Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Club Trip - Hong Kong April 2011

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Club Trip - Hong Kong April 2011

Postby sandie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:39 am

Not many bonus points though Sandie!
Well get the word out - this question will be repeated at the next meeting so you still have time!
some answers being contested by the cast but as Sandie is the trivia queen
They may have been right with having to learn about this park from scratch, having never visited and still taking morphine at the time you are lucky they were even in english!

Sandie

Gerard
E Ticket
E Ticket

Postby Gerard » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:30 am

It's Thursday morning and it looks like it will be a great day, I am sitting in the lobby and there is no one else here and it's 7.30.
Last night was great but I wont bore you with details, I will let you experience them through my YouTube channel.
If the weather continues to be fine I may sit by the pool before going to the park.

I will add that a new standard was set for club meetings lasting night, I recommend cocktail to be served at all meetings. Also I recommend experiencing Space Mt after a few, it's a whole new experience.

Gerard
E Ticket
E Ticket

Postby Gerard » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:24 pm

Sitting in the Sorcerers Lounge having cocktails with the rest of the group. I did the pool then the park then the pool then the park. There are a couple of videos posted today on the YouTube channel.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:00 am

Thursday was our free day so Della and I went into Hong Kong on the train. We went to Toy Store Street in Wan Chai and had great fun going through the little stores and the local markets there. Then we headed to IFC Mall which is a massive boutique brand shopping plaza so Della could get some Swarovski pieces-they are much cheaper here. We then caught the train to Kowloon to visit Nathan Road shops and we found a place call Trendyland which was nearly all Disney stuff, so we bought heaps more! We then went back to the park for dinner and fireworks before meeting all the other club members in the Sorcerer's Lounge at our hotel for end of tour drinks. Today is our final day and we are going to the park all day. We have a reserved place for all of us to watch the fireworks this evening. We fly home first thing on Saturday morning. Hope you've been enjoying the updates.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:54 am

That seemed to go so fast!

Sandie

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:55 am

That seemed to go so fast!

Sandie
Didn't it? I imagine it went even faster for those that were lucky enough to be over there.
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

Gerard
E Ticket
E Ticket

Postby Gerard » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:18 am

Not really, it seems like an long time since we arrived at the resort. But its our last day, I am doing my usual think a sitting in the lobby lounge and it's very quiet( apart from the cast members setting up for breakfast, I am the only one here)
had a all day park day yesterday from rope drop to the end of the party. Had club dinner at the Plaza Inn before special view of the fireworks and the fantasyland party (tip.....don't do tea cups straight after a 6 course Chinese banquet)

Today I plan to have breakfast at Chief Mickeys, pack and fit in a quick swim, Disney Dim Sum ( yum cha) at the crystal Lotus then the park until the late afternoon, back to the resort to freshen up before leaving for the airport :cry:

We have a late check out :D

TTFN

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:20 pm

Finally have wifi access on last day d'oh!

Sitting with Gerard in crystal lotus waiting for Disney dim sum. Hope to get another 4 hrs in the park before heading home.

Gerard
E Ticket
E Ticket

Postby Gerard » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:33 pm

At Hong Kong Airport feeling very sad, I had a great time, but is over......oh well I will have to hold out to my August trip.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 am

I'm back home - I'm sure I speak for everyone who went on this trip - IT WAS SIMPLY FANTASTIC!!

I'm going to bed now - the flight home was great but still very tired. Will post more stuff tomorrow!
Keith

Trip history:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:06 am

Boo hoo I'm home, unpacked and trying to reduce the swelling in my ankles. I think I slept about 2 hrs on the plane. I agree with Keith FANTASTIC trip - when's the next one?

Unpacking is like Christmas!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:42 am

Now that I can access a computer I can add some of my experiences.

Sunday while everyone else went into the very busy park decided to shop in HK so I caught the MTR, the Star Ferry and the double decker trams all over HK Island. I caught the mid-level escalators up to SoHo and checked out the trendy and high end malls and had a egg tart and one of the famous bakeries. I then walked the HK gardens and met everyone at the Peak Tram base terminal for out dinner at Bubba Gump's - phenomenal crowds!

Cried walking into the park Monday. Rode Space Mountain a minimum of 3 times a day. (We never got Greg on) Enjoyed the "Wow" jungle cruise - Wow is what passes for a joke by the skippers. Clearly puns don't translate.

