Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Germany, DISNEYLAND PARIS, London, oh my!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Germany, DISNEYLAND PARIS, London, oh my!

Postby churros » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:20 am

Let the Disney side of your trip report begin

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:08 pm

LOL... I have spent a lot of time today trying to sort out stuff, but will try and get a shot or two of the Disney loot and add it to the post. -/

Ok, my thoughts on the park....

Well, it was super cold and it rained two and a half of our 3 and half days, so I didn't take NEARLY as many photos as I intended. I did get some great shots the first day though so will add them in in the next day or two. Overall, I would not consider going in winter a great idea, only because when its cold its FREEEZING and its hard to enjoy a ride when you have to stow a wet umbrella, sit on a wet seat when getting dry is an issue, and snow wrecks cameras. We enjoyed the park, but it would have been so much more fun without the worry of being wet and cold all day. All the turnstiles are designed for skinny Europeans and when I walked through them I got so wet because of the fact that even turned sideways I got to dry off each side with my body. ( despite having dropped 13 kgs before hitting the park)

Disneyland Park-

Going through the turnstiles it was hard to contain the excitement... and yes, within a few steps, we'd both broken into song along with the Disney music that greeted us.

We started out getting our annual pass ( which was the same price as a 4 day pass) and then headed into the park to enjoy. This was our only rain/snow free day in the parks and we knew what weather was coming so we stayed in the park till we were kicked out at almost 8pm ( it closed at 7pm ). We decided to do Fantasyland first, and after a lucky discovery got into the line early for Gepetto and Pinocchio. From there we went to line up to meet the princesses - or so we thought - but an hour and a bit later we met only one ( Sleeping Beauty) and got ushered out the door... we were not happy. Had we realised you were only allowed to meet one - and didn't get to choose - we'd have given the whole thing a miss. Anyhoo, we went straight to small world next door and rode it twice as it was a walk on so we could photograph it from both sides of the boat.
From there, we rode the T cups as a walk on, the carousel as a walk on and then lined up for Dumbo ( 15 min wait). Not sure what happened, but suspect someone else decided to split up and sit separately and so Millie missed out on a Dumbo and so I got out of the ride and waited to ride with her... having to wait for two rounds was a little annoying given that it wasn't our fault ( we'd said we wanted to ride single) but anyhoo, when we finally got onto two dumbo's and took off over the empty waterless moat showing all the cables and such, Millie discovered her dumbo was broken and wouldn't go up and down... so she was not a happy camper by this time. From there we wandered the Alice in Wonderland maze and this was a hoot... we loved it. We spent a lot of time here and regularly came out with movie quotes as we discovered things.
From here we headed to the Castle and did the walk through and then down into the dungeon.... I was SO pleased I'd made an effort to not look at photos of the dragon before visiting because it was one of the highlights of our trip to the park overall. We stood there and took photos for a good half hour and loved the whole idea. Totally needs a dragon in every park.

Lunch was at the Marionette cafe ( pinocchio themed) as not a single food van was open anywhere in either park and this was our only option in the area we were in. This was the case the whole 4 days... which if you were hoping to snack around the park rather than have to go to a restaurant, which we were, was a blow to our finances. None the less, the food was good and we used our AP to get it a bit cheaper so we were happy. From here we decided to go see Mickey ( forgetting about the imminent parade) next door. We did meet Mickey, and I'm not sure if other adult devotees have the same experience, but I always seem to be rushed through in favour of the 3 year olds... and it was much more pronounced in the Paris parks. We always seemed to be allowed a single photo and pushed out the door - sometimes physically.
We came out the door to see the very last float of the parade and wave at Mickey and Minnie again.
From there we decided to go ride Buzz and it was a walk on ( thanks to the parade) and I got the highest score I've ever gotten - still not that flash, but I was happy.
We had intended doing a few other things but when we came out into darkness we took some night shots of the castle and ended up staying at the rope a few rows back for the Dreams light show ... we still had almost an hour to wait, but we're glad we did, as we got some great shots from our vantage point and despite the crush, enjoyed it immensely. Its very much like a smaller version of World of Colour, with the projections all being shown on the actual castle. The castle became many different things in the course of the show, and my fav was when it suddenly became the Notre Dame Cathedral with Quasimodo swinging from the top tier. The Beauty and the Beast and Rapunzel segments were also exceptional. I sang every single song throughout - much to the annoyance of the blokes next to me, but I didn't care.
By this time it was so cold, and it was just on 8pm so we headed to Disney Village for dinner and some shopping ( the Village was open till 10)
Huge day and we really enjoyed the bulk of it.
Winter in this park was a little disappointing only because much of the 'extra's that make Disney fun were not operating. Shows that had shown the week before were not on, and many area's need a bit of TLC in the maintenance dept. I was surprised by the general 'genial' responses by the staff - it might be that I'd spent time in Paris before hand and was accustomed to the short, curt responses, but I didn't come across too many that needed a serious dose of Disney ( although the other park was another matter). Only two rides/attractions were open in the whole of Discovery Land. Only Buzz and Star Tours were going.

