Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Hello fellow mousers

Keep up to date with the latest club news
Jessica Fan
A Ticket
A Ticket

Re: Hello fellow mousers

Postby Jessica Fan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Hey Josie does Melbourne still have that chain of themed restaurants with the erupting volcanoes on the outside and the singing tree and waterfalls inside? Very Rainforest Cafe!
It most certainly does! :lol: They're called "Smorgy's" and I know there is one about half an hour from our home, but not sure if there is one near the city, or anywhere near the Princess Theatre for you all to get to your show on time. But I'm happy to look it up if you want?

As for the hats; hey bring em' on! Can't wait to see them all.... -/

Jessica Fan
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Jessica Fan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:03 am

Update on Smorgy's:

Hi all, just to let you know it appears that there is only a couple of Smorgy's left in the chain of restaurants (Bundoora, Burwood and Geelong) and for anyone who hasn't been, or is wanting to know if it is anything like Disney's Rainforest cafe, well sadly not really. Yes it does have an erupting volcanoe at the front which goes off every half hour, and in the waiting area as you come in it is heavily themed with stars in the sky, animals, fish tanks, waterfall etc but in comparsion to the Rainforest cafe, it is pretty mild. In fact, it was because it was so lame that I was (even after several trips to DL) reluctant to go to the Rainforest cafe, but my DH dragged me there one evening (and I'm glad he did now) I was pleasantly surprised...RAINFOREST CAFE IS AWESOME! -/

If you're out that way, near one, by all means check it out but don't expect a lavish spread or to be anywhere near as entertained as if you were sitting in the Rainforest cafe. Rainforest menu is a la carte and Smorgy's is buffet style (and not very good buffet at that). Take a look at this video review of their food: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt51FaFfXvc (sadly the food hasn't improved since then!) :oops:

They are slightly similar (in decor) but very different at the same time. Rainforest leaves Smorgy's for dead!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:40 am

I'd go to that restaurant if it meant going to Hawaii :D

I took the kids to Smorgys someone in Melbourne (perhaps along a ridge with a view?) about 8 years ago (before we had been to the Rainforest Cafe) and we loved the atmosphere. With the waterfall that changed colours and a tree with critters that sang or talked - at least that was memory of it. I vaguely remember there was an enormous range of food on the smorgasbord but it wasn't great quality but my experience is that cheap smorgasbords are never much chop eg Sizzlers. I also suspect that the wait staff will not carry out my fudge brownie dessert with a sparkler on top yelling "VOLCANO"

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Down Under Disneyana News”