Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

The Morthens Do Orlando (and the Caribbean) - Dec 2010

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Our Trip 2010/2011

Postby sandie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:41 am

Well the list is quiet and I am surprsingly unmotivated about this trip at the moment - I think getting up at 5 am and getting home at 6 pm is strating to take its toll! So maybe this will get some posts going and motivate me at the same time!!!!

Originally Peter and John were going to go to NYC for a week but Peter is uncomfortable about travelling alone so they will stay in Orlando for the whole time. To be frank this has pissed Eloise off immensely!!! My friend from Delaware and her two daughers will be in WDW for a week overlapping with us so for that week Eli and I will spend the whole day with them and the boys will meet up with us for dinner and later. This will give them an opportunity to do a lot of non Disney things. Of course this means John doesn't get his NYC trip which was meant to be the equivelent of Eli's Tokyo trip so i am thinking in Oct 2011 when he is 13 we might have to do a four day weekend trip to Hong Kong.

We can not leave until the 16th December as I don't want John to miss out on his end of year 6 celebrations and we only have a little over four weeks as Peter is rstricted on what leave he can take at this time of the year. So here is what we have so far:

December:
16: Leave Syndey - not sure who we are flying yet.
16-25: Staying at Universal - you can not beat the front of the line passes. Whilst here we will also do NASA, Seaworld, Aquatica and do a couple of days at Disney parks too as well as Cirque. I am planning for Christmas lunch to be at one of the Universal Hotels. I am tossing up between which hotyels - we have already stayed at Hard Rock and there is a $700 price difference on the other two for the length of stay.

On the 26th we will check out and move over to the Port Orleans Riverside. On the 26th itself we will also head to Daytona where Peter will do the Richard Petty Experience on a real track - this is his Christmas present. My friend arrives on teh 28th and will stay until the 2nd January. Appreciating that these are going to be very busy days the "girls" as a collective will do one park each day and the boys will meet us for dinner and night time stuff. During the day they will do fun things such as visit NASA with a friend who works there, an air museum and I am trying to convince Peter that John should be allowed to do a ride along in a Tiger Moth or similiar.

January.
Up until the 8th which is when we will board our Disney Cruise (Western Iteniary). During this time it will be mostly Disney Parks although we will probably head out to do some shopping etc.

We return from the cruise on the 15th which is a Saturday so I guess teh kids and I will head to MK and Peter will get one last trip to Old Town. Our final full day is the 16th which we will spend at Epcot and we come home on the 17th. For these few days I think we will stay at an EPCOT resort.

Any comments?

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Our Trip 2010/2011

Postby sandie » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:02 am

Ok after nights of hard work I have a draft iteniary:

Wednesday 15th December - Travel Day - staying at Royal Pacific at Universal
Thurs 16th - Islands of Adventure
Fri 17th - Seaworld
Sat 18th - Universal Studios plus Old Town
Sun 19th - Animal Kingdom
Mon 20th - Shopping plus Islands of Adventure
Tues 21st - Magic Kingdom
Wed 22nd - Shopping then Universal
Thurs 23rd - NASA
Fri 24th - Aquatica, Cirque plus dinner at T REx
Sat 25th - Islands of Adventure
Sunday 26th - Daytona for Peter to do the big Richard Petty swith to Port Orleans Riverside
Mon 27th - Disney Studios
Tues 28th - Epcot
Wed 29th - Boys leave on 5 day road trip ending up at GRacelands, Us Water park and then Hoop De doo surprising the family we know from Delaware (The Mum is in on it)
Thurs 30th - Magic Kingdom
Fri 31st - Disney Studios
Saturday 1st January - Animal Kingdom
Sunday 2nd - Epcot - boys return in time for dinner (on a plane)
Mon 3rd Disney Studios
Tues 4th Epcot
Wed 5th Magic Kingdom
Thurs 6th Animal Kingdom
Fri 7th split up day at Johns request he spends a day alone with me at Magic Kingdom all meet up for dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe
Sat 8th Cruise
Sun 9th Cruise
Mon 10th Cruise
Tues 11th Cruise
Wed 12th Cruise
Thurs 13th Cruise
Fri 14th Cruise
Sat 15th Cruise on return check into the Polynesian. Magic Kingdom although Peter will probably leave and head to Old Town
Sun 16th Epcot
Mon 17th return home

Too much planning for you Lisa??????

Sandie

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:02 am

Too much planning for you Lisa??????

Sandie

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I was thinking how fantastic it all looked. :)

probably a teensy bit more planned than I'd be, but I think for such a huge undertaking, you would have to do a lot more than I am used to.

