Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

We've booked the Fantasy April 2012

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

WDW, Disney Fantasy, Disneyland - April 2012 Trip

Postby ajp » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:42 pm

I figured that I would start to discuss our upcoming plans for 2012. The driver behind this trip is the end of school celebration for our eldest daughter. She was given a choice of what she wanted to do, and she decisively came up with Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure. So of course we figured why not do WDW and a cruise (will be discussed in another thread) as well while we're there. :lol:

We were wanting to book a 5 night on the Dream because that's the new ship and we also wanted to do the 2 days at Castaway Cay. But in the back of our minds, 5 nights was still a short cruise. To add to that, the time of year we're going is busy and when we finally booked the return flight (FF points so had to wait), we went and checked availability of the 2 April 5 night cruises and they were sold out. We then looked at the Fantasy (as per suggestions here, thanks!) and we thought why were we even looking at the Dream. A new ship and 7 night cruises and we were sold. We do prefer the longer cruise and love the Formal night as well (chance to "suit up").

So we have booked the 7 night Western Caribbean (Itinerary B) departing April 14. We are on Deck 9 in a balcony cabin, Aft of the ship on the left side (is that starboard?). We decided to go back to the late dining, despite saying last time we'd try the early dining. What swayed it was, the need to not have to rush to get ready for the show and dinner, finish dinner and head straight to a bar for the evening, and the kids will also scoot off straight after dinner as well, so late it was.

The ports of call will be Grand Cayman, Costa Maya and Cozumenl in Mexico and of course Castaway Cay. Although I will admit, the ports on this occassion mean very little. We just want to be on this ship and savour everything that it has to offer. It looks magnificent and we really can't wait. We'll plan to be at port early and ensure we get on as soon as we can. Doing a cruise after Easter at WDW will be so blissful. Bring on April 2012!
Booking at this time of year is an absolute nightmare. We have utilised the services of a very friendly TA (thanks Sandie) and so far with the cruise bookings she has been great. With the rates being released just now, I'm hoping to get something from her in the coming days.

So besides flights and the cruise nothing is booked. But our plans at this stage are to arrive LA and spend 2 nights in Anaheim doing a whirlwind DL trip. We want to catch the new additions, so figured we won't need to be here long. We'll hit the park as soon as we drop our bags, and plan to leave the park 3 days later and jump on a red eye to Orlando. Maximises our time both in DL and in Universal. We'll land in Orlando in the morning, again drop the bags and hit Universal and IOA. We'll stay on site for 3 nights here and make the most of Harry Potter. We then plan 10 nights at WDW before jumping on the cruise. It is Easter so we know it will be heavy. The biggest thing I want to see is the Flower and Garden at EPCOT, so anything outside of that will be crowd management.

As I said nothing is booked, so whilst we'd like to stay at Royal Pacific (Universal) and Riverside at WDW, nothing can be confirmed. I'm excited to be going back, not necessarily because we're going back (which is great), but I'm going back experienced. As a first timer to this area, it was a little daunting, but this time we'll be wiser and be able to better use our time and money.

The weird thing about this time around as opposed to the last trip is the time. I booked a 7 week trip to pretty well the same itinerary in less than 4 weeks. I now am doing a 3 week trip in over 10 months and still feel pressured. And I'm not even doing it myself this time :D . I'll update once I have confirmed more.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: We've booked the Fantasy April 2012

Postby KeithS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:51 pm

I'm loving this trip report already and you haven't even left yet!

The left side of a ship is its port side - starboard is to the right - I always remember because the word PORT has four letters - as does LEFT :D

I'd love to go on the Fantasy - we had a talk about it on Saturday night because Barry and Narelle are going on the maiden voyage in late March - so you should come to a meeting Anthony to compare notes with Barry.

The ship has so many exciting features - I'm with you, I wouldn't care too much for the ports - it would be all about what the ship and Disney have to offer!

I hope you will provide live blogs :)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: April 2012 Trip

Postby churros » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 pm

You must have great stamina Anthony. I can't keep up with just reading the post.

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:33 am

We only had 3 weeks to use Beth, so we sat down and discussed the best way to maximise our time. The age old issues popped up like "well we're there so we can't miss out on x". I have been thinking about the red eye plan and am a little worried about that, but hey, we'll have 7 days to relax at the end.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:40 am

Maiden voyage would be cool to do. But one of the first few is fine with me. 8)

I will set up a live blog again. I've looked back at the old one on a couple of occasions to remind us of a couple of things, so it is handy to do. Although I won't be paying the exorbitant rate that Disney charge on the ship to update. I'll do that when we disembark. And thanks for the correction on Port/Starboard, I'll use that theory next time.

I know that Jess is hanging out for Harry Potter world, but the cruise is what I'm looking forward to the most.

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:36 pm

I know that Jess is hanging out for Harry Potter world, but the cruise is what I'm looking forward to the most.
I don't blame you! I can't wait to hear all about the planning and then the actual cruise. The Dream and Fantasy look absolutely amazing.
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:39 pm

Looking forward to hearing more as you book more. I'm going to feel totally inexperienced by the time I go back so I think I'll be feeling really pressured!
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:16 pm

We do prefer the longer cruise and love the Formal night as well (chance to "suit up").
I don't know what you did last time but I can recommend this place to hire a suit. I hired both Peters and Johns including shoes, ties, sufflinks etc. It came with two shirts and two pairs of new socks.

http://cruiselineformal.com/

You supply a heap of measurements and they fit perfectly but if you do need adjustment they have someone on board. They were waiting in our stateroom when we got on board

Sandie

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Exciting. Our team is still getting over our trip, post disney depression.

I read my trip report as a bed time story to Mia my 3 year old. She loves it.
Rick

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:17 am

Only one treatment for Disney Depression Rick and that is to plan another trip

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:11 am

Only one treatment for Disney Depression Rick and that is to plan another trip
That is definitely the only solution. I'm still in that mode at the moment and I was only there for two and a bit days!

Della and I definitely need to get our act into gear and decide on what we want to do next year.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:17 pm

We'd love to be planning another trip. We have another bubs on the way in September.

No matter how long you go for it always feels like a blink of an eye once your back. But what great memories!

Maybe HK, shorter flight for a new born? :-)
Rick

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:55 am

We'll have another one planned either before or during the one. We're always looking at what cruises are available and considering Em has hinted she'd like to see Hawaii for her end of school we may just do Aulani (is that how it's spelt?).

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:19 pm

All sounds good Anthony, you will know what to expect this time. Aulani is correct, Leanne booked on points on Saturday night at the 7 month window, we thought it was a good idea to break the trip up, not sure I could handle the long flight home from LA in economy. Being over Easter I would be booking ASAP.

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:05 pm

Aulani won't be until 2013 at the earliest when Em does her HSC, ao we have a bit of time for that. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after you've been.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”