Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Churros Countdown - WDW and Disney Cruise 2008

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Churros Countdown

Postby churros » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:27 pm

Tuesday 7 October: Disney's Hollywood Studios and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

I had the famous Tonga Toast for breakfast. I could feel my arteries clogging but oh so worth it!

We got to DHS about 10 and went straight to get a FP at Toy Story. A CM told us they would be all gone within 1/2 hr. The crowds were certainly a lot bigger from our first week. We rode all the big rides again and saw Lights, Motors and Action which Jacob loved and had lunch at 50s Primetime cafe. The boys were terrified as to what might happen when they hadn't eaten all their veggies or slopped some of their milkshake but the waitress was quite mild compared to some we saw. I had smores for dessert -mmmmmm!

It poured from midday until about 6pm when we left and headed to the MK for MNSSHP. This was great and I would absolutely do it again. The rides were a walk on and on more than one occassion we stayed seated and re-rode. We all loved lining up for candy over and over again and we came home with an obscene amount of sugar which we are stilling working our way through! The fireworks are among the best I've seen and the headless horseman and grave diggers in the parade were fantastic! We left about midnight and the boys thought this was one of the highlights of the trip!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:24 am

I'm sorry your room at the Poly was disappointing Beth :( You have made the decision of where to stay easier for us though - ASMu Family Suite is the definite favourite now.

I'd love to go to MNSSHP one day the Headless Horseman sounds so cool.
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:53 pm

I would really love to see the headless horseman. The video podcast from Inside the Magic didn't show that - just the parade that came after!

Sandie

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:52 pm

I would really love to see the headless horseman. The video podcast from Inside the Magic didn't show that - just the parade that came after!

Sandie
There is about a 20 min gap between the headless horseman and the parade!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:57 pm

How big a gap between the horseman and his head? :oops:

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Wednesday 8 October: Animal Kingdom/Downtown Disney

We had a late start today after a late night and arrived at AK around 12.00 We rode everest a couple of times, then Dinosaur (not real keen on that one even though I know it is the same technology as Indy) we shopped then headed back to the Poly around 2.30 - the park was certainly more crowded.

We got to DTD around 3.30 and did what everyone does in DTD - shopped! Glenda and I really hadn't done much Disney shopping yet so this was the big one (so much so that both my banks put a block on my accounts due to large OS transactions - didn't know I was supposed to tell them before I left - but several phone calls to Australia later and we are back in business) Glenda and I stopped at Ghiradelli's and I had this wicked sundae with hot fudge and peanut butter!!!

We got back to the Poly around 8.00 and watched the fireworks and the electric water pageant from our balcony - this is where the Poly shines! There had been a bit of storm activity so the clouds restricted the view of the fireworks somewhat. The boys went for a swim and we attempted dinner from Captain Cooks - very small range of options, particularly when you compare it to the All Star food court. This is where we began to feel frustrated with the food choices. Eating at a sitdown restaurant was not an option every night and while we could have got a taxi out of the bubble sometimes you just want a meal at the resort and an early night and don't forget I hadn't eaten for 2 weeks!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:06 pm

How big a gap between the horseman and his head? :oops:

Greg
:lol: About an arms length!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:16 pm

Thursday 9 October

Angus woke up sick - damn that Captain Cook! Unfortunately for him this was the morning we had an ADR at Ohanas for the Lilo and Stitch breakfast - and he is a huge Stitch fan! So Glenda and I took it in shifts with Jacob to do breakfast while Angus tried not to think about breakfast.

After breakfast I hopped on a monorail to the Grand Floridian to hunt down the business centre and the only internet access in the bubble. Money had become an issue with my banks blocking my accounts and the dive in the dollar - I lost a lot of money and became very worried, but a recalculation of the budget and every thing was fine (I even came home with $1000 - clearly I didn't shop enough or maybe that's the money I saved from not eating :shock: )

After I got back to the room Glenda headed off to the GF to sort out her money. The weather wasn't real pleasant so we were happy enough to hang around the room with Angus the rest of the day.