Highlights: parade Grand Marshalls, club meeting, cocktails on Main Street, the gifts in the room

We had some cast members join us for the trivia but they weren't much use :D Gerard, Greg, Terrence and myself won and Greg won the Buzz Lightyear challenge. (If you read this Tommy tell Terrence that he was a great asset to out team)

Thursday I went to Ocean Park which was lovely. The dragon roller-coaster was a bit rough on your head. Cute pandas! Then I went to Kowloon and hit the night markets. HK is so easy and safe to get around even when travelling on your own.

Had lots of laughs and lots of food disappointments - would it kill them to sell decent sweets!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:30 pm

Welcome home Beth!

Here is my Friday update.

We awoke early after a late Thursday night (we had to do a practice pack and loot photo - shouldn't have bothered with the loot photo as we bought a ton of things on Friday which didn't make the picture!)

First thing Friday was a character breakfast in the Enchanted Garden to celebrate Nicole's birthday on the day - that was fun as usual. Della and I then headed straight to the park to be there at rope drop. As soon as the rope was down, we were off to see the Princesses beside the castle to get a photo. Following that, we began a project to catch all the attractions we'd missed during the week. High School Musical, Mickey's Philharmagic, The Lion King, and the Orbitron - and also re-ride some favourites - It's a Small World, Space Mountain etc. Interspersed with all that, we did lots of shopping - after the practice pack the night before, we realised that we had quite a bit of space left, so Della made a list and we collected bits and pieces throughout the day.

At 6pm, we all gathered outside the Plaza Inn for our final meal together in the Chinese restaurant. It gave us a good chance to thank Tommy, a Disney cast member and our guide throughout the week - he'd been excellent value! One of the highlights of dinner was the birthday surprise for Nicole - I have no idea what it was called - but I'll post a picture later (I can't even describe it...). We then all went outside to a reserved spot for the fireworks which was brilliant!

With that over - we all said our goodbyes. Most of the group went on to the Magic Access private party in Fantasyland, while those of us leaving on the early morning flight took a slow stroll out of the park and back to the hotel to pack for our 6:30am departure.

Barry had arranged a limo transfer for me and Della to the airport (thanks again Barry!) - and they turned up right on 6:30am. We said goodbye to the hotel staff, got our bags loaded into the car and departed the resort :(

I have 4,755 photos... I'll try and pick a few good ones out and get them uploaded later today.
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Okay - here is a VERY small selection of photos...I've pulled about 120 photos from over 4,700 :D - I hope you enjoy them!

Day One
Our hotel room 6043 - we have arrived!

Where are we Della??!

The park entry.

Della, Matt and Nicole outside of It's a Small World

On the bus heading to Bubba Gumps

Waiting at The Peak Tram for our ride

The Peak

Evil-G and his seafood basket - is his glass empty already?

The view from our table

Evil-G contemplating how to eat his dessert - he'll regret it later :D
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:48 pm

Day Two - Monday
Early morning entry to the park - just for us!

The station in the early hours

The Down Under Disneyana tour group

Entering the park

We had the place all to ourselves!

Nobody here but us!

Our guide Tommy with HK Barry during our breakfast in the park

Looks like a quiet day...

...no it's not - they are just stuck behind the rope!

Paul, Penny and Denise get ready to cut the ribbon to officially open the park for the day

After opening, we get a special visit from Chip and Dale in their 5th Anniversary gear

We then headed to the Animation Academy to learn to draw Mickey Mouse

Meanwhile, someone has also drawn the mouse on the footpath, leaving us a special message!

On to the preview centre where Alex gives us the rundown on the new expansion

We are also joined by Noble - a former Imagineer who now runs HKDL operations

After the formalities, it was time for shopping...

And a look at the new parade

Minnie was looking good...

...as were the Princesses

The parade had ladybug scooters - so cute!

And I got to chat with Rapunzel!

On Monday evening - we all head to the magic access party...

"Stick'em Up!"

Wayne and Jennifer on Dumbo

Matt, Julie and Mr Barry on the Carousel

Mr Barry, Julie, me and Della trying our Pixie-pose

Della, Piglet and Julie

Esmerelda - va va voom!

Small World at night

Castle - amazing at night!

A meeting of Duffys and ShellieMays!

Dancing down Main Street

The station at night

The Disneyland Hotel