Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Live from Tokyo Disneyland...April 2010

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Tokyo April 19th - 30th

Postby RickGainsmith » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi Disney Fans,

I know my next trip was ment to be Orlando in September next year, i am fearing this new house we are building is going to suck up all of my dosh so its best i spend some on what is really important in life....Disney trips!

Nothing is confirmed as yet, I have our travel agent looking at different options. At the moment it looks like this;

19th Depart late, evening travel is much better for kids
20th - 26th at the Hilton Bay Hotel
27th Train to Osaka for Universal Studios.
Stay at a hotel close to Universal (any suggestions?)
Depart Osaka back to Melbourne on the 30th.

Our travel agent suggested 4 days in tdl, train to osaka, 2 days for Universal, train back to tokyo, then 4 days in tdl again. A possibility as well.

Any Suggestions? Thanks.
Rick

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Tokyo April 19th - 30th

Postby ajp » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:11 am

When we were booking our doomed Tokyo trip, we booked one of the official Universal hotels. They were competitive in rates and also located in very convenient locations. From memory the one we planned was located right on City Walk. Transport was also pretty good too I believe.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:39 am

Are you planning on seeing any of Japan outside of the parks Rick? We did in 2007 but won't be this year because it's just too exhausting to even think about lugging the two babies around Japan. If you are going to Osaka, you could spend some time in Kyoto which might be worth doing. Have you been to Japan before?
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:37 pm

We had two smallish kids when we went as well, and so we didn't see anything outside ofTokyo either ( Well, we DID have a picture postcard view of Mt Fuji from the plane though). We spent the majority of the time in TDL and because of the crowds, that took us an exhaustingly full 4 days to see most of it. Would have loved to visit Kyoto.

Sounds like a fantastic trip in the making Rick.

Lisa. :D
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The trip is progressing well. So far I'm up to 13 people, the largest tour I've had to plan for. I've never been to Japan, to me its another Disney park to cross off the list. If I get to see some of the country and cities then all the better.

It is a very broad age group. 9months, 2, 2.5, 10, 12, 22, 24, 29, 30, 34, 51, 51, 75. All but 3 have been on one of my disney trips so they are veterans in the need to get up early, using fastpasses, dealing with crowds, etc.

We are looking at Melbourne - Sydney - Tokyo, with Qantas, $1600 ish. They are evening flights so hopefully the kids sleep.

Some questions for those that have been to TDL.

1) Character Dining?
2) Priority Seating for any shows?
3) Universal Studios Hotels, which one?
4) Do they enforce the no kids on laps on rides. E.g. Winnie the pooh, Pirates, etc? Wasn't an issue in DW, DL, and HKDL but after reading Kevin Lee's book I'm worried.

Thanks guys, your advice is great!
Rick

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:01 pm

Some questions for those that have been to TDL.

1) Character Dining?
We did the one in Tokyo DisneySea, Horizon Bay, and it was quite good. From memory (it was almost three years ago) we didn't make any kind of PS, just turned up and it was relatively quiet. We got in straight away. The characters spent quite a while with us and even came back for a bit of a play. I have no photos thanks to a dodgy memory card, but I think all of the Fab Five stopped by. I think it was a set meal. Sorry, the details are a bit sketchy.
2) Priority Seating for any shows?
We also did the night-time show in Frontierland. It was quite good, hosted by Goofy and very slapstick. Even though it was in Japanese we enjoyed it and had no problem following along with it. It's the one meal I remember really enjoying because there was quite a lot of plain salad and it was just what my poor tummy needed. Again, it was a set menu. For this one we booked in earlier in the evening and there were still some empty tables up the top of the restaurant where we were. If you'd like to sit downstairs, I'd recommend booking in earlier in the day. We are undecided whether we will do it again this year. We just don't know if our one and three year olds will sit still long enough.

