Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Trip Report - WDW 2011

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Trip Report - WDW 2011

Postby RickGainsmith » Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Day 1 - Travel Day

Travelled with United Airlines from Melbourne, Sydney, San Francisco, Orlando. The flight was just an ok, to my disappointment their was no entertainment in the back of the seats. How they can get away with this on a 14 hr flight I can't understand. It was cheaper than Qantas I must admit.

Kids flew really well, the cares kid seat belts worked a treat, and constant supply of snacks worked really well. The amazing planning and organization of my wife is second to none, great job Nat!

iPads worked well with the kids, the huge travel day ran them both flat and and the two external back up batteries, I would never travel with out them, especially considering the lack of entertainment provided on United.

The transfer company (Dixielimo.com), was waiting for us at baggage, very nice driver, very helpful. The airport baggage handler scoffed when I tipped him, apparently $10 isn't enough for pushing a trolley. I hate the tipping system here, how much is enough, not enough, I ended up giving him $15, but the driver said that's their ploy, $1 per bag is standard.

We arrived at the Holiday Inn Downtown Disney at around 11:45pm, keys and rooms were waiting. Rooms were as expected, large, clean, comfy beds, and a great view of DTD.

D-Head of the day goes to Nikaela and Andrea, with in five minutes they locked themselves out of their room.

Day 2

Right now I'm enjoying the comfy bed and the hotels free wifi on my iPad to the background music of the kids snoring. It's just after 9am and all we have planned for the day is a 1pm lunch at T-Rex. Mia love dinosaurs so she's going to flip at this place.

Eve's awake, back later...
Rick

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Trip Report

Postby Mel » Wed May 04, 2011 11:25 am

Bugger about the no inflight entertainment. I've only flown United a few times and have been less than impressed. Yay for the iPads saving the day!

I hate tipping too. In fact, on my first adult trip to the US, we were running to stop bell boys, porters or anybody else we could do without just so we didn't have to worry about tipping/not tipping too much :lol:

Enjoy your first, relaxing day :)
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed May 04, 2011 1:30 pm

I also agree with the tipping thing. I get in trouble from my wife sometimes for not tipping enough, but it is hard to know.

My daughter flew United with the school earlier this year, and she also said the lack of seat back entertainment was frustrating. I think we become spoilt as technology improves and becomes more widespread. We never complained about the central screens when it was all that was available, but now we expect it. And rightly so! :lol:

Enjoy the first day proper Rick, and keep them coming.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed May 04, 2011 7:22 pm

Thanks Rick - we love the daily travel updates - keep them coming!
I also agree with the tipping thing. I get in trouble from my wife sometimes for not tipping enough, but it is hard to know.
And I get in trouble for tipping too much (even though I don't think I am tipping too much - arrghhhh it is so confusing!)

I read a review about United Airlines flights to the US on news.com.au and they were saying the same thing - the lack of inflight entertainment system (including in business!) was a real downside, but service and endless snacks were welcome.

I'll stick with Qantas for the time being (as long as they don't go on strike!)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Wed May 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Continuation of Day 2.

As it turns out there was a few other contenders for d head of the day yesterday. Nana put on her new head phones and turned to Nikki, their not working she said, Nikki looked, Nana you haven't plugged them in! Lol

On the way to Downtown Disney we checked out the Hilton as I knew they had a star bucks, need the coffee fix! Just when you thought you were buying a healthy snak for the kids in the form of cut apple slices you open the container and they include caramel dipping sauce....oh America... Natalia also purchased a peanut butter sandwich, crust already removed and sealed with a press like a hot pocket, they must look at every aspect of life and think, how can I make this more apealing to the laziness of our society.

After some shopping at the World Of Disney we met our 1pm booking a T-Rex, what am amazing restaurant. Mia being obsessed with all things dinosaur just loved it. All the common dinosaurs are their, animatroniclly moving, an ice cave, a build your own Dino area, and every 10 minutes a mini show which give young real head spin. It's like eating in the middle of a Dinosaur ride.

Still adjusting to the time difference we all went back to the room, not before filling half our spare case with all things Disney... ;-).

I tried to stay awake with a swim but found myself struggling to stay awake!

Day 3
It's my birthday! What would you do on your birthday?

Magic kingdom
Hoop de doo
Fireworks
Princesses
Pirates
Aliens

Can't wait! It's 6am, I figure we have a big breakfast, catch the 8:30am shuttle to MK. Leave MK around 3:30 for Hoop de doo, back to MK for more rides...
Rick

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed May 04, 2011 8:42 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICK! Hell of a way to spend it. I hope you got yourself a birthday button.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed May 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Happy Birthday Rick... That must be the best birthday ever -/ -/

really enjoying the updates. :)
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu May 05, 2011 8:29 am

It's my birthday! What would you do on your birthday?
We are all jealous now - great way to spend your birthday!

Love your D Head of the day comments too!

I can't wait to go back to WDW - the T-Rex restaurant sounds like a must-see!
Keith

Trip history:

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Thu May 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Happy Birthday Rick!!!! I love Hoop Dee Doo, what a fabulous way to spend your birthday!

TRex sounds awesome. Definitely on the to-do list for our next trip.

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Thu May 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Happy Birthday Rick.

You could have taken all of us to carry your bags, then you would be $15 richer!

No way would I be getting up at 6.30am, takes about 2 weeks before we get up at 8.30, while we are at WDW we tend to stay up late with the extra hours and get up late.

Enjoy your time, it will be all over too quick.

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Fri May 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Day 3 continuation.

