Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

HKD Trip 12/05/08 - 22/05/08

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

HKD Trip 12/05/08 - 22/05/08

Postby RickGainsmith » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi Guys,

In 2005 I organized a family (9 people) holiday to disneyworld, with plenty of books to read it (unofficial guide to disneyworld was the best book)was relatively easy to book things in advance.

With HK Disneyland are their any hints or tips for pre planning? In Disneyworld we had to book the character breakfast 90 days prior, is there anything like that? What about meal bookings?

We also have a babe this time around, a future disney princess fan, her bedroom is fully decked out in disney princess decor anyway. She will be 9 months old. Do any of the rides have parent swop features? Will tame rides let us take her on board? E.g. Jungle Cruise?
Rick

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:24 pm

We did Disney with an 11 month old and he went on everything without a height restriction. In fact he went on more that trip than when he was 5! Food was more of an issue. Is she breast fed? I see problems with formula and sterilizing. John was older so I just put him on regular milk a bit early. We also found jars of babyfood were in weird flavours like apple and potato together.

I don't know if there are many books on the asian parks - I am looking for a Tokyo one at the moment.

Sandie

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: HKD Trip 12/05/08 - 22/05/08

Postby KeithS » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:20 pm

With HK Disneyland are their any hints or tips for pre planning?
G'day Rick, welcome to the Down Under Disneyana Club website!

As Hong Kong Disneyland is a fairly new park, there isn't much in the way of published books on the subject. We have a short park guide in PDF format you can view here:
http://dudisneyana.info/images/stories/ ... _sheet.pdf

Character breakfasts were only available at the Disneyland Hotel in The Enchanted Garden restaurant - it is highly recommended as you will get a lot of time with the characters, although the character rotation is usually Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Donald. We never saw face characters there during our two visits in 2006.

As for character breakfast bookings, you should be fine booking when you first arrive (I'm assuming you are staying on site at either the Hollywood Hotel or the Disneyland Hotel for a day or two? Or are you spending the entire time accommodated in the City?)

As for restaurants (park restaurants you mean?) you can put your name down in the morning - but we found that most times you can just line up and get in without too much fuss - the hotel restaurants are the same - just walk in. I don't think May will be too busy - we were there for the first anniversary which was a big event, but there was never a crowd issue. Park numbers are beginning to increase though with the recent spate of special events.

I can't comment on parent swap etc - I don't have the need so I can't recall if it exists - I'm pretty sure it did, although most attractions in HKDL are infant friendly.

Have a great time, and don't hesitate to ask more - there are quite a few people here who have HKDL experience!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 am

Sandie, Yes she is breast fed, but sounds like we should pack for the solids she now eats as well.

Keith, thanks, its great to find like minded people when it comes to fantastic disney holidays.

I have been to LA DL twice, and DW twice, second time at Disneyworld was with family (9 people) and I had the job of organizing it all. It was a great trip though, we hired a house near disneyworld. It had everything we needed, heated pool and spa, bedrooms with ensuites for all couples and only $260 US a night and that's for all 7 adults and 2 children.

We did the calculations and by the time we paid for 3 taxi's (and trying to find 3 together) it was just as cheap to hire a limo to go to and from the park. So every morning we felt like rock stars!

Every part of the trip was pre planned prior to leaving, we had a schedule for which parks on which days, (e.g. make Magic Kingdom one of the last parks as that's the most magical of the parks), rest days, dinner bookings, shows (Hoopdy do revue on the same day as a 1/2 day at Magic Kingdom as the boat from MK takes you straight their, then back for the fireworks at night).

I could go on and on about that trip, trip of a life time at 26!

That would be the only problem with having such a fantastic holiday, it makes other holidays look average!

With one child and wanting more its getting harder to plan, but I can imagine the enjoyment of seeing the kids enjoy the Disney experience as well.
Rick

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:50 am

That would be the only problem with having such a fantastic holiday, it makes other holidays look average!
Yep - there are plenty of people around here who have suffered post-Disney holiday depression!

