Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

The Morthens go Again...WDW 2014

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: The Morthens go Again...WDW 2014

Postby KeithS » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:01 pm

Where's the running trip report Sandi?
Has she left already? Where are you Sandie! We want our trip reports!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:21 pm

Yes she's in WDW

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:16 am

Sandi where are the updates? :evil:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:10 am

She must be having too much fun. Either that, or the hurricane off the coast has knocked out the wifi LOL!
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:28 pm

She posted on FB today that the temps were 99!
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:24 pm

She posted on FB today that the temps were 99!
Oooh - that'll be nasty with the high humidity too! Thank goodness for beer in those situations hey Anthony? LOL
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:05 pm

One of the benefits of the Eastern parks is their greater access to beer, so yes Keith completely agree :D
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:43 pm

I think they've had some illness to contend with too... Peter has been in recovery mode from food poisoning for days now... I was chatting to Sandie last night and it sounds like they've had a fun time. I'd have loved to go on the 4th of July for the amazing fireworks.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:08 pm

Was just chatting to Sandie, and with her permission, I've posted her 'dailies' from FB onto here to give you a little taste of her trip. :)

Day 1 update.....John and I really didn't sleep much so we were in the foyer an hour early for our 7.30 pick up to head to Knotts Berry Farm. They may have picked us up at 7.30 but they didn't deliver us until 11! Luckily I had pre booked front of the line passes and we did everything except kid rides by 4. We ate an early dinner/late lunch at Mrs Knotts Kitchen which was as awesome as usual and were picked up at 6.30 pm. We got back to the hotel at 10.10! I was shocked that people in our bus including families were dropped at Disneyland at 11.30 and picked up at 7pm and felt they had seen enough!!!! The highlight was a little holiday miracle for me... In 2012 at Knotts I bought some red back spider ear rings, I have since lost one. I tracked down the shop but they don't sell them anymore... The lady went through boxes during the day and found 1 lone red back! And she gave it yo me for free!

Day 2..... Was spent on a plane. I did not sleep one minute so getting up at 4.30 am was easy however I was in a mean mood. We were all checked in etc by 6.30 for our 8 am flight. I was asleep before we took off and woke up ten minutes before we landed. We checked in and although I was sad we couldn't afford Riverside I can't see that much difference in the All Star rooms except maybe the sink size so I don't mind anymore. The Broadway area looks so nice at night. We ate at Cracker Barrell, called our little blossom who we miss a teeny tiny bit, picked up Pat's scooter and some groceries before heading back to our rooms. I'm loving the magic bands too.

Day 3: Magic Kingdom. I just want yo say that it's super busy but since I figured out how to maximise my Fastpass pluses we did 19 attractions from 9 am until 6.45 pm. I had three fast passes booked before we left home and got an additional 5 whilst there. Maximum wait for any attraction was 12 minutes even without fastpass. I kinda feel like a Disney god. We did in this order Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Country Bears, Haunted Mansion, Splash, Big Thunder, 7 Dwarfs, Philharmagic, Carousel of Progress, Buzz, Laugh Floor, Stitch, Pirates again, Tiki Room, Magic Carpets, Hall of Presidents, Small World, Space, and the train. We also had lunch, morning and afternoon snack break and sit down dinner although that was after 6:45pm.

Okey dokey... Day 4. We started at Disney's Hollywood Studios and had fast passes for Tower of Terror, Rock and Roller Coaster and Star Tours. We also fit in Muppets, the Great Movie Ride and the Animation Courtyard. It was stinking hot so we left around 2 and had lunch in our resort. Patricia Cook and John stayed at the hotel to stay cool and Peter and I hit some outlets. I know have bright orange Reeboks to match my blue ones. We headed back to the studios for dinner at the Sci Fi Drive In and had an awesome steak which is strange because I don't like steak. I snuck off and bought John some animation books he was lusting after and now Peter and I are in our separate beds on our iPads whilst the dirty stop outs are having caricatures drawn in the hotel lobby. I also opened my amazing gift from my amazing travel agent!