That night we dialled for dominoes pizza and watched Hallowishes fireworks from the balcony - fantastic!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:15 pm

Friday 10th October: Sea World

We arrived at Sea World just before 9. We saw most of the exhibits and shows - Shamu, Dolphin & whale, sea lion. It rained on and off all day, so I don't know what got me wetter the rain, the splashing from the shows or Atlantica. These places just remind you how well Disney does attractions. Atlantica (flume ride) looks great from the outside, has 2 great drops and very cleverly leaves the water and becomes a rollercoaster in one part but the story inside - what was that all about? The kids thought it was hilarious but I think it was supposed to be dramatic. All I can really remember is some seahorse kept prancing around and leaving pixie dust :shock:

Waiting for the shows was quite the ordeal and chewed up so much time (and I was there during a quiet period) for example Shamu didn't open the doors to the theatre until about 45 mins out (actually Shamu didn't open any doors because he's a whale :lol: ) but everyone started lining up about 45 mins before in the sun!

We rode Kraken 3 times - loved that one! Loops, inversions, twists - yippee!!!

It got pretty hot towards then end of the day so we hit the pool back at the resort before our ADR at Ohanas. None of us really got into the food at Ohanas (skewered meat, chicken wings were good, pot stickers, salad) except for the Banana foster caramel dessert at the end - that was brilliant!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:25 pm

Saturday 11th October: Last day in WDW

Jacob woke up sick today! I am making us out to be a weak, whinging breed but we are usually made of sterner stuff! Any way we left him to his bed and bucket and headed off to Magic Kingdom for the last time. (Terrible mother but I rang him between rides and he really doesn't need me to hold back his hair anymore)

We were there for park opening - the train pulls up with allthe characters and performers sing "good mornin', good mornin' "- lots of fun!

We walked on to all the rides in Fantasyland, did Hall of Presidents (slept), Splash, Tiki room, Space Mtn, TTA, carousel, Angus did Orbitron and Laugh floor. By this stage it was really getting hot and crowded. Glenda went back to the resort. Angus and I watched the parade, shopped and then bawled as we caught the launch back to the resort.

By the end of the night both Glenda and I had been sick! So that was all 4 of us within 48 hrs - that was some bug! We were all very tired as we packed also because we knew we had a shockingly early start the next day!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:43 pm

Sunday 12 October: Farewell Florida, hello California via Chicago

Bell service picked us up from our room at 3.45am :shock: and we caught Magical Express at 4.15 :shock: Never again - I don't care if I am losing a day this was inhumane!

When we arrived at the airport it was very quickly apparent that there was a problem as the United queue was snaking all over the terminal - computers were down! As time passed staff walked up and down the line calling out flights in order to get people through in time. Then security was a nightmare as we were flagged for special searches - even though everyone was running behind and the crowds were out of control. They took Glenda's tinkerbell snowglobe off her as you can't take them as hand luggage. I said to Glenda as we went through "Did he clip your ticket? The other bloke said make sure you get your ticket clipped" she said "well he checked me out and didn't ask to clip it" so we proceeded straight to boarding with no time to buy any breakfast. Then at the plane they wouldn't let Glenda on as her ticket was flagged and not clipped which all ours hand been. We boarded and she had to wait for security and we waited and waited and finally they let her on after they frisked her :shock: Naturally she was very upset!

We had time to buy breakfast at Chicago - mmmm Cinnabon! But there were more problems with United - they had downsized the plane and were asking people to volunteer to get off and get a free flight! We did have a celeb on the flight - Billy Zane! Slumming it with the rest of us on the downsized plane!

We arrived at the Camelot Suites Anaheim - across the rode from Disneyland about 2.30pm and went and ate next door at Millies. The boys and I went into DL and Glenda went to bed. It was a long weekend for Columbus Day so the park was crowded but we managed Haunted Mansion with the NIghtmare before Christmas overlay and Pirates. We left the park about 7.30 and were all in bed by 8.30. I heard the fireworks but I couldn't get up to watch them!

