Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

The Morthens Do Orlando (and the Caribbean) - Dec 2010

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: The Morthens Do Orlando (and the Caribbean)

Postby sandie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:48 pm

I think we saw your plane come in, around 8:30ish was it?
That was us!!!!!!

Sandie

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Some things I forgot:

The Pirate's League: John and I did this on our Mum and Son day - he was a bit wary at first but it was heaps of fun and as our appointment was at 9.30 am we got to be dressed up all day in the Magic Kingdom. We picked each others make up and I was hoping to be the pirate princess but no he pick a real pirate face for me. Some americans need a sense of humour too - I mean have they never seen a bearded woman walking around a theme park before????????? The package included a lot of things I never knew about and I will bring it all along to the next meeting and do a big expose there - including photos.

Photo Pass: Now I have always thought this was a great idea. However today I am a bit pissy with Disney - I paid $149 plus tax for a cd with all my photos on it. It has 142 photos however when I log into my online account it has 413 photos so now I have to send them an email to try and sort it all out.

Winter: I hope it was because of Winter but I have never seen so much dead grass around WDW. Is it always like that Colin? I am used to lush green grass you want to roll on.

Ok on with the Cruise...............

Firstly let me say this was the best week of holiday I have ever had. The ship is huge and as far as I know none of us put on any weight this cruise - probably because our room was at the opposite end of the boat to the entertainment options so there was a lot of walking! We had a category 5 stateroom - number 6118. Right near the stairs and elevators which meant the kids could always find the way back to the room. We got a towel animal everynight which is good because we never got one at our resort :cry: The room had a huge bed (they said queen size it seemed bigger though) as well as a sofa - at night the sofa turned into a single bed and another single bed pulled down from the roof. THe toilet and shower were in seperate rooms each with their own sinks which meant at least two people could get ready at a time. It was kind of like showering in a caravan though - one of the comedians said the best way to do it was lather up the walls with soap and just slowly rotate under the water!

Day 1 - The Adventure Begins.

The plan had been to have breakfast at Chef Mickeys before heading to the dock however a note slipped under our door the night before warned us that driving time to do this would be up to 1.5 hours due to the marathon so we decided no breakfast was worth that. We ate in the POR food court and left the resort. It was far too early to head to the ship so we drove into Orlando so Peter could visit (for the 50th time) the Harley he is thinking of importing. :? We finally got on our way at ten thirty and just before you get to the Port you go over a huge bridge and from the top you can see the ship!!!! That woke the kids up! We parked our car in the Ports secure parking ($105 a week so that we could leave most of our luggage on shore) Being non US residents we had our own check in line and we were ready to go by around noon. We had time for a quick photo with Mickey before our group was called to board. A couple more photos and we were in the foyer being welcomed - they even got our name right but there was no-one in there except cast members so the welcome wasn't huge. We were directed up to Topsiders for lunch. The buffet was great and we just relaxed there until we could get into our state room. We headed out and did a welcome to the ship tour at 2 pm so we could get acclimatised to our new home. By 3 we were back at our room, our bags had arrived so I unpacked and we headed up to deck 9 for the sailing away party. We left around 5.15 and although I had expected hoardes of people to be on the dock waving at us with big mouse hands I had to be content with 5! The party was fun and around 5.45 pm we headed down to our early dinner seating.

We were still wearing our jeans as we figured not everyone would have gotten their bags yet so would be fine not dressed up. It was not a problem and in hindsight it was a waste hiring the suits and packing formal dresses because even on formal night people were in the restaurant in jeans. Our first meal was in Parrot Cay and we met our servers Agus form Indonesia and Milan from Bulgaria, they were great and travelled with us every night. One thing you should know is they are very good at remebering what you like - I order a sprite zero to drink that night and every night after it appeared even though I may have felt like something else to drink. We were not seated with another family which disappointed me and Eli but the boys preferred it. Eventually I just started talking to those at other tables anyway. We had expected a lot of food but the meals are not huge - at no meal did we feel stuffed. You always got three courses and John was able to order from both the kids and adults menu mixing it up how he liked. We finally figured out that maybe peole who say they eat til they explode augment at the takeaway places?????

