Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

2010 club meetings

Keep up to date with the latest club news
KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: 2010 club meetings

Postby KeithS » Sun May 16, 2010 3:04 pm

There are some photos in this article. If you can't see the entire picture because of your screen size, Firefox users can right click it and select "View Image". IE users, I'm not sure because the "Show Picture" option doesn't seem to work so you may have to save the picture and open it elsewhere.

Wow - where do I start? Last night was just...errr...fun!

As soon as we got there, we noticed some unusual and cool looking fluffies that people had bought along (Gerard's really was unusual!). Julie and Barry had bought nearly their entire collection of Mickey Mouse fluffies from way back in the 1970s to present day - they displayed over 40 different types (I didn't get a photo of the display - can you believe it? Beth, help me out here!)

The meeting proper began with a welcome from Wayne to the 100th club meeting.
Wayne discussing the formation of the club in late 1992

Then he jumped into the latest Disney news. Daniel mentioned at this point that Toys R Us are running a competition to win a trip to Disneyland on their website. Here is the link! http://www.toysrus.com.au/#win-a-trip-to-disneyland

We then had our True/False trivia which was won by Wendy's husband Ashley (who appeared a little shocked that he was the last one standing!)

We then took a look at a few new Disney movie trailers, Toy Story 3, African Cats, and Waking Sleeping Beauty.

Wayne then gave a short talk about the start of the club in 1993, before I got up and gave a PowerPoint presentation of all the Disney news from 1993 to show club members what was happening in the year it all began (I also snuck in a photo of me from 1993, but the less said about that, the better...)

Wayne then talked about some of the great events that had occurred over the last 17 years at the club, from meeting Frank and Ollie, attending the opening of the first Disney Stores, attending the closing of the last Disney Store, the club trips, the movie premieres, the fancy dress nights, the charity auctions, and so many other memories that members were able to recall.

We then had the unveiling and cutting of the 100th meeting anniversary cake!
The 100 Meeting cake (and Buzzard)

Following that, we went on to what have you found since last meeting, and Gerard stood up as he had obtained some boxes of Disney Kleenex packs for everyone in either Cars or Princess varieties (thanks Gerard).

We then moved on to Group Trivia - and I can't believe that my team scored 19 out of 21 and still didn't win! Manuel's team scored 20/21 :D Great score!

We then moved onto the Disney Plush section, and it was great to see so many people bring in their favourite items and get up to talk about them - there were some great stories (and great plush!). Yes - the Buzzard was there - including a bunch of photos of his exploits over the years (including his infamous skiing trip...)

Wayne and his Dinosaur which he won at Animal Kingdom during the 2006 Ultimate World Disney Tour

Barry and Narelle then got up to talk about the Hong Kong club trip that they've been organising for March 2011 - and they also dropped a bombshell - they won an all expenses trip to Hong Kong Disneyland on radio 2UE this week! I tell you all though, this next club trip is NOT TO BE MISSED! Once again, it is a trip that will feature events that money cannot buy (did I hear someone mention Parade Grand Marshalls?). I intend to put up a Hong Kong Club Trip Page on our homepage - hopefully this week, with more detail.

Following the club trip update, Wayne had some Disney Park updates, including Cars Land; Art of Disney Resort in WDW; the update to WDW Fantasyland; Paris Disney Studios Toy Story expansion; and more. He also showed a promo video from DCA's World of Color.

We then ended the meeting with cake and drinks and chat.

And I think that is about it for the night. I'm sure Beth or Wendy or anyone else who was there can update on something that I've missed.

The next meeting will be held from 5:00pm on Saturday July 17 - and we'll be celebrating the 55th Anniversary of Disneyland! The actual meeting will commence at 7:00pm, however we'll be having a pizza dinner beforehand and seeing some rare (never before seen on TV) footage of Disneyland from the 1950's that had been captured by guests using home cine-cameras. Believe me, you'll want to check it out if you enjoy old colour footage of Disneyland from the past.

Hope you enjoyed this summary!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Sun May 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks for the summary Keith!!!

