Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

We've booked the Fantasy April 2012

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Re: April 2012 Trip

Postby ColinA » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:56 pm

If I was you I would seriously look at buying DVC, the prices of resale couldn't be better and the exchange rate is even better! A good long term investment.

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:57 pm

Why does it take so long for the next trip, seems like forever!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: We've booked the Fantasy April 2012

Postby KeithS » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:06 pm

I see they've unveiled the large figure of Dumbo and Timothy Mouse which will grace the stern of the Fantasy once it begins sailing the Caribbean. It looks great!

Picture came from the Disney Cruise Line Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/DisneyCruiseLine
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: We've booked the Fantasy April 2012

Postby ajp » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:27 pm

Will be getting some photos of that for sure. It will look good and will be something different to what they've had previously.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:38 pm

We're booked at WDW, got the confirmation through this morning. 10 nights at Port Orleans Riverside. Tried something different and got airfares booked through the same package. I was a bit lazy and didn't want to do this leg work myself, so will see how it goes. After 2 nights at DL, we're flying out of LA at 9:30 on the Saturday night and arrive in Orlando at 5:30am Sunday morning. We'll drop our bags off at the room at Royal Pacific, shower, freshen up and hit IOA. We've booked a night that we won't be using, just so we can use the room immediately when we get there.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:05 pm

Sounds good. As long as the flights are with Qantas!

It is funny reading someone else's plans and then realize you are going before them, maybe it just dawned on me it is only 7 weeks before we go.

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:16 pm

The above flights are the internals on AA. We are flying QANTAS over and back (FF flights luckily)

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Anthony, how'd you find booking the seats through FF? It's what we'll be doing for our trip in a few years.

You'll also have to let me know what you think of Riverside, and how cramped you think it will be for a family of five if we decide to go that (cheaper!) route.

I'm jealous of both you and Colin...
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:44 pm

Anthony, how'd you find booking the seats through FF? It's what we'll be doing for our trip in a few years.
It was very much a challenge. We ended up booking the flights in 2 lots to make sure we got close to the flights we wanted. By using "classic" method, the seats disappear quickly for the direct flights. So we booked the flight over straight away when they became available, and then the flights back when they became available. Only downside here was the need to pay US fees and taxes in USD. It is getting harder to book FF flights than it was years ago.
You'll also have to let me know what you think of Riverside, and how cramped you think it will be for a family of five if we decide to go that (cheaper!) route.
I have learnt through working with the TA that there are 2 parts to Riverside. We wanted the Mansions section anyway, but I was informed that the Bayou section is where they put families of 5. I'm looking forward to staying there, we loved French Quarter, so wanted to give this a whirl.

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:07 am

That is good work Anthony to get the award flights.

Booking FF point flights can be a nightmare. We have had flights from Sydney to LA return on points for the last 6 years with success but it is getting harder. depends on the time of the year also. For us it is easy enough to get the flight over in December in economy but mid January we have only ever been able to get business class. To get these award points seats means you need to be flexible with the dates, not that I need any excuse to stay at WDW longer!

This year we have paid and now applied for the upgrade on both the long leg of the flights.

We have friends coming for a two week period to stay with us this year, their return flight on award points goes Orlando, Houston, LA, Nandi, Suva, Auckland and then Sydney. Do night think I would be that desperate!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:37 am

You've said what I came here to add Colin. Most of the flights we wanted this time and in the past have been the "peak" times around our school holidays, which is hard, and depending on the timing of the booking, near on impossible. And when doing the searching, pay very close attention to the number of stops and where. It is easy to get a flight from Sydney-Melbourne-Shanghai-LA, but not so easy direct or even via Auckland only. We were nearly prepared to do Syd-Melb-Auck-LA - nearly ...
We have friends coming for a two week period to stay with us this year, their return flight on award points goes Orlando, Houston, LA, Nandi, Suva, Auckland and then Sydney. Do night think I would be that desperate!
Orlando-Houston-LA would be bearable, but the milk run between LA and Syd, I'm with you, would not be that desperate.

My advice would be, and we did this, is to pick your dates, and when the window opens 355 days out, jump on and try your luck. Start about 2 weeks prior so you know the timing etc, and then on day -355, secure the seats.

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:50 am

Do night think I would be that desperate!

I need to read what I write, should be not, not night LOL

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:04 pm

I think you did well booking for four.

My calculation says 384,000 points, how long did it take you to accumulate them.

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Urgh, I do not like hearing that it's getting harder to book, we'll be trying for five seats. Hopefully I will be able to manage it with a bit of flexibility and a lot of luck.

Colin, we need over 500 000 points for our trip (the exact number escapes me at the moment) but we get nearly all our points from our credit cards and woolies and not from flying. We are over 3/5ths of the way there. It's a horrifying way to discover just how much money we spend!
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:18 pm

92,000 points per person return Sydney to LA on the classic seat award. You would probably get the seats if you are happy to go via Auckland or Brisbane, just check the number of stops. It is a good idea to do test runs.

Any internal flights in the US we pay for.

I also get most of the points from credit card, fortunately being self employed I pay our creditors on Visa and Amex and make the most of it.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”