Looks spectactular Sandie... wish it was me.

I know one thing, I won't be heading to that part of the Disney world without your sage advice :)

Lisa. :D
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:47 am

Sounds great! Why Christmas in Islands of Adventure?

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:25 pm

We are staying there until Boxing Day and as much as I love Disney I am not willing to be miserable in the Magic Kingdom on Christmas and it would kill Peter - plus I do love the Grinch!

The three Universal hotels have really nice Christmas buffet lunches and dinners so we will probably leave to do that. Out of teh two Universal parks Islands of Adventure is my favourite and I do all the planning so I get to decide!

Sandie

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:41 pm

I agree if they don't like it they can do the planning.....(insert sound of crickets here)

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:43 am

Sounds great to me :)

Do you not park hop? I love jumping from park to park in the one day. I think it suits my short-attention-span personality. Of course, it might not work when I go with kids though.
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:09 am

I reckon xmas is a great idea at Universal resort Sandie. When I was looking I couldn't get over how good the xmas dinners sounded that they put on. I've read on a few forums too that people have preferred there over WDW who have done both. If we were ever there again at xmas (probably not, but you never know), I'd consider there instead. At WDW you're too busy trying to avoid crowded areas and then trying to figure out what to do than you are trying to enjoy the day. IOA is cool too, we preferred that as well over US. The Grinch show is nice so make sure you catch that.

That's one mighty fine itinerary too Sandie. You will thoroughly enjoy Royal Pacific. It's far enough away from the parks to be quiet but close enough to be convenient. And it's a nice comfortable hotel too. Good fireworks show at Disney studios on new year's eve. Not as grand as Magic Kingdom, but they are closer to the park and you feel like you're in the middle of them, very carnivale feel about it.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:46 am

Do you not park hop?
Normally we do park hop and may this time as well, however the boys have really limited time in each park so i thought if we could stay in one place it would work better.
That's one mighty fine itinerary too Sandie.
Why thank you! It may change when the park hours come out etc

Sandie

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Our Disney Trip 2010-2011

Postby sandie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:55 pm

Since I have now taken the plunge and booked accomodation I thought I should start a thread for our trip! Universal's Pacific Royale booked (Harry Potter Package) from the 15-26th December. Port Orleans Riverside booked from the 26/12 to the 8th January.

For those who don't know the Harry Potter package includes accomodtion, unlimited access to IoA, Universal, Seaworld, Aquatica and Wet and WIld for length of stay - we will use all except Wet and Wild, breakfast in teh Three Broomsticks, souviner tickets, early access to the Potter area plus the awesome front of line passes - although they can only be used on the new HP attraction once per day and I believe the new roller coaster in Universal is also limited to once per day.

Sandie

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Our Disney Trip 2010-2011

Postby ajp » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 pm

That sounds great so far Sandie. Next time we see you I'll make sure I keep Jess away at around a 10m radius after she hears you've booked the HP package :lol: . 11 days at Universal will not seem enough, because we thought 8 days was nowhere near enough. Royal Pacific is nice and comfy, you'll like it for sure.
and I believe the new roller coaster in Universal is also limited to once per day
Is that the Rip Ride Rockit you're referring to? They didn't allow FOL passes at all when we tried to use them and had to line up for the 120 mins (quoted 90m at the gate, but another story for another time). But there was the line there ready to use, so you'll be right to use it, if it is only for once a day, you'll need it!

Are you booking the cruise at all, or not able to fit it in?
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Can I come too??? :D
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:18 pm

Are you booking the cruise at all, or not able to fit it in?
The cruise is still on the agenda - its just I decided I better book the busy time stuff first!
11 days at Universal will not seem enough
The plan is to do all the non - Disney stuff whilst here - NASA is a must every trip for us and so is Seaworld!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:42 pm

The cruise is still on the agenda
Excellent. When it comes time to book, can I recommend that you go to a third party website/travel agent. I used vacationstogo.com and they were excellent. The prices were cheaper than the DCL website and they also operate in our time zone as well (based in Texas and very approachable). The agent I got became "our agent" and he was very helpful. But I hear that some of the other agencies are good too, like cruiseco.com and the one that advertises on disboards, so you can't go too wrong.

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:27 pm

Yep last time i used a lady from themagicforless travel and have contacted her again mainly because it will be such a busy time and since we are meeting my friend and her girls, as we did last time, we want to do our best to make sure our POR rooms are located close to each other.

I am on the DIS boards right now deciding which Harry Potter merchandise I will buy - tell me Jess's favourite Hogwarts House and I will get her a pin or something

Sandie

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”