Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Live from Tokyo Disneyland...April 2010

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Live from Tokyo Disneyland...

Postby churros » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:55 pm

Fantastic Rick - keep it coming!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Thanks Rick - great update. I'm so glad you are really enjoying Tokyo. I love Japan and I agree with you - the people over there make a great difference to the enjoyment of a Disney park. Having everyone respectful of the rules, people sitting for the parades, people lining up without pushing and shoving, and everyone happy to make your visit as pleasant as possible. Great place to visit!

I also notice from your hotel photo that you managed to get booked into a Happy Magic Room at the Hilton - we had one of those as well for two weeks and absolutely loved it! How quirky is that decor? Did the others in your party get rooms on the same floor too?
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm on my blackberry but thought I should give a quick update.

Thursday we woke to a weather warning of 92mm of rain. It slowed us down but didn't get the best of us. We had breakfast and headed for DisneySea. It was SO cold, and SO wet.

Unfortunately the day started of bad, my mum fainted due to her hot flushes, with in seconds Disney cast members were worried and arranged a wheel chair. Thank you disney!

A quick recovery and we turned left and were all in amazement of the detail and stunning view of the lagoon and the Venice looking surroundings.

First ride - Tower of Terror. Similar to the WDW version, but some how less scary. The building is certainly tall, but I think the lift only goes up a 1rd of the way.

It was poring down rain! It was so wet and so cold, Mermaid Lagoon was a godsend! We spent hours in here, lots of kids rides, very warm, and no rain!

Fav ride of the day. Indiana Jones, journey to the centre of the Earth.

Friday, Saturday will have to wait until we are back to Tokyo, my forearm is cramping typing on my phone!

:-). Having a ball!

Rick and Family.
Rick

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Hope your mum is okay Rick! Bummer about the rain too, but glad it didn't slow you down too much.

Isn't JTTCOTE just so amazing?!?! It will be closed when we're there :(

Can't wait to hear and see more :)
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Guys,

So after DisneySea day we had a big day of travelling and touring booked.

We had a private bus tour booked (with 13 we fill half the bus anyway). We visited a temple that was built 1400 years ago! Gadget Town, and the Imperial Palace. The tour guide Mika was fantastic, I will post there details when I can, she was fantastic!

By mid afternoon Mika helped us exchange our coupons for JR passes and directed us right up to our train.

Some things to note on bullet trains.

1) Try to get back seats as they have a fair bit of storage behind them.
2) Prams are very hard to handle, they have to go in front of your seat which means you have no leg room.
3) Before you get on, ask the ticket office to give you the time for your arrival, they are always spot on and will help you set an alarm so you wake up. The train is very smooth and you can easily sleep if you don't have children.
4) Traveling during the day you can clearly see Mt Fuji (thats if you are traveling to or from Osaka, Kyoto)

So once we arrived at the Shin-Osaka station we had to find our way to Osaka Station, then around the loop we get off at Nishikujo Station, then change to the Universal City train. It takes a lot of energy to travel around the stations, with 13 people, prams, a lot of platforms having stairs it wasn't easy.

We finally made it to our Hotel, it was the closest Hotel to Universal Studios which made it really easy to get to and from Universal.

Day 1 at USJ we did pretty much every ride we wanted to thanks to the Express Pass which is the Japan version of America's Star Pass ( Front of the line pass ). It was worth every cent. Being that it was the weekend most rides were 50 min+ wait, we went straight on with these passes.

Rides...

Hollywood Dream Coaster was a favourite!
Jurassic Park was better than the LA version.
Jaws was VERY GOOD, again better than the LA version.
SpiderMan, same as Orlando, Orlando was better only due to this one being in Japanese so we couldn't understand it.
Space Fantasy, New Ride, Japanese technology meets roller coaster, a great ride!
Small tip, not for young kids, very little for kids in this park! Also skip the shows, you cant understand them and they just don't make sense!

