Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Trip Report - WDW 2011

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Re: Trip Report

Postby RickGainsmith » Sun May 15, 2011 11:50 am

Day 11. Magic Kingdom, the most magical place on earth.

We woke again for a 7:30 start, and straight to MK for breakfast at Crystal Palace. Whilst they were only accepting disney resort guests I told them of our 9:15 book at Crystal Palace and went straight through. Perhaps a loop hole to get in early?

Whilst the general public weren't in the park yet i could see why its recommended not to got a park thats set to earth magic hours. The place was teaming with guests.

Straight to CP we were seated within 15 minutes. The food was fantastic, many of the character dining places we have been the food has been terrible, this one is the exception. Couldnt pick a fav dish, they all were great.

The characters were from Pooh, Tigger showed particular interest to Mia, dancing and skipping around the restaurant holding Mia's hand. She loved it!

I wish I had of thought to getting a FP whilst everyone was eating, as once we had finished we headed for Jungle Cruise. 45 minutes we waited. Its a fun ride though, "Attention guests, we are sorry to inform you the jungle cruise has not broken down"... fav annoucment whilst waiting in line. Its these little things that make Disney magical.

After this wait I went into Fast Pass mode and got fast passes for Splash Mountain, then rode its a small world. We have the 4 and 2 year old so we rode twice whilst the others rode Haunted Mansion. I could get Fast Passes again so I got them for Peter Pan. Kids started to get tired so we headed out of the park and back to he hotel for a rest. We ,ust have just kissed a bus as it felt like forever to wait.

After a short sleep, we were back to the park once more, it closes at 11 so splitting the day made a lot of sense. And we have our Fast Passes to use still. Remember, disney cast members only care about the start, not the end, it may look like you have missef the return window but they dont care. A good tip to collect fast passes as soon as you can.

Dimner was booked at 6:30 which I thought was fine but he Liberty Tavern had us waiting for over an hour! With the Electrical parade at 9 and planning to use our FP for Splash Mountain I got pretty upset at the cast member. Every hour counts and to be wasting them on something i booked months ago really peed me off. We had a booking! Anyway, the eventually gave me a Fast Pass compensation form. Cool, lobe Fast Passes! Food was ok, its hard to find nice food for lunch and dinner at MK.

We found a good spot for the electrical parade and those that could and wanted tobwe ran to Splash to ride before the parade. Splash Mountain is a great ride, even though it broke down a few times only for a few minutes we really enjoyed it. In fact it was a really good time to ride, the darkness really made the ride better.

Running back to our spot we were mere minutes from the parade start.

The BEST electrical parade, Tokyo was good, but MK's is even better. Only thing missing was beauty in the beast floats which is Mia's fav princess. Cinderella played a big part, the entire story was played out in floats. Fantasic!

As soon as the parade finished we rushed to get a spot to see the Castle. OMG what a magical show. I have never seen anything like it, Disney has somehow made it possible to project the entire castle onto the castle and make it change. You jave to see it, its hard to explain. Bricks were crashing out, top of the castle turned into buzz's rocket and launched, the entire castle looked like it was drawn by crayons, just amazing. SO SO AMAZING! Ohh, and all the photopass photos during the day were projected onto the castle so make sure you keep your eyes out for your photo!

Then the firworks started!!! Fantastic, I cant describe all the emotions and enjoyment experienced. What a great show!

Time to sleep, rest day tomorrow...
Rick

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Mon May 16, 2011 11:49 am

Day 12.

Today was a real rest day, Natalia felt some tightness in her tummy and thats always a sign a pregnant person needs to rest, and rest we did. We spent all day either sleeping or swimming in the pool, it was good because for some reason the pool was soooooo warm.

As some of our team didn't come last time we went to Kobe we went again that night, and again our eyes were bigger than our bellies! Even so it was soooo good, the food is great.

Day 13. Animal Kingdom.

Today we decided it was best to higher a motorised scooter for Natalia and whilst initially she felt silly it was the best thing we could have done for her. No walking. Mia wanted to ride the triceratops ride again so i went ahead and got FPs for Kali. Its amazing how much time you save with Fast Passes.

