Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Washington D.C. and Walt Disney World 2013

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Washington D.C. and Walt Disney World 2013

Postby KeithS » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:00 am

Day 18 - Downtown and Epcot
Me again. Here is a run down on the day so far.

I got up early and headed for breakfast - I knew the rains were coming, so I wanted to get a bit done beforehand. I went to the Pop shop as well to buy some decorations for my MagicBand (Sorcerer Mickey set).

After that, I headed over to Downtown Disney - specifically the World of Disney store to look for Vera Bradley Disney Collection handbags for Della. While I was there, I discovered that I had already maxed out the credit limit on my MagicBand, so I had to go back to Pop to sort it all out (I put today's purchases on my credit card). I took my bags of loot back to the hotel and I sorted out my credit limit - the girl who served me was from Brisbane and when I told her I had exceeded my limit, her words were "well done!" LOL.

I was going to head to Hollywood Studios today, but I changed my mind as I was hungry so I thought I'd go to Epcot instead. When I got there, I headed straight towards World Showcase. I noticed the new Starbucks in now open in Epcot. All the Food and Wine festival stands are up, but they were still closed - the festival opens on Friday and I am going back there then!

The park itself was dead - hardly any crowds, so that was good. On a mission to get food, I headed to China and had lunch at the cafe there. The black clouds were rolling in but it was still dry. I decided I would head to the Boardwalk as I had never been there before. On my way, I ran into Snow White and Princess Aurora. I headed out of the exit near France and walked to the broadwalk, checking out the Beach and Yacht Club, and the Boardwalk Villas (and their shops). I saw the Cinderella wedding coach and its white ponies - that was cool. By now, we had a pretty good thunder storm overhead, so I caught the ferry back to Epcot. It was really heaving it down now, but I walked back towards Future World, planning on heading to The Living Seas, but as I kept walking, the heavier it got until it was hard to see far ahead! I got as far as Innoventions and gave up. I ran o Mouse Gear and hung out there for a bit. Looking at the weather radar online, the storm stretched all the way to Tampa, so it was obvious it was going to hang around for a while. So I decided to get the bus back to Pop. As I headed out, the park was empty and the sky really dark and it was only 2pm!

I got back to my room around 2:30 and now trying to dry all my clothes. It is now 3:45 and it is still pouring outside. If the rain eases later, I'll head over to a park - maybe Magic Kingdom to watch Wishes, but if it stays raining like now, I'll be staying at the resort.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:07 am

LOL - I just went down to the food court and the pathways are starting to go under pooling water. It was over an inch deep in places. Definitely not going out tonight, I think all the evening events have been cancelled as they are not appearing on the My Disney Experience app. The rain is meant to continue for two more days :( Not looking good for my Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tomorrow.
Keith

Trip history:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:53 pm

Don't they have food in Hollywood Studios?

I remember being told there that it rains briefly every afternoon and that was certainly my experience. But this sounds a little bit more damp

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:22 am

LOL yes, we have been here when it has been afternoon storms each day but this was different as the rain never stopped. Thankfully today has been good, hot humid and overcast but dry. Just taking a break before heading back to MK this evening for Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party. The park was very quiet this morning so I got a lot done. Will do full update later.
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Don't they have food in Hollywood Studios?
Just noticed this question - yes they do, but I wanted something other than American food that I had been eating for the last few weeks - hence why I went to Epcot - more variety.

Anyway - it is time for:
Day 19 - Magic Kingdom!
After breakfast, I decided to hit the Magic Kingdom. Today was meant to be torrential rain again, but so far, it was only drizzle, so I got the bus early and headed to the park. The park was nicely dressed up for Halloween with large set pieces in Town Square that looked great. The park itself was pretty dead, but the Move It, Shake It Street party was just starting, so I went and watched that in the hub before going crazy on rides - I'm not going to list them all but it was fun. I will mention the Peoplemover though - because this week, Space Mountain is closed for a refurb, so the lights were on inside! It was great to see the whole coaster (and they were testing the cars too) - funny thing is, the special effects were all still active, so you could still see the star lights on the ceiling working etc.

I did some shopping before hoping onto Buzz Lightyear and then had lunch at Casey's Corner - a hot dog with pulled pork, coleslaw and BBQ sauce - it was great and I felt fat afterwards - I even ate the fries that came with it - yum.

After lunch, I watched the Dream Along with Mickey castle show before hitting the road back to my hotel (it was very hot and humid and I had to get changed into my Halloween shirt for tonight!)

Back out to the park around 5pm, and this time I had to bring my Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP) ticket with me to get in. This gave me a wristband that allowed me to stay in the park after closing (which reminds me, how do you take these bands off without scissors?! hehe.) I then headed up to Fantasyland and came face to face with all seven dwarfs - that was pretty cool. I then hit the event merchandise stands for pins and the t-shirt. I then started going to all the candy stations - that was a lot of fun and I managed to fill my bag as the night drew on. I then found a great spot for the Boo to You parade, in Liberty Square standing on the raise pedestal where the town stocks are located. Of course, it then started to rain...and then it started to POUR! They made an announcement that the parade would go ahead, but then the rain stopped, so I stayed where I was, and then the parade came - yay! No headless horseman though, too wet for the horse. The Boo to You Parade is still great (of course, I now have that song in my head).

After Boo to You, I did more candy then headed to the hub to watch the Celebrate the Magic castle projection show which is still awesome and with different sequences since I last saw it - I really love the castle projection shows. This was immediately followed by Hallowishes fireworks show which is brilliant! After the fireworks, a massive crowd headed to the exit, so I headed to Splash Mountain instead, and got soaked. Even at night, they had the water effects turned up to 11!

