Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Churros Countdown - WDW and Disney Cruise 2008

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Churros Countdown

Postby churros » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:52 pm

How did you find the transport from ASMu? We didn't find it bad in 2000, but it was only two adults and I'm wondering how the kidlets will hold up if we have to stand on the bus after a long day in the parks.
We were there in the low season but we still were waiting for buses and had to stand from time to time - nothing too horrendous though! There are certainly plenty of people towing little people and massive prams on and off the buses! The buses are air-conditioned to something resembling Siberia which is sometimes a welcome relief. Generally the drivers do ask that people give up their seats for small children.

In all honestly next time I will hire a car just so I can get out of the bubble and buy some decent food! But I think this becomes more of an issue the longer you stay and depending where you stay - food options were far better at ASM than at the Poly!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:43 pm

How did you find the transport from ASMu? We didn't find it bad in 2000, but it was only two adults and I'm wondering how the kidlets will hold up if we have to stand on the bus after a long day in the parks.
We were there in the low season but we still were waiting for buses and had to stand from time to time - nothing too horrendous though! There are certainly plenty of people towing little people and massive prams on and off the buses! The buses are air-conditioned to something resembling Siberia which is sometimes a welcome relief. Generally the drivers do ask that people give up their seats for small children.

In all honestly next time I will hire a car just so I can get out of the bubble and buy some decent food! But I think this becomes more of an issue the longer you stay and depending where you stay - food options were far better at ASM than at the Poly!
Thanks Beth :)

I remember the buses being kept at freezing temps. I'm getting excited 6 years in advance. I've got a bad case of withdrawls! :(
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:30 pm

Day 4: Disney's Hollywood Studios

We arrived at the park just after opening and it was warm with a light breeze. We hit Toy Story Mania first and Glenda got the high score. We immediately got a fast pass to come back - this became one of our favourite attractions here and in DL.

Then we rode Tower of Terror. Now the last time the boys and I rode TOT they came off a bit shaken and it really did us in for thrill rides for the rest of that trip and it was with some trepidation that we approached it again. It is so different from DL - Glenda and I loved, the boys took a bit more time to warm to it - Angus really wasn't won over until DL where he felt he had finally conquered it!

Then Angus and I rode Rock n Rollercoaster - this became Angus's favourite attraction probably more so because he discovered rock music this year thanks to guitar hero. Jacob was devastated with himself that he used the chicken exit. Glenda was quite content to not give it ago.

We did Great Movie Ride (nanna nap), loved the Indianna Jones Stunt show (Jake bought an Indy Mickey) and Toy Story again (Glenda won again), then Muppet 3D. We had lunch at the ABC Commissary then did the Backlot Tour, Star Tours and the Block Party Bash, which the boys and I had seen in DL. Then it rained and stopped.

We had an ADR for Hollywood and Vine as part of the Fantasmic package even though we had heard terrible reviews about the seating for this package. The buffet had a great selection but unfortunately I didn't get to enjoy it for long. After dinner I sat in a cool, quiet spot and meditated on inner-peace while the others did Sounds Dangerous. We then headed to Fantasmic and thought the seating was great. There were however a million flying things that finally disappeared at sunset - unless I just couldn't see them anymore. The audience really got into the Mexican Wave thing before the show.

We did some shopping, the boys predominately - pins and plush, but I did buy a Mickey S'mores - I'm nothing if not determined to enjoy myself, even If I was still getting the same results!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Day 5: Finally Magic Kingdom

(Re: Finally - I had chosen each park according to Touring Plans and we really had no problems with crowds while I did hear people who attended extra magic hours parks had a different experience.)

We arrived around 9.30 and Glenda and I were very emotional. The mayor of mainstreet gave me a hug and said "you've been waiting a long time for this haven't you?" HOW DID HE KNOW?