Barry and Narelle then got up to talk about the Hong Kong club trip that they've been organising for March 2011 - and they also dropped a bombshell - they won an all expenses trip to Hong Kong Disneyland on radio 2UE this week! I tell you all though, this next club trip is NOT TO BE MISSED!
Once again, it is a trip that will feature events that money cannot buy (did I hear someone mention Parade Grand Marshalls?). I intend to put up a Hong Kong Club Trip Page on our homepage - hopefully this week, with more detail.
No WAY!!! Are they lucky or what? Barry is the person who first put me on to DUD. He is my SIL's (Craig's sister), ex-husband's uncle. Did you keep up with that? The club trip sounds amazing, but it's even less possible for us now that we'll have a newborn at that time :(
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

alice in wonderland
C Ticket
C Ticket

Postby alice in wonderland » Sun May 16, 2010 9:45 pm

I totally forgot the meeting aswell!!! Stupid pregnant brain. To top it off Matilda has been vomitting for 8weeks now .we have finally found out that she is a coeliac ( can't eat gluten)like Murray. We have to keep feeding her wheat for another 8weeks till we go to hospital for further testing. It is so horrible making her eat things that make her sick.

Mel are u pregnant? How many weeks are u. I am 23 weeks now it is going so fast!!
I have no holidays planned to disney for a while....how depressing...i will just have to live through all your adventures!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon May 17, 2010 10:01 am

Unfortunately we didn't forget, just couldn't get ourselves going to get over there, we had a very busy weekend. Sounds like it was a great meeting, hope everyone had a great time. I'm sorry I missed meeting Buzzard :lol: .
Mel are u pregnant? How many weeks are u. I am 23 weeks now it is going so fast!!
Maybe Greg should create a nursery section, it seems to be catching.
we have finally found out that she is a coeliac
At least you know what it is now, which is a relief I'm sure. Now Murray will be able to share meals with someone else when you go out in future.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Mon May 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Yup :) Only seven weeks along for me. We're expecting a New Year bub :)
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri May 21, 2010 3:35 pm

Congrats Mel! Although you probably won't get this until after your trip. Does this mean you will have morning sickness again in TDR?
Last edited by churros on Fri May 21, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri May 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Yes Keith I got a photo of Julie's collection plus a few more...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/disneydown ... 105070516/

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri May 21, 2010 4:54 pm

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri May 21, 2010 5:42 pm

Thanks for the thorough run down of the meeting guys... -/ was great to see the photos and video.

really wish I could make it to more... :(

Lisa.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri May 21, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks Beth - those are great!

How cool is Gerard's fluffy?
Keith

Trip history:

makeminemusic
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby makeminemusic » Mon May 24, 2010 3:40 pm

Congraulations on your 100th meeting!! And to Barry and Narrell!! Wow!! HKDL for free!! Awesome. We had our club meeting today at MountainEar Greg's house. He has a great 2 gun Mickey collection along with his passion for John Hench material.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue May 25, 2010 8:06 pm

Congraulations on your 100th meeting!!
Thanks Ken! It was a fun night with some nostalgia from the early days at the club and lots to look forward to in the future like our upcoming club trip to HKDL in March 2011.

Now if only Disney would reopen a few Disney Stores in Australia (just one in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane will do!) - we all miss the days when we had exclusive club Disney Store nights!

Thanks for posting the pictures of your May meeting online - it looks like there was a lot of interesting items on display. I really liked the look of that plan of Disneyland! I love the photos of your meets - thanks for sharing them :)
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed May 26, 2010 1:16 pm

Now if only Disney would reopen a few Disney Stores in Australia (just one in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane will do!)
Brisbane! Who cares about Brisbane? The Gold Coast I think you meant.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu May 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Brisbane! Who cares about Brisbane? The Gold Coast I think you meant.

Greg
Well Greg if they open one in Brisbane I'm sure you won't be complaining about travelling up the road a bit!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun May 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Well Greg if they open one in Brisbane I'm sure you won't be complaining about travelling up the road a bit!
I don't know...Brisbane <shudder>.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Down Under Disneyana News”