Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Trip Report - WDW 2011

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Re: Trip Report

Postby ColinA » Sun May 08, 2011 9:48 am

Yak and Yeti I would think is the dining you visited in AK. The funny part is with Americans thinking they want to visit Australia the only thing they know about it is what they have seen on Crocodile Dundee, often we have seen them just listening to you talk as they love our accent.

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Sun May 08, 2011 1:32 pm

Day 5

Today I let everyone have a sleep in so instead of 7:30 start everyone had to be ready at 8:00, generous aren't I. We rode the shuttle bus again, being a friday the bus was packed, i'm glad we have a rest day tomorrow as if its this busy on a friday it would be a be nightmare on the weekends.

At the park everyone soon realised why i always want to get to the parks early. Rock and Roll we got fp's (60 min wait), then rode toy story mania (50 min wait). It was hard going keeping the kids entertained, Mia is 4 and Eve is 2. They loved Mr Potato head, if only they had more of this type of entertainment along the line. The ride was fun though, my right hand was saw afterwards, its important to have he highest score isn't it?

We rode rock and roll after this and boy what a roller coaster, it was great, that initial take off was great. Very rare for a disney coaster to have loops. Lots of fun.

Tot fp's were already out to 6:30 and it was only 11:30am! We got them any way as its a must ride. It for the traditional Disney trip Turkey Legs and boy were they huge. I said to the girl, sorry i ordered the turkey leg, not the dinosaur leg.

The park being so busy we didnt get through all rides but did get to The little mermaid, Play house Disney live (a real favorite for the kids), and Beauty and the Beast. Mias favorite Disney movie is b and b so when Belle came on stage she was all, hi belle, hi.... so cute!

We had dinner at Hollywood and Vine with the Fantasmic priority seats and whilst it was expensive the food was great. Its buffet style but as quality was excellent.

Tot fast passes were ready and whilst we had just eaten it was worth the risk as this tot is the best! The ride longer, more dropd, quicker in both directions giving you more weightless time. Fantastic! We rode twice.

Off to Fantasmic, we knew it would be worth the wait but Disney please, you have thousands of your guests sitting their for an hours looking at a blank stage, some pre show entertainment would be good. I think they purposely bore you just so you purchase one of the glow toys, it worked as when the lights went off the crowd iluminated in flashing lights.

A great day! We come back and finish the rest another day. Maybe a half day...

Day 6 - rest day.

Today we woke at 10am, had breakfast and cruised around Millenia Mall. Some nice shops, Everything is so cheap here in the US at the moment. We didnt buy much but it was a time filler. We spent the rest of the day at the pool and off to Hooters for dinner. It was Nana's choice.....lol... it was good, my 12 year old nephew LOVED it. Food was good, service was excellent.

Off to sleep, Epcot tomorrow, Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers....
Rick

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun May 08, 2011 3:14 pm

the traditional Disney trip Turkey Legs
You seriously eat them? :shock:
We rode rock and roll after this and boy what a roller coaster, it was great, that initial take off was great. Very rare for a disney coaster to have loops. Lots of fun
Yep, awesome ride this, I love it! Agree with you take on the TOT as well.

Fantasmic is good, but I do prefer the one at DL.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun May 08, 2011 3:54 pm

and off to Hooters for dinner. It was Nana's choice.....lol... it was good, my 12 year old nephew LOVED it.
Haha - I don't know what I laughed at most with this line - your Nana, or your nephew!

Thanks for the great updates - I love Rockin Roller Coaster too - it rocks!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Mon May 09, 2011 12:58 pm

Day 7. Epcot

Being a Sunday and Mothers day we knew the park would be busy but with the use of fast passes we managed to see everything we wanted to.

Ellen's Energy Adventure we all really enjoyed, Mia loved the Dinosaurs of course. Test Track we used fast pass, Mia cried the first time, then out of the blue want to go on it again, then didnt, then wanted a toy car. I said girls that cry on rides dont get toys, so she again asked to ride again, we did and this time she loved it. Go figure.