We walked onto Space Mountain, so rode it twice. It had been closed in DL so this was the boys' first time, whereas Glenda and I had ridden it in HKDL. Then we rode Buzz, Peter Pan, Mansion, Pirates and had our first Dole Whip of the trip! The Thunder Mountain twice, Splash twice - well once your wet... Then had Taco Salads for lunch at Pecos Bills.

We rode Jungle Cruise (this was the longest wait with 20 mins), then Stitch (even Angus who is a mad Stitch fan never asked to do this again on the trip - it just felt like nothing really happened except the burp), TTA, Goofy's Barnstormer then rode the train to Mainstreet.

We left the park about 4pm and swam, did laundry and the others ate at the resort.

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:35 pm

Have I lost everyone? I'm not even through the first week!

Day 6: Universal Studios

We were picked up by Mears Shuttle about 9.15 and arrived before 10.00 and not all sections of the parks were open yet. We rode The Simpsons first off with a 20 min wait. This is exactly the Back to Future attraction just with different pictures - the kids enjoyed it particularly having a squishee outside the kwik-e-mart. The boys have also been very keen on dippin-dots(tiny balls of hard frozen icecream) ever since our last trip to Universal Hollywood and they tried them everywhere we went, even a vending machine in a mall, so this was the first of many dippin-dots. We rode MIB, ET, Jaws, had lunch at San Francisco Cakes where I had my first of many Key Lime Pies ( I was never overly impressed - must be the wrong season for key limes)

After lunch we did Disaster, Twister and Jimmy Neutron (no more simulators please) then we headed over to Islands of Adventure about 3pm.

Someone should have warned us about Popeye and Blutos Bilge Rats because I have never been so wet in my life - nothing worse than wet socks - no one came off that ride with any part of their anatomy dry. I was still wet when we got home at 10pm. So we continued the getting wet theme with Dudley Do Rights Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park x 2. I think the Sneetch ride was the only ride that didn't dump water on us.

We did some shopping and I bought a warm Cinnabon - mmmmm! and some more for breakfast - I'm telling you a tried very hard to have a normal holiday even though the day would always end the same way! (I know too much information)

We had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe which the boys loved. I think they took a photo of every piece of memorabilia in there - I won't be putting that up on flickr. Glenda and I had great fajitas.

We went home and the boys had icecreams at the resort.

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:48 pm

Day 7: Animal Kingdom
We arrived after 10 - bit of a slow start today and rode Everest first up - we loved this ride but it took the others a few goes before they saw the yeti, I guess I knew where I was looking because it is pretty quick and dark. We rode Kali River Rapids with some trepidation after the previous day's drenching but came off only a little damp. I can't say the same for the people sitting opposite us - luck of the draw I guess! We did the safari - don't sit in the back row, we were really getting some air time! Then Rafiki's train to COnservation Station and had lunch where Wayne advised right down by the water looking straight at Everest below Flame Tree Barbecue.

The day was really heating up so we were greatful to watch the Lion King (I really preferred Hong Kong's), then we saw the parade, did some shopping then headed off to The Animal Kingdom Lodge for our ADR at Boma. I didn't last long here at all so sat in the lounge while everyone finished. We got a taxi back to the resort which was almost the last thing we did because the driver was on speed. You are never sure if you should say something like slow-down but in the end I was greatful to be back at the resort. The kids went to the arcade while I investigated a medical centre for the following day.

So now we have done all 4 parks!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:53 pm

Have I lost everyone? I'm not even through the first week!
Not at all!!!

We are just pouting as you remind us all of what we missed :D

Yep - lunch by the water at Animal Kingdom is great. On our first day in WDW, we bumped into Wayne and Jennifer and had lunch with them by the water and watched the 'gators swim past us! Too cool :)

I wish we went on Kali - Della hates wet rides, so I guess she wouldn't be impressed with Universal IoA!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:06 am

Day 8 (Saturday 27/9) Blizzard Beach/Magic Kingdom

Glenda took the boys to Blizzard Beach while I checked out Celebration, well a medical centre, and got me some drugs. Both boys did Summit Plummit, I believe Aunty Glenda held the towels. I was naturally disappointed that I didn't go, I love water parks but I'd had enough and we were off the cruise the next day!