Merchandise: so we had no problems spending our money on souvies, and I am a new but avid Tsum Tsum collector now. One can not only purchase one... I had to buy 5 so I could stack them. I would have liked to have bought the 3 little pigs/wolf set or the snow white and dwarfs set but it was going well into the 'too exy' territory.
We were blown away by the interesting and different fluffies available - we bought a super soft Lucifer ( the cat from Cinderella) and Experiment 628 ( Leroy) and now wished we'd bought the Angel fluffy too ( Stitch's girl)... I also bought a smaller Duffy in a Paris T shirt and carry bag. Millie got the most gorgeous Copper and Todd from her fav movie (Fox and the Hound) and a Marie fluffy too.
We both bought heaps of pins, pens and magnets, cute note books and a couple of bickie tins.

Stay tuned for the next installment. :wink:
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:22 pm

Wow - brilliant first instalment. Now that was a proper trip report!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:31 pm

-/

Next

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:51 pm

Day 2 - Walt Disney Studios -

So the next day we'd decided to spend in Walt Disney Studios and lining up at the bus stop gave us a taste of what the day was going to be like. It was pouring and we had the only shelter ( in a doorway) while we waited for the bus.
Arriving at the village in a break in the weather, we made a b-line for the turnstiles, snapped a few quick photos with the statues at the gate and turned right heading for Ratatouille. On the way there Millie spied the giant Buzz entrance to Toy Story Land so that was a quick photo op and then straight to the FP area to make sure our ride wasn't just before closing ( given that this park closed at 6pm in the Winter). We got our FP's for just after lunch and decided to ride straight away just the same and on seeing the line at over half hour already we entered the single rider line at 5 mins, but it was a walk on. Millie was none too pleased with the ride as she has issues with motion sickness, but me, well I LOVED IT!!! I loved the smell-a-vision ( much like the Sinbad ride in Tokyo) with strong scents that matched the scenes you are passing through. Exiting the ride so early, we could see into the Remy Restaurant which was empty so we were allowed to snap some photos before filing out, which was fortunate, as eating there was well out of our daily food budget.
After doing over the shops in the area, we headed back to Toy Story land as we wanted to go on the parachutes and Miss M was keen to ride RC racer. So she lined up in the single rider line for that as the parachutes were down. As she headed off to ride RC, they re-opened the parachutes ride so as it was still a walk on, I lined up and with a struggle to get into the seat ( I was WAY too short to be able to clamber up into the seat without help - which was a little embarrassing surrounded by kids that had no issue getting up into it. )Anyhoo, I really didn't love the ride and went to wait for Millie. After waiting over half hour ( her wait time was supposed to be 25 mins) the heavens opened up and I headed to the only shelter ( the RC racer photo opp box) and waited with another couple of families doing the same. I waited another 20 mins and when she finally made it back totally bedraggled from standing in the rain, and found out they had pulled the pin on the ride as she was the next single rider...so again... she was less than delighted. She was not having a lot of luck.