Day 5.... We headed to Animal Kingdom. It was super hot. Hint for 2016 either have short hair or make sure you can pull it up. We did dinosaur x2, Everest and the Safari before lunch then left. Pat slept, Peter went somewhere and John and I did laundry and swam. We had dinner at Ohana which was perfect and is 100% on the list for 2016

Day 6: which was yesterday but too bad! We went to Epcot. Once again the Fastpass system worked awesome. We went straight to Test track and rode with a 30 minute standby which has been the longest wait of our trip. Afterwards everyone else did Mission Space, I didn't think the spinning and my newly acquired vertigo would mix well so I waited in the air conditioned shop. We then visited Ellen in her Energy Adventure before heading across the park for Living With The Land using our first Fastpass. By now it was noon and almost time for our lunch reservations in Italy so we headed to World Showcase and I imparted much of my knowledge to Patricia Cook on the way! Lunch was yummy and we quickly used Fastpass two on Maelstrom. At this point Peter and his mum left to rest for a few hours. John and I did the rest of Futureworld and then met them again at 6.30 for our last Fastpass which was Soarin' . We then headed to the UK for dinner. We lucked out and were seated right on the water at 7.50 pm and watched Illuminations just as dessert arrived!

Day 7- Which is today! Patricia Cook wanted a rest day and the boys wanted to do boy things so I went to the Magic Kingdom alone! I booked me some Fastpasses and headed off for rope drop. In four hours I did Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Big Thunder, Splash, Haunted Mansion, the train, met Donald and Goofy, rode Ariel, met Gaston, ate lunch, Space Mountain and spent some time talking to a Disney animator in the Art of Disney Store. I also gave up explaining I was Australian and just pretended I was British today. I even told some old guy that Wills was my second cousin. Tonight Peter and I are eating at the California Grill.

Day 8.... Starts with a bit of day 7. After a beautiful dinner at California Grill Peter and I went to the Magic Kingdom until it closed at 1 am which meant we didn't get ready for sleep until 2.30am. Luckily today we could sleep in until 10! We started the day at Epcot with Test Track, Living Seas with Nemo and a nice lunch at Coral Reef. After lunch we split up and spent the rest of the afternoon exploring world Shhowcase. John and I sampled one of those chocolate ice cream macaroons....omg! Lisa Murden you would kill for one. Eventually we took Pat to a Walmart to buy some new bags and then I sat and watched them eat KFC. I had dinner in the food court when we got back to the resort. Big thunderstorms all afternoon provided some extra entertainment

Day 9 (I'm doing laundry so I have time to catch up!) we have four spare table service credits that we need to use so we start the day with breakfast at Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom. Peter wants a day to go look at boring bike stuff so we have goodbye to him and the rest of us head into Animal Kingdom. We use both a Fast Pass for Dinosaur and the stand by line too for back to back rides. Pat loves this one. The best part of today means that Peter isn't complaining when I want yo watch the shows so we head into the Nemo show, this is my first time seeing this and I loved it. Next it was time for Expedition Everest followed up with frozen lemonade cups! We also have Fast Passes for the Lion king show which was also very good, but I preferred Nemo. We headed out of the park and had an adventure getting the scooter onto a bus to head back to the hotel and a food court lunch. Peter returned with new bike boots and we all piled into the car for an evening at Old Town. This is an outdoor shopping area that has huge car shows every Saturday night. Once Peter had seen enough cars we had ice cream and came back to the hotel to sleep!

Day 10 is really a day just for John. At 9.30 am Peter dropped John and I off at a meeting hall in a park. For the next four hours we sat through the AGM of a local Civil War reenactment group which included some history lessons too. This group had started a special program 4years ago when the first battle of the civil war had it's 150th anniversary. Since then at least a few of them had participated in every 150th even held and they still have 14 more between now and mid 2015 when they will participate in the reenactment of the South's surrender. In reality the battalion they represent never actually surrendered their flag and at the 150th this group wasn't planning to either! After lunch the soldiers invited John to join I their drill which included firing a musket about 80 years younger than the one he shoots at home. He was in heaven.we finished up around 3.30 pm with lots of new email contacts and a few offers for John to come back to a real reenactment in the future, some of them have 10,000 participants. We headed to Downtown Disney for a little bit of browsing and dinner at the Rainforest Cafe. We headed back to the room to pack ready for our resort change tomorrow.