After the doctors I did some laundry, packed and watched TV.

The boys returned very excited and Angus was desparate to go to Typhoon Lagoon, BB went into refurb the next day. I was also aware that today was the last day for Pleasure Island but we really were not that interested and thought it best to give Downtown a wide berth. They had been expecting big crowds all week and Cast Members had been told that they couldn't use free entry.

So when everyone was ready we headed off to MK. First stop Country Bear Jamboree. Glenda was the only one of our party who had seen this some 30 years ago and it was going into refurb the next - obviously this is the low season!

We did Monsters Inc Laugh Floor which was very funny particularly when they kept picking on the same guy in the audience. The others had dinner at Cosmic Rays then we got into position for Spectro Magic and the fireworks. We shopped and left the park.

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:36 am

Day 9 : Disney Wonder

We had arranged for a town car to take us to Port Canaveral rather that go with Disney as this meant we could get onto the ship several hours earlier and start enjoying ourselves. The car picked us up at 10.30 whereas the Disney bus wasn't leaving until about 12.30 and we would have had to get to the Swan for the pick-up.

We arrived at the Port before 12.00. There were 3 cruise ships in and the Royal Caribbean dwarfed everyone else. At check-in they asked had anyone had gastro in the last 72 hrs and I confess here and now that I lied to a Disney Cast Member, because I knew exactly what his response was going to be if I said yes and there was no way I was missing this. I justified my deceipt by the fact that noone else in my party had been sick so I wasn't contagious. The cruise has antiseptic wipes everywhere - when you walk on or off the ship and at every restaurant. I had heard of a passenger who was sick on a previous cruise and went to the medical centre on the ship and they confined her to her cabin for the entire cruise! So word of advice keep your health to yourself!

It wasn't long before they called our boarding number and we were through the Mickey shaped tunnel, photos taken, our named was announced and we were on board -/ We were directed to Parrot Cay for lunch but once we got there we were told to head up to deck 9 to the Beach Blanket Buffet. This was all a bit hectic with long lines but this was the only time I was aware of a crowd on the ship. I ate bread for lunch - why do they put sugar in their bread? Yuk! Glenda assures me the buffet was very good!

We went to our room about 1.30. We had 2 single beds, a sofa bed and in the evening they pulled another bed out of the ceiling. The rooms have a split bathroom, toilet and sink in one and shower and sink in the other - all much roomier than when I saw Glenda off on a Fairstar cruise years ago. We had a TV, fridge - which we had to pre-order for Jacob's drugs and a balcony! Glenda had pre-arranged for the room to be decorated for my birthday and there was a huge magnet, a banner, a hanging deco, a table deco and a cake (shame I never got to have any). I also had pre-arranged a present from Mickey and it was a tower box of Mickey and cruise chocolates. We also got towel animals every day.

The boys went off to explore and Glenda I went to check out the rooms where they have the teen and childrens program. In the end Angus only went to the teen program even though he was 2 months off being 13. He thought the Oceaneers lab would be too young for him even though he made a friend there on the first day and they hung out together on the ship for the first 2 days.

At 3pm we meet some of the other DISboarders in one of the lounges, only about 6 families turned up but it was interesting to meet them. We then had the lifeboat drill which nearly did me in because it was very hot standing in a pack in out lifejackets while someone talked about saving our lives.

We then headed off to the Adventures Away party and counted down to DCLs signature ship horn - this was a lot of fun! We walked up to the front of the boat to watch as we headed off and the staff on the dock waved us off with Mickey hands. I then headed back to the room and sat on the verandah to watch the ship slip out to sea.