Day 2 in Osaka, we hit the train network again, gaining as much info as possible from the hotel we headed for Namba station. After eventually found the shopping area and spent 1/2 the day experiencing Osaka then headed back to Universal for 3 hours of rush rush rush....we again purchased an express pass for 4 rides...

Ran to Jaws, then Jurassic Park (this time we went front row - so much better in the front row although we got wet!), then Spiderman, then Hollywood Dream roller coaster (again front row with you hands up in the air, the drop is vertical with no over the sholder harness, it was fantastic!!!). To top the day off we saw the light parade, interestingly it was mostly disney characters, something to do with the Marvel purchase?

Today, Travel back to Tokyo...I will upload more photos when I get a chance.

I am so tired! What feels like a million trains, platforms, lifts, escalators, my brain is hurting!!!! Can't wait to get back into Disneyland tomorrow...

Rick and Family.
Rick

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:22 pm

Excellent report again Rick - I think I'll have to put USJ on my tour plans for future reference - it sounds like a lot of fun!
Keith

Trip history:

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:54 am

US sounds great :) Something we'll have to try when the kids are older.

The train stations are insanely huge in Japan aren't they? I remember Kyoto and having to walk for about 20 mins to get from the JR to the local subway line. Crazy!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Great USJ report Rick, sounds like a great spot. Hollywood Dream sounds a little like Rip Ride Rockit in Universal Orlando, awesome ride. Reading all your reports so far, we're going to have to try and resurrect our previously doomed itinerary.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:55 pm

What an amazing trip you guys are having... really enjoying the updates... looking forward to more photos.

Brilliant tips for the train.. thats on my 'to do' list for next visit to Japan.

Lisa.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:01 pm

Universal's still on my wish list if we go in December. In 2005 we piked Jurassic Park (West coast) but the boys and I did it few times in 2008 (East coast) but my husband wasn't with us that trip so he needs to do. Then you start to think well Hiroshima is just down the road and then we could go on to... It all starts to take on mammoth proportions and you can't do it all.

Loving the reports Rick!

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Sat May 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Well, we're back in Melbourne :-) Sitting at my dinning table typing on my laptop, both kids are asleep, my wife is unpacking after a much needed nap.

After we got back to the Hilton we were again upgraded to the Happy Magic room, they are the only type of room that has 5 in a row that is non smoking. This time instead of facing the park we were facing the bay. A tip, if you want a larger happy magic room, request the bay view in the center, they are huge. A vast contrast to the tinny rooms in Osaka I can tell you.

Ohh, someone asked about Milk, the facilities at the Hilton are excellent, most staff speak very good english, shops include a Passtiserie, a Starbucks (visited frequently!), a small convenience store (we tested the Milk, it has 8% fat instead of aus which is 4%, tastes a little like UHT mile, the kids seem to like it though...), a disney store, a disney ticket booth, and some restaurants which we ate at every morning for breakfast.

The layout of the resort is very good, the Hilton is in a great spot for the use of the monorail, hardly a 5 minute walk to the platform. Tickets are easy to get, the machines have an english button, we got another 3 day pass. Disneyland for Tuesday, DisneySea for Wednesday, Disneyland and DisneySea for Thursday (the 3 day ticket you can use the third day to goto both parks - which we did!).

Going into great detail of each day is likely to bore most so I'm going to break it into highlights and tips.

Pooh ride is very popular, extremely popular, you think why? the LA version hardly a headliner so to speak, well, think again, this ride is fantastic...worth running to this ride first thing and getting a fast pass, the passes can sell out within the first hour, we spent 1/2 day at DL on the Friday (pickup was at 4pm, yes it was goldern week but it was packed!!!!).

Railway, we went on this 3 times, again, in comparison to other versions this is worth going on!

Jungle cruise, excellent.

Haunted Mansion, we waited over 40 minutes for this ride, it still was fun, if you've been on the LA one, and want to miss a ride, then I would miss this one, its exactly the same.