Every ordinary holiday seems...well...ordinary, after a big Disney trip. After our world Disney tour in 2006, we decided to go to Wollongong for New Years Eve - there we were sitting in a park in Wollongong waiting for the fireworks, and she turns to me and says "it is not like Disney, is it?" It was a realisation that we'd been spoiled.

So now, all our holiday money is saved for Disney trips!
Keith

Trip history:

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:32 pm

So now, all our holiday money is saved for Disney trips!
Wise choice!
Rick

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:09 pm

We also did a character breakfast at the Plaza Inn on Main Street. This is a beautiful restaurant that looks like the DL Plaza Inn on the outside but a stunning Chinese theme inside. Minnie was dressed in traditional Chinese dress and was just lovely along with Mulan. It is a set menu, Chinese in influence but very enjoyable!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:42 pm

We also did a character breakfast at the Plaza Inn on Main Street.
Hey, I never knew they did character breakfasts there - the park always seemed to open too late for breakfast, around 10am...

What time did you enter? I'll have to update our little trip guide!
Keith

Trip history:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:53 pm

Hey, I never knew they did character breakfasts there - the park always seemed to open too late for breakfast, around 10am...

What time did you enter? I'll have to update our little trip guide!
I can't remember exactly but it must have been about 8.30am. The place was empty - I think there was about 6 tables occupied in the restaurant.

While we were in there I heard rope drop start, so I raced out side to see a huge crowd .... no only kidding - 2 cast members holding the rope!

Now that's something I'd like to see in DL!!!!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:03 pm

The place was empty - I think there was about 6 tables occupied in the restaurant.
Our first time in The Enchanted Garden was like that - just a few tables with guests. The second time was much busier, but that was during the 1st birthday celebrations.

Did you have to book the Plaza Inn breakfast? Did you ring, or just book the day before?

Great pictures by the way - you all look like you were having fun! The funny thing is I've never seen Mulan at HKDL! Every other park I've run into her, but never in HK :)
Keith

Trip history:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:22 pm

Did you have to book the Plaza Inn breakfast? Did you ring, or just book the day before?

The funny thing is I've never seen Mulan at HKDL! Every other park I've run into her, but never in HK :)
I did book from Australia but clearly it was unnecessary at the time. I'm sure if we had been a week earlier during the Chinese New Year period it would have been a different story. I think there may have been a special deal on at the time if you pre-booked.

I did a character meet with Mushu but I expected Mulan would have a bigger presence in the park! There wasn't even any merchandise which was very disappointing! :cry:

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:25 pm

Hi,

Here is the link that says the character breakfasts, their prices and the current special offers.

http://park.hongkongdisneyland.com/hkdl ... akfastPage

It also says you get a discount when booking in advance however my package through creative holidays includes a character breakfast, no idea which one though.

We are staying 4 nights in the Disneyland Hotel so I'll try to goto both. :-) Another 6 nights in Kowloon Langham Place so I believe thats right next to the mtr that takes you to HKDL if we feel the need for more disney fun.

Re the Hotel, we have booked just the basic Garden View Room, any ideas if its worth upgrading, if yes, prior or when you check in? Which have you stayed in? Which would you suggest?
Rick

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:40 pm

Re the Hotel, we have booked just the basic Garden View Room, any ideas if its worth upgrading, if yes, prior or when you check in? Which have you stayed in? Which would you suggest?
We stayed at Disney's Hollywood Hotel and our party had both Garden View and Ocean View. The Garden View was lovely! You look at the Piano-shaped pool and the garden is themed to Hollywood!
Last edited by churros on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Cool. Thanks.
Rick

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:32 am

we have booked just the basic Garden View Room, any ideas if its worth upgrading, if yes, prior or when you check in? Which have you stayed in? Which would you suggest?
We've stayed there twice - both with Garden View rooms, and both times it was great. The first time we actually faced the Park, but in a lower floor (the upper floors were classified Park View) but from our lower floor, we could still see the castle and the nightly fireworks - how cool!

The second time we had a room in one of the wings that looked over the picturesque mountains - still a beautiful view - I don't think there are any bad rooms there, so you might as well stick to the Garden View!
Keith

Trip history:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Travel Reports and Trip Planning”