Day 11 (doing more laundry) today is shopping day! Peter started the day with cereal and milk - remember this! We headed to the Orlando Premium Outlets but bought nothing! After about 30 minutes it became clear Pat was not going to last the day so we took he back to the hotel and headed to the Florida Mall, I got a huge haul at the Body Shop, a new bead, a bracelet and 1/2 kilo of free m&m's at M&m world. I don't think anyone else got anything! We visited a Sears and John got a heap of clothes for only $40 and we made a stop at a J.C. penneys where Peter got a shirt. Peter started to feel sick around now and we couldn't figure out why until I asked him if he checked the expiry date on his milk. He replied it didn't expire until 27th July. I explained this wasn't possible and after some further discussion turns out it expired 27June. He got sicker as the day went on but still came yo the Wilderness lodge for dinner. He fell asleep during dinner and decided to go back to the hotel with his mum. John and I caught the bus to the Magic Kingdom and went on a heap of attractions and watched the awesome Celebrating the Magic show on the castle. We headed back around 11. Peter spent the night in the bathroom with various issues.

Day 12 there is no way my husband was getting out of bed this morning so Pat, John and I headed back to the Magic Kingdom. We had fast passes to Big Thunder, Splash and Peter Pan but also squeezed in Pirates and the Laugh Floor. We went back to the resort for lunch and Peter joined us still looking like death. We have dinner reservations to Be Our Guest however so even if he dies I am still going. We headed back to the park around 5 pm and rode Ariel before our dinner reservations. Let me assure you the Beast's Castle is the best themed restaurant Disney has ever built. It is amazing. Dinner was ok but you are clearly visiting for the atmosphere. After dinner you get a one on one with the Beast and the chance to walk around the castle. After dinner I bought a jigsaw of the only Thomas Kincade Disney painting I don't have in cross stitch. Thee was a framed one that looked amazing so even though I hate jigsaws I am going to build this one. I had a bit of a melt down as well but at least I made it almost two weeks! We watch the show on the castle again as well as the fireworks before heading out.

Day 13..... Peter is still sick but has to get up to drive John and I to Discovery Cove. This place isn't cheap, it was about $800 for the two of us but it is wonderful. It is all inclusive and that means food, drinks, booze, snacks and even free baskets of tampons in the bathroom! They supply sunscreen, shampoo, conditioners, towels, hair dryers and anything else you can think of. There are three main areas. The first is the Grand Reef. After having breakfast and snagging some good sun chairs John and if donned our masks and snorkels and jumped in. It was cold but you don't care because as soon as your face goes under the water you are in another world. Imagine all the fish in the Barrier Reef but enclosed in a pool that whilst a natural shape is probably as big as a clue of Olympic sized pools. There are fish and sting rays everywhere. The water depth varies from one metre to about six metres deep. We spent at least tree hours in here over the course of the day. The second area is a coup of lazy rivers. The short one takes you past an otter colony and some monkeys, the long one goes for about a mile and you can get out half way to explore a huge aviary where you can feed the birds. We spent at least two hours over here. The third area is your reserved dolphin swim. In groups of eight you spend time one on one with two dolphins and this includes a deep water swim. It was amazing and without offering too many details John can tell you dolphin poo does not taste like chicken! Peter picked us up around five pm and he told us he and his mum had visited a town called Winter Garden and had coffee. I think I had a better day! We had dinner at Cracker Barrell and I bought some really good foot cream in the shop. We headed to bed but I didn't get much sleep because Peter ate dinner and was sick again.

