Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Washington D.C. and Walt Disney World 2013

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Washington D.C. and Walt Disney World 2013

Postby ajp » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:04 pm

How were you not arrested? I was of the belief that they didn't like anyone taking photos of their federal buildings post 9/11.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:38 pm

How were you not arrested? I was of the belief that they didn't like anyone taking photos of their federal buildings post 9/11.
There are certainly no issues with that here - the place is full of domestic and international tourists and all they do is take photos of the buildings :)

I would imagine that you'd be frowned upon if you were doing that in other Cities - but Washington only has Federal buildings, so every photo you take has them!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:33 am

Day 11 - back at work
Hi everyone - by now you would have heard about the mass shooting in Washington DC this morning. It was just three kilometres down the road from the office I am working in. The City is in a bit of a turmoil at the moment, but it is just beginning to calm down as it looks like there was just a single gunman and he has been taken down.

For me, the day started normally and then about 8:45, everyone's telephone in our office started buzzing (just like a scene from a movie). We got the heads up that an active shooter was on the loose in the area, however our building was outside the lock down zone. None of the people I worked with needed to respond and thankfully there was no one at work who had family at the Naval Yard.

I had to give a presentation today and immediately afterwards (around 2pm) I was dismissed and our office was told to go home.

I expected to see a lot of security on the subway, but I never saw a thing! I guess every police officer in the City must all be down at the incident. Back here in the hotel, the outside noise is quite reduced to what it is normally like. I was thinking of taking a walk down to the White House to see what is going on, but it probably isn't a good idea!

Anyway - I am back at the hotel and all is safe. Back to work tomorrow!
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:32 am

Glad to hear you're safe and sound Keith. The shooting was the first thing I heard about this morning and was hoping you'd check in.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:41 pm

Day 12, 13 and 14 - Work
Oops - we missed a few days there due to the forum issues, but it is back up and running now, so all is good!

Not much I can talk about for Tuesday and Wednesday - just extremely busy, including working up to 11:30pm on Tuesday night, so I wouldn't have posted any news then anyway. Wednesday was better - I was back in the hotel and into bed at a reasonable hour.

Today started in my normal office, but then I headed across the river, under the Pentagon and up to Crystal City where I presented a briefing to the senior representatives of a number of three-letter agencies. That was pretty cool and now I have a lot of three-letter agency memorabilia to add to my collection (nothing beats freebies and the US agencies are generous with their stuff). After the briefing, we hit a local bar in Crystal City for a couple of hours before heading back to the hotel. Then this evening, I went up to Georgetown with a bunch of people and had dinner at the Old Glory BBQ restaurant, which was insane! Here is a picture (it almost sent my body into a toxic meat-shock! LOL)

So tomorrow is my last work day here - I only have a morning meeting - essentially a debrief of the last two weeks which have been fantastic. I'll have the afternoon off to pack and then I fly to Orlando via Miami on Saturday morning.

Will check in again with you all tomorrow night.
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:47 pm

An experience for a lifetime Keith, sounds like a productive trip. Enjoy the flight to Florida.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:18 pm

Is that food for one person?

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:24 am

Is that food for one person?
Shared between two, but in reality, we hardly made a dent and it could easily have fed five! Insane!

Day 15 (I think)
Well today was my last day in Washington and I've had a really good time. From meeting awesome people, to seeing the sights, and stuffing my face with food and alcohol (I'll never drink again!).

Today I caught the subway to my office where we had a debrief, then six of us headed up to the J Edgar Hoover FBI building for a visit to some people and spend time (and money) at the FBI shop. I bought lots of memorabilia - mainly pins and things for my work colleagues. I have to say it was pretty cool walking into that building (once you are past security) and walking over the big FBI seal in the floor. As I was walking around the building, I ran into another Australian working there, so that was pretty funny.

After the FBI, I went to lunch with the FBI and a few other foreign law enforcement people in a french restaurant nearby. I then said goodbye to all my co-workers and headed back to the hotel to begin packing. It looks a bit daunting at the moment - I have so much stuff to pack that I'll need to take out my suitcase in a suitcase already (I hadn't planned on doing that until Orlando, but there is no way I can pack everything in without doing that.).

Anyway - my next update should be from Orlando tomorrow evening - so I will check in again then. In the meantime, here I am about to enter the FBI Headquarters :)

By the way - I got a message from Disney saying that I am on the Magic Band trial and I'll pick up the package when I check in tomorrow - awesome!
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:59 am

LOL. Sitting in the Magical Express bus at Art of Animation Resort as we unload passengers. Next stop, Pop Century!
Keith

Trip history:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:13 am

Woo hoo! -/

Excellent about the band trial!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:26 am

Ahhh - Walt Disney World!

Day 16 - Flying and Walt Disney World
I woke up this morning for my last day in Washington. My flight wasn't until 10:55am, so I had a lazy start. Eventually around 8:30, I checked out and got a limo service (flat fee $25 - bargain) to Ronald Reagan Airport. The drive to the airport was cool as you go right past the Pentagon.

As I had so many bags, I opted for curbside checkin so I didn't have to walk far LOL. And then headed straight through security and up to the gate. I had an hour to wait, so I grabbed a bite to eat and a coffee first then boarded the plane when the time was due. There were storms predicted for the east coast today, and the sky was looking threatening, but the flight was super smooth - one of the best ever! It was on time into Miami, so I had no problem making my connection. I already had a boarding pass, so there was no check-in process, once again I grabbed a drink then headed to the gate. I had a priority boarding pass, so I was in the first group to be called, but when he scanned my pass - he got a red light. He looked down and picked up a new boarding pass for me - First Class! Woohoo, a free upgrade, of course, it was only a 40 minute flight so it didn't really mean anything other than a more comfortable seat in row 2 (so I could be almost first off!). Again, the flight was nice and smooth and I arrived in Orlando around 3:20pm. I went downstairs, grabbed my bags and headed to the Magical Express counter.