I got off Splash in time to see the second running of the parade. When it was over, I walked through Adventureland and saw it all over again. After the parade, I hung around taking photos and the crowds thinned, did a bit more shopping, then headed out the park for the buses - another successful Disney day. It is now 1am, so I am going to bed!
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Having done the Christmas party, I think doing the Halloween party needs to be added to the list. Sounds like its a great night Keith, despite the rain.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:50 pm

I loved MNSSHP! I wish DLR did it

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Day 20 - Disney Hollywood Studio and Magic Kingdom
Another day at Disney - I slept in a little after the big party last night. After breakfast, I decided that I would go to DHS so I looked at the wait times on the Disney App and saw Toy Story Mania had a 70 minute wait already and normal fastpasses were out to 8:00pm already. I thought this was a good time to try the MagicBand so I used the app to select my three fast passes for DHS. I selected Toy Story Mania for 10:45am, Tower of Terror for 12:00 and Star Tours for 1:45pm.

I got to the park around 11am and headed straight to Toy Story. I buzzed my wrist against the fastpass unit, it turned green and I was in. I headed to the front of the line - and was playing in minutes. Plus 1 for MagicBand.

I then had a quick look around the park before heading to Tower of Terror. Again I buzzed my wrist and was through - unfortunately, ToT went down, so I still had to wait a little bit, but soon I was back moving and on the ride. Another tick to MagicBands.

After lunch, I headed to Star Tours. I forgot to mention earlier you actually check your band twice, once at the start of the Fastpass line, then a second time at the merge point with the normal line. At Star Tours, I buzzed at the entrance okay, but the second buzz didn't give a response. The girl just let me through and said it was a system problem, so no problem there and I was on the ride again.

The problem I saw with Fastpass was that I selected them in the morning before you really know the flow of the crowd at the park. When I went for my Star Tours ride, there was actually no wait in standby, so it was a wasted FP. Whereas that FP could have been better used elsewhere. On a busy day, it would be a great system, on lighter days, not as good.

After Star Tours, I headed over to Rockin' Roller Coaster and took the single rider line. This is the first time I've ever used a single rider line and that worked really good for me too - my wait was only a few minutes while the standby was around 40.

After that, I decided to leave the park and head back to Pop for a bit. I then headed over to Magic Kingdom for dinner and fireworks. There was no electrical parade tonight, so I just watched the Celebrate the Magic castle show, followed by Wishes, and then the castle show again. The closed at 10pm tonight, so I headed out around 9:30. It was a great day.

Here are some photos from the Magic Kingdom:

Prince Eric's castle in the New Fantasyland

Beast's Castle in New Fantasyland

Cinderella's Castle

Main St. Station at WDW
Keith

Trip history:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:43 pm

Another great day!

I've used single rider lines even when I've been with the kids. I think we used it multiple times on Everest

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:47 am

Hot and humid today. It was pouring an hour ago but now it is cloudless and very hot. At Downtown shopping but about to go to Epcot. Luggage space now a problem so no more big buys! Will report again tonight.
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:13 am

Currently at Epcot and the Food and Wine Festival has soft opened. Wow, the food is great and I can buy the merchandise now. Kaching!
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:34 am

Great updates Keith :) The magic bands sound like they're a bit of a time saver.
Loved the photos :)
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:41 am

No worries Lisa.

Just sitting in Epcot Mexico at the moment waiting for Illuminations to begin. So much yummy food here at the festival. The South African dish I just had was brilliant.
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:52 pm

Day 21 - Downtown Disney and Epcot
Today after breakfast I headed down to Downtown Disney to pick up some last minute gifts and also look for things for Della's Mum. It was pouring rain when I left my hotel, but by the time I got to Downtown it was sunny and very hot and steamy.

After shopping, I headed on to Epcot for the day. I was really hot and I was going to hit the attractions, but discovered that the Epcot Food and Wine Festival had soft opened, so I began sampling all the foods - that was great fun! Eventually full, I headed over to The Seas with Nemo and Friends and spent time there cooling off before going to Soarin' and Mission Space. A bit more food and festival merchandise, then I hit Spaceship Earth before heading out the park for a break. I went back to the hotel, dropped off my stuff and got some cold drinks and wrote a few emails. I then did a practice pack of all my loot and I think I'll be able to squeeze it all in (just!!!)

I then headed back to Epcot for dinner (more food!) and Illuminations. Illuminations had a technical error (in fact a few shells went off while we were waiting) and then the show was delayed by 35 minutes, but it went off eventually.

Now I am heading to bed as it is late. But here are some more photos!

Epcot Entrance with Food and Wine Festival cut outs.

Cool cranberry growing demonstration! And they were handing out packets of cranberries too.

Cool view of Spaceship Earth

Alice over at the UK part of World Showcase

Lady back at Pop Century
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Day 22 - Downtown and Epcot
Today was my final full day here before I hit the road tomorrow and start the long journey back home.

I started the day by skyping with Della, before heading over to Downtown Disney. I had previously sent Della some photos of jewellery items and she had picked out ones that were interesting to her and her Mum. I then went back this morning to buy some items. Once I had my purchases, I headed over to Epcot food and wine festival again. I bought a bottle of Australian wine for our friends Brian and Patti - but the most amazing thing happened, the girl who served me was Australian and her aunty lives on my street in South Penrith! LOL.

I also bought the Food and Wine Festival pins before going for a final walk around the park after lunch.

I then headed back to the hotel to get ready for visits Brian and Patti's house tonight. They came and picked me up around 6pm and we headed over to their place. We had a great time and they showed me their Disney collection which was great - I loved seeing their Disney awards for service - they were amazing.

Anyway, after a wonderful dinner and conversation, it was time to depart so they took me back to Pop - my last full day over.

Just need to complete packing and I'll be on my way tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for following my journey!
Keith

Trip history:

kuchnie Czeladź