When we dined at the Blue Bayou (not a show, but they take PS) we booked first thing and had no problems with the time we wanted.
3) Universal Studios Hotels, which one?
Haven't been to Universal - sorry!
4) Do they enforce the no kids on laps on rides. E.g. Winnie the pooh, Pirates, etc? Wasn't an issue in DW, DL, and HKDL but after reading Kevin Lee's book I'm worried.
From what I've read, they will make you put the baby on the seat next to you when boarding an attraction. I have read somebody's trip report though, where they were picking up their 13 month old after they'd left the loading area and having the baby ride on their lap for the rest of the ride without anybody stopping them or saying anything. We'll probably be doing the same for our youngest who will be 16 months when we go.

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks Mel.

The Tokyo website that books the priority seating is Japanese Only. Fortunately one of my wife's friends lived in Japan for some time and can read the lingo.

Your right about the attention span of young kids. It can be hard. When your booking for 13 people its difficult to appease everyone. Also with this amount of people priority seating becomes more important.

Our flights are booked, just waiting on the accommodation now.

This is what I have planned so far. PS can only be booked 1 month out so I am getting it planned. Any suggestions for palaces to book? For the Shows are there any options for priority seating like the Fantasmic in LA DL, the desert was great and seats were fantastic!?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Hn ... directlink
Rick

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:20 am

Hi Rick - just looking at your dates and I think you should have a pretty good time in regards to crowds at Disneyland. Japan's Golden Week begins on 29 April, so the week prior to that shouldn't be too bad (the crowds will arrive after you've gone).

However, you may find Universal another story altogether :D

Sounds like you've got an amazing trip planned - I can't believe the size and make up of the group you are taking with you - that must take some planning!

Sorry I can't answer any of your questions around priority seating - I'm not sure how it worked over there, we always just rocked up to the restaurants and walked straight in - but that's a lot easier if there is just two of you!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:08 am

After reading more of Kevin Lee's book, the bullet train doesn't take large suitcases so I'm glad our travel agent suggested we start and end in Tokyo.

We can leave the majority at the Hilton Bay, take only what we need for 2 days at Universal and we'll be fine.

The main thing I am a little concerned about as I don't speak Japanese is the getting everyone to the correct station at the correct time, getting on the correct trains, etc. Has anyone travelled on the rail system? From the research I have done I there is a train station close to disney, and we need to take it to Tokyo Station and take Tokaido Shinkansen Line to Osaka. When we get to Osaka, how do we find the Hotel? Taxis I've heard are very expensive, but how much can I drag such an age group around the rail system?
Rick

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:01 am

From the research I have done I there is a train station close to disney, and we need to take it to Tokyo Station and take Tokaido Shinkansen Line to Osaka.
Hi Rick - although you have a large group, it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out the journey from Disney to Osaka.

The railway station at Disney is called Maihama - it is immediately adjacent to the resort - right outside of the Ikspiari shopping centre (their version of Downtown Disney).

Maihama is on the JR Keiyo line which terminates at Tokyo Central. There are simple vending machines outside Maihama Station to purchase tickets to Tokyo Central. The vending machines have an English button and are easy to follow. To work out how much to pay for a ticket to Tokyo, look at the LARGE subway map above the station entrance (there are two - one in Japanese, and one in English). Find Tokyo Central (you can't miss it, just find Maihama then look six stations to the west - Tokyo Central will be prominent with lots of lines going to it!). The big number in the middle of the Tokyo Central station box is the cost - when we were there I think it was 220 yen. Just buy a ticket for 220 yen (or whatever it is now) from the vending machine for each person and you'll be set.

Go up to the station platform and catch the Tokyo Central train. Note that all signage on the subways, the stations, and in the trains is in Japanese and English.

When your train terminates at Tokyo, you'll be deep underground, you'll have to use the escalators to go up and then you'll exit the subway through the ticket barriers.