We had a small lunch and Yak and Yeti as tonight we have Medieval Times booked. We rode Kali, Everest, and saw Nemo and that filled the day, amazing how much time gets chewed up! Ohhh, and Dinosaur, this time Mia was ready, she wanted me to tell her when the mean dinosaur was was going to roar at her and she was going to roar back. Roar she did, and by all accounts really enjoyed the ride. A vast improvement on the crying of last time.

Our taxi man picked us up from AK, drove us back to our hotel,waited 10 monutes and we were off again.

Medieval Times, what a great show, we really got into the spirit. Its hard not to, everyone is yelling and screaming for their knights. Mia was chosen as the Queen Of Love and Beauty by our knight which created an expensive photo purchase but very cute. Our knight ended up coming second. Overall we all really enjoyed the night, the food was good and the show was exciting. A must...

Day 14. Universal Studios.

Again our reliable taxi man took us to universal, this time dropping us off at the Hard Rock hotel and catching the ferry. Very quick and very little people do it. Straight to the scooter rentals again Natalia was set for the day with no soreness at all the previous day. For those that are interested it costs $60 or a day.

First was Shrek 4D and nothing has changed, even Queenslands is the same. I think its time they update. Next was Rockit Roller Coaster. We took the single rider lined and saved around 30 minutes. Who has a conversation on a rollercoaster anyhow? The coaster is great, i scored front row which was amazing, it goes up vertically then drops almost the same. Not as quick as the dragons at islands of adventure but really tight corners increase the g forces. I also like that you can choose you own music when you sit down, Pump It by Black Eyed Peas was a good choice...

Kids liked the kiddie area, but Eve (2 year old) took a real liking to ET! She now has her own. :-)

MIB was fun, I like the shooting type rides.

Jaws was ok, I spent half the time shielding Eve from the flames, man they are hot. Left side of the boat really cops it...

We had lunch at the seafood place on the lake, the clam chowder is to die for.

The mummy ride is one our favorite ride so we went round and round and round. Its not the best coaster but really fun. Makes you want to watch the movie again. Ohh the entrance line is really dark and spookie so i coundnt help myself and scared Nikaela, boy did she scream... it was so funny.

The remainder of the day we spent at Islands of Adventure, going on all our favorites again.

Best Coasters Of The Holiday
1. Red Dragon
2. Blue Dragon
3. Manta
4. Everest
5. Hulk
6. Rock It
7. Rock n Roll
9. The Mummy
10. Mountain Rail Road

Everyone has to try the butter beer at Harry Potter world, imagine drinking a rainbow paddle pop, thats what ot tastes like. Very nice.

Tomorrow we are off to Hollywood Studios. Getting to the end of our trip, I can feel the depression of a post disney trip coming on... Capture the moments, make every second count!
Rick

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon May 16, 2011 8:22 pm

Today was my first chance to read your trip reports Rick having been away for the last 2 weeks myself. I am really enjoying them and just want to go back to WDW! Keep them coming!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon May 16, 2011 9:22 pm

I am really enjoying them and just want to go back to WDW!
Yep - that's what I'm feeling too!

Between Rick's, Colin's, and Sandie's trip reports over the last few months, I've never felt more like wanting to go back. I'll have to wait another 20 months or so I think. :( I just need to save up the annual leave!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Wed May 18, 2011 9:26 am

Between Rick's, Colin's, and Sandie's trip reports over the last few months, I've never felt more like wanting to go back. I'll have to wait another 20 months or so I think. :( I just need to save up the annual leave!
Thanks for the updates Rick, we all enjoy the news from our favourite place.

Plenty more trip reports to come Keith!Less than 7 months to the next visit.

Its funny I often say to my wife, lets go to Cape May cafe for breakfast, she says I wish! have to wait till next visit. She does enjoy booking the dining 6 months out and that starts soon.

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Wed May 18, 2011 11:19 am

Lets not forget about Anthony's blog and photo adventure!

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Wed May 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Day 15.

Late yesterday our digital camera with 1524 photos on board decided to corupt our flash card. Hoping it would work if I put it into a computer I got a taxi to Walmart (open 24 hours) to get a card reader.

I tried everything, didnt work, Windows was requesting me to format the card. OMG... We'll we have to start the trip all over again? :-) I searched the internet, downloaded 3 different programs, first didn't work, second didn't work, third, you beauty! All 1524 photos back. Great! I was sweating to say the least.

A quick breakfast later and off to Hollywood Studios to finish what we missed last time and do our favorites again.