We ate lunch in Italy, amazing food, probably the nicest food we've had yet. Highly recommend this restaurant.

You certainly walk a lot at Epcot! This place is huge, mainly for adults I would say. Half way through the day Bailey (12) wanted to go back to the hotel for a swim. Not enough action packed rides. An Everest type ride would be good.

Dinner was at Nine Dragons, it was ok, beware of msg if it effects you. Melbourne has much better Chinese restaurants but its like a tradition for mothers day type events.

Fireworks at the end of the day were great, the lights, the globe, ended they day really well.

Instead of D Head of the day I'll leave you with some funny things said over the past couple of days.

Mia "Are we at Apricot?"

Nana, "I want to go on the train ride that goes around the outside of the park with the Dinosaurs today" The rest of us, "Different park, different country" (Japan, Disneyland, Railroad.

Niki, "Which one is the pasta?" Andrea, "The one that says Pasta".

Mia "Why does that man have a baby in his tummy?"

Mia "Why is that mans head black?"

Nana, "Only one of us isn't a mother". The rest of us. Ahhh Niki, Bay, Rick?

Nana, "his not a male his a boy!".
Rick

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Tue May 10, 2011 7:12 am

Thanks for the updates Rick, sounds like you are making the most of it. Some funny comments there, like the Apricot one!

Which dining did you do in Italy, Tutto Italia Ristorante or Via Napoli.

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Tue May 10, 2011 11:19 am

Via Napoli. Very nice.

Day 8. Seaworld half day, rest the other.

Having not been to Seaworld before in Florida I was looking forward to it. Crowds were light which made riding Mantra really easy. What a coaster!!!!!!!!! Never been on anything like it. A must for coaster lovers.

The string rays were really interactive, you can feed and pat the as they swim (the look like their flying) by. The texture is soft and smooth. Very cool.

The temp was a real killer today so getting soaked on Atlantis was welcomed although unexpected as it wasnt the main drop so it was really funny and unexpected.

We were ten meters away from the Shamu Show and the announced it was full. Dam! The tickets allow us to get in tomorrow so we'll go back.

Kobe for dinner. Love this place! Awesome food and really entertaining.

Rest day tomorrow the in the afternoon we'll check out shamu.... God I Love Orlando!!!!

:-)
Rick

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Tue May 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Crowds were light which made riding Mantra really easy. What a coaster!!!!!!!!! Never been on anything like it. A must for coaster lovers.
It's awesome isn't it? I thought my family were coaster lovers until they didn't like this, but I reckon it's up there as one of the best (although I haven't been to 6 flags for a while). Are you going to Universal? The new one there (forget the name), is equally as good, but a different type.
I found the ring in the concrete.
I'll admit to not having a clue as to what this was when you first said it Rick, until I belatedly caught up on the Miceage news - now I know, and am keen on finding it myself and the other items on the alternative entrance. Sounds cool.

Loving your updates too, keep them coming - and agree with your assessment of Orlando as well.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Tue May 10, 2011 1:30 pm

Via Napoli. Very nice.
I love the way the Pizzas are supported by the metal frames, a bit risky, saw one land on the floor while we were there.

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Day 9.

Today we woke when we woke, and whilst that sounds funny, it was needed. Holidays like this are never relaxing but the right balance of rest days vs theme park days is super important. The weather is SO hot. 35 feels like 40 in the sun which makes it very challenging. Water in take, sunscreen, energy levels, it really pays to have rest days.

The pool at the hotel is great, at $195 a night it's very good value, for 18 nights it all adds up and I must say, the hotel is providing everything we need.

As we missed out on Shamu yesterday we took a taxi van back to Seaworld for Shamu, we waited an hour and my was it worth it. These giant animals are fantastic. A real must if you haven't seen the show. The dolphin show was good yesterday but the sheer size of the killer whale was amazing.

After Shamu we had dinner again at T-Rex, Mia just can't get enough of the dinosaurs!