My birthday! Again we woke at 7, down for breakfast at the hotel which is small buffet but everything you need. Eggs anywayn you want including omlettes. John our server each day is really nice and helpful although he was sure you could catch the monorail for magic kingdom at Downtown Disney... I'm like are you sure!?!?

Catching the bus fro our hotel was easy enough, well easy if we didn't have 2 prams, sorry, we're in the USA now, strollers. Luckily our hotel is one of the first stops so we tend to have plenty of room which is good, by the fourth or fifth hotel it fills up.

Arrived at Magic Kingdon and headed straight for the kids rides as both kids were awke, buzz light year (83700, which I thought was alreight until Bailey my nephew told me he got 500 od thousand). Off to stitch which Mia was a little scared of, probably recommend to skip for kids under 4. Then the adults rode space mountain which had some new additions to any other space mountain, the que to the ride has lots of interactive games to place as you wait. Big screens with space ships your can control the launch then you have three buttons, left right and one for the rockets. You control the space ship to dock with another station. Pretty cool when it's busy, fortunately we have come at a really good time as no wait line has been more than 15minutes.

This is the time things started to head south. Everyone was still very effected by the time difference and the Kids were starting to morph into uncontrollable nightmares.

Pirates Mia didn't like the slide, kept crying though out the ride. For one of my favorites I'd have say it was a little disappointing, tokyos is so much better. DL's is better. I'll ride again another day as maybe it's just the lack of sleep??!

The rest of the day was more of e sme, it was likes we were in a theme park, not the most magical place on earth. We kept pushing ourselves to stay awake but we were more like zombies than Disney fans.

We rode on mountain rail road, which is always fun, then off to haunted mansion, which is THE best haunted mansion by far. The new upgrades are great! I found the ring in the concrete. Some will know what I mean.

At 3:30 we left by boat to Hoop Dee Doo revue, what a way to improve the day. Gee I love that show. It's a real must!

Overall I know why I usually don't usually schedule such big days so early on in the holiday, but I though what better way to spend your birthday. In hind site we should of slept in, toto MK for a couple of hrs, hoop dee do, then home. Oh well, it was still great.

Day 4 Animal Kingdom. To be continued, I have to get ready for Disneys Hollywood Studios, REST day for day 6!
Rick

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sat May 07, 2011 7:53 am

John our server each day is really nice and helpful although he was sure you could catch the monorail for magic kingdom at Downtown Disney
I think John may have been taking the .. err .. Mickey out of you Rick. But that's his job I suppose and a good way of getting familiar and making contact.

It can be a tiring place to try and rush around that's for sure. But glad you're still having fun regardless of the pace and exhaustion. If you can't go to bed buggered, I suppose you're not trying hard enough!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat May 07, 2011 8:23 am

If you can't go to bed buggered, I suppose you're not trying hard enough!
Yep - that's our philosophy too!

And while you may have thought the day was tough - it was better than getting up at 6:30am, catching the train to the City, sitting in an office all day, then catching the train home at 5:00pm - that was my day! :D
Keith

Trip history:

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Sat May 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Day 4

Animal Kingdom.

Today was a great day, we all woke feeling better and with any luck getting use to the time difference. Transport again from the hotel was very easy with bus only half full. People on are really friendly on the bus, it seems like everyone always wants to talk. American thing I guess. They first think we are from the UK but then when we say Australia they all say they'd love to visit. Why I don't know, no Disney parks in oz!

Mia loves Dinosaus so the family walked to Dino Land whilst I ran ahead and got fast passes for Everest. We rode the triceratops ride which is one of Mias favorite dinosaurs then onto DINOSAUS the ride. We struggled to get her onto the ride, the 102 cm requirment was touch and go. Especially when Mia continually crouched over getting smaller each time the cars member measured her. We got on and Mia really loved the start. Then the Carnosaurous came out and spoiled the party. He is pretty scary. To make her feel better we bought her some Dinosaurs and immediately stopped crying. Amazing how toys fix everything.

By this time our fast passes were ready to use and skipped a 30 min wait and went straight on...what a ride! The g forces on this ride are amazing. A must ride! No other Disney coaster or any other I have been on gives you the same experience.

I ran ahead and got fast passes again, this time for the Safari, this was a 90 min wait. Our thoughts were to ride Kali river but I didn't want to get wet before lunch so we had lunch at a really nice restaurant close to the entrance of Kali, they serve Asian food Inc dim sims, fried rice, rice cups (San chou bow), really nice food.

After lunch we rode the Safari, unfortunately they had a breakdown or something so even the FP line was a fair wait, nothing like the or al line though so it was good to have the FP's. We noticed the story had changed a little since 2005, no shot mother elephant, better I think.

Lion King Show was again great, same show as HK but still very good. Mia was picked to go on stage and run around with the cast members, great photo op. She could have gone out twice, the first time the asked she was scared and said no, then cried because she changed her mind. Go figure. Luckily she got to go out in the end.

Dinner was at Boma, at Animal Kingdom Lodge, this Hotel is HUGE, so if you are going to Boma get off at the Jumbo area, it's about a 450km walk if you get off on the first AK lodge bus drop off, at least it feels like it after a day at the largest theme park in the world!

Great day, great times! With expedition Everest this is quickly becoming one of my favorite parks! Good Job Disney!

The most disapointing part was no d head of the day. Amazing!

Day 5. Disney Hollywood Studios. Continue tomorrow, 11:15pm and I'm dead!
Rick

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Sat May 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Another great day Rick! I don't blame Mia, I get scared on Dinosaur too :) How old is she?

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”