I asked if Star Tours 2 might be doing test runs and they said it was opening on the 20th, but to walk past just in case they run test flights, so off we went in hope... YES THEY WERE!!!! How cool!!! When we were at Liberty Tree Tavern they gave us a compo Fast Pass we could use anywhere in DW so I pulled it out and avoided everyone else wanting a test flight!

The ride is exellent, apparently its different every time you ride, different starts, different middles, and even different ends so that each time you ride its unique. The entry line has been upgraded, the screens inside the simulator have been upgraded (now 3d). I cant be sure but it feels like a longer ride. Very action packed. Loved it.

We made sure we watched the stunt car show, always amazes me how good these drivers are. Just amazing.

Lunch was nice, we had Italian, the restaurant was really quiet hidden, close to the entrance of the car show.

To finish the day off we rode Rock n Rollercoaster and TOT again. It is THE best TOT. The ride sequence has apparently been upgraded since we rode in 2005 and I can tell the difference, the amount of weightlessness you feel now is fantastic. Love it!

Our Taxi guy recommended Ale House for dinner and we werent disapointed. The waiter was a lot of fun, food was lovely and the price was very reasonible. Pretty much everything is cheap just out of DW.

Last day at Magic Kingdom tomorrow.

Day 16.

First off we had a booking at 9:20am for breakfast with the Princesses in the castle. Firstly a photo with Cinderalla then off upstairs to our table. The breakfast itself was pretty average, the food was just warm and for the price you would expect better. I guess your here for the princesses. They didnt disapoint, every princess was fantastic, they were very good with the kids and spent a good amount of time with us. Its so worth it seeing Mias eyes light up when her favorite princess Belle comes to the table.

Always thinking 2-3 rides ahead we always held Fast Passes, especially getting them before breakfast and lunch. We managed to fit in;
Peter Pan
Haunted Mansion Twice (the updates are fantastic on this ride, it really makes you think, how do they do that!?!?!)
Thunder Mountain Rail Road Twice
Round Trip on the Steam Train
Splash Mountain
Winne The Pooh (again, updated, the line is great, very interactive, touch screen honey screen. Very cool).
Buzz Lightyear (Nat kicked my butt, 369700!)
Monsters Inc Laugh Floor (Mia was picked to take the part of Boo)
A LOT of shopping. I could hardly lift the enormous bags they gave us!

The IT happend. Yep, the time had come to say good bye, we stood at the end of Main Street gazing upon the most amazing Castle and took a minutes grace to thank the Disney gods for creating such a wonderful place to experience and for giving us such amazing memories.

Thank You Disney! We've had a Magical Day!
Rick

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed May 18, 2011 1:49 pm

The IT happend. Yep, the time had come to say good bye, we stood at the end of Main Street gazing upon the most amazing Castle and took a minutes grace to thank the Disney gods for creating such a wonderful place to experience and for giving us such amazing memories.
Well said Rick.

Great recovery on the photos too. That would have been such a shame to have lost them. Technology is great but it can bite hard too.

You did well getting a soft opening ride on Star Tours. I can't wait to see it, love the whole Star Wars thing.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Wed May 18, 2011 5:41 pm

I didn't see any mention of my favourite Mickey's Philharmagic! You might have missed it.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed May 18, 2011 6:03 pm

Love the newsy updates Rick... :D

That would have been amazing doing a test flight... -/

But almost losing that quantity of photos almost made my heart stop.... :shock: nice save...

Lisa.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed May 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Late yesterday our digital camera with 1524 photos on board decided to corupt our flash card.
I gasped at this - I thought the same thing had happened to my Hong Kong photos when I got home but it was just my card reader!
I searched the internet, downloaded 3 different programs, first didn't work, second didn't work, third, you beauty!
You'll have to let us know which one it was that saved them!
I asked if Star Tours 2 might be doing test runs and they said it was opening on the 20th, but to walk past just in case they run test flights, so off we went in hope... YES THEY WERE!!!! How cool!!!
Now that is TOTALLY AWESOME!!! I hope I get a test flight in Disneyland when I go!
Great sentiment - I have a love/hate moment every time I leave - one part sad that I have to leave, but the other part still happy because I'm still standing in Main Street and have had a wonderful time. :D
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

churros
Annual Pass