.
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Not a recap yet, I'll hopefully put something together this weekend while I can still remember I even had a holiday :wink:

I’d really like to thank everyone who let me intrude on your days.  I spent a bit of time on my own and saw and did what I wanted but also really enjoyed being able to wander with others and follow, just enjoying the company and whatever we did.  Usually I’m so caught up I don’t eat enough so it was great to actually sit and try some different restaurants.

Rebecca and Brad, with kids Charlotte and Audrey were very generous with their time and I loved being able to go through Disney parks with little kids.  4yr old Charlotte enjoyed taking me into the Haunted Mansion for the first time and pointed everything out to me.  Even rides I had done before she would excitedly point things out which, for someone who doesn’t have kids, provided a little more fun for me.  As kids need to eat and don’t just keep going, I actually had the opportunity to eat at different places taking the time to sit and enjoy meals which was a nice change for me.  Kids are always willing to share desserts so I didn’t have to finish them on my own.  Cookies and cream waffle fries – so wrong but yummy.  They were the unfortunate ones to have me on my last afternoon when the depression of leaving was hitting so I wasn’t the greatest company (sorry guys).  

Keith and Della introduced to a few rides it turns out I can do – Tea cups (as long as they aren’t spun), Luigi’s, Buzz Astro Blasters and Toy Story Mania.  I’m not sure why I assume if it’s inside a building and there’s a huge line, then it’s probably a roller coaster type ride.  I am ready to work on improving my scores in Buzz and Toy Story.  One ride I’m glad I tried but would be cautious when I do it again is Radiator Racers.  The ups and downs weren’t great on my stomach, but the sets throughout were fantastic so I’m glad I did it at least once.  On a night when the crowds were doing my head in and I was tossing up between leaving or (I admit it) finding alcohol to calm the nerves, it was great to receive a message from Keith and meet up.  I still got my wine and had a great night relaxing with great people at the Wine Trattoria were we could just see Paint the Night go past, such a wonderful way to end the day.

Wayne and Jennifer let me tag along at the Halloween Party and Wayne was great by organising meet-ups most days in DL so people like me (ok just me), could meet with anyone else happy to have a tag-along for a while.  While I'm thanking Wayne - thanks for all the fantastic organising you did for this trip!

I ran into different people throughout the trip and appreciate people letting me join them for a chat, a meal or quite a few hours.  I’m pretty sure I’ve come away with a variety of people in my photos so it won’t be an album full of just me in front of things or with characters; it’ll be an album full of fun with friends. Thanks to everyone on the trip, for making it so great.
Last edited by DisneyKaren on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:32 pm

As someone who usually does these places on my own i can really appreciate what you mean about the times when there is someone else to share it with. 

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks for the kind words Karen - we were glad to introduce you to some new experiences in the parks :)  We had a great time hanging out with you!
Keith

Trip history:

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:43 pm

As someone who usually does these places on my own i can really appreciate what you mean about the times when there is someone else to share it with. 

Greg
That's actually why I didn't visit a Disney park between 2001 in Paris to 2014 in DL.  I didn't think it would be fun on my own.  Now that I've done a day in WDW and at least a day plus parts of a few days on this trip, I actually think I could do a park on my own.  It's just nights when the crowds are higher that I struggle, whereas when I have company I don't notice the crowds quite so much.

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:45 pm

Recap (Fri-Sun) - better late than never!  With busy weekends since I’ve returned, I’ve used Keith’s blog and my photos to remind me of the order.  It’s a bit of a blur at this stage I will admit.

I arrived in Anaheim on Friday afternoon and as I had washing to do and a big week ahead I only went to the parks briefly, I just wanted to walk through both and get that great feeling that I was at Disneyland.  While walking through I did start the hunt for the Coco Ears, a hunt which took a few days in the end, however I did see the Coco display in DL before watching the Pixar Play Parade from Main St Station and loved it!  Seeing both Up and Inside Out getting a place in a parade was fantastic.