After dinner we headed to the Walt Disney Theatre to see the "Broadway Style" Show of the night. This was my one dissapointment - whoever named these Broadway Style has seen very little live theatre. They are built up so much but especially in the case of Villians Tonight the storyline was so dumbed down that even kids were rolling their eyes. Some local groups here do far better productions. I don't believe that theatre has to be in the style of a pantomine aimed at 5 year olds for kids to enjoy it. I understand that it is a ship and not Broadway but the performers showed at other venues that they were highly talented, the stage is large and equipped with trap doors and moving set pieces so it could have been a lot better. Could have just been me but we actually walked out of the first night show and Villians tonight halfway through.

We took the kids to their respective clubs Edge for John and Vibe for Eloise and pretty much lost them for the rest of the trip -/ -/ -/ -/ -/

We spent some time up on deck and then headed to Rockin Bar D for the rest of the night. After 9.30 pm the bar areas of the ship become adults only which was great.

Key West

After breakfast Eli and I headed to what we thought would be an informative talk on Island shopping - it was only about diamonds. We can not afford diamonds. we did however get a whole heap of brochures that we could exchange for free jewelery at each of our ports - it was not good quality jewelery but when your 14 who cares?

You dock at Key West around 12.30 pm and as we did not have any shore excursions booked we bought tickets for the hop on/hop off trolley. We did not get off at all the stops but did walk along the docks a bit and made a stop at the southernmost point of the mainland US. As we got off the trolley someone said to me are you Sandie? I, of course said, no I was Queen Elizabeth. :twisted: It turned out iit was the meet co-ordinator for our Dis cruise group. I had missed the meet as we were on the ship board tour the day before and had missed it. As we were talking we noticed our daughters hugging - turned out they were already friends from the clubs.

After the tour we visited a few shops - Eli got a charm bracelet from a chain jewelery shop and at each port we shopped at she only had to show the bracelet and she got a new charm. We also bought nail polish at Del Sol - it is one colour inside but in the sun changes to a completely different colour, they also had bags, t-shirts etc that did the same thing. We were back on the ship in time to get changed for dinner which was a Lumineres. This is avery fancily theme restaurant and it was ruined by those who turned up in shorts etc. I just tuned them out. I am not sure why Disney has a dress code if it does not enforce it.

More to come....

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:45 pm

Great report so far Sandie. I'm loving the sound of the cruise more and more :D
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:39 pm

I am not sure why Disney has a dress code if it does not enforce it.
I agree with this sentiment. We commented that the next cruise we do, we will ensure we dress decent for dinner every night. The surroundings are very nice and I think to dress like you're eating Sizzler on a Saturday afternoon after football, is almost disrespectful.

Lumieres was nice, not the favourite though.

Sorry to hear that the Villains show was disappointing (that's only new, so we didn't see that one). I hope the other shows were an improvement in your eyes.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:24 am

Winter: I hope it was because of Winter but I have never seen so much dead grass around WDW. Is it always like that Colin? I am used to lush green grass you want to roll on.

Yes, it was not the normal, first time I have ever seen Florida with dead grass, the weeks before we arrived they had frosts, almost killed the grass. It was unusual also that it was a late ending Autumn and the leaves were still on the trees so it was a case of leaves falling until after Christmas.

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Keep it coming Sandie!

Glenda would have left on her "oasis of the seas" cruise today so I will be interested in the comparison.

Shame about the shows. I thought they were fantastic and the production quality as good as any professional show.

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:19 am

John and I did this on our Mum and Son day
You need to tell us what your Pirate Name is. 8)
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:35 pm

I reckon we're all waiting for the next installment Sandie!
As we got off the trolley someone said to me are you Sandie? I, of course said, no I was Queen Elizabeth.
I know this might be a really long shot question, but you didn't happen to run into a lady named Laura did you? Em and Jess became friends with her daughter, and I happened to mention to her on FB just before the cruise that you were on the same one she was on, and to look out for an Australian family. She's quite friendly and I reckon she would have tracked you down. This quote reminded me ...