It is always so good to get served by Disney - they are a class above everyone else. I got my ticket and boarded the bus (a Disney Cruise Line bus) and headed to Pop Century via The Art of Animation.

Check in was easy and they gave me this box with the Magic Band in it (the box is cool, it is white with Elasti-Girl on the cover - I'll bring it to the next meeting. Inside the box, my name is printed, and my name is also printed on the MagicBand. You can also buy bits to decorate your band - I think I'll get the Sorcerer Mickey set. You need to set the band up like the old Magic-Your-Way cards, including adding a PIN for purchases. I did all that then went up to my room.

I'm in the 1980's section - not too far away from where Della and I stayed when we came in 2006. Great room as always.

After dumping my stuff, I headed straight to the shops for a quick look. There isn't a lot of new merchandise since April, except for the Halloween stuff. Some great shirts that will be coming home LOL. I then went to the food court for dinner. I bought a new drink mug (they are RFID activated now - so you have to buy a mug each visit). It cost $18 for a length of stay mug.

After dinner, I went for a walk across the bridge to the Art of Animation resort - it was pretty surreal to be there again, just a few months after staying there! I checked out the shop there and they actually had more merchandise than Pop. I still didn't buy anything, but I promise that I will! I also ran into a group of Australian Disney fans in the store there and we chatted about half an hour - I told them about the club, so we'll see if they get in touch.

Anyway - I am about to Skype Della and contact our Disney friends (Brian and Patti from the cruise) who live here in Orlando. I'll be going to the Animal Kingdom with Brian and Patti tomorrow.

Catch you later!
Keith

Trip history:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:13 pm

I have really enjoyed your updates from Washington but I can feel the excitement really building now!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:42 am

Day 17 - Animal Kingdom
(Still finding it surreal to be here)

Got up this morning feeling very comfortable. The bed here is much nicer than the one in Washington and if my alarm wasn't set, I would have slept in until midday!

As I was meeting my friends at 11am, there was no rush for me to get to the parks, so I went for breakfast, then I came back to my room to watch the Formula One race in Singapore.

After the race, I headed to the buses and headed off to Animal Kingdom. It was warm and humid but not really hot. I found Brian and Patti waiting for me just near the entrance and it was great to see them again. They both used to work at AK from the very beginning and they had great stories to share. They told me of how they used to go over to Joe Rhode's apartment (he was the lead Imagineer of Animal Kingdom) before Joe was famous, and how he'd tell them of his design ideas for the park - how cool!

The park was pretty quiet today and we leisurely made our way through to Kilimanjaro Safari, but found that was a 30 minute wait (everyone seemed to head there first) so we grabbed a Fastpass then did the Pangani Forest trail. After the trail, our Fastpasses were due, so we headed back to the safari and did the ride - it was great today, lots of big animals were out. Elephants, Hippos, Rhinos, Lions, Cheetahs, Zebras, Warthogs, Giraffes - they were all there.

After that, we had lunch at the Pizzafari and did some shopping. We then went to The Festival of the Lion King which I had never seen before - I'd only seen the Hong Kong one and was surprised to see how different it was.

After the show, we started to head out and discovered there was a big thunder storm overhead - it was pouring down, but that didn't stop us - we just headed out into the rain and it was actually cooling us. We headed on up to Expedition Everest and Brian and I went on it together and had a great time - riding a coaster in the rain was a new experience! And the Standby Line was only 5 minutes - so that gives you an idea of how quiet the park was! It was still raining, so we headed for more shops. Brian and I decided we'd do Kali River Rapids as I had never done that before, but when we got over there, it was shut because of the storm (boo!). The rain was getting heavier, and it was now 4pm, so at that point, we arranged to meet up again on Friday night and then Brian and Patti headed home. I stayed in the park a while longer (there was hardly anyone around now because of the rain). I did some shopping then decided to head over to Downtown Disney.

Boy - that place has changed since I was there in April! There are construction walls up everywhere as its conversion to Disney Springs gets underway. All the old nightclubs have been demolished and car parks are being dug up. The storm had passed and the sun came back out (steamy!!!). I checked out a bunch of shops and bought a few things in World of Disney. I also stopped at the Ghirardelli shop for my traditional Nob Hill Chill - even sitting down on the brick wall where Della and I always sit!

After shopping, I caught the bus back to Art of Animation, then walked across the bridge to Pop Century (I like that walk!). I was back in the room by 7:00pm. I dropped all my loot then headed to the food court for dinner. Now I am back and settling in for tonight.

Tomorrow, I am heading back in the morning to Downtown Disney - then I'll be going to Disney's Hollywood Studio.

Here are a handful of photos:
Della made me promise I wouldn't have too much fun - here is me not enjoying myself! haha

Our Disney-friends, Patti and Brian at the Tree of Life

Me enjoying my Ghirardelli at Downtown Disney

My first giant bag of loot!
Keith

Trip history:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Don't miss this new attraction Keith!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DakW1GtyTVA

I noticed you did the 'wet' rides without Della

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:49 am

Hi everyone. Warm and humid here. Just eating lunch at the Chinese cafe in Epcot. Yummy orange chicken. I have already maxed out my MagicBand credit limit once LOL. Looks like a big storm coming so I will be getting wet again this afternoon. Will check back in tonight.
Keith

Trip history:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”