Now you just need to follow the Shinkansen signs - they will lead you to the Shinkansen platforms. If you have travel vouchers rather than train tickets, you may need to exchange these at a Shinkansen ticketing booth so that you can get through the electronic gates and onto the platform - I'm not sure how that works - hopefully someone else on here can chime in about that. The platforms are well marked, so you should find the correct train to Osaka okay. Note that you MUST BE ON TIME! The CSIRO could set their atomic clocks by the Japanese railway system :D It will leave the second it is scheduled, so keep your group together. If you have booked seats, you'll need to find the correct carriage, otherwise, just pile onboard and find an unreserved seat. If the weather is good, sit on the right hand side for views of Mt Fuji once you leave Tokyo!

As for your arrival in Osaka - I'm not sure on the best route to your hotel. How far away are you staying? Taxis can be expensive so you might need to do some research - check with the hotel (email them) to see if there is a bus/courtesy service or whether it is walking distance etc.
Keith

Trip history:

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:40 pm

That's Fantastic! Thanks so much, i was getting really concerned.

If everything is in English I should be fine. You feel responsible when your planning for the group, I don't want to get it wrong. I will make sure we give ourselves heaps of time.

Thanks heaps.
Last edited by RickGainsmith on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:52 pm

Rick, we found traveling on the Shinkansen really easy - and we took some big bags too with no problems on the train - the carting them through the stations was the worst of the problem. We exchanged our JR rail pass vouchers with no problems - I think we did it at the airport, but it could have been at Tokyo station. Despite doing Japanese for my HSC, I can only say the absolute basics and had no problem letting the helpful ticket sellers what we wanted. We also booked reserved seats for our trip to Kyoto and back on the days we traveled and had no problem at all telling them what we wanted, although I think I had a phrase book and attempted to say "I would like a reserved seat..." Every time I attempted Japanese though, I was answered in English :)

I can't help you with the Osaka hotel, but I imagine it would be easy on local JR trains or a local subway. We traveled on the Kyoto subway and had no problems whatsoever, as Keith mentioned, it's all mostly in English as well. It might help to research it before you go though, I had a fairly good idea of what we needed to for transport before we left. Good luck!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:17 pm

And Rick - if you are concerned about finding your way through the subway system with a group in tow - you could always go by yourself into Tokyo Central a couple of days beforehand to check it out. It is only about half hour on the train so it won't take out much of your day. That way, when you are performing your pied-piper routine and leading your party, you can spend more time on keeping them together than trying to work out what you are doing and where you are going. Then just catch the train back to Maihama.

One thing to note if you do this, when you catch your JR Keiyo line train back to Maihama from Central, make sure you catch the LOCAL (it will say "Local" in English on the station signs). That is the all stops train - if you don't get the Local and catch the express in error, you'll miss Maihama as it doesn't stop there :D
Keith

Trip history:

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks Keith, Thanks Mel, I am thinking of a shopping day beforehand, something that is less time restricted a day or so before.

Fingers crossed. I'll post nightly to let you know how we go. See if anyone gets lost?? :-)
Rick

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Okay so its 2 weeks to go.

A few things i have found when trying to book ps at disney tokyo.

1) The phone staff speak perfect english.
2) Impossible to book ps for 13 people.

So, I was able to have a lovely conversation for zero priority seating reservations. The only recommendation was to goto to the restaurant in the morning and book on site.

I'm not sure how many times we are going to eat in the parks anyway, kids usually require an afternoon nap, there is ikspiari, and by the website the Hilton looks to have some nice options as well.

Other plans that have been organised is a private bus transfers to and from the airport, also a private tour with the same operator. They will take us around, english speaking tour guide and will drop us off at Tokyo Station to catch the bullet train to Osaka. This should work out well, as we will have some luggage with us for the 3 days in Osaka, saves catching the monorail, then the local train, and we fit in a tour to see and learn more about Tokyo.

We have started packing, mainly for the kids. The weather still looks fairly cold so we have been purchasing some warm cloths and also small fold up prams with rain covers, they are called "quick smart". We bought two, one for each child, they fold so small you can carry them onto the plane...cool. Much easier to wheel around than the double pram too.

What have we forgotten? Probably lots, still 2 weeks to stew over it... :-)
Rick

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”