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Her name was Laura and her daughter was Keighley - ask the girls if its the same family!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Yes it is. Keighley was definitely the daughter's name. We'd met them early, but didn't really have a decent chat until we did the on board DVC presentation, they're members and that's how they pay for their cruises.

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Sorry my return to work was traumatic - so on with my report......

Monday - first at Sea day.

I wasn't really sure how we would handle the at sea days - Peter is hyper at the best of times, John is a loner and I tend to get wrapped up in their isses - at least I didn't have to worry about ELoise, by day two I couldn't even remember if I ever had a daughter!

I started the day at the buffet with Peter and then went to the Disney Innovations talk - these were ok but I wish they had of got the cast member to understand what he was speaking about - reading off the card was just annoying.

I then met Peter at the Cove Cafe for coffee which is where he had a non-Disney moment. Not sure if I have written this yet but Peter had spent the last 3.5 weeks whinging about not being able to buy a decent mocha, he still got one every day (slow learner?????) but each day the complaints got longer. Before hehad even received his coffee from the Cove Cafe he was complaining about American coffee in general. Finally the turkish man serving turned to Peter and in a controlled voice said "Sir, if one does ot wish to try new things perhaps one should stay home." I almost wet my pants laughing, Peter's blood boiled and after he stomped out I tipped the guy extra for providing enjoyment!

We had lunch - a seafood buffet - in Topsiders and then joined JOhn in the cinema for Tangled. Best movie from DIsney in ages! Plus the cinema was a life saver for John he saw at least 12 movies in the week (with a $5 bag of popcorn each time :shock: ) After the movie Peter and I went to the DVC presenttion and won a wooden box which is now my DIsney jewelery box. We decided that we could not afford $19,000 for 150 points though so no purchase was made.

Tonight was formal night so Peter and JOhn donned their tuxes and we headed to Animator's Pallette. I was dissapointed as I did not realise we only got the show one night of the cruise. It was to be the next night when we were meant to be at Palo's. However the head server told me not to miss the show night under any circumstance and he would move our Palo reservation to another night. My second dissappointment was the few people who came to formal night in shorts - give me a break - how hard is it to pack a tie????????????????? :x :x :x :x

The evening was spent in the usually way - between the piano bar, Rockin' D and walking the deck lamenting our long lost children (I just put that in in case they ever read this!)

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:00 pm

We decided that we could not afford $19,000 for 150 points though so no purchase was made.

I wouldn't either! That is nearly twice as much per point as I paid last year for the resale.

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Grand Cayman

We had no shore excursion planned for here - we were just going to do our own thing. AT the time thisdid not bother me but in hindsight I wish I had of put what I wanted to do ahead of my family and done one of the snorkelling trips - there's always next time I guess.

Eloise woke up sick - this was the start of the downfall. SHe appeared all right just very tired. All she wanted to do today was get her free jewelery so we headed to look at the shops. To be honest I found Grand CAyman a bit of let down. I stopped to speak to some locals whilst the rest of them were trying on Raybans and came up with a plan. If we walked 200 metres in the other direction Peter could part with $50 and hire a bike for the day for him and John and ELi and I could could ride one of the mini buses around the island and then head back to the ship.

We walked to the bike place and set that up and off the went. After a stop at Dairy Queen (apparently ice cream at 10 am is good for teenagers when they are sick) we went to barter for a bus. We got it own to $10 each. It only stopped two places - Hell and the Rum Factory. That was ok with us as Eli just wanted to die somewhere. Hell was a bit black burnt bit of rock formation - exactly as you would have expected! And the Rum factory had this awesome cake tasting buffet - Pineapple Rum Cake was our winner. An interesting tour inclusion was the man on the bus with Tourette's syndrome - very illuminating.