In DCA I was excited to see the new Pixar Pier so headed straight there to stroll through, but avoided the shops at this time.  At Paradise Gardens I loved the Coco display and the activities for kids.  I did come home with a few Remember Me cards for friends’ kids who have lost their grandparents in the last year and a couple of masks for kids to colour in.  A little disappointed at the low level of merch for Coco considering the huge area they’d set aside; actually Pixar merch in general.  I’m not sure what I would have wanted, it’s probably just the thought of it rather than something specific. Walking past The Little Mermaid the line was short so I couldn’t resist and enjoyed singing along with Ariel and friends. Grabbing a hot dog and BBQ crunch fries at Award Wiener, I suddenly realised that one short trip to Tokyo Disney and I’d already forgotten that in the US I need to order the kids meal.

Heading back to the hotel for the reality of washing, I saw the insanely long lines to get in; no doubt largely Halloween party guests.  Glad I was going out and not in.

Saturday morning all the character lines were already full and closed off so I strolled, looking around alertly for cast members who looked like a character should be with them and walked up to chat, made it easier being one of the first few in line for Donald and Minnie in their DL Halloween outfits, then also met Queen of Hearts. She was a lot of fun and really played up providing some funny photos.  Meeting up with BRCA (Brad, Rebecca, Charlotte & Audrey – sorry too much typing) we had some Halloween treats at Jolly Holiday and enjoyed DL for the morning.  Lining up for the Carousel, we were fortunate to see Belle and Beast come over, stopping to get photos with little girls dressed at Belle, before they jumped on the Carousel with us! 

Rebecca & Brad wanted some artwork by Jerrod Maruyama who was at Downtown Disney doing a signing.  I purchased a few postcards as unfortunately I don’t have wall space for large pieces.  Thankfully the line to meet him was in the shade and I did feel a little sorry for the other artists considering the majority of the line was for him.  So glad I went along.

Back in DL I did Haunted Mansion for the first time with BRCA – I don’t know why my sister and I assumed it was a typical fast dark ride, however now I know better there’s another ride I can add to my list each visit.  With the kids off for their afternoon rest, I just had to go check out the Pixar Play Parade again, back at the Station which is now my favourite place as it’s less crowded, plus has great views to the passing floats and dancers.  Apologising to someone as I moved my bag so they could sit, I realised it was Jan and Les so we enjoyed the parade together.

Later I headed to DCA (I’ve never switched parks as much as I did this trip), met with BRCA and this time checked out the shops at Pixar Pier.  We enjoyed the construction fences taking photos along with way, before eating at Paradise Gardens listening to the Mariachi Band playing.

This night I headed back to DL for the fireworks at the castle and then quickly moved with the crowd over to Fantasmic.  Both great shows.  The castle show seemed similar to one I’ve seen before and will need to look back at photos, I think it was January 2017 at DL but could be TDL.  Either way, I loved it.  Fantasmic hadn’t been on during my trips to DLR in 2014 and 2017, so it was great to see it this trip.

Sunday morning, after getting a FP for Fantasmic, I spent some time on my own in DL doing Small World when it was so quiet I had a boat to myself, also did a few Fantasyland rides, then overhearing part of a conversation which indicated characters were on their way, I quickly stayed with the family talking to the cast member and ended up second to meet Jasmine and Aladdin.  Feeling tired, I caught the horse-drawn carriage back to the entrance.  With a little time on my hands before meeting the group for lunch I decided to the take the train all the way around.  I couldn’t resist at Toon Town jumping off – I don’t understand how only 2 parks have Toon Town, I love this area.  Wayne had mentioned you could see the towers of Star Wars land from the top of Chip & Dale’s tree house so I climbed up to have a look.  Then of course I was back catching one of the vehicles to top of Main Street again.  A fun trip down Main Street following the band with our driver beeping his horn in time with the drummers which was a lot of fun especially as the drummers would turn occasionally with big smiles on their faces having a bit of a laugh with us. 

Sunday lunch was great (as covered by Keith) and then I spent the afternoon with him, Della and their friends Brian and Patti.  Cars Land in Halloween – what a treat!  It was great to walk around with other people as we’d each point out different things and we realised how much we didn’t see with the many little things Disney do to set the scene.  Luigi’s Honkin’ Haul-o-ween was fun, actually just walking the line and seeing all the little details was great!

Afterwards we all had our own plans so I headed back to DL early for Fantasmic and caught the late Pixar Play Parade (why not).  Met BRCA for Fantasmic and I will say the seating wasn’t as good as the previous night when I arrived late after the fireworks, but it’s a great show so was glad I went again.  Afterwards I headed on my own to squish into the crowds on Main Street and watch the Castle show.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”