We decided to have an early lunch and headed back to the restaurant we walked through at the start of the park - as there was nothing else open, and no vans open, and given that it was pouring, we were a long way from the only ones to do the same.
This was the only place that we encountered a very 'feisty' attendant. When we'd finished our meal, we had decided to split up and I was going to use the Ratatouille FP's and she was going to do the Animation Academy. Standing up, and arranging our wet jackets and bags, we were set upon by a 'tidier' for want of a better description who let us have it both barrels in French thinking we were going to leave our lunch mess on the tables... which we had no intention of doing... despite reassuring him as best we could that we were indeed going to get rid of our rubbish before leaving, he blasted us loudly for a good 5 minutes which was again, very embarrassing and a little upsetting. Someone came and calmed him down but no apology was forthcoming and we have never actually encountered such a spray at a park ever.
Anyhoo, after we met back up at the Animation Academy, we decided to do the next round - they don't have a schedule, you just do which ever character the animator feels like drawing at the time - and once again drawing Pooh Bear wasn't really the experience we'd hoped for, but we did it anyway because it was still pouring outdoors.
From here we left the warmth of the Academy and headed towards the Crush Coaster, which was now only a half hour wait, so we lined up and rode that - perhaps having done a little research would have been good on my part, as the inversion soon after the beginning of the ride was a surprise to say the least, and while it was fun, it did take my breath away. On exiting, we saw Mickey and Buzz meet n' greet underway, so lined up for Buzz, knowing there would be no time for both. All character meet n' greets finish early here in Winter so we didn't meet - or see - very many at all.
The rain just kept bucketing down so we ran across to Tower of Terror and decided to ride that - it was a walk on- but they are really strict about not taking any photos/video and heard a few getting chastised even in the initial areas. I even got told to put my bag on the floor ( nope, that wasn't going to happen, my camera would end up floating above my head) so I ignored him and wrapped the straps around my arm a few times ( my usual process) and hung on for what is always one of my fav rides.
The options of what to do after that were dwindling as many rides were either closed for maintenance or just plain down. So we headed to the Stitch encounter, which made Stitch look and sound like a sleezy pick up artist - seriously - we were cringing with the stuff coming out of his mouth. So while it was warm and dry in there, it was also not our fav show.
We were so damp at that point and there was only half hour of the park opening left, so we did the unthinkable and headed out of the park and into the warm ( and enjoyable) atmosphere of the Disney Village. We had never eaten at Earl of Sandwich before this trip but we will def look for this in Anaheim next time because we really enjoyed the food - that was dinner. We spent a significant amount of time wandering the Gallery, the Lego store, the Disney Designs clothing store and Disney Store before finishing back at World of Disney. We left quite a lot of Euro's in the village that night.
One thing that was disappointing was the lack of pressed penny machines. As many of you probably already know, Paris does medallions, which cost more and are sometimes not all that shiny and new. We bought a few, and later found out the only actual pressed penny machine in the whole place is located in the Rainforest Cafe - where we didn't go.
As it was so inclement today, we didn't buy much in the park other than what would fit in our backpacks as we didn't want it to get soaked. Given that all the same things are available in WODisney we opted to wait till the end of the day and buy them there. We didn't notice much area specific merch like we have elsewhere. It was all very same same. Thimbles are a 'thing' here as well as teaspoons ( probably because of the high percentage of UK visitor?) The pins were great - heaps to choose from. The fluffies were also great, but tended to have huge swathes of the same ones rather than more diversity. We had no trouble picking out ones we wanted though ... :wink:
Overall, we enjoyed this park less, possibly because it was so very wet and it was definitely smaller with more rides closed.
I'm thinking one day in this park is plenty.

With half of the other park left to explore and still almost 2 full days left, we were pretty confident we'd see everything we wanted to.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:01 am

We also liked The Earl of Sandwich shops in the US - particularly in Downtown Disney in Orlando.

Yes - your experience at the Paris Studios park sounds pretty typical these days. Did you do Cinemagique though? I hope that was open as it is one of the more memorable things in the studio park.
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:50 am

Did you do Cinemagique though? I hope that was open as it is one of the more memorable things in the studio park.
Sadly, no, we didn't get back to do cinemagique.... we had intended going back into that park on the last day to watch it, but thanks to the snow, we stayed in Disneyland and missed it which we were a bit disappointed about.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:34 pm

Day 3 - Disneyland again.

So today was our last full day in the parks and had decided to complete the other half of the park we hadn't seen yet.
We started by trying ( quite frustratingly) to find the atm that took foreign cards for a top up of Euros but it took us a good 20 minutes and a lot of walking back and forth past it, as it was actually tucked into the corner of a shop and not separate like we were imagining, before locating it and ensuring our fluffie spree could continue.