Day 14: back to Epcot after a late start. Pat had a rest day In the room so it was just the Morthens today. We didn't leave the room until 10 am due to the milk related illness but did make our Fastpass for Mission Space. We then spent time in Canada before visiting France and having rolls for lunch in the bakery. After lunch we explored Morocco and I really wanted a henna tattoo but the boys didn't understand so that has to wait until 2016. Once we had enough we moved onto Japan whe John and I got a kaki gori which are amazing snow cones. Mine was melon flavoured and Johns was rainbow.we explored Japan for ages before stopping in Germany for a little while. We then caught the boat back across the lagoon to use our fast passes for Soarin'. As we were getting off the boat something clicked in my hip and it hurt! A lot! I hobbled around a bit and then we decided to leave before our Test track passes were due. We went to Walmart and got John more shorts and stopped at Publix where we got some food for the room. Peter still wasn't feeling 100% so even though it cost us $40 we cancelled our dinner reservation in China as none of us wanted to fight our way back into Epcot. We ate at Portobello at Downtown Disney instead which was a nice Italian place. I cautioned Peter to eat less but he ignored me so once he went to bed he only slept two hours before waking up sick again!

Day 15 is today! It's the 4th of July. When we entered Animal Kingdom this morning they gave us little pin on American flags! We headed to Dinosaur first but it was not operating and stayed down the whole day. We rode Everest and John and I waited for the front seats. We followed this with It's Tough to Be a Bug and then Pat sat in the shade whilst we went on Kali River Rapids. No one on our boat got wet except....Peter and I. I was actually so wet I could have just jumped in the river. I was soaked through. We ate at the take away pace near Yak and Yeti before sloshing over to the safari. After our ride we headed back to the resort as I really needed new undies! Pat decided to stay in the room and the boys and I went and payed a round of miniature golf before we hit some more outlets where John got sneakers. I shopped in the Lindt shop which wasn't cheaper than home but hey it was chocolate! We picked up Pat and had dinner at Boma. This was a bit disappointing to me but maybe it was an off night. And that brings us back to me sitting outside the laundry room!

There you have it, up to date, I'll keep posting updates as Sandie does them :)
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks Lisa and thanks FB for your wonderful system of blocking posts from people we want to hear from, showing every single 'Like' of my son and sister and shoving all the advertising crap in our face instead!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:33 pm

No worries... these posts were on a closed page so thats prob why most haven't seen them... its a dedicated page for those on Sandie's 2016 trip.

I am tiring of the ads making my scrolling time doubled though... so hearing ya on that score.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks Lisa for posting these - it was great to catch up with Sandie's exploits.

Gotta feel sorry for Peter though - it sounds like a lot of porcelain-bus steering every night. :(
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:08 pm

Gotta feel sorry for Peter though - it sounds like a lot of porcelain-bus steering every night. :(
Absolutely... I think he's on the mend now, he was eating all Sandie's M&M's last I heard :wink:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:09 pm

Day 16: we planned to leave the room around noon but by ten we were bored (even though we watched Walking Dead until 2am) so we headed back to the Florida Mall to replace the three day old wallet John lost. Peter and John bought another three pairs of shoes that I ned to somehow pack. They boys then dropped Pat and I off at the Grand Floridian for our afternoon tea. It was so nice and is included in your 2016 cost! We each had a pot of tea, four little sandwiches, an onion tart, a scone, a tart, a bowl of strawberries with cream and two pastries! We then caught the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and watched the parade, pat was very excited. We then rode the Jungle Cruise and the Haunted Mansion and watched the hall of Presidents and followed up with Its a Small World. We made our way to the castle for our dinner. First up we had a photo meet and greet with Cinderella and then made our way upstairs. We had a really lovely dinner and met Aurora, Snow White, Ariel and Jasmine. All of them admired my ears! After dinner we made our way down to our reserved seating for the Main Street Electrical Parade which was good use of a fast pass. We then fought our way out and caught the bus home. Unfortunately for the boys the NASCAR race was rained out so they have to go back tomorrow which leaves me with a free day to do whatever I want.....

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:06 am

Unfortunately for the boys the NASCAR race was rained out
LOL - that's what I was doing yesterday, waiting for that race to start, but the weather wouldn't play ball :)

Thanks again for the update Lisa - I'm visualising their day!
Keith

Trip history:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”