We headed back to the ship and up to Topsiders for lunch (chinese today) before just hanging out until the boys returned. Dinner was the show dinner at Animator's Palette which was worth giving up my Palo reservation for. THe adults went to the clubs after dinner and we met John at the cinema at 11 pm to watch Sorcerers Apprentice. Peter liked it - apparently a cohesive and belieavable storyline is not important to him!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Cozumel

Today was a bad weather day. It was very overcast when we got off the ship and made our way to the ferry terminal. It was a 45 minute ride to the mainland where our tour to the Tulum Ruins was departing.

THe ferry ride was bad. I knew it was generally a rough ride but this was much worse than that. They were handing out barf bags and you could not stand up at all on the boat without landing on your buttocks. We made it to the mainland and were shuttled to our bus. After about 45 minutes we were deposited at a shop. It was full of very expensive mexican jewelery. I wandered around alone and had to make a quick beeline to get Peter to quaranteen the kids - I had found an area with hundreds of statues portraying the karma sutra - that was not a discussion I wanted to have on holidays. Peter of course went to have a look and agreed that they were remarkably detailed!

Back on the bus and we headed to the ruins. THey gave us packed lunches - subway rolls and cake etc. I swear the rolls were made the day before but the cakes were good. We arrived at the ruins and it was now raining sideways. They gave us umbrellas but it was no use. Within 5 minutes we were all soaked. We looked at the ruins for about 90 minutes and then headed to the shopping area. Eloise and I bought embroidered mexican dresses that seeme awesome at the time but have joined the ranks of "why did I buy that" now that we are home.

The whole bus was wet and miserable on the hour ride back to the wharf but the worst was yet to come. The ferry ride back was even worse. Along with barf bags life jackets were out and about. We were on the top level and at one stage we were perpendicular to the water. As we approached the island the captain was notified that the seas were too dangerous for us to dock next to cruise ship so we parked about 500 metres away. I was panicing a bit as it was Pirate night and we had already missed our dinner reservation. I should not have worried though as in true Disney style there was a message in our room saying they knew we were delayed and to just come to dinner when we were ready. We quickly changed into PIrate Garb and headed to Parrot Cay. We were about 45 minutes late but it was not a problem.

After dinner we arranged to meet the kids at 9.30 for the party and went our seperate ways. The Pirate Party was great - it made up for the shows in the theatre. THe fireworks were cool and the dessert buffet filled any gaps left after dinner!

Sandie

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:28 pm

Sea Day

Another sea day. Eloise had a sore throat now too so we let them sleep in and wen to breakfast alone. An bonus of the balcony was that because I wake up at 5.30 am for work when I woke up early on the cruise as well I could just read outside and eat the pillow chocolates from the night before!

I went to the second DIsney Innovation talk after breakfast and then met Peter on deck near the Cove Cafe. He was asleep listening to his I-Pod so I just read until he woke up. He tried one more mocha with the same outcome as the other day!

We went to lunch and then trouble struck. Since leaving Cozumel the boat had been extremely rough. I found it difficult to walk but thought it was funny. Not Peter. Halfway through lunch he turned green and headed quickly back to the cabin. It was so rough I had banned the kids from going on deck after dark.

I eventually went to the cabin and convinced Peter he might feel better if he came to watch Tron 2 with me and John. He did come but I don't think it improved matters at all! At 4.30 we had a couple massage booked. This was my first ever proper massage and I was nervous but t was great. We were in a room together and at the end they left us alone so we could just relax. In the male change room afterwards Peter found out that it was possible to get a full body wax on the ship - he declined. My one complaint with the layout of the ship was in the spa. Seriously if I am paying $260 for a massage could you not give me a dressing room?

We headed to dinner and the ship appeared to have stabilised a bit. After dinner I took Eloise to see the hyptonist (think I spelt that wrong ) show for families and then later on saw the adults version with Peter. The family one was better - I am sure half the people in the adults one were faking.

One thing I have not mentioned is the 11pm snack tables set up in a couple of areas of the ship. There was usually hot finger food, cakes and for me american cheddar cheese and crakers to snack on before heading to bed.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”