That accomplished, we then headed towards Frontierland and with a very wet day forecast, we wasted no time getting to our first port of call - Big Thunder. With a couple of quick snaps of the very photogenic area where it is located, we walked straight on - the 5 minute posted time was literally how long it took to walk through the line to file straight onto the ride. As always, this was fun, but I think a much tamer version than both Tokyo and Anaheim... even Miss M commented that it had a lot of almost stopped moments and very slow sections. We were also fortunate to get the front seat of the train too so we had an amazing view. We toyed with riding it again, but with the sky looking very threatening, we opted to do some more outside rides before re-do's. So it was onto the Indy ride, but I have to say, this is not nearly as much fun as the other parks versions imho. Its vastly different, outside and very rough ride had me vowing not to go back on it, but Miss M did enjoy it. The forecast had clearly held a lot of punters at bay ( until lunchtime anyway), and so she rode again.

From here we doubled back to do the Phantom Manor, which was also a walk on. The outside of this ride is amazing, but we both felt the ride itself was a bit of a let down. We both enjoyed the Anaheim one more. The grounds and walk up are truly amazing and the imagineers did their job well, but we found the ride a little lack lustre, a bit too dark to see the 'attractions' and seemed to just be skeletons hanging everywhere instead of the ghosts we were used to. For those who love the whole zombie thing, you would probably find it great, but because neither Miss M or myself like that stuff, we didn't. There were a few 'rooms' that were good - like the bride looking into the mirror and seeing a ghost.
From the Manor, we headed through to Adventureland, and were fortunate enough to stumble on a 'just arrived' meet n' greet with Rafiki and Timon. We lined up and as it turned out, were VERY fortunate as the line was closed soon after us. Again though, we were rushed through, and the Characterisation of the actors was lack luster and the CM's actually wouldn't take photos for us, so we had to snap a single shot of each of us ourselves instead of getting into the shot together. I really think that if you are going to line up to meet the characters, then you should not walk away feeling disappointed with the interaction. It doesn't have to be much, but it should leave you feeling happier for the experience. Anyhoo... moving on.
So from here we went to Pirates, and this area is just so beautiful. Really well done with the ship in the harbour. Miraculously, the rain was still holding off, but the crowds were almost non-existent, so it was a walk on again. I always try to get the back seat in this ride to avoid getting wet, but we were ushered into the front seat which made me a little worried about how wet we'd get. This Pirates has a few extra 'log-ride-downward-waterfall-thingy's' which I usually try to avoid like the plague, but despite my reservations, we made it through the significant waterfalls without getting too wet, and enjoyed the ride. Interestingly, all the scenes are in a different order to what I'm used to seeing, which threw me a little.
We came out to another meet n' greet underway with Peter Pan and Wendy, but the rain was finally having its say, so we bolted for cover and lunch at the Hot Dog place back in the hub.
OMgosh, the hot dogs were like two foot long and had we realised, we'd have ordered one and split it. It was massive. I made the mistake of ordering cheese, which turned out to be the plastic US style cheese, but it was ok once I scraped 90% of it off. :wink: The hot dogs were as good as I've had anywhere though, and on a cold day, was just perfect.
The rain had really set in so we decided to walk both sides of the Main Street shops from the inside, which took us hours, and was a lot of fun.
We stopped at a little 'bakery shop' along the way for yet another french pastry and warm drink in the afternoon, and then braved the outdoors again and headed to Discoveryland. This area was almost entirely blocked off with only Star Tours and Buzz and two shops open... that was it... zippo else was open including restaurants and shops. Miss M really can't handle the movement on Star Tours so she busied herself in the shops while I rode. This was the first time I have had the ice planet scene so I really enjoyed it, but again, it was so gentle that I didn't even put my arms on the arm rest - usually I'm grabbing them as the ship tilts, but it wasn't ever necessary. Miss M probably could have ridden it and enjoyed it.
Buzz was down by the time we came back so that was out for another ride.
So at this point, we'd done pretty much everything we'd wanted to do and it was POURING rain so we headed back to Main Street to wander any shops we'd missed or wanted to return to before heading out of the park as the Parade had been cancelled and we suspected the Night show on the castle Dreams would be too ( turns out it wasn't, but we didn't want to stand in the pouring rain to see it again) so just before the park was due to close we headed out to the Disney Village and had dinner.
It feels so odd that the park closed so early, but its winter so I guess thats to be expected. We ran from shop to shop through the rain purchasing a few things we'd held off on earlier, and then went back to the bus stop to catch the next shuttle back to the hotel.
The thing that stuck with me today was how crowded the few open food outlets were when it was raining. Many of the restaurants were closed, so everyone was funneled into a few which made them crowded, the waits long and frustrating and everyone was dripping so even if you had managed to stay dry to that point, waiting in line soon ended that.
Having experienced Japan on just as rainy days, it was a vastly different experience - the food vans were all open, people still queued for the van food, the restaurants were all still open and I never felt squished into any area that was dry. I guess comparison is useless, but I found myself doing it none the less.
We were very fortunate that the rain held off until lunch time, which ironically, was when the park filled up. We had ridden all the outside rides dry and happy and it certainly made the day more fun as a result.