Buzz, Go for the Triangles and Diamonds, my highest score was 176900. A family favorite, except when it breaks down, which happened on the friday.

Places to eat in DL...
Hearts Banquet in fantasyland we went twice to. Food was great, the deserts were even better!
Coffee House in Main Street, well half way down Main Street and turn right, has the best Sundaes!, lunch was average though...
Only place i saw to buy fruit was near the Jungle Cruise, everywhere else sells popcorn, all sorts, pepper, caramel, salted, honey, curry, you name it, popcorn was everywhere! We tried them all, caramel was the best. The salted was not like aussie salted, more like sea salt flavor.

Coins, we collect all the disney coins, you need to go to each shop, each station, each disney hotel, if you've got the time its fun. 100 yen per coin.

DisneySea
Fav rides were Journey to the center of the earth, 10000 leagues under the sea, Indianan jones. Disapointments were Tower of Terror, and the Roller Coaster Raging Spirits. TOT was visually fantastic, but it was slow and the lifts didn't go the to full height of the DW and DL versions. Ohh, and dont get me started about Raging Spirits, Disney, you could have done much better!!! Its small, its slow, its bordering on boring yet it goings 360 degrees???

DisneySea would have to be the most beautifully, visually stunning park I have every scene, its just amazing, at night you could imagine you in Venice, you have to see it to believe the amount detail, even for Disney.

Character Dining - We went for dinner at the Ambassator Disney Hotel, it was very expensive and the buffet was very limited. It was 4300 yen per adult. I've done the character dining in all the other parks and this is worst by far.

Characters in general - Very few characters throughout both of the parks we noticed, no princesses at all?

Fireworks - much smaller than the other parks. Know this before you go so your not disappointed. Whoever designed the Tokyo ones need to take a quick plane ride down to HK DL.

I'm starting to fall asleep, so guys, all in all, Tokyo Disney Resort is a MUST SEE!!! The country and people are fantastic, so polite and refined, the rides are the best i've seen disney do, the cleanliness, the food, the parade, the magic, its all at Tokyo Disney Resort!

Rick and Family

P.s. very proud of my 2.5 year old, we told the disney cast member she was 3 and went on her first roller coaster in DisneySea, then followed it up the next day with Splash Mountain, a grand feet my little princess! Love Love...
Rick

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sat May 01, 2010 10:06 pm

Thanks Rick for the reports, they were great. You've convinced me! :D

-/
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat May 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks for the great update Rick - glad you had a good time in Tokyo!

I agree with you about Raging Spirits - I love the theming around the ride, but the ride itself is tame, even with the loop. It is a clone of the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril coaster in Disneyland Paris, and I wasn't impressed by that ride either!

As for the Tower of Terror - it is actually the same height as both Paris and DCA, but the over the shoulder seat belt ruins the thrill aspect of the ride which may lead you to think it wasn't so high - the belt keeps you in the seat so you get no weightless sensation in the drop. Also the buildings you see when the doors open are taller than those at DCA, so it looks like you are not so high - just a matter of perspective. I'm with you though - the ride itself isn't as good as the US parks, however the special effects in the pre-show are awesome!

We loved the Queen of Hearts and Coffee House too.

I never tried ANY of the popcorn when we went - so based on your recommendations, I'll have to give them a go this year...

Thanks for keeping us informed and reporting live - we really appreciate it! Now it's Mel's turn :D
Keith

Trip history:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun May 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Thanks Rick - I can't believe you are home already!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue May 04, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks Rick! Thanks for the tip on the milk too, it sounds silly, but I've been worried about it far too much! :lol:

What rollercoaster did you little one go on? The Scuttle one at DisneySea? I thought they had to be four to go on that? Cool, Ben will be able to have a go :D

Raging Spirits was closed when we were there in 2006, but I thought it looked like the Indy coaster in Paris. Don't know if we'll bother going on it if it's not too great.

Thanks again for your report and welcome home :)

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”