Tomorrow is Universal Studios Islands of Adventure... Harry here we come!
Rick

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri May 13, 2011 4:47 pm

The weather is SO hot. 35 feels like 40 in the sun which makes it very challenging.
Wow - I didn't realise it got that hot in early May. I might have to revise my plans for 2013 and go a little earlier - late March, early April.

Hope you enjoy Harry Potter Rick - I've can't wait to go there!
Keith

Trip history:

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Fri May 13, 2011 11:02 pm

Day 10.

8:30 pick up and off to see harry! We ditched our original transfer company as they charged us 85 to goto seaworld when the taxi van company we have been using to go shopping only charged us 40! Amazing how easy it is to get ripped, only once though. We have found a taxi guy that has been really reliable and charges a reasonable rate.

The driver suggested he drops us off at Portofino Hotel the catch a short ferry, lovely hotel. It worked well, less working and something different, certainly avoided the rush of people going the other way.

Whilst we went straight to Harry the wait was already 45 minutes, it gives you the illusion it moves quick but the line is huge!

If your a Harry fan the attention to detail is amazing. Even though it was one of the longest waits yet it was worth it, i wont spoil it hut its worth the wait.

Much to Nanas disapointment Jurassic Park was close for some reason, she loves this ride. It did stop us from buying MORE dinosaurs for Mia though.

After luch in the harry area which was surprisingly decent everyone chickened on Dragons except Nikaela and I, we rode the blue first of thought OMG what a coaster, the rode the red immediately after and WOW, this is THE sickest, fastest, roller coaster! So many loops and twists at amazing speeds... Favorite Coaster hands done!

Mia and I rode the hippogriffe rollercoaster, just when i thought she was going to cry at the end she refused to get out of the seat because she wanted to ride again. We have the VIP Express tickets she it was easy to go on a few more times.

We found a nice bar to purch nana with the sleeping kids out of the sun, then rode Spiderman, other than being rougher than what i thought i really enjoy this ride, a lot of the ideas for the harry ride come from spiderman. Then onto the raft ride, and boy do you get wet, I remembered the ride from last time so i took my shoes and socks off, and for good reason. The only way to get more wet would jave been to take a shower fully clothed! We enjoyed it so much we went round and round and round. So funny watching dry people squirm in their seats at to start to avoid little splashes....before long they are soaked!!!

Dinner was at Hard Rock, a tradition, we get the glasses to take back. They have an amazing touch screen system, it would have to be 10 meters wide.

Back to the hotel and off to Magic Kingdom tomorrow!
Rick

Tigger71
B Ticket
B Ticket

Postby Tigger71 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:47 am

Great to hear you guys are having so much fun!

Can you please share your taxi van details? I have a grand gathering of 16px going in Sept and the shopping day is proving difficult as the women want to ditch the men (the drivers of the rental cars) but still need transport to the outlets...

Also did you get into T-rex without an ADR? (I've been trying for Sept but fully booked at the times I would be able to go) I'm just wondering if they hold any tables for walkins?

Thanks for writing such a detailed TR.
Past Disney vacations...

DLR - 1995, 1998, 2002, 2015, 2016
DLP - 1998, 2013
WDW - 2005, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2017
TDR - 2010, June 2012
HKD - 2010, Oct 2012, 2015
DCL - 2013,2015
Aulani - 2015
SDR - 2017

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 am

If your a Harry fan the attention to detail is amazing.
I am I am!!! I want to go!

Thanks for the trip reports Rick - we are loving each day of updates!
Keith

Trip history:

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Sun May 15, 2011 11:22 am

Ok, so for t rex we have now been twice the wait without a booking adds probably 20-30 minutes. Its worth the wait though, the place is amazing. We loved it each time. And of course Mia loved every second looking at the dinosaurs, she even got to make her own.

Re the Taxi contact, his number is +14072380000. Really good driver, if he cant be there within 20 minutes he will organize another. His been very reliable, knows all the back ways, good recommendations, calls go directly to him and not though a dispatch.
Rick

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”