I would recommend Camelot - great location, very clean and comfortable, our suite had 2 big rooms and a kitchenette.

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:51 pm

Bell service picked us up from our room at 3.45am and we caught Magical Express at 4.15 Never again - I don't care if I am losing a day this was inhumane!
i think I would have rather have added an extra day!
ate next door at Millies
I love Millies

Sandie

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:33 pm

We did have a celeb on the flight - Billy Zane! Slumming it with the rest of us on the downsized plane!
Hey, that is pretty cool! Did you sneak a photo?

Sounds like United were having fun that day (not) and what a pain to have to go through Chicago as well. Domestic flying in the US is always a little weird. I'm thankful when Wayne arranged our flights during the World Tour that we got direct Orlando - LAX flights with American.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:45 pm

Monday 13th October: DCA

We woke to a very cold and very windy morning - very unFlorida! LA was having lots of problems with bush fires.

We had breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen - I really like this buffet! But I lied to Alice when she asked if I liked her french toast as I actually thought Alice's french toast fingers tasted weird! I was hoping they would have the same lemon slice that I had last time but alas - I have taken some photos and will post them soon.

As it was Columbus Day we decided to do DCA in the hopes that it would be quieter than DL. I think it was the right choice as we had no bad waits. We hit Soarin' first, Toy Story (great to compare the 2, no difference in the ride but the queues were very different. WDW was all inside and you really believed that you were the size of a toy whereas DCA was outside but covered and loaded outside with only Mr Potato head for theming. However on leaving DCA there is a lounge room with the actual size toy box that you had previously been riding within.) We did screamin x2, TOT, Bugs land, the sourdough factory, maliboomer, mulholland (this had previously been Angus's favourite ride but 3 years had removed some of the shine) Muppets, Grizzly river run, the sunwheel and watched the parade - boy we got wet! Angus and Glenda also checked out the same zoetrope that had been at the Pixar exhibition in Melbourne last year!

We had dinner at the Rainforest Cafe and ordered the VOLCANO dessert but were very disappointed to discover that due to safety reasons they no longer have a real sparkler on the top just some tinsel on a stick!

We then headed into DL for the fireworks as they would not be on the rest of the time we were there. We got our position and waited, then the wind announcements began for about half an hour until they finally cancelled it :evil: So we went back to the hotel and bed.

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:46 am

Tuesday 14th October: Disneyland

We lined up at 8am for Magic Morning only to discover that our tickets didn't allow us an early entry. :evil: It wasn't until we got home that Glenda discovered her ticket said magic morning on it but the boys and I had upgraded our 3 day park hopper to a 4 day, which she didn't do, and we had lost that privilege but Glenda could have still gone in early. So we managed our collective disappointment and Glenda commented that it was the first hiccup in my planning. Anyway this gave me the opportunity to look for Keith and Della's brick and take some photos as the Esplanade was empty. We then went and lined up at another gate and they let us in before 9 anyway. We were right at the front for rope drop and the security guy sounded really familiar and then I looked at his name "Rich" - does this ring any bells for those of you who listen to podcasts? It was Richard from Micecast! The kids kept saying go on mum say something but I couldn't.

We grabbed FPs for Indy, then rode Splash (no crowds so got a re-ride), HM, pirates and Indy, SM, Matterhorn, Innoventions (couldn't get out of there quick enough - sorry no interest in listening to cast members bang on about the technology in the house of the future), star tours, buzz, alice, toad, subs (loved that), toontown, jungle cruise and tiki room. We had lunch at the Pizza Port then watched the parade. So we covered most of it because the crowds had gone!

That evening we went to Downtown Disney and had dinner at Le Brea Bakery. Angus had been waiting all trip for their macaroni and cheese and wasn't disappointed. The rest of us had chilli in sour dough bread bowls.

That night I packed :cry:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”