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Wow, I can't believe that serve you got at the Studios park! How awful :( And touring in the rain would have put a damper (pun intended) on your spirits too.

I was left feeling a little 'meh' about the Paris parks, but thought it might have been because I toured there on my own. Keith's post made me remember how much I enjoyed Cinemagique though - I think that was my favourite thing from Paris - although it was all so long ago now. I was there just after the Studios park opened!
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:50 pm

Wow, I can't believe that serve you got at the Studios park! How awful :( And touring in the rain would have put a damper (pun intended) on your spirits too.

I was left feeling a little 'meh' about the Paris parks, but thought it might have been because I toured there on my own. Keith's post made me remember how much I enjoyed Cinemagique though - I think that was my favourite thing from Paris - although it was all so long ago now. I was there just after the Studios park opened!
Yep Mel, we were very taken aback by the serve we got... but we're over it now. :)

We really wish we'd made it back to cinemagique now but I guess it'll have to wait till/if we go again one day.
We still enjoyed our trip to the park but I'm not sure I'd fly to France only for that... it'd have to be a 'as well as ' option on a Euro trip I think.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Day 4 - Disneyland Paris :

So this was our last day in the park, and as we'd prepared our luggage and checked out before heading to the park, we really only got there around 11am.

It was very very cold today and snow was forecast, and indeed began while we waited at the bus stop.
As a result of the snow, my camera barely came out of the bag today, it was just too steady and was getting it way too wet so I hardly took any photos today. We raced through the snow, riding all the things we hadn't ridden yet - Pinocchio, Snow White in Fantasyland, and re-riding the a few others.
We visited shops that we'd missed, ( in an attempt to stay out of the snow) and ate lunch before heading out of the park for the last time to do a little more shopping at WODisney that would be impossible to squeeze into our luggage. The snow didn't let up all day and was a major factor in what we could achieve today - which wasn't a lot when added to our time constraints.

With heavy hearts, we headed back to the bus stop for the final time at 3pm and dragged our luggage to the bus interchange to catch the shuttle to the airport. And then it was bye bye Europe until next time.

All in all, it was wonderful to be back in a Disney property again, and would we visit again? well, if we were back in Europe- probably. Particularly as we now have a 12 months window with our AP's :wink: although, we're thinking Hong Kong will be our next park. One day.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:00 am

Thanks for sharing your daily trip reports with us Lisa. I can't imagine what it would be like to visit a Disney Park in real snow...

I'm with you, I wouldn't go to Paris again just for the Disney Park; but if I was in Europe for something else, then I would definitely make the time to drop in for a couple of days. I guess that is the real difference between Paris and the other parks - I'm happy to go to travel overs to the US, Japan and Hong Kong just for the park, but wouldn't do that for Paris.

Where to next Lisa?? :D
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Thanks for sharing your daily trip reports with us Lisa. I can't imagine what it would be like to visit a Disney Park in real snow...

Where to next Lisa?? :D
In the snow was a real challenge... mostly because everyone was trying to squeeze under the only cover there was and that doesn't work well with camera's ;)

Where to next? Well, I'm going to WDW with Sandie and a large troupe of girls late 2016 but.... Millie turns 21 late this year ( and wants to travel rather than a party) and I turn 50 in Jan next year so I am working on a possible something to celebrate both in the Christmas break... no idea where that will be ( might depend on world events between now and then ;) ) but if I could choose a Disney destination it would be Hong Kong or Aulani and other options currently in the mix are Thailand or a cruise... will depend somewhat on whether I get another job or not... ( given that I quit one to be able to travel over Christmas) I still have a temp job that I'm working in at the moment ( and love) but they don't have regular work so am on the hunt for that.

LOL... of course, if the book I wrote last year manages to be published then I'm going to them ALL -/

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”