Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Our WDW Trip 2010

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Our WDW Trip 2010

Postby ajp » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:41 am

I wish there more updates too. But Colin's right next trip we'll be at it again. Now about that job .... :lol:
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

ColinA
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby ColinA » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:44 am

I wish there more updates too. But Colin's right next trip we'll be at it again. Now about that job .... :lol:

Or just send Ros out for double shifts while you stay home and plan the trips!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:26 am

I like the cut of your jib young man :lol: .

I also don't mind being married and it's cheaper to travel than to get divorced. :lol:
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:34 am

I've been a little slack in mentioning the "loot" that was bought home in our multitude of bags, but it is difficult to quantify. But here goes, and sorry for not being too specific, but there was alot.

We bought watches, T-shirts, nice shirts, hats (both silly and normal, although do you class an Indiana Jones hat as normal? :D ), jeans, shoes, jackets, jumpers, beanies, shorts, cups, glasses, coffee mugs, key rings, pens, scrapbooking stuff, albums, a lense (Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5), photos, frames, CDs, a DL map, prints (we saw the original artwork at Downtown at WDW and it was very impressive), books. That was for us.

For gifts we bought shirts, jumpers, keyrings, pens, crystal ornaments, glass ornaments, timber ornaments, frames, clocks, prints, and I think that's all I can remember.

It's hard to pick special items, because everything is special. Our watches are special (Ros and I got the Citizen Eco Drive and Em got a timeworks one), the coffee mug is a thermal for me with a picture of Yoda wearing mickey ears standing under the 40" ride sign with the caption "Judge me by my size do you?" (I liked this). The prints are fantastic. Shirts and stuff we got from the cruise, souvenir glasses from the cruise and other restaurants. The DL map is the same type as my '50s version but obviously current and I plan to have them mounted together somehow which I reckon will be a great touch. I was glad to see they still make them.

We bought Ros' father a pen from NASA that is a space pen that apparently can write EVERYWHERE and we tested it and it's pretty good. It was the limited edition Apollo 11 pen.

For those of you into crystal, here is yet another incentive to go on a cruise. Grand Cayman has a Swarovski shop that is well stocked. At Grand Cayman you don't pay any tax, so straight away things are cheaper, but swarovski in this shop was cheaper still than the US (which is much cheaper than here by nearly half sometimes), so it was a double saving. We bought my parents some Bambi characters to complete their Bambi collection.

That's it, once we started unpacking, we found things that we were surprised we bought. But as we all know buying stuff is half the fun of being there isn't it?

There was one thing that we were disappointed with and that is that it is difficult to find things now specific to where you are. For example, we bought very little from Universal because not much had Universal Orlando on it, it was just Universal Studios and obviously common across all parks. Same with Sea World and even alot of the Disney stuff. When we buy things we like to identify on the thing where we got it so alot of the times we would walk away from something that may have been nice, but was too generic. I think this a failing in the globalisation of brands. Disney Parks just doesn't cut it with me unfortunately, I want to see Walt Disney World (or Epcot, Hollywood Studios etc) or Disneyland etc.

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:40 am

I agree about not liking the universal (pun half-intended!) branding of merchandise. If I go to WDW, I want WDW stuff, not "Disney Parks" stuff.

I love the sound of your Disney map idea. Make sure you share pics of it when you get it done :)

It sounds like you got some really great stuff. I'll have to keep the crystals in mind when we go on our cruise, my SIL is addicted to swarovski.
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:17 pm

nice haul ajp..... no wonder you needed extra space for the trip home :D

Lisa. :D
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:37 am

Wow - Anthony, you did us all proud with that haul! I can't imagine what you all must have looked like pushing trolleys around LAX with 9 suitcases and your hand luggage - that must have required some serious organising. And checking in at the counter would have been a laugh - must have taken ages!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:02 am

The biggest challenge was the Super Shuttle at the hotel. When I booked it I did say that I had so many bags and the guy assured me we'd be right and get our own transport. Well when they arrived there was already 5 people in the shuttle with luggage, so getting our haul in was literally a squeeze. I had a bag on my lap and a bag went next to the driver, this disappointed me that they didn't listen. At the airport we grabbed 1 trolley and I had to assign bags to everyone. Took a few minutes to work out. Checking in was relatively easy, it did take a while but with QANTAS club members having their own line, there was no crowd behind us, so it was not stressful at all. I grabbed 2 trolleys in Sydney though and that was probably the hardest to manage.

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:50 am

That sounds exactly like our shuttle from Anaheim. It was already filled with people and bags and I thought this guy is not going to fit in another 7 suitcases and 4 carry-ons bags but not only did he fit us (too bad about breakables) but he stopped for more people after us.We had bags under our feet and our knees tucked up around our ears. It was very uncomfortable and very wrong. No wonder they pick you up so early before your flight! I think we will book a town car next time.

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:00 am

I think we will book a town car next time.
That's the same thing I was thinking too Beth. Best to have control over what happens. We had a couple of ordinary experiences with Super Shuttle on this trip so next time I will probably use the Disneyland Express from LAX to Anaheim as well and not bother with super shuttle. Which is a shame, because last trip we had excellent experiences with them.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:51 pm

next time I will probably use the Disneyland Express from LAX to Anaheim
We love the Disneyland Express. The first time we went we took the Super Shuttles and booked in advance, but ever since then, we've just grabbed the Disneyland Express bus - we've only had a couple of people on it each time, and it is a really spacious coach and they shove all the baggage underneath and out of the way.

When we took the Super Shuttle in both LAX and San Francisco - our experience mirrored what you guys described - too many people and baggage squished everywhere :) - On the way to LAX, we had to wait for ages at another hotel for some passengers to come (I thought we'd miss the flight), then we also went into the suburbs to pick up at a private house somewhere in South-Central LA - that was an experience too! Luckily for us, we were catching a domestic flight to Las Vegas and there was no one at the checkin when we arrived so we made our flight.
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks for your hotel and restaurant reviews Anthony!
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Platter family cruise trip report

Postby mushu mama » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:43 pm

Nice job on the cruise trip report ajp.... for those of us yet to enjoy a Disney cruise, it makes the prospect very enticing indeed.

Thanks.

Lisa.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Platter family cruise trip report

Postby ajp » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks Lisa. I found it hard to put in as few words as possible.

And I won't get picky about the extra T you have given us either :lol: !

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Platter family cruise trip report

Postby mushu mama » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Oops.... :lol: sorry

Lisa.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”