Jacob went and watched Golden Mickeys, Glenda and I had seen it in Hong Kong and I wasn't well - drugs hadn't kicked in yet. Glenda and Angus went off to dinner at Parrot Cay but Angus came back shortly afterwards as it appears he had had 2 cheeseburgers up on deck 9 just before he went to dinner - he loved the ship! Then Jacob turned up and went to join Glenda at dinner. I think the American family they were sitting with probably thought these Australians are a bit weird!

The kids went off to the teen program for a while then when they came back we watched Indianna Jones on the TV.

Once we were out to sea there was a gentle rolling of the ship and a bit of creaking but it really was very minimal and it reminded you that you were on a ship and not just sitting in a hotel.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:18 pm

Keep going Beth - this is great. Shame about getting sick though - good thing you put on a brave face :D I hope you didn't have to spend most of the time lying in your cabin...

The rooms sound great - can't wait to go one of these days.

When we were in WDW, Della got sick and we went to the medical centre. She was given some injection and drugs and was back on her feet in no time (they seem to have special holiday maker drugs that worked really well - they were probably illegal in most other countries - but they give them to tourists to ensure they keep spending money while they are there! :D )
Keith

Trip history:

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:07 am

Yes, please keep going Beth :)

It's such a shame you were sick, but I love that you kept on going anyway. The ship sounds amazing. I'm definitely trying to work that into our plans for 2014 now.

I hope you got to enjoy at least SOME of the food once the meds kicked in.

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:42 am

yep - you have sucked me in too! We are definately going back to Florida in December 2010 now - 1 week Universal, 1 week cruise, 2 weeks WDW! Keep going!!!!!!!!

Sandie

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:23 pm

Day 10 (Day 2 of the cruise)

This was a day at sea. Originally it was advertised as Nassau but DCL changed it about a month out stating fuel economy. It didn't worry us but it did upset people who had made independent tour bookings in Nassau.

Glenda went for a walk on Deck 4, then we left the Jacob in bed and went to breakfast at Beach Blanket Buffet. After breakfast Angus and I went and saw Wall-E - great movie! Glenda had a massage and then went and sat by the pool. Apparently while I was in the movie they had a huge downpour just as Glenda claimed her deckchair but it passed very quickly. We soon learned that it can rain at one end of the ship while the other end is in the sun! Then Jacob and I played table tennis.

I also wandered around the ship trying to find the remaining Fish Extenders from the DISboard forum that the boys had missed from the previous night. Some of the lower floors really do feel like the bowels of the ship with great big doors hiding corridors whereas our floor felt very open. Admittedly our Disney travel agent had picked out the best location for us midship opening straight into a foyer with stair and lifts. No noise and easy access to all parts of the ship.

Coming back to the cabin and finding gifts in the fish extender was a lot of fun. Most of the gifts were aimed at smaller children and included candy, stationary, pirate booty and what I'd call party favours (if you've ever made up kids party bags you'll know what I mean) I wonder how many of them braved the vegemite!

That evening we say the Toy Story Musical which was just wonderful with new songs then we had dinner at Tritons. I tackled a pasta dish with shrimp and scallops - beautiful! After dinner I sat on the internet to you lot and my husband for 70 mins - it was agonisingly slow and expensive!

At other points in the day I did a bit of shopping - photo album, beach towel. sarong, pen, magnet or stayed in the cabin watching Disney movies or sat on the balcony watching the Caribbean glide past. Most of the day I could see the other 2 cruise ships that had left port just before us and I think they were all doing the same thing as us - cruising around in a circle at sea, it really isn't that far from the US to the Bahamas!

The boys came in from Aloft (the teen hang) shortly after 12pm - well done!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:30 am

Gee sitting on the balcony watching the Caribbean sail past sounds like pure torture :wink: :D

Beth, can you remember what category cabin you had?

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:43 pm

After dinner I sat on the internet to you lot and my husband for 70 mins - it was agonisingly slow and expensive!
And we enjoyed every bit of information you transmitted - so it wasn't wasted :